ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

Re:Review for Escape the Emerald Star

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Jun 24, 11 11:53 AM
I was thinking of rating it 3 stars (it IS well made, for what it is), but I'm more inclined toward 2. Why? I'll tell you.

Read any review for the 12 other games, exactly like this (6 Mystery PI, 4 Amazing Adventures and 2 Escape games), and you'll know exactly what you're going to get. Well, you actually get less, IMO, because the ending "puzzle" isn't actually a puzzle. It's just a couple of minigames that really don't offer much of a challenge.

All 13 games are exactly alike except for the theme and the graphics...even the images in the object searches are primarily the same as all the others, except for a few theme specific items. If you haven't played a straight HOG in awhile, and really like them, then this one's a decent game. Everything is done perfectly (graphics, audio, random object list gameplay and unlockable unlimited and match 3 modes); however, there's not a blessed thing different than the previous 12 games created by Spintop.

It's actually quite tedious, IMO, because you play the same 25 scenes, in one form or another (object search or minigame), approximately 10 times each. Yikes!

Sorry, but I can't recommend it. I'm about SpinTopped out. Seems they've shelved all creativity and innovation and keep trotting out the same, aging, one-trick pony. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." And we're there.

To be fair, the early Mystery PI games were quite good and I did like the first Amazing Adventure. At least they're not all bad like the 16 abysmal HdO Adventure games that Anuman has cranked out (approximately 2 a year, although they no longer market them as HdO Adventures. Embarrassment, or something to hide? LOL).

harkonnen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by harkonnen on Jun 24, 11 3:57 PM
I love these straight HOGs and am so glad that the developer is not hopping on the HOPA bandwagon.
I have the Escape series and the Mystery PI series of games and will continue to buy them as long as they remain straight HOGs with a tiny bit of interaction . (I bought Escape the Emerald Star at the other game site).

Graphics are good, objects are cleverly hidden in plain sight, some of the clues are challenging and I love that the game can be played in untimed mode and that the puzzles can be easily skipped.

Very relaxing game.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Jun 24, 11 11:05 PM
this is going to sound 'crazed'...but i almost forgot how to play a straight hog game...its been awhile...

all the adventure hog games have u 'tapping your fancy feet' all over and really think where the heck am i going and where the heck have i been...do not get me wrong....i enjoy...but will exit my game if flustrated (yes even with a walkthru)...then of course go back?...yes!...addicted of course...

this game looked quite familiar to the other 'spintop' games...which i have not purhased any...so needless to say...graphics, music, puzzles all great!...but only played about twenty minutes...i would recommend it for the 'straight hog' gamer!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 26, 11 3:23 PM
Okay, I'm a long way from 84 years old, but I love these games. I have all of the "Amazing Adventure" games. I'm a major gamer when it comes to straight PC games, e.g. Duke Nukem, Laura Croft, etc, but I love the HOG's, IHOG's, etc. Great graphics, interesting places I have never been, fun games. Thanks! Definite buy for me.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Jun 30, 11 11:56 PM
I almost didn't download this game because the description didn't sound special and I'd already filled by punch card for the month. But when the new month arrived and I tried it, as soon as the name of the developer came on screen I jumped for joy. I have all the Mystery P.I. and Amazing Adventure series, but I didn't even know there was an Escape from series.

What I love about this developer the most (aside from the crisp graphics and crossword style clues) is that you know what you are going to get. I played two games in the Margrave series about a working class girl who inherits a mansion and learns about her grandfather, but in the third game of the series all of a sudden she was a witch. I played MCF: Prime Suspects and got a straight HOG that was funny and light. The next MCF game was dark and spooky. I love knowing what I'm spending my money on, knowing that I won't be disappointed, knowing that I won't have to learn a new interface.

The unlimited seek and find means I get a lot more hours of fun from these games that most others. On the screen where you download the game, there is often a link to a walkthrough. I wish they'd give a link to other games in the series also. I wouldn't have known about them if it wasn't for the great people on this forum. Thank you. I can't wait to try them. I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.

Phantom90
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Phantom90 on Jul 9, 11 7:25 AM
My Wife and I enjoy these games immensely. While I will play IHOG games as well, she enjoys straight HOG games. We found this game to be fun, relaxing with just enough of a challange. We always look forward to games from SpinTop and are already looking forward to the next Escape game. As my Wife says "WTG Big Fish!!"

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Aug 2, 11 5:02 AM
I'm having a great time with this game. No gimmicks; no almost black screens to mask the designers inability to merge the hidden object into the background; no moving back and forth to find objects to be used in another scene. My kinda **** game.

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Escape the Emerald Star

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Aug 8, 12 7:42 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Like many other Spin Top games this had very good HOG scenes and mini games and the background music was ok. The graphics were very good. I would recommend this as a buy.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Aug 13, 12 11:24 AM
Like others, this is the type of game that I love to have in reserve for those times when I have only a few minutes to play. The straightforward HOG gives my brain a chance to do something else and recharge. I never have to worry about forgetting where I am in the game or what items I need, etc. I love HOPAs and IHOGs when I have more time, but these beautifully drawn HOGs are nice to look at and enjoyable for five minute breaks.

[Post New]by carolthescot on Sep 9, 12 12:24 PM
Just finished playing the main game-brilliant Can someone tell me the name of the music played for the mini games-I could listen to it all day-fab!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 10, 12 9:05 AM
I do like to do a straight HOG now and then and the Escape series is one of my favorites. It is a way to relax without too much thinking like in a HOPA or an Adventure game. I do one level at a time and it takes me awhile to do all 25 levels. After doing the main game I save the unlimited seek & find for last as I really enjoy doing those.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 24, 13 3:21 AM
Some of the best hidden object artwork around, I have to admit. Many folks will enjoy finding objects, playing the puzzle games, and accumulating points. I found it tedious and boring, but maybe that's just the mood I'm in. Don't take this game for granted, though. Some of the objects aren't as easy to find as you'd think!

Swtmb
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
426 Posts

[Post New]by Swtmb on Jul 3, 13 6:13 PM
I really enjoyed this hidden object game. My favorite are hidden object games without adventure which is what this game is.

Go to: