admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Review for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 30, 11 1:57 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I, too, have played Drawn, but found this game alot more fun. There were HOG scenes, but not every second. Problem solving is more fun than just clicking HOG's. I really enjoyed the sub games within the HOG scenes. Found this very interesting. I like to go back in the games I play, I like revisiting the areas I have been to before and finding new things. Some of the puzzles were very challenging and I used the guide a couple of times, as I get so bored with just clicking numers that never end. There is always a puzzle solver to these and I either look at guide or just skip. I do not appreciate huge puzzles with just figuring out the number sequence. This game was sharp and clear and the HOGS were not hard. I never did find all the origame things but may play it again for the bonus game. I usually like the bonus games as much as the original. I would like to see more games like this on B/F HEY GUYS AND GALS, can you hear me now?

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 30, 11 1:58 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I, too, have played Drawn, but found this game alot more fun. There were HOG scenes, but not every second. Problem solving is more fun than just clicking HOG's. I really enjoyed the sub games within the HOG scenes. Found this very interesting. I like to go back in the games I play, I like revisiting the areas I have been to before and finding new things. Some of the puzzles were very challenging and I used the guide a couple of times, as I get so bored with just clicking numers that never end. There is always a puzzle solver to these and I either look at guide or just skip. I do not appreciate huge puzzles with just figuring out the number sequence. This game was sharp and clear and the HOGS were not hard. I never did find all the origame things but may play it again for the bonus game. I usually like the bonus games as much as the original. I would like to see more games like this on B/F HEY GUYS AND GALS, can you hear me now?

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 30, 11 1:58 PM

Mum22
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Mum22 on Jun 30, 11 2:19 PM
Oooo. 5/5 fishes for this one !!! I LOVED it. Finished the whole Demo on "easy"

Graphics - awesome! I can see why some thought this was similar to drawn - but I like the brightness better and it isn't the same.

I play with sound off - so I can't tell you about that...I love that it has closed captioning (unlike the 3 Cards that I tried last night).

Storyline - is really cool....a little hampered by having to follow their storyline exactly. I really like the ratio of HOG to puzzles!!! Not too much of either. Both puzzles and HOG are just difficult enough to be challenging - not frustrating.

Love the abilty to access the "strategy guide" during game play and not have to exit for a walkthrough or other help.

Definately on on my "to buy" list - CE as there's extra levels!! anything with extra levels is worth purchasing.

Great catch BF!!! Thanks

Edited on 06/30/2011 at 2:24:58 PM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 30, 11 2:59 PM
The is an absolutely amazing game. It just goes deeper and deeper with just great graphics, music, plot line..the whole works. I haven't seen one this good in a long time. I hope it's long.
It is clever..so clever. The HOG scenes are a joy instead of a drudge.
Well, I'll let others go on and on..but this is a keeper.
kris

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Jun 30, 11 3:11 PM
@darkdisciple1313 - nice review! .

I did purchase this game and have been enjoying it very much. I love finding those lovely origami pieces and I really liked not having hidden object scenes every 15 seconds. I would have liked some sort of 'Achievements' - finding 3 objects in 10 seconds or completing a Hidden Object scene without a hint. I find those types of Achievements spur me on to work harder so the reward is greater when you can get one.

The puzzles have been on the easy side, but not so irritatingly easy that I don't want to continue playing the game. Since this is mostly fantasy, I find myself looking forward to the unknown scenes coming next.

I do not believe I have played a game by this developer before - if someone has and was enthused, please send me a PM.

Thank you for a enjoyable game and happy gaming to all!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 30, 11 3:20 PM
Just started playing this game. A little disappointed there is no voice in this game. With this as a CE, one should expect voice. The graphics are lovely and the storyline is intriguing. However, after playing the new Nancy Drew game, it seems a little irritating that we are paying the same price for these games as for the Drew game. That game is $19.95 and it took me five days to play and since I am on summer vacation, I played that game for five to six hours per day. I will probably finish this game in about six hours as the rest have taken that same amount of time. I think that quality is going down and the bonus sections really don't warrant an extra $6.99. I know I can wait and get the same at a discounted price, so really it is still one's decision if he or she want to pay the extra money. I do not like this game as well as last week's game. However, it seems interesting. I am happy however that the amount of HOG scenes are being reduced. I know some probably want more HOGS, but for some of us, we like the puzzles and adventure better. Grade: B

I know you carry all the Nancy Drew games and hopefully you will carry the Captive Curse as well in the future. This one, to me, was the best in the series so far. Would highly recommend this one to anyone and hopefully BF will come out with it in a month or two.

Edited on 06/30/2011 at 3:23:58 PM PST

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Jun 30, 11 4:58 PM
Wow, this is a first for me. There have been several games that I can't play on my computer. I am one of a handful that has the same problems. The last 3 games that other people are having tech problems on, run beautifully on mine. My computer is over 5 years old and runs on XP. This game downloaded fast and has been so much fun to play. I have not had a hidden object scene yet. I think it might be more adventure than HOG. I have enjoyed the time I spent on this. I feel bad for the ones who are experiencing the same thing I did with Secrets of the dark and midnight mysteries (just to name 2). I had to get a refund and still can't can't play them. This game and the last 3 have been wonderful, to me. Just when I thought I would have to purchase a new computer I was rewarded with excellent games. I hope issues are worked out for those that have them. For those that purchased it HAVE FUN. Thanks Big Fish!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 30, 11 9:12 PM
Did we lose Goofyduck again!? Not a bad game. Demo way too short to really get a nice feel for the game. Music okay, graphics good, same old story, games are integrated a bit differently than most others. Really liked the SG...(no spoiler alert needed here) it automatically turned the page when you went to the next area. Very different. Because the demo was so short, I can't really see that it is worth the cost of a CE. Probably a pass for me as well.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Jun 30, 11 9:19 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:Probably in the minority here. I played 25 minutes and for me it's too heavy on the story and too light on the action.

You're not alone, layzeedaisy. In fact you hit the nail right on the head as far as I'm concerned.
Will consider this when it comes out as a SE.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 30, 11 10:31 PM
I remember playing this one a while ago. Since the other thread says it is a new game, I must have beta tested it twice as I remember playing it twice. I remember the game being a little weird during the other times I played it, but overall it was pretty good. I could only make it through the first ten minutes this time as I found the story just too dark and morbid. As others have said, if you can skip through the first 10 minutes of the game, you will probably enjoy it. I do remember in my beta comments saying that more of a storyline needed to be added so you could understand the game more, but the beginning was just a little TMI (too much information). Sorry, but not a buy for me even as a SE.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 30, 11 10:42 PM
I enjoyed the demo and the time flew by while I was playing it. I agree with the others that say you have to stick with it a bit at the beginning and then the pace of the game picks up once they go through the portal. The H0 scenes happen just often enough (so far) so that you manage to add something to your inventory, but they don't overwhelm the game.

Already filled a number of punch cards for June so I don't have to rush to get this one now. But from what I've been reading about the length, it looks as though this might be one where you get value for the CE price.

[Post New]by sphinxvictorian on Jun 30, 11 11:51 PM
One of the best HOG's I've ever played! The hidden object sections were interesting and intricate, the plot was unusual and well-written, and the characters were believable. There were wonderful twists and turns that I didn't expect, And it was deliciously creepy but not unpleasantly so. Also the artwork was amazing. The bonus game was just as good as the actual game, and it was nice that it followed the other character's actions. Very satisfying ending, as well! I hope they do a sequel to this game really soon!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 1, 11 2:21 AM
BRAVO ! What a GREAT game !

I own the 2 "Drawn" games and love them, and this one reminds me of them very much.

Gorgeous graphics, just outstanding! And the story is great as well. Love the gameplay and puzzles, and love having to find those origami pieces.

Just bought the game!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 1, 11 7:50 AM
This game is the best I ever played. I play now for hours and still has my attention.

Sometimes I like a long game, but near the end I want to finished the game. But this game is really great!

Kudos to the developers!!!

Edited on 07/01/2011 at 7:52:00 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jul 1, 11 8:39 AM
heatherington wrote:The last orgami was so hilarious! Not going to tell you. The length was good, about two hours maybe more if you don't read the strategy guide. Stuff was not too hard to do. I actually did not find ALL the orgami's, but certainly got the last one. I liked it. It was different and had some beautiful flowers and I want a piece of that cake!

There is no bonus content, but they do show you have to make some orgami stuff.

Is the game really only 2 hours? And no bonus content? I'm confused - if this is a CE, that is really short and I thought I read there are bonus chapters.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Fourth of July !

Gail

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jul 1, 11 9:22 AM
Hi gailweis

I can't say how long the game will be for you or anyone else's play style but, I have posted in the length topic my game play time and others have posted theirs, as well.

However, I can say with certainty that there is bonus game play.

You have to access it from the "Extras" section. It is easy to overlook but, at the top of that page it says "Extra Episode" with a Play button.

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Jul 1, 11 10:21 AM
Really like this game but I never ever buy a CE game so can't wait for the SE.I was hoping for something good to spend my game credit on but IMO it's been a bad few weeks.I want a FROG !!!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 1, 11 10:35 AM
I have only 3 words to describe this game: Beautiful, equisite and gorgeous.

Every scene has the "wow" factor. There is no way I can find fault at all.

Four hours of very enjoyable play. I was disappointed when it was over. Plus, just wait till you reach the Bonus episode. You won't believe how good it is.

My advice:- Don't even bother with the Demo, just buy it, you'll love it!!!

Zooey2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Zooey2 on Jul 1, 11 1:25 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:Probably in the minority here. I played 25 minutes and for me it's too heavy on the story and too light on the action.
Having said that, it's a nice looking game. The HOGs were interesting having to use other objects. A bit irritating having to collect origami but there don't seem to be many as I got 25% of them in only 25 minutes. Maybe it's not a very long game?
Annoyed that I found a screwdriver and screws but not allowed to collect them as "you don't need them at this time". Means I have to trek all the way back there eventually.
Not a buy for me as a CE. Will consider when it's an SE.

Go to: