AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Inn: Driftwood

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 29, 11 2:54 AM
Comments:

I must agree that the inn manager certainly is chipper! I didn’t find her voice annoying so much as there was just too much of her talking. However, after going into options and unchecking the tutorial, she calms down quite a bit. After that most of what she says is in bubbles that can be clicked through. The cat is adorable and it sure delighted me a couple of times. There is probably less interaction with them than there was with the characters in Gardenscapes. I might be wrong but, I don’t think you can click on them and get them to do things.

The searches were fine enough for me and I really enjoyed the nice little touches that I ran into during them. I think the room loading times were a bit sluggish, though.

I’m a big fan of Gardenscapes. I like this too. I’m not sure that I like it as much but, I did enjoy renovating the inn and I made quite a bit of progress within the trial. A quick survey of the locks left to open seems to show that there is still much more to improve. Like Gardenscapes, there are only 3 basic design options per item that you can choose from. I wish that it had more than that because it’s my favorite part of the game.

I think this is the kind of game that is nice and even charming in small doses at a time when I might not want to get into something complex. I won’t have to worry about remembering the story or where I last went and what I last did. It probably would not be as fun to play very long in one sitting, though.

ETA:

After, I bought the game, I started a new profile to see if I could learn more from the tutorial. The inn manager barely speaks at all now even if I choose the tutorial. She still teaches me how to play but she tells me what to do in the bubbles mostly. I found that the room loading times were no longer sluggish, either.

I have made more comments after I finished playing the game on page 4 if you are interested.

Edited on 05/29/2011 at 10:27:14 PM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 29, 11 3:19 AM
To me when it shows with SPARKLES where the items are. I am done. Went on my deletion list. And that woman drove me up the wall. No sale.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on May 29, 11 3:25 AM
Sweet and charming. The inn manager has a slightly irritating voice, but the music is pleasant. The graphics are clear and there appear to be two different kinds of searches: one to find objects and the other to put them in their places. Colors are soft and pleasing, and there is a timer option. Like that. Definitely like have the option of timer or not. It's not complicated, and I venture to say, it's probably on the short side considering how far I am after 30 minutes, but I will probably be using my credit for it. There is a bit of a wait for scenes to load, but not really all that long. The only thing I did not like were the (spoilier?) poppers that were supposed to be clues. They were too fast for me and not particularly helpful. All in all, I am happy with the game, and give it a

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on May 29, 11 4:34 AM
A delightful game indeed.

If you would like to have a break for a few hours and enjoy a fun game this is it.

Dream Inn: Driftwood is about visiting and old manor and doing it up.
To do so you will need to find objects and collect gold coins, to liven things up there are a few extra things to click on in each scene which add to the fun.

There's more to this game than just collecting coins (to enable you to do the place up) so its a game that needs to be played for at least the full hour to get an idea of whats in store.

It was a buy for me and with BF 9th Birthday offer I consider this purchase very worthwhile.

To the game developers my comments are:
1. PLEASE stop with the overclicking penalties - I felt dizzy with rapidly moving cursor

2. Some items would not be 'placed' with the cursor even though the item was being placed correctly (discovered on taking a Hint)

3. Some items were placed so far to the right or left it was difficult to collect them.

Despite this hopefully, consctructive criticism, I would definately buy again.

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on May 29, 11 5:01 AM
[I quite liked this but I want to fire that woman for calling me dear and love all over the place! My cursor seems a bit sluggish on this but I will probably buy though as I like doing things up

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on May 29, 11 5:29 AM
OMG I have been waiting 6 months for this game to come out and the reviews don't sound so good . Still have to DL and try for myself because I'm a freak for decorating.

Lule68
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by Lule68 on May 29, 11 5:38 AM
Just finished it in easy mode and I do not regret buying it. Took me about 4 hours total and found it very relaxing. The graphics are very nice and once each room is finished it really is beautiful! Yes, her voice is a bit annoying and yes, the loading time between scenes is a bit slow but over all it was perfect for a Sunday morning.

There are 16 rooms and you visit each room 3 times. Once to find things that don't belong in that room but are needed to unlock the next room. Once to put back the items that were found in the other rooms and one more time to find 15 items to sell, 15 shells, pocket watches and so on. As soon as you're done with that room it is rented out which gives you 5 additional coins per room, per day.

Restoring the outside is lots of fun and there is quite a bit to do, including a guest house. I also liked the seasonal decorations and thought that was a nice touch. If you liked Gardenscapes, at least give this one a try!

ETA: I had no technical problems and never got the floating cursor since I'm not a frantic clicker.

Edited on 05/29/2011 at 5:51:16 AM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on May 29, 11 5:48 AM
There are no demons or pentagrams here. In fact everything is bright and cheerful.
It reminded me of "GardenScapes" with some elements from the "Little Shop" series. Some of the objects are well concealed, and the opening cut-scene was well done.
Figuring out where to place items in rooms was fun, though it suffers from too much dialogue and low resolution graphics.

snags2
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by snags2 on May 29, 11 6:13 AM
I love Gardenscapes and found this a weaker copy. The Hotel manager's voice didn't bother me because i never play with the sound on, unless necessary. Her constantly 'babying me' through was definitely annoying. This is a game to play when your day's been hard and the brain is reluctant to function. The artwork is delightful and bright the objects to be found are hidden just right.... I'm thinking for this - I think it's one for the family.
I enjoy swimming in the pond with all you wonderful fishes.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on May 29, 11 6:18 AM
I'm so glad I tried the game although I alway's appreciate the c&r's. I am really enjoying the play and the voice is not annoying to me as I have many British friends here in the US and she seems to fit right in with them. The coins are a bit small but for me it adds to the length of the game. This really is a take your time type of game. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon. And though many have mentioned this game being like Gardenscapes it still has it's own flavor which makes it stand out on it's own. Thanks to the developers for their hard work over the past year and for finally releasing this. I know it's your first go at it for this type of game but I'll be waiting to see what else you develop.

[Post New]by CATTIECATHY1 on May 29, 11 6:23 AM
I tried this and it was 'Draggy ., I Bought Puppet Show and it Won't Play , Chisel and Head in Scenes Was Missing . Played on Diffrent Computer and The Dance Hall Won't Quit Daning ! Couldn't Move On ! Was Suppouse to be Fixed but it's NOT ! I'm Getting Really Worried About getting Any Games From Big Fish anymore ! I Write them and they Don't get back to You !! I'm about Ready to Close my Acct ! Seems like There R Alot of Problems With Their Games Lately !

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on May 29, 11 6:25 AM
After reading all the negative reviews I was somewhat disheartened because I was kind of intrigued with a different kind of HOG! I also like seeing a kind of brighter and lighter IHOG as well. I like dark HOGs but at the same time I am getting tired of them and it's good to see something different coming down the pike! I appreciated GOOFYDUCK's review. I did not like Gardenscape at all and so I am willing to give it a go because it seems like it is a little different because it has a HOG flair to it. I also like AvgSpock's tip on how if you "unclick the tutorial" the woman's "Whiney voice" calms down quite a bit and then you can just click through what she says in bubbles so that is good to know! I am willing to try it for myself to see what it is since the graphics look just beautiful! I love the look of the old inn! It looks rather Victorian in a way!
Anyway...be back after the demo!

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on May 29, 11 7:38 AM
PB2010 wrote:Was looking forward to a nice relaxing afternoon IHOGgin - but definitely not with this!

Totally agree with this comment...I did finish the demo purely to kill an hour but should've just gone back to one of my old familiars.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 29, 11 7:42 AM
Found the game quite relaxing but I just can't stand the lady. If I was to buy the game, first thing, I would fire her or she would have to beheave and not interfere every five minutes. Otherwise graphics are pretty good, you sometimes have to use a hint to put an object back and it shows you the very place where you wanted to put it, kind of annoying. Turned the sound off as I got sick and tired with the endless chit-chat of the girl. Not a bad game and with the sale a lot of people could have a nice sunday playing it.
Gardenscapes all over the place, did I miss something ? Off to check that.

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on May 29, 11 8:01 AM
I betad this game and I found the reviews dead on. While I enjoy HOGS of all types, every once in a while it is really nice to have a simple, brainless HOG where you just sit and find things. I have many HOGs that are still sitting on my computer not finished because, while I really LIKE them, I can't remember where I was . I am usually watching tv while I play games, and they can divide up my time too much. (bwahahahaha)

Yes, it definitely compares to Gardenscapes. But, imho, it isn't fair to compare it to Gardenscapes. That game is developed by Playrix, the developer of my beloved Royal Envoy. Therefore, nothing would ever compare favorably.

Happy Gaming!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on May 29, 11 8:04 AM
Reminded me too much of Gardenscapes. It is a no buy for me.

I don't particularly like the simplicity and general 'feel' of it. I also quickly tired of the repetition. Graphics are good but the game play doesn't work for me.

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on May 29, 11 8:47 AM
i downloaded, and then was told the Trial period had expired! Never played it.
So I won't be buying it either. Not a pig in as poke. I don't go to other sites, so how did I play it before? Makes no sense.

I have and loved Greenscapes. Played it more than once. Hope to see more of that kind.

mcbay111
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by mcbay111 on May 29, 11 8:58 AM
Thank you Goofy! Love your reviews and actually look for them to help me decide if I really want a game or not. The best thing of all is that
you are totally unbiased which is very refreshing. I know there are a lot of fishies in the pond that also appreciate your great reviews. Not that others aren't good because I read them all. Have a great memorial day everyone. I was born on that day and am turning the big 60!! LOL funny I do not feel any different. lol. Jacki

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 29, 11 9:03 AM
Well, as an experienced gamer of more then 15 years, I guess I'm privy to say, I'm pretty versatile. I can go from hard to easy (like this game), and from dark to light & airy (again, like this game), and in a variety of game genres. It really depends on what suits my game mood at the time. Could be an action packed adventure game, TM, or HOG. Guess that also qualifies me to being a die hard gamer, or just a leisure game addict! LOL The only thing that steps in the way of my busy days, are other more pressing responsibilities.

I love the Victorian era, so for me, this was an immediate demo try. Downloading it now in fact. Hope the voice as others have stated, is not too irritating, because that can indeed can be grating on ones nerves. We shall see, we shall see. Hope to like it, as the graphics in my opinion look very nice.

For all who celebrate Memorial Day, ENJOY! And thank-you to all the many men and women (including many in my family), who have served my country to preserve our freedom. God Bless you all, and may peace one day come to fruition for all in this world.

Edited on 05/29/2011 at 9:53:42 AM PST

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on May 29, 11 9:14 AM
Well I like the idea of makeover games, and as many others have said, Gardenscapes sets the standard.

But a house makeover is a good idea - especially with a vacation theme- and so I was keen to try this (the only other house makeover one I've tried was Mary Something( ) Fixer Upper and that was hopeless.

The graphics for the Inn are beautiful, and the choice of upgrades is good.......the HOG scenes are fine - a bit grainy -
but that pesky woman was so annoying.....styled like an old woman but with a young face, and then all that chattering she was doing.....crazy . The music was a bit annoying too. Oh and with what currency can you fix things up with less than 100 units? Gardenscapes was more realstic there......

So sadly it's a "no buy" from me
but it's NEARLY a good game
and if the devs had just taken a bit more care with it, to research what we fishies want to play, it could have been a winner.

I do feel there is room for makeover games. From my point of view, it gives me a chance to "do" something that in real life I don't have the time or money to do..
so for those of us in a mid-life crisis they're a great way of achieving something on-screen while our own lives are in chaos/a rut/whatever

Go to: