cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales From The Dragon Mountain: The Strix

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 27, 11 8:43 AM
FINISHED SPOILER ALERT ...

Highlight to read but ONLY if you want to see my comments about the end of the game.

I chose the Casual and the "not a sparkle to be seen" settings , (will play again in Adventure sometime when it isn't so fresh in my mind to see how much harder it is that way). I used one hint but I did not skip any of the puzzles at all and thus passed a pleasant 3.1/2 ish hours of gameplay ... until I came to the last chapter.

This turned out to be very short indeed and I couldn't believe my eyes. A couple of clicks and a couple of minutes (at most) of M3 play and the game was over.

Sorry Cateia but I found this ending very disappointing and it spoiled the game for me.

I have refrained from using any emoticons whatsoever when writing this in an effort to not give any clues away for those of you who have yet to play it.

Cherb

sarah451
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by sarah451 on Jun 27, 11 8:55 AM
Overall, I'd give it a C+.
Revised: B

Absolutely super options for sound, difficulty level, and widescreen. These developers really listened to complaints about too many sparkles and such, because you can control sparkles, hint recharging, & skip timing.

Story is good. So far it is similar in complexity to most of the rest of the decent games that are out there right now, though I can't say that it really grabs my attention.

Graphics are blocky and clunky. Revised: Graphics are actually pretty good once you get out to the garden.They look like some of the older games that were designed with 3D rendering (Myst, Agon), but there's no 3D in this game. A photograph of Granny and her friend was downright ugly.

The hidden objects are scattered around, a few in each room, rather than all together in one scene. This is really more an adventure game than a hidden object, which is fine as I like adventures.

Mini-game puzzles are dead easy to the point of being a waste of time. An early one with gears had all the same size gears—which didn't touch—and they only needed to be put on the board; no need to solve at all. Another with pipes had all the pieces in place and only two needed to be turned, both of which were highlighted, even in adventure mode. Developers certainly spent minimal time devising these.

Also, although you can skip the dialogs and cut scenes completely, you can't click through them to speed them up. Since I can read much faster than the actors say the lines, I dislike this very much.

I don't know how long it will last, but I got to chapter 3 in less than an hour in casual mode. Personally, I'll wait till it comes out on a deal. I'd play it, but it's not worth a credit to me. Revised: I'll have to look at the walkthrough to see how long I think it might play, then consider using a coupon.

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 9:55:57 AM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jun 27, 11 10:28 AM
Hi everyone
This is a great adventure fantasy game with puzzle elements, problem solving, spectacular realistic graphics and top notch voice over work and musical themes. It is obvious that a lot of love went into making this game. After an enjoyable trial period, I bought the game immediately, but I love these types of games. This will not appeal to everyone ( it is not a HOG), but those of you that give it a try will not be sorry. It is different and challenging.

One great thing about this game is that you can set the difficulty level yourself( choose sparkles or no sparkles for instance, and there are three modes-easy, casual and adventure mode). I played in adventure mode and found the game challenging enough to be fun but not too hard to be frustrating. The hint system is there is you get stuck, which I was a few times, but not too obtrusive. This game lets you solve things yourself in adventure mode, not a lot of hints are given, which adds to the difficulty and fun factor for those of you that like challenges and doing things yourself with minimal help.

The puzzles are mainly inventory types( find the items to solve), and those which you build objects to complete tasks( these are not too hard), and they all make sense in the context of the game. The game progresses nicely through chapters that end each area before you move on to the next one. Each chapter is not really that long, but there is plenty to do in each one. Most people are saying that this game takes about 3 hours to complete, and that is accurate. I reached the close to the end of chapter 2 by demo end, and if there are 6 chapters, that time is about right. However, I feel that it is time well spent and that the game is still worth the money in my opinion. I have enjoyed playing it and look forward to more games like this from this developer in the future.

My grade system:

Gameplay: B+
Music: B+
Graphics: A
Puzzles: B
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):B+

My Overall Grade- B+

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 27, 11 10:38 AM
I was thrilled with the wide screen picture. Wow. I love it. The graphics are well done with great dimensions like shading, etc. It looks very real. The voices are excellent and I didn't think the dialogs were slow at all, they went along at a fairly good pace. I didn't mind the cursor at all. It's a large arrow. The cursors I dislike are the onces with thickness at the end... this arrow has a fine point so I liked it.

I love games with a task list. You know exactly what needs to be done. What I love most about the game (besides the big screen) is NO JUNK PILES! I've vowed to stop buying junk pile HOGS or IHOGS. I prefer games like this one and/or FROGS.

The storyline is a relief after all the dark games lately. So far so good. I couldn't play long as my husband is calling for me to go somewhere, but I will buy it and take my time with this one.

What didn't I like in the game? Too much reading. I hate to read more than a paragraph per scene. This game had the voice reading it but still...too much. We are playing a game not reading a book. Show us; don't tell us.

Everyone should at least try it.

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 10:43:55 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 27, 11 11:13 AM
This game comes to us from Cateia Games in Rijeka, Croatia, and one of the aspects of the game that I thoroughly enjoyed were the specifically Croatian references: I immediately recognized the inscription in the crypt as Glagolitic (which surprised me because I didn't at that time know where the developer was from) and laughed when I had to [spoiler alert] find the Glagolitic equivalents for six letters of the Latin alphabet. The picture of the mountains in Dalmatia was really lovely, though just outside the house the mountains disappeared from the background. The artwork overall was beautifully rendered, and the music was excellent.

I applaud the developers for giving players three options as well as the option of not including sparkles. I like adventure games, with or without hidden object scenes, so I played on adventure mode from the beginning and spent the first fifteen minutes wandering around figuring out what I was supposed to be doing. I avoided looking at the task list after the first time when it gave me an answer to a task before I had figured it out for myself. I was also surprised that many locations had only a single task: I spent many minutes trying to make the game more complicated than it actually was.

I expected the game to be more difficult: I was disappointed that [spoiler alert] I didn't have to figure out how the gears fit together (even though I generally don't like gear puzzles), to make a ladder, etc. The mini-games were easy in adventure mode. The only difficult part, in fact, was making sure that you had all the right objects to play the mini-game or solve the puzzle.

(cont.)

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 11:18:28 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 27, 11 11:17 AM
(cont)

I also didn't like the Match3 component of the game. Partly, it's because I'm personally not a great fan of Match 3; partly, though, the final encounter with the Strix [spoiler alert] didn't feel like a battle, even though I was still left with a sword in my inventory. Did I miss something, or is that just a lead-in to the next game?

Overall, the game took me (including the demo) two and a half hours on adventure mode, and at least half an hour was taking up with the explanation of the story line. The dialog gave me a chance to appreciate the artwork even more (I really liked the wolf king in particular), but SeaBamboo's suggestion that the dialog be clickable is an excellent one. Were that the case, however, then the game would have been way too short. I can't imagine how short the game would have been had I been playing on easy mode!

I look forward to the next game from Cateia Games, but I do hope that it will longer and also more challenging.

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on Jun 27, 11 11:37 AM
@Lucy1997

We're actually from Zagreb, Croatia, which is Croatia's capitol, 2 out of three of the founding members of Cateia Games are from Rijeka, but they moved to Zagreb where the office is now.

You seem to know a few things about Croatia? Have you ever been there? It's a beautiful country on the Adriatic sea, just west of Italy, I love going to the seaside, in Dalmatia or Istria, just been there a week ago, love it

btw, thanks for all your great reviews, you al all too kind We've taken note on all the suggested improvements and are discussing how to integrate them into the next game. Thanks once again fishies for all your support and great ideas!

---
Krešimir Špes
Cateia Games

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 27, 11 11:53 AM
Love the game. You guys at Cateia Games have done a good job. The only criticism is that the puzzles were a little too easy. Graphics are good. Music is okay. Like the fact there is voice. I absolutely hate games that do not have voice. Don't listen to all those HOG fans. Some of us like adventure more than hidden object. I am playing this game along with the new Captive Curse Nancy Drew game and hope I don't get confused. Thanks BF for all the great games!

What I think is great is that the developers ACTUALLY read and listen to the gamers on this site. WOW! You guys are really great. My only advice is to redo your puzzles. You might get some ideas from other games on the net. The reason I play Nancy Drew games (not mentioning the site however, that is verboten), is because of the complexity of the games. But, you guys are doing a good job for a HOG.

Grade A

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 11:56:20 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 27, 11 12:01 PM
Lucy1997 wrote:
I expected the game to be more difficult: I was disappointed that [spoiler alert] I didn't have to figure out how the gears fit together (even though I generally don't like gear puzzles), to make a ladder, etc. The mini-games were easy in adventure mode. The only difficult part, in fact, was making sure that you had all the right objects to play the mini-game or solve the puzzle.

(cont.)

Not everyone is as advanced a player as yourself. I personally wouldn't buy a game I couldn't figure out. I have played easy games plenty of times and still enjoyed them. Just because a puzzle is on the easy side doesn't take away the fun you have in solving it. Less frustrating too. However, I don't think this game is too easy for the average player.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jun 27, 11 12:41 PM
I enjoyed the overall feeling of this game. I love adventure games and when I did get stuck, I could switch over to the casual or easy mode to figure out what to do next and then switch back to adventure. It was like having a walkthrough inside the game since you can switch back and forth. I can't see myself buying this game however because the puzzles are so easy. I feel like Id be done with this game in about another hour and I like adventure games to be somewhat long like Im actually on a journey. I did however like the theme of this game and that weird lil green alien guy. I like voiceovers and in adventure games I plan on doing a lot of reading or at least being read to because its a story usually that needs to be developed unlike a hidden object game where its pretty self explanatory. The graphics were great and Id love to purchase it but I just can't get over how easy it is even on adventure mode. I like to be challenged in adventure games. Sometimes not knowing what to do or how to solve a puzzle is what makes it so fun because its out of the box thinking. oh & btw one of my closest friends is from Zagreb, Croatia. It sounds absolutely breathtaking from what I've heard and my friend is actually over there right now visiting with family happy gaming

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Jun 27, 11 12:53 PM
sinshack wrote:
gpherder wrote:WARNING:

While this is an excellent game, it is very, very short.

I was 3/4th of the way through the last chapter before the hour trial ended.

gpherder, what difficulty level did you play? Did you skip dialog, puzzles, etc? Use the walkthrough? Most posts in the other threads say the game took about 3 hours, so I was wondering why you nearly completed the game in a hour.

As to my review, I love the game! Not too sure about the length but I estimate about 3 hours for me as well, and I play on Easy mode, with sparkles, and a couple of sneak peeks at the walkthrough as needed. I'm thrilled with all the options available, especially the sparkles on/off. That looks like the big hit for this game - everybody is finally happy with a feature!

Good story, good graphics, fun gameplay.

Hardest difficulty level, I don't skip puzzles, and I think I used the hint button twice.

Very short game.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Jun 27, 11 12:53 PM
I am enjoying playing this game, but I suspect it will be very short. I've reached Chapter 3, playing on Casual mode with no sparkles, in 45 minutes. I've used no hints or skips. I checked the walkthrough and find that there are only six chapters. According to Cherb, the last chapter is super short. Therefore, this game will probably be take me about two hours.

Now, I have a dilemma. Three days until the end of the month and only one space left on my punch card. So, do I go ahead and buy this game or wait to see what the next three days bring?

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 12:54:26 PM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 27, 11 1:06 PM
kspes wrote:@Lucy1997

We're actually from Zagreb, Croatia, which is Croatia's capitol, 2 out of three of the founding members of Cateia Games are from Rijeka, but they moved to Zagreb where the office is now.

You seem to know a few things about Croatia? Have you ever been there? It's a beautiful country on the Adriatic sea, just west of Italy, I love going to the seaside, in Dalmatia or Istria, just been there a week ago, love it

btw, thanks for all your great reviews, you al all too kind We've taken note on all the suggested improvements and are discussing how to integrate them into the next game. Thanks once again fishies for all your support and great ideas!

---
Krešimir Špes
Cateia Games

Dear Kresimir,

I've lived about five years off and on in Zagreb, so, yes, it's a city I know well and love. Where are your offices?

I just wish that I had the money to fly over this summer, though I would probably head further south, to the Makarska riviera or Hvar...It's why I liked the picture of the mountains so much!

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 27, 11 1:13 PM
barbee44 wrote:

Not everyone is as advanced a player as yourself. I personally wouldn't buy a game I couldn't figure out. I have played easy games plenty of times and still enjoyed them. Just because a puzzle is on the easy side doesn't take away the fun you have in solving it. Less frustrating too. However, I don't think this game is too easy for the average player.

Dear Barbee44,

it's helpful for the developers to see a range of reviews from different people. I was simply giving my personal opinion and suggestions, which is the point of the review thread. I'm sure that, since these developers are actively following the comments on the thread, they will take all of our opinions into consideration.

I thought the artwork was really beautiful, and I just wished that the game had lasted longer since I was enjoying playing it!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 27, 11 2:24 PM
I had a hard time figuring out what to do next. There were so many positive remarks that I think I am in the minority but just don't care for this type of game. It won't be a buy for me.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jun 27, 11 2:24 PM
I haven't downloaded yet since I always read the reviews first, but just the fact that the developers are interacting with us is a huge plus for me . I have never seen that before! I will absolutely buy the game.

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Jun 27, 11 2:36 PM
I liked this game and feel like the rest of the fishes that the choices you had on the game play was great.The story line was a nice change and enjoyable. After playing the demo I was already half way through chapter 3 and haven't decided yet if I shall buy as I dont think it will last very long and that was not skipping any of the story. I would like to thank you like everyone else for listening to your players.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

FANTASTIC!

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 27, 11 2:40 PM
Wow. I have no complaints about this game and that is highly unusual for me. In fact, I'm not sure how anybody could have complaints for one very important reason: you can customize this game to your exact abilities and tastes! I spent so much time fiddling around with the customization it was almost a game in itself. This also means HUGE potential for high replay value. Want to play in adventure mode only? YOU CAN! Want some hidden object searches thrown in? YOU CAN HAVE THOSE TOO! Hate sparkles? GET RID OF THEM! Love sparkles and extra help? YOU CAN HAVE IT!I am highly impressed with the customization possibilities which has raised the bar for other developers to follow suit or face some heavy criticism.

That being said, I have a wide-screen monitor and the graphics are BEAUTIFUL. Very realistic, the lighting is excellent based on location and no junk piles of any kind! I usually turn the music WAAAYYY down in games but I did not with this one. The soundtrack is soothing and adds to the ambiance of the game. ADDED BONUS: voice-overs!!!! And they don't sound scripted-they are very well done.

The storyline has pulled me in and the 'characters' met throughout the game are creatively composed and very unique.

The mechanics of the game flow smoothly once you get the hang of it. I highly recommend going through the tutorial. I love how you are left to discover some things on your own-this game is NOT HARD to maneuver. The inventory screen is unobtrusive and takes up minimal space, leaving more screen space open for exploring.

The puzzles and inventory item use is not difficult. It can be a bit challenging but not so much so that I would need to resort to a walk-through. The answers are right there for you if you take the time to explore and gather what you need. The process flows logically.

All in all, an outstanding game and one I would recommend to everyone as it IS so customizable. At least give it the full hour demo.

As for recommendations for improvement, NONE. This is a gem of a game and will be added amongst my favorites (which means it never gets uninstalled from my game manager).

Well done!! Looking forward to future endeavors!!

Cheers
mycatluna

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 27, 11 2:50 PM
gpherder wrote:WARNING:

While this is an excellent game, it is very, very short.

I was 3/4th of the way through the last chapter before the hour trial ended.

I honestly don't see how this is possible without skipping through everything or using a walk-through all the way through???

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jun 27, 11 3:32 PM
Hi everyone

I wanted to let everyone know that I played the game through to the end, and although I really enjoyed it, the game overall is definitely on the shorter side, just under 3 hours playing time total. There are 6 chapters, but the last chapter is basically just one performed action and that is all, so the game actually is 5 real chapters if you don't count the 6th one. I still thought it was fun to play and interesting to look at. I especially liked the voiceover work. I would have liked more difficulty in the end( some of the items to find are just scattered around haphazardly) but I am not sorry I spent my money. This was a great way to spend an afternoon.

Go to: