[Post New]by stevieferr on Jun 4, 11 1:31 PM
yeh lot easier to understand lol

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

Re:CEs versues SEs

[Post New]by equusjoy on Jun 4, 11 1:34 PM
I think buying CEs or SEs is a personal thing. Either you want the extra game play (not the wallpaper!) or you don't. My issue is that, for me, there aren't any good games out there to play except the CE or SE. Where are you all getting all the demos to play? I haven't seen anything that interested me for awhile. I don't care for TM games (with a few exceptions), I don't like large file games, don't like any game with a Timer, I will demo a good **** game, but won't buy one. I love the type of game that comes out as CEs, what happened to that type of regular game?

Sorry if this sounds too negative, but it's just the way I feel lately. I love but I am concerned with the changes. I have credits that will expire if I don't find something to purchase.

Joy

Edited on 06/04/2011 at 1:36:06 PM PST

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jun 4, 11 2:08 PM
Hi equusjoy

Have you checked out The Fool, Tearstone, The Tiny Bang Story, etc. These were just SE's. The Treasures of Mystery Island: The Ghost Ship was particularly good, and quite long.

Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock and Agency of Anomolies: Mystic Hospital were CE's recently released as SE's

Kel

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Jun 4, 11 2:21 PM
Hi Kel,

Yes I have all those games. The Tiny Bang Story is the only one I didn't purchase. Did any of those come out this week? For some reason I was feeling like there wasn't anything of interest to me this week. Maybe I need to take a vacation. Stay away for awhile and come back to discover all the goodies??

Thank you Kel,
Joy

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 4, 11 3:06 PM
@ equusjoy - Check out this thread that I started a while back about BF's hidden gems. They may not be games that you would normally think you would play, but they're all good games that are well-liked by the people recommending them. You might find some "hidden gems" that you'll enjoy. I know that I found a number of good games from that thread - games I might not have ever tried because they weren't what I normally play.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/157547.page

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 4, 11 11:47 PM
I was grumpy when I made my post a couple of days ago because I was tired and wanted to try something new to escape work, but I have read everyone's comments with great interest.

@Krissywillow: You are absolutely right about downloading old games, which is what I have done this weekend. My real point, however, is that a better business strategy is to space out the CEs and the SEs so that everyone has games to demo and/or purchase because BFG would probably sell more games and satisfy more customers by doing so. IMHO, this is just capitalism 101.

@Stevieferr and Sinshak: I never want wallpaper or music downloads or concept art, but I do sometimes enjoy the bonus play. I'm not complaining about the $13.99 price tag for a really good CE, but several recent CEs have been too short with uninteresting and uncreative bonus play, which is just a bad business strategy. I'm not sure, for example, that I will even demo [/u]Book of Fire[u] when it comes out. I read that the Dream Chronicles developers hired a marketing firm, which, if true, is unfortunate: the game had loyal fans because the developers were so creative, but the marketers clearly only thought about the big bucks they could earn, and many of us are no longer fans of the game. Ironically, the "business" people seem not to have understood that satisfying the customer (which the developers clearly understood) is a foundational principle of good business.

For those of you who posted about the length of time that it takes SEs to come out--I'm with you: to have to wait 3-4 weeks between a demo and the SE would indeed dampen enthusiasm for the game. Since I'm thinking of moving into the only SE camp, I may just not demo CE games but, as Krissywillow suggests, play old games until the SE comes out.

I really enjoy the give and take of forum posts, and I greatly appreciate all of your responses to my "rant."

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 5, 11 12:20 AM
Hi there,
How about releasing the CE version as TGT and then TNR 24 hours later with the SE version released as a Soft Release a further 24 hours later 48 hours after the CE version was released? Everyone would get used to it if something like this was published as the standard regimen.
Keeps the CE "Special" as an early release and still has a delay factor.
This would enable everyone to trial and assess the worthiness of some of the extras (SG, maybe morphing objects etc) along with gain an overall feeling for the game.
The CE addicts (like me) can still get their hit early, and the SE purchasers will be able to do so in a much more timely manner.
Seems a win/win situation to me. Keep both happy.
I really don't think it would affect the overall sales of a decent game at all - maybe a shift from CE to SE (or even vice versa if the comparison was enabled earlier).
Cheers

Edited on 06/05/2011 at 12:21:47 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 5, 11 12:22 AM
equusjoy wrote:Hi Kel,

Yes I have all those games. The Tiny Bang Story is the only one I didn't purchase. Did any of those come out this week? For some reason I was feeling like there wasn't anything of interest to me this week. Maybe I need to take a vacation. Stay away for awhile and come back to discover all the goodies??

Thank you Kel,
Joy

Dear Equusjoy,

I have had days when I too have wondered whether I shouldn't take a break from BFG, but I usually just tide myself over with previously played games. I primarily use TM games in a dry spell--Royal Envoy, My Kingdom, the Youda games, Life Quest--because they are easy to play and easy to cut off.

I would recommend Tiny Bang Story because you can't skip ANYTHING, which really made me face that I'm not good at certain mini-games. So, I set out to (im)prove myself, and that personal decision has now sloshed over into my general gaming: I don't use hint buttons and don't skip puzzles anymore.

I also use a "reading" strategy: I reread every Harry Potter novel when the next installment came out, so I often download the previous game to prepare myself for the new one.

I guess I'm an optimist: when there's a dry spell, I always assume that the rain will fall in a couple more days.... Anyway, whether you take a break or continue to play, best wishes.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 5, 11 12:32 AM
@Bpup: when I was re-reading your response (after having just written one to equusjoy), I realized why I usually replay TM games (which aren't my preferred genre) rather than replaying adventure/IHOG games: TM games always have variants: in Royal Envoy, for example, you occasionally get merchants who offer bad deals and you don't get gold for the level.

I do re-play IHOG/FROG/adventure games, but usually only do so after several months have passed and I can't remember the details. But I agree that the thrill is a bit tarnished: once you have solve the IHOG/FROG/adventure game once, it's a little less fun because you know it can all be solved and are just trying to remember how you did it the last time....

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 5, 11 12:44 AM
My apologies for making so many posts, but people raised such interesting issues.

@ StevieFerr: I basically agree with much of what you posted, but I wondered as I read your post whether BFG has criteria that it gives to developers for what makes a CE and what makes an SE. If BFG has a checklist (wall papers, music downloads, bonus content, concept art, strategy guide), then BFG would have a hard time telling developers "No, your game doesn't meet the criteria for a CE," even if the game play is short. With apologies to anyone who likes these features, who cares about concept art, wall papers, and music downloads? Most of us buy CEs for the bonus chapter; some of us buy CEs for the strategy guide.

Maybe the problem is that BFG needs to stiffen its requirements for what is a CE and what is an SE on the basis of the game play, which is what most of us customers value.

Edited for spelling and grammar

Edited on 06/05/2011 at 12:47:23 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 5, 11 6:32 PM
No need to apologize for posting! That's the whole point of a forum thread.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 5, 11 6:35 PM
@ Lucy1997 - I tend to turn to the mahjong, match-3, and solitaire games when I need a break from the HOGS, iHOGs, etc. I've also got Syberia going, and play that on-and-off every now and then.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 6, 11 10:19 PM
Ooh, Syberia--I do so admire you! I got it because my sister was a Myst fanatic and loved Syberia. I have to confess, I didn't really like it: it seemed too linear in the order that you had to solve the problems, but in this totally non-linear environment. I still feel that I should have enjoyed it more, but, then she's my big sister....lol.

Go to: