Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for AGON: The Lost Sword of Toledo

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 7, 11 12:56 PM
darkdisciple1313 - are you sure you're talking about this game? You mean you have played it already?

It might be unusual that there are lengthy dialogs (or readings) in classic adventure games. But sometimes the plot is quite complex and needs explanation. If there was no explanation, you could say "what is this? Why do I have to do this or that? Where's the logic?"

Look at this game as a movie: so many things happen and so many tasks you have to solve, and all point to a final outcome. You have to understand the plot to get there. This is done by a longer dialog at the beginning. Anyway, dialogs can be skipped by pressing Esc (careful, there are many clues there!)

Try it and then decide if it really was lacking game and puzzles...

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jun 7, 11 1:48 PM
I have bought this game now as it is a real challenge and I am really enjoying it. After I bought AGON: from Lapland to Madagascar from this series, I hesitated to try this game at first, because the other one confused me, but the more you play these kind of games and persevere with them, you will get used to them. anyway I'm so glad I bought this game now, and I look forward to the next instalment!!

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Jun 7, 11 1:50 PM

darkdisciple1313 wrote:
If you take a huge, huge game such as Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

DAMN THE SLAUGHTER FISH!!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!!

LOL

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 7, 11 5:40 PM
I absolutely love large file adventure games. I wish Big Fish would offer more of them. I think the graphics in this game are beautiful and I like the 360 deg. views. but after looking at the walkthrough it didn't look exciting enough to me. I wanted to be able to run around and explore more of the streets and alley ways, cafes and the gardens of Spain. It appears that the scenic possibilities are limited and there is little exploring to do. I am not shouting "Ole" on this one, so sadly for me I will pass on buying it. I would have snapped this game up in a heartbeat if the scenic possibilities had not been so under utilized.

[Post New]by k1rhea on Jun 7, 11 5:58 PM
I was so leery of this game after trying AGON: from Lapland to Madagascar. It was a more difficult game to adjust but I was pleasantly surprised with this one! I did not mind the dialogues since it gave me clues and explained the storyline. Yes, I could have read the verbiage faster but I thought the voices and animation added to the game. However, that said, it is nice to know there is a way to skip through.

I found this game a delightful break from the other games we have been offered lately. I did not think the movement was difficult to master and it did not make me dizzy.

I hope a lot of you enjoy this game. Happy gaming!!!

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jun 7, 11 6:29 PM
Thanks so much for letting me know I can get captions in this game. I had written it off but just downloaded again and here we go.

Now that I can read the text I can understand everthing he's saying. Strange how that works. IRL I can understand people talking to me better if I can see their lips.

Edited on 06/07/2011 at 6:38:03 PM PST

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jun 7, 11 10:07 PM
I LOVE large file games and intricate plots. I get excited every time a new one is available. I enjoy the graphics and exploring all the areas and getting nervous when the music sounds sinister. This game looked promising with nice graphics and what seemed to be an intelligent and complex story line. I enjoy chatting with the characters, too. This is the first time this type of game has disappointed me. I got bored listening to all the dialogue. I tried to go exploring and was very limited in where I could go. I looked for clues in the painter's room and found it extremely difficult to focus in on any area. The cursor movement is rather strange and doesn't work well. Didn't even know there was a desk drawer to open until I read it in this forum. Generally, I didn't find the game to be user-friendly.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 7, 11 10:24 PM
apples16951 wrote:... The cursor movement is rather strange and doesn't work well. Didn't even know there was a desk drawer to open until I read it in this forum. Generally, I didn't find the game to be user-friendly.

Could it be that you are using a wireless mouse? That could cause "strange" movement of the cursor. Normally, movement should not be difficult and easy to get used to. When turning you have to press the left button and hold it down.

There will be many things to look at and discover in the interiors However, the focus is on the puzzles in this game.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 8, 11 1:59 AM
mhatfie wrote: It appears that the scenic possibilities are limited and there is little exploring to do. I am not shouting "Ole" on this one, so sadly for me I will pass on buying it. I would have snapped this game up in a heartbeat if the scenic possibilities had not been so under utilized.

mhatfie, the locations to explore are inside the buildings in this game. And there is a lot to discover there. The focus is on puzzles, however.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Jun 8, 11 11:25 AM

darkdisciple1313 wrote:
TuffTadpoles wrote:
darkdisciple1313 wrote:
If you take a huge, huge game such as Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

DAMN THE SLAUGHTER FISH!!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!!

LOL

And crabs...always with the crabs...

DAMN THE CRABS!!! DAMN THE BLOWFISH!!! DAMN THE OCTOPUSSES WHO CAN PLAY EIGHT MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS AT ONE TIME!!!

DAMN THEM ALL!!!

I think I need to give up scuba diving and go get a massage.

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by A1psyko on Jun 8, 11 3:16 PM
Love adventure games. This one however is way too much talk, don't care how much you slow down the mouse floating it makes me motion sick. Some people talk to you, some don't but depends on who you talk to first? Seems like a lot of clutter and chatter for no reason. If I could skip it then maybe ok but then I have a strange feeling there wouldn't be much game play. Not a buy for me, not a challenge but a large frustration.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 8, 11 4:14 PM
A1psyko wrote: Seems like a lot of clutter and chatter for no reason. If I could skip it then maybe ok but then I have a strange feeling there wouldn't be much game play. :

There IS a simple way to skip dialogs: press ESC. But only this initial conversation is longer as it has to give you the picture of a quite complex story. There are many clues told by the girl and you need these to proceed.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jun 8, 11 4:34 PM
Excellent game! Intrique, mystery, seems to be a long captivating tour. Lots of twists and turns, so you never know whats around the next corner. Put on your thinking cap cause it's gonna be an exciting exploration. Cheers!

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Jun 9, 11 10:59 AM
what gets me is the save button. it didn't save where I got back to room to do darkroom. i checked and it did not save. I told the bfg that I wanted my money back as I was NOT going to restart this game over for the what would be the 9th time. Sucks marbles considering game crashed yesterday. only thing in inventory is painters room key. everything else disappeared when I tried to save game.

Edited on 06/09/2011 at 11:00:28 AM PST

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 9, 11 11:45 AM
crazy8club wrote:what gets me is the save button. it didn't save where I got back to room to do darkroom. i checked and it did not save. ... only thing in inventory is painters room key. everything else disappeared when I tried to save game.

Yet you have done very well if you got as far as the darkroom Are you sure there are no saves at all in LOAD GAME in the Main Menu? If you did any saves (Menu/Save Game/click a slot) they should be there even if you have to restart the game.

Edited on 06/09/2011 at 11:48:11 AM PST

jenniebugs
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by jenniebugs on Jun 11, 11 1:11 AM
This game requires patience but that patience will be well rewarded. The voice-overs are brilliant and the story line is too. Once you get involved with the interesting characters and the story line you will want to keep coming back to it - as it is very much like a thriller you can get involved with. The conversations at the start were long, but its worth taking note to get a full picture. If you just want puzzles and have no patience for a well told story, then this one is not for you. As for the motion cursor, the trick is to do it slowly so you don't get blurry eyed. As I say, patience! Its just as well there is a walkthrough for the complicated workings out of some of the tasks (I could never work all that out without help!). I am nearly at the end and having trouble placing barrels all over the place. GOOD GAME!! Different from of a lot of stuff out there. I would compare this game for content and interest with Syberia.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Jun 19, 11 11:54 AM
I enjoyed the other Agon games, but this one was a combination of boredom meets frustration, for me. The dialogue is incessant and dull, yet if you don't listen to the extremely protracted blathering, you may miss a clue. The puzzles are too few and when you finally come across one (between the constant conversations), they are overly taxing. Each puzzle aspect must be done in the precise order the game intended, so if you figure out a solution too soon, it simply does not work. Then, other puzzles are so intricate and linear, that they cannot be solved intuitively, at all. I used the walkthrough on this game more often than I ever do. This game was tedious and I regret buying it.

And this sort of game (large file, adventure) is my absolute favorite genre and I have played every Large File game offered by Big Fish! If you enjoy this genre, may I suggest that Journey to the Center of the Earth, Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches, Scratches: Director’s Cut, Dracula 3, Echo, Return to Mysterious Island, Ghost in the Sheet, Atlantis Evolution, Nostradamus, Voyage, and the Art of Murder series (all offered by Big Fish, on this site) are all FAR better games than Agon the Lost Sword, which really should be renamed Agon: The Lost Entertainment.

[Post New]by karenhatch on Jun 22, 11 4:46 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah! Who can get through the trial? I bought the game and the first hour and a half I listened to the characters yap!

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 22, 11 8:21 AM
karenhatch wrote:...the first hour and a half I listened to the characters yap!

Why didn't you skip them if you found them too long? You can press ESC to interrupt dialogs.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jun 22, 11 8:52 AM
Beingknown wrote:... if you don't listen to the extremely protracted blathering, you may miss a clue.

In fact, you could have skipped them and still have all clues as the conversations are logged in the in-game notebook.

Beingknown wrote: ...The puzzles are too few and when you finally come across one (between the constant conversations), they are overly taxing. Each puzzle aspect must be done in the precise order the game intended, so if you figure out a solution too soon, it simply does not work.

There are at least 15 major puzzles, and some of them cover the entire game space.It would be very useful to know which puzzle was it which did not work. The game went through sever testing but if there is a problem it should be corrected. This is most important information for the developer.

Beingknown wrote: ... Then, other puzzles are so intricate and linear, that they cannot be solved intuitively, at all. I used the walkthrough on this game more often than I ever do.

A linear puzzle? Yet this is an absolutely non-linear game where you can choose the order you proceed and it even influences the way you get to the end.
But if you mean the photo development puzzle: that is not really a puzzle, but rather a nearly authentic reproduction of photography in the early 1900s. Yes, you have to follow the procedures strictly, just like in real life. A kind of simulation, if you like (but it seems you don't like...

Beingknown wrote: ...And this sort of game (large file, adventure) is my absolute favorite genre and I have played every Large File game offered by Big Fish!

There are hunderds of splendid classic adventures, hopefully Big Fish will carry on releasing them. Of course these games offer a largely different experience than most casual games.

Go to: