Cinders31
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Water

[Post New]by Cinders31 on May 27, 11 9:49 AM
t was fast and easy. a disappointment as the other ones I played were longer play time because of getting stumped here and there. this was just running around for items as far as I am concerned. two thumbs down.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on May 27, 11 11:05 AM
Comment only: Having purchased the CE back when it came out I decided to download and play the SE just to see how far I got. The review site only gave it 2 stars and took the developers to task for several issues. They had given the first a full five stars, the second 4 & 1/2, the third 4, and the fourth 3 & 1/2. I have been using that site for a good gauge on games ( & for walk throughs)long before I found BF. It's a shame, really that the developers are becoming in a word, lazy. I did comment in my review/ comment of the CE that I was somewhat disappointed in paying for a CE that was so short. It took me a little over an hour to play the main game the second time I played & that's without skipping Lyra's comments, cut scenes, or minigames. I can't really count the first time I played because I had to frequently pause the game in order to take care of other things and apparently, even when you pause the game the clock is still running so it was over 5 hours. I really don't know that I would purchase another game in this series. It's a shame really as it has a lot of potential.

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on May 27, 11 11:33 AM
Given the above comments, I felt discouraged, but downloaded and played for a short time. Yes, it is repetitive but pleasant to play. It has been so long since I played the others in this series that I have no comparison.

That having been said, I am enjoying it for the colors and graphics. If nothing else, they are unique to this developer. Actually, reminds me of some of the concepts in the Snark series. I didn't buy the CE because of cost overruns (mine) and also in consideration of the comments in this forum. I'm glad I didn't buy the CE. However, I have a credit and will use it on the BOW. (Hope this doesn't denote bow-wow )

I enjoy all of your comments and rely on them. The community of the forum is a great asset to BF. I wouldn't be as immersed in the games as I am without it. The forum adds depth and texture to the gaming experience. Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Best wishes for the long weekend.

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on May 27, 11 12:16 PM
Because of the comments on the CE board, I waited for the SE version and bought it as a free game credit. Glad it was free because it is about half the length of most SE games and more than a little repetitive. However, the graphics are gorgeous. About the comment that the developers are "lazy" ........... I think it is more that the higher ups are pressing for the game to be released too soon. It is probably a case of a non developer setting a deadline for the developers. Either that or the pressure to put something (anything) out ASAP. Been there.

[Post New]by jwiedow on May 27, 11 12:41 PM
I wasted my free game credit on this game. It is too short and the puzzles are too easy. Very disappointing!!

lizmcduff
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by lizmcduff on May 27, 11 12:53 PM
Balula wrote:finished the game in under 2 hours
that is not what I expected from a Dream chronicles game...
Kind of disappointing!!!

i agree! i used a game credit to buy it and finished it quite quickly! i even got bored at times and quit the game to do other things so i',m not sure exactly how long it took! but i will def think twice b4 i buy another dream chronicles!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 27, 11 2:12 PM
I've always enjoyed the beautiful Dream Chronicles series, but from the reviews, I won't get my hopes up on this one. Too bad, for the theme song from Romeo & Juliet is in the symphony sound track of this one, which I absolutely love and play on my harp. I will try the demo, and can only hope it is not as short as other say. :-(

[Post New]by wezleysmum on May 27, 11 2:24 PM
I purchased the Book of Water and im so dissapointed. Never will I purchase a Dream Chronicle game again, unless the Gms get their act together and give me a more chalenging game. The first 2 games I loved its gone down hill since pffffffffffffffffffffttt.

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on May 27, 11 3:21 PM
This series has gone downhill and it's a shame too. I did the demo of the CE and might have bought the SE because I found it interesting even being short then I thought about the big picture...

Back to the subject at hand,

Graphics are nice

Similar soundtrack, tho not annoying

VERY SHORT.. I looked up where I was in the game according to a walkthrough... Whew... I would have slowed down and savored it as a purchase if not for the antics...

What PF needs to do is get their head out of the sand and develop games, not let a 14 yr old have a run at it.

Yes my criticism is harsh, but for a reason. They paired up with BF to have more time to develop their games while BF handled sales. It doesn't appear that is happening... Maybe if they got their hands out of Facebooks candy jar and realized that PC and Mac is their sustainable customer base then they might have something.

Another thing I can't understand, why would a game company sink oodles of money into developing games for an online site that could be taken offline at the whim of the owner? Is it good business sense to put most of your eggs in someone else's basket????

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 27, 11 3:36 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there LovetoMissLisa,
Yes, I too was wanting to continue on with this series - just has that special "something". It was a pity that the devs decided to make the second set CEs which actually had less game play than the first three.
I am looking forward to continuing my journey.
Cheers

I agree, I will still continue the journey. Let's just hope the dev make the next one better.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 27, 11 3:59 PM
lilprincessred13 wrote:This series has gone downhill and it's a shame too. I did the demo of the CE and might have bought the SE because I found it interesting even being short then I thought about the big picture...

Back to the subject at hand,

Graphics are nice

Similar soundtrack, tho not annoying

VERY SHORT.. I looked up where I was in the game according to a walkthrough... Whew... I would have slowed down and savored it as a purchase if not for the antics...

What PF needs to do is get their head out of the sand and develop games, not let a 14 yr old have a run at it.

Yes my criticism is harsh, but for a reason. They paired up with BF to have more time to develop their games while BF handled sales. It doesn't appear that is happening... Maybe if they got their hands out of Facebooks candy jar and realized that PC and Mac is their sustainable customer base then they might have something.

Another thing I can't understand, why would a game company sink oodles of money into developing games for an online site that could be taken offline at the whim of the owner? Is it good business sense to put most of your eggs in someone else's basket????

princess read my spanked thread. this dev is cluless about any problems with the dc series

NikkiBikki
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiBikki on May 27, 11 4:06 PM
I liked this game, although I would have to agree with many who commented on the CE version to say the game is too short and lacks the quality of the first Dream Chronicles series.

I did enjoy that we were not just collecting dream jewels for nothing this time and that they actually had a purpose in this game.

Felt the graphics were great and enjoyed the mini games but I just felt this game lacked something and that the developers just reused scenes from the last game. I had a sense of dejavu at one part of the game and thought I had already played this game only to realise that the scene I was looking at was exactly the same as one in the Book of Air, which to me seems a little slack on the developers part.

I am very glad I did not pay for the CE version and waited for the SE

Would give this game about a 3&1/2 out of 5 and that may be being generous

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on May 27, 11 6:35 PM
Dream Chronicles-------beauty in a skin deep.

Such a shame!

[Post New]by Trixxter on May 27, 11 7:12 PM
I (stupidly) downloaded this one straight away before trying the demo; I'm a great fan of the other DCs and have played through all past Collector Editions. I am so dissapointed! I love the series, the graphics are beautiful, soundtracks great and the storylines flow nicely. This also can be said for the "Book of Water". But...I don't know. It's missing something. Maybe it's the monotone voicework, or the reused sets (I'm sure this is meant to be a 'hats off' to the regular DC players, but it just felt a bit cheap to me) or possibly the pace; so fast! But for me, I think the real problem was the linear gameplay! So few rooms, stacked actions, no places to get lost and no good puzzles to get your teeth stuck into.
I didn't mind the Book of Air, I felt it added an interesting touch with the airship. However, having taken that out of the equation, this just feels like a knock off run of the mill HOG puzzle adventure, which could never have been said about the series previously.

[Post New]by EdFromJersey on May 27, 11 9:28 PM
Was very disappointed by how short the playing time of this game was, I am reluctant to purchase the CE games anyway, this made not want to get one ever again. Wait on this one

FATRC
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by FATRC on May 27, 11 11:04 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
unclewally wrote:
(clip) All in all though I still don't wish I had waited on today's release of the SE . . . .I wish I had waited on it to be the DD!
unclewally

Hi there unclewally,
Well I have a PC credit saved for this one, so it is effectively a free game - and DDs cost me much more that the advertised $US DD price!!
Cheers[/quote
DragonLady Oz i pursume u r in australia i am and when i buy a game i always pay in USdollars as our dollar is higher at the moment and the games dont cost me as much,when u go tpo buy change the currency from yrs to us and see if there is a difference

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 27, 11 11:08 PM
I sure hope that the developers are following this thread and that they take a look at what those of us who paid twice the price had to say in the CE forum on this game.

It's really a pity because DC used to be a first-rate series.

Edited on 05/27/2011 at 11:09:22 PM PST

[Post New]by firstlady123 on May 28, 11 7:23 AM
Dream Chronicles the book of Water is a HUGE HUGE HUGE disappointment. There isn't hardly anything to do. The rooms are the same rooms as before but don't have anything to do in them hardly at all. I kept expecting something - ANYTHING - to happen in the rooms. No intense puzzles, no hidden items. I have the other dream chronicles and have to say this one wasn't worth the money or the time. Done in under 2 hours... What a sad excuse for a game.

moralera
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by moralera on May 28, 11 10:39 AM
Wait till the games price drops to $2.99..The game was TOO SHORT and the "graphics" were NOT there as in previous versions..Plus the puzzles were too EASY..
A waste of time and money...

unhappyplayer
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by unhappyplayer on May 28, 11 2:00 PM
Glad I didn't buy the collectors edition. What a waste. You hooked us with the first three. But now these are just bunk. Will play the free demo, but won't be buying again. Unless it's worth my while and my money.

Go to: