jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice Collector’s Edition

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 23, 11 9:01 AM
firebird40 wrote:I love ERS, but I didn't, in the end, love this game. I bought it, played it to the end, and found it just didn't have the spookiness, interest, and well-developed story line of others. This continues a trend I have noticed in their games-the earlier ones were amazingly complex and well done as far as storyline, but that has gone by the wayside.
The graphics were amazing as always, the music was nice if unexciting. The HOG scenes were fairly easy, the puzzles didn't require a lot of thought for me, and the adventure part of it was easy to figure out as far as where to go, and where found items went.
If I had to sum this game up, I would say markedly uninspired for an ERS game.

I've been feeling that the ERS games have gotten kind of factory formula made with great graphics but kind of uninspired stories and gameplay but at least this one has some historical context. Someone did a little research into Venice and the times of the Black Plague.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 23, 11 9:08 AM
The description of the game "a terrifying Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game" put me off, I used to love their games but they have gone to the grisly and occult so I'm leery and actually was not going to demo the game after having the rug pulled out from under me in Puppetville. A game I was so enjoying until it switched to horror and a gruesome little girl who kills her father! But who doesn't enjoy Venice and gondolas and so setting aside my sarcasm I demoed the game.
This is set in old Venice during the plaque. In Options you may adjust the volume of sound and music. I always lower the music as it can get irritating, but so far it has been very pleasant and I may actually raise it a bit. We only get to view Chapter 1 in the strategy guide, but it is nicely laid out and very helpful. I played in casual mode. Not an hour long demo - completed it in 40 and I was dilly dallying looking at scenery and clicking.
The introduction was well done and peaked your curiosity as to who this Redemption fellow is and why he stole the ladies. I was a bit puzzled about the father/husband first appearing as if he were well to do. In that time period persons of wealth would be more likely to attend a masked ball. But when he hires a detective he's in a back alley meeting portrayed as a poor man with only a couple coins to pay. This was out of character but may come to light further in the story.

The characters are interesting and realistic. Speaking parts well done, the lips actually move with what they are saying. Graphics are very nice, especially those along the canal. A bit dark currently as this first part is at night and I don't know what daytime scenes will be like. Cuts of close ups are lighter. The HOGs for the most part you can find items in reasonable time - there was some fading. I click a lot and there didn't seem to be a clicking penalty. HOG scenes were repeated at least twice but different items of use. Some items were either hidden or you had to do something in order to gain the required item - such as tipping over a bottle of ink to get a spot. One thing I did find annoying was when you clicked on an area having information it disappeared quickly and I'd have to keep clicking on it until I read it or a couple times you are intent on the scene and miss seeing the note because it is at the top.

I am enjoying game play very much, but I will wait to see the walk through to make sure there are no grizzly surprises before buying.

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Jun 23, 11 9:09 AM
Regarding the coins - SPOILER ALERT: I bought the wrong thing from the merchant and spent all my ducats. I don't see how to continue, so it looks like I need to start over

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 9:09:42 AM PST

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jun 23, 11 9:11 AM
My first thought was that this was Pinocchio piloting the gandola...later I saw it wasn't so and am glad because would hate to think that sweet Pinocchino went over to the dark side.

Hidden object scenes, with their interactive parts, are good and with a little searching able to be found. I was able to play over 45 minutes only getting stuck once so it is a great game for me. I like the story and that there are TWO missing persons instead of one...makes it different.

I have never purchased a CE but have 2 credits as we speak. I'll wait till I hear more about the length and the extra game play before I decide. But I'll get the regular edition for sure if I don't get this one.

Forgot to mention that in the hidden object scene I repeated different items were asked for and something I damaged the first time through was still damaged when I got back to it again. I just hate it when we cut something up or break something and come back to the same scene and everything is repaired.

Edited on 06/26/2011 at 1:10:19 PM PST

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jun 23, 11 9:12 AM
This is a run-of-the-mill iH0G with an option for sparkles (yea) or no sparkles. You do have to have a pair of sneakers on but I found it the perfect mix of hidden object and adventure. IMO you should have hidden object scenes in a hidden object game. Some of the puzzles were okay I only skipped one in my 40 mins. Graphics were fantastic, music was light and atmospheric, and the storyline was a little on the light side. All in all I think if the length was good I'd get this one. I normally don't care about concept art, wallpapers and the strategy guide. To me that's all taking up extra space on my computer. But in this case they offer a screensaver which really interests me. I'm still using the Royal Envoy screensaver and wish developers would offer more screensavers instead of all this other stuff.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 9:13:58 AM PST

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 23, 11 9:29 AM
mary102696 wrote:This is a run-of-the-mill iH0G with an option for sparkles (yea) or no sparkles. You do have to have a pair of sneakers on but I found it the perfect mix of hidden object and adventure. IMO you should have hidden object scenes in a hidden object game. Some of the puzzles were okay I only skipped one in my 40 mins. Graphics were fantastic, music was light and atmospheric, and the storyline was a little on the light side. All in all I think if the length was good I'd get this one. I normally don't care about concept art, wallpapers and the strategy guide. To me that's all taking up extra space on my computer. But in this case they offer a screensaver which really interests me. I'm still using the Royal Envoy screensaver and wish developers would offer more screensavers instead of all this other stuff.

Many times if you go directly to the Developers website you can get wallpapers AND screensavers for free. (Number one reason for me why I don't care if they are included in the Collector's Editions. I can usually get them free anyway.)
Try that route and see where it gets you. Hope this helps!!!

Cheers!

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jun 23, 11 10:07 AM
(Based on main game, I haven't finished the bonus play): This game by ERS Studios is set in Venice at the time of a plague. The story begins with the kidnapping of a mother and a daughter. They disappear from a gondola after leaving a masked ball. You, as the detective, are asked by the husband/father to find them. You receive 2 gold ducats as payment. After leaving the father, you will travel to 5 major locations in the game, with multiple rooms/areas on and off of the main site to explore. On your journey to find the missing females, you will need to look closely in all areas, as multiple objects are hidden throughout the game, and you will need this inventory of items to complete the game and rescue both mother and daughter. Length of main game play: It took me 3.5 hours, and I used the Strategy Guide a few times, and also skipped some mini-games. Computer Used: I am using a 10-month old Dell Studio HXPS with a 21-inch widescreen HD monitor, and Win 7. The game played smoothly without lagging on my desktop. I have not tried the game on my laptop. (I mention this because I downloaded Puppetshow III yesterday to replay on my laptop, and was perplexed to find lag time in between scenes, which had not happened on my Desktop PC). Graphics: The scenes of Venice are lovely, and the graphics were clear and non-fuzzy. The hidden object scenes use a familiar ERS style, with shading, so some corners are slightly harder to see. HOG scenes: Fairly easy to find, but I was surprised in this game to have to use some thought processes to figure out how to get some of the interactive items in the HOG scenes. These were more complex to me than in previous games.
(cont'd)

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 10:32:12 AM PST

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jun 23, 11 10:09 AM
(cont'd) A new twist to this game is that you will also look for fans in the HOG scenes, and they will add to your Hint system. (However, I used the hints several times and never ran out of them). There are multiple HOG scenes in this game, and you will revisit each one. The cursor will explode if you overclick excessively. Music: The music is different for this game, and slightly reminiscent of the music in Queen of Spades, but has a different beat and rhythm to it. I had the music and sound options set at mid-way, and had no problems hearing. Voiceovers: I thought they were quite well done this time, better than the voiceovers from Shadow Wolf. (But one character actually sounded the same as a character in Shadow Wolf). Some may feel that the mother is over-emotional, but heck, she's been kidnapped! Storyline: If you have played any of the ;last 6 CEs from ERS, the storyline will feel familiar. It is NOT dark and eerie, and there are no witches, werewolves, vampires or devils, just some bad people. There are some small spiders in the HOG scenes, there are an occasional bug, and there are rats (Well, it is plague time in Venice). For animal lovers, there is a very pretty (and useful) animal in the story. What's Different: In this game, unlike other ERS games, you will collect gold ducats that you will need to buy necessary items from the shopkeeper. There are prices on the items that you buy, and you have limited amounts of gold, so shop wisely and think of what is needed at this moment in the game. Is this a Must Have? I would recommend this game for those who like ERS games, are looking for an entertaining game, and are not looking for a sophisticated, complex adventure game.

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 10:10:52 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jun 23, 11 10:38 AM
firebird40 wrote:I love ERS, but I didn't, in the end, love this game. I bought it, played it to the end, and found it just didn't have the spookiness, interest, and well-developed story line of others. This continues a trend I have noticed in their games-the earlier ones were amazingly complex and well done as far as storyline, but that has gone by the wayside.
The graphics were amazing as always, the music was nice if unexciting. The HOG scenes were fairly easy, the puzzles didn't require a lot of thought for me, and the adventure part of it was easy to figure out as far as where to go, and where found items went.
If I had to sum this game up, I would say markedly uninspired for an ERS game.

Ditto for me, too. I found the advanced play so easy I had to wonder if easy mode is played for you. I don't expect to be told how the puzzles actually work. I like to figure that out for myself. I might be the SE if I was bored, but I wouldn't by the CE.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jun 23, 11 11:04 AM
mycatluna wrote:
mary102696 wrote:This is a run-of-the-mill iH0G with an option for sparkles (yea) or no sparkles. You do have to have a pair of sneakers on but I found it the perfect mix of hidden object and adventure. IMO you should have hidden object scenes in a hidden object game. Some of the puzzles were okay I only skipped one in my 40 mins. Graphics were fantastic, music was light and atmospheric, and the storyline was a little on the light side. All in all I think if the length was good I'd get this one. I normally don't care about concept art, wallpapers and the strategy guide. To me that's all taking up extra space on my computer. But in this case they offer a screensaver which really interests me. I'm still using the Royal Envoy screensaver and wish developers would offer more screensavers instead of all this other stuff.

Many times if you go directly to the Developers website you can get wallpapers AND screensavers for free. (Number one reason for me why I don't care if they are included in the Collector's Editions. I can usually get them free anyway.)
Try that route and see where it gets you. Hope this helps!!!

Cheers!

Why I NEVER knew that! Thank you so much!!!

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jun 23, 11 11:25 AM
At last, the DL completed. Almost 3 hours. After playing for 35 min. I really like it. No ghosts, vampires, talking skulls or spiders so far. The art work is beautiful. I am really tempted to buy it, as I have 4 open spots on my punch card.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 23, 11 12:39 PM
Much better than the tower/pyramid offering last week. A definite buy for me

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 23, 11 1:26 PM
I do not know what to think of this game. It has the usual great ERS graphics, the music is nice, but something is lacking in the game play and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is just a little too easy. I always play on advanced mode and I knew exactly what to do. Others have mentioned the bonus game is rather short, and if the rest of the game play is as easy as what I have already played and I will not need the strategy guide, I will wait for the SE to come out. Just my comments and not a review.

happyasaclam
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by happyasaclam on Jun 23, 11 4:00 PM
hi fishes just want to let you all know this is a super game. you will need at least 3 pairs of sneakers sp. this game fills my 24 inch screen no bars at all yahoooooooooo.there isa lot to do & find art work is great. also super voice overs find the coins are not always where you might think.this game for me is a 5 +++ just want to say if you are on the fence about this. one its well worth the price or credits thank you ERS &b f for another great game keep them coming super happy have a great time ps goofy duck sorry to hear about your pcc i know its no fun hope its up &going soon love to read your comments &reviews take care it will all work out just takes time

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jun 23, 11 4:09 PM
Hi everyone

My grade system:

Gameplay: B-
Music: B
Graphics: A
HOG scenes: B-
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):C ( not hard at all for experienced players)

Overall Grade: B-

There is no doubt that this game is beautiful ( the scenery and graphics are stunning) and that the music and voiceover work is high quality, but this is what we have come to expect from the developer of these games. But, overall, as gorgeous as this game is, it is a run-of-the-mill offering that we have seen many times before with quite easy puzzles, some ridiculously easy, HOG scenes that are also quite easy and gameplay that is not challenging for those of us who have played HOG games on expert or advanced mode in the past. It's too bad that the games from this developer seem to be getting easier and shorter, maybe they are burnt out or something, maybe they are running out of ideas, because they used to be synonomous with must-buy games.

I played the demo which took 35 minutes on expert mode, and found the game to be easy peasy. There is no real challenge in how the objects you find are used, most are very obvious, and the HOG scenes are pleasant but not inspired. I did like that you can "buy" things in the shop using money you find in the game, that is a nice touch but it doesn't make up for what is lacking in the game- any real originality or difficulty for those of us who want to see fresh and innovative ideas in HOPA games, and not the same old offerings from week to week.

The game is lovely, and those players who are new to the genre will enjoy it very much, it is those of us who can play on advanced mode and find the game easy that this game will be a no buy. I really enjoyed last weeks Temple of Night game because it had some innovation with the light-dark conversion in the scenes, I thought that was very original and well done. I might buy this as a SE if I am bored one day but otherwise no buy for me. The game is derivitive and the overall story elements have been done before by better games than this one.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jun 23, 11 4:18 PM
ERS and thanks for the great . "Grim Facade" the people's choice award voted and a . All I can say is "Whoa!" Lov'in it!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jun 23, 11 4:25 PM
Joyfullady wrote: *snip* The description of the game "a terrifying Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game" put me off, I used to love their games but they have gone to the grisly and occult so I'm leery and actually was not going to demo the game after having the rug pulled out from under me in Puppetville. A game I was so enjoying until it switched to horror and a gruesome little girl who kills her father! But who doesn't enjoy Venice and gondolas and so setting aside my sarcasm I demoed the game. *snip*

Gingergal and a few others reviewed that it is not a dark/occult type of game.
Perhaps reading the reviews and of those that have finished will help you decide.

Happy Gaming

I love ERS games! I'll wait to see how long bonus play is, but I can already see I am going to love this one! I am always disappointed when I buy a CE with puzzles that are so complicated and no directions that I have to skip or use guide on every one. Soo happy to see some unique ones in this game, that are not impossible to figure out!

Edited on 06/23/2011 at 4:26:43 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 23, 11 4:57 PM
I agree with Solar Eclipse on this game. I like to know approximately how long a game is before I buy it.
I did really like this game but I didn't see the CE value in the demo hour. The hidden object scenes were very easy as were the minis that I got to play.
The story is great as are the graphics. I liked the voice overs and the idea of collecting coins to buy what you need to progress in the game.
I did like the game as a whole and will be buying it. i just think I will wait for the SE. I think this is to easy and will go to fast to pay for the CE. Who knows though. It may get more difficult as it goes.
At any rate everyone is right! ER games are great!

I give it a 4 out of five.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Jun 23, 11 7:42 PM
Review based on the demo

THE GOOD: This was a wonderfully complicated story with the main character, father to Lisa, and husband to Karla, looking for them after they left for a masked ball and disappeared. It is loaded with twists, turns, and nuances, including a plague and a secret society. The musical score was excellent with a concert quality soundtrack and voice overs in an eerie, spooky tone. The graphics are beautiful, as if a piece of original artwork came to life.

THE BAD: As great as the soundtrack is there is a short part where the music deteriorates into a less than stellar rendition of "Feelings". Additionally, Giovanni, the shopkeeper's, accent sounds more like a mix of Hungarian and Irish than Italian.

THE UGLY: There was a lag between scenes, almost 10 seconds after some of the H.O. scenes and what I call a sticky cursor, where you click to go to another scene and there is a 5 to 6 second lag.

THE VERDICT:
This one is a keeper.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 23, 11 7:51 PM

Thanks, DeapRiver,
Your comments (good, bad, ugly) have convinced me to buy!

Go to: