Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales of Lagoona: Orphans of the Ocean

[Post New]by slotfish on Jul 4, 11 12:12 PM
This game is such a hoot really like it. Happy 4th

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 4, 11 2:58 PM
Didn't find it as appealing as most of the fishes.. I don't like the kind that you find IHOG's and then sell them to buy things. Maybe the Grandkids would enjoy but it's just not my cup of tea..

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Jul 4, 11 5:22 PM
This is exactly the kind of game that's nice to have for those times when you have only a few minutes to play. You don't have to remember where you are in the game like you do in the H0/Adventure games, so it's perfect for short breaks. The word play is clever and amusing. I've been playing the timed option and have never run out of time. So far, I've opened all of the rooms and I still haven't finished the game. I think there will be several hours of play on this one. Good game for $4.99! Thanks for the sale, BFG!

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 5:23:17 PM PST

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Jul 4, 11 5:28 PM
This has to be one of the cutest games I have played in a long time. So many things to do. Graphics absolutely lovely. Puns and fun quotes galore. And to top it off on a sale weekend. I think that before the sale time is up, fishies should give it a go. I usually love the dark, macabre thriller games, but this one is really tremendous.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 4, 11 6:12 PM
Light-hearted HOG, pretty dog-gone good graphics. Lots of quirky characters. I agree with the favorable comparisons to Gardenscapes. Lots of awards, even bonus wallpaper. Play Timed for more or Untimed for total relaxation.

It's an attractive game, offering hours of HOG scenes interspersed with mini-games (skips available). Perfect for those of us who enjoy light-hearted straight HOGs -- either as our main course, or as an occasional snack in between other darker, more challenging IHOGS or Adventures.

A Buy for me with the 4th of July sale.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 4, 11 6:29 PM
Cute game, but I think it is geared more to the beginner than the anyone else. Didn't find it nearly as much fun as any of the others I purchased like this. Just too simple for me. No sale on this one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 11 12:22 AM
This is a nice enough game, but I wouldn`t compare it with Gardenscape or Farmscape. The graphics are good enough, and it`s fun having to search for gems (although they don`t stick out very well), but gameplay is pretty limited. You don`t actually get to sell stuff, it`s done for you. And I don`t like having to hold the screen with my cursor to move around the area.
This is not a bad game, but not one I would get excited over. Therefore, it`s a no-buy for me.

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Jul 5, 11 1:52 AM
I love that I can change the volume for music, sound and ambient. I'm usually a no music and no ambient sound game player.

I was somewhat bothered that the orphanage was for runaways. But it didn't really matter as the game does not save mid scene. I like to play a few scenes for a break and then get back to real life. I was miffed when I had to find the gems all over again and most of the objects.

So, as usual when that happens... it's a no buy. Not even with a free game coupon.

Sorry.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Jul 5, 11 7:17 AM
Unlike Driftwood Inn or whatever it's called, (I did buy and play it, I love these kinds of games) IMO this compares favorably to Gardenscapes. Not quite as good a game but I like it very much even though I haven't finished it yet. The scenes are cute without being overly so, the languaging is fun and there is variety. I did not play timed (although I may move to that) as I like a casual, relaxed game. I am also not all that hepped on dark games that require me to strain my brain and are filled with sad, angry, traumatized, or depressed people or ghosts.

You have to find a lot of gems and I forget sometimes to look for them but they still do add up. Some of the mini-games don't work well for me (my brain works a little differently) but you have the option to skip and there is no penalty for doing so, (although you don't get the reward) something I really like. The hints charge quickly and there is no penalty for using them either, something else I like!

This is a fun game and from my perception, I would call it medium difficulty, not the easiest game I have ever played but certainly not the most difficult. Good length from what I can see (I have played several hours and have not finished it yet) with good replayability. This is by far the best game I've purchased lately (got me thinking about playing Gardenscapes again) and I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 07/05/2011 at 7:19:25 AM PST

leftjersey
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by leftjersey on Jul 5, 11 12:42 PM
Wow! You really get your money's worth on this one. I have never commented on a game in the 7 yrs. belonging. The music is to die for. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jul 5, 11 12:50 PM
I agree with most of the others. It's a nice little laid back HOG back with just enough variety to keep you interested. If you want more excitement, you can pick the timed version. I would rate it a 8 out of 10.

awvines
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by awvines on Jul 5, 11 5:05 PM
Thoroughly enjoying this game! Yes, it's a little juvenile, but at the end of the day I love HOGS, puzzles, and what's not to love about making improvements in the life of some fictitious orphans!

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on Jul 5, 11 11:02 PM
This is a really cute refreshing game. Love it !!! Too many dark hog's all the time. Am really enjoying this one. Thanks BF!

[Post New]by stitchdesigner5 on Jul 6, 11 12:11 PM
The only problem I had with this game is too chatty. Not good for the 60 min demo.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 6, 11 5:37 PM
realised that i never chimed in on this one and thought i would do that now

right away i likened it to a very nice blend of gardenscapes and fishdom h2o ... here you are under the sea, peddling random found objects to save the orphanage by fixing it up to meet the new HOA guidelines and keep the local big baddie from building a shopping center on your property...

as you collect gems from room to room, new rooms open for you to search... items gathered go to market to sell or to folks who have 'quested' you to find the items for them... in between hidden object scenes, there are mini-games of all sorts to spice it up and keep the game from feeling like it's simply one search after another...

and then, of course, you have upgrades around the property to spruce it up... to get stuff done, you find an upgrade in "oasis monthly" and save up enough money to accomplish it... the nicer you make the place, the more the barracudas will be on your tail

aside from the regular accomplishments you have a list of 'trophied achievements' that add another aspect to the game.... can you get five items in five seconds? sit through the credits as they roll by? gather 100 gems, 1000 hidden objects, 20,000 gold?

in all, the graphics are nice, the music/sounds a great addition, the characters whimsical and utterly likeable, and the story plausible and humanistic... the game isn't overly taxing and can provide hours of entertainment for any member in the family... i'm glad that i purchased it during the sale this past weekend, but think that it's definitely worth the BFG price of $6.99!

happy gaming!

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Jul 6, 11 8:29 PM
I am sooooo glad I bought this game. It has so many things going for it.
1) the music is lovely
2) the dialogue is hysterical--if you don't read it you're missing a lot; the exchanges between the 2 "wiseguys", Bill Barracuda and Salvatore Snipetooth, are a hoot
3) some of the puzzles/minigames are new and quite creative, also not that difficult for the most part
4) the names of the characters are all part of the fun
5) you get to decorate/upgrade the orphanage
6) lots of variety
7) the devs have paid such attention to detail; e.g. be sure to look at the "sports cards" and you'll see sharks and seals wearing water polo headgear

You can tell that a lot of time and creativity went into the planning and execution of this game and it has paid off big time! A feast for my eyes.....and my funny bone.

Bellsprout
Salmon
Salmon
2,692 Posts

[Post New]by Bellsprout on Jul 6, 11 10:32 PM
A lovely and relaxing game. I agree with all of the positive reviews above and won't repeat them, but will emphasize that the dialogue, names of characters and names of quests are all entertaining. This game got me through a post-surgery (outpatient - ripped off a toenail on the 4th) evening.

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Jul 8, 11 12:46 PM
I first tried this the day it came out & thought How syrupy. Anyway I gave it another shot & I must say I thoroughly enjoyed all the stuff you have to do it really gives you bang for your buck. I have ended up buying it today!
A little building, selling items at the market & hidden objects as well.
It is a nice lighthearted story for the "kid" in all of us. Not too hard on "older" eyes either.

boots

[Post New]by Littleswimmer on Jul 10, 11 9:13 PM
Thumbs up to Joindots!! I really enjoyed this long and fun game. Completed it; but for some reason, it is showing I have 46 trophies, but it never gave me the 47th trophy. I am going back in now to redo some of the puzzles.

bandonkr
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by bandonkr on Jul 11, 11 10:43 AM
Just another happy camper here. I am so very, very tired of the HOGs with dark themes and dark rooms! I loved this one!

This one, like Gardenscapes, had me smiling a lot. And even more it had me laughing a lot. I just finished it (I didn't understand why you would want to buy gems - now I can go back and play it again in a kind of different mode!).

This is one to start, play through a bit and quit. Then come back another day to do a bit more.

Thanks Big Fish!!!

Go to: