BereniceP
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

Re:Comments for Foreign Dreams

[Post New]by BereniceP on Jul 8, 11 6:07 AM
I quite enjoyed the demo of this game so bought it but finished it in less than an hour. It is far too short for the money and I do not recommend it for this reason. I feel cheated.

mdcrab13
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by mdcrab13 on Jul 8, 11 6:38 AM
another lousy game put out there! When are you going to get back to the really good **** games. Have been really slacking in that department. Only good thing out of this is I am saving money to get games over at other sites!

grammyapples
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by grammyapples on Jul 8, 11 6:55 AM
Very short game.

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Jul 8, 11 7:11 AM
hi fishies i am stuck just finished hospital room segment what do i do now? where to go ? please help

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 8, 11 8:25 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure about this game. I had to exit out of the trial to take care of some stuff and was surprised to see I had almost forty minutes left. At the time it felt like I had played a lot longer as I was not really enjoying the experience. I played in Easy mode. One of the biggest issues I had was the fact that even though the full screen mode was selected I had about 2 & 1/2 inches of black space on either side. It's rare that a game will fill my wide screen so it was not unexpected but having such a visual field was. I was able to change my aspect ration and that did increase the picture size for the remainder of the trial. It's an interesting story and that's what really tempts me as far as buying the game goes, but otherwise I'm not so thrilled. One thing that really bothered me is that I had to exit out of mini games myself once they were completed or skipped. I cannot think of another game where I've had to do that. It's a small thing, I know, but it bugs me.

Have fun Y'all

kore21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by kore21 on Jul 8, 11 8:55 AM
the reason you get the black screen on both sides is that the developer apparently put that there on purpose. why? well, a wide screen ratio is completely different from the "traditional" 1024x768 mode ratio. if you play a game set in the "traditional" ratio to fit a wide screen, the picture will stretch & distort. the only real way to make a "one size fits all" is to use the traditional ratio & put a black background behind it. the black background is invisible in 1024 ratio, unless someone switches to the wide screen format.

i would be okay with this, because i had the opposite problem when i got a wide screen. i found most of my games would stretch & distort trying to fit the wider format. the visual quality of my favorite games was ruined. i ended up giving my wide screen to my daughter & kept my old monitor. i also think the quality of most wide screens are lousy compared to my old monitor, even with a junk video card.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jul 8, 11 9:11 AM
So has anyone been able to play this game who couldn't play Brigantine or Treasure Hunters? I've had problems with both of the other games of late, so I'm reluctant to download this one until I'm certain that it will work.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jul 8, 11 11:55 AM
kore21 wrote:<snip>....i would be okay with this, because i had the opposite problem when i got a wide screen. i found most of my games would stretch & distort trying to fit the wider format. the visual quality of my favorite games was ruined. i ended up giving my wide screen to my daughter & kept my old monitor. i also think the quality of most wide screens are lousy compared to my old monitor, even with a junk video card.

In Display Settings (Advanced?) you should be able to choose whether the display stretches and distorts or not.

Mine labels it "Maintain Aspect Ratio" OR "Stretch to Fit" setting with just a click the circle to change it.

I love my HD Widescreen monitor because of the versatility even with my 'low-end' Intel graphics chip.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 8, 11 2:23 PM
Hi there folks,
Well I caved in and purchased this game as I just had to know how it ended, and, whilst it is VERY short, I didn't mind using a PC credit on it as I thought this game was a little different and I needed something to play.
I liked the story (though it really could have had a few more chapters if they had introduced some other characters), and the game play was a little different from most. I did finish all of the puzzles without skipping any of them (very proud of myself) - so whilst some of them were new, they were easy enough to complete without growing more grey hairs.
So, if you are concerned about using your GC credits etc for this game, it would be perfect for a COTW or DD - if you have the patience to wait.
Cheers

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 8, 11 3:01 PM
i'm in that class of players that might have been pushed into buying for 'one more punch' as i really liked the premise of the game, just thought that it was developed rather poorly...

but if there really are only five dreams... then it's not worth even that to me... i had just finished the trip to see 'eric' and she was musing on what she should do next when the game closed... not much time left in my book unless that last dream sequence is a real humdinger!

i think i would've liked to see this game developed more as a HOPA than a HOG - and by a developer that had some money to put into it... although, i do have to say that gfi/far mills has made some great strides in their production - they just haven't caught up quiet enough to warrant a plop down every time one of their games comes out

maybe someday!

BTW - in case you're wondering what i did to get through four dreams in one hour [gee, that sounds sooo close to real life] i just played... i shut everything else out, and fell into the game and kept on going until it kicked me out... i played on difficult [which i'm guessing only applied to charge times] and i worked those puzzles bone dry... i was able to quickly intuit what the dilemma was and work down a solution in each case without looking for the skip to fill... my real problem, i guess, comes when i can't play it again because i know where everything is, how to fix stuff without trying, where to go next... i'm the player that needs the run-around, the convoluted maps and plots, the puzzles that automatically spring a few new grey hairs just by popping up on the screen... so maybe that's why i came down so hard on this one... i just suck them up and then i want to know where the rest is...

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 8, 11 6:00 PM
The screen shots are very dark... are they all dark like that?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 8, 11 7:11 PM
Actually, I think the game is alright. Not great, but alright. The concept is surreal, but interesting. The puzzles aren't too bad and the graphics aren't that bad. Still dislike having to read screens, should have voice, but this is an SE and don't expect it like the CE's. Plays great on my computer and easy to see the objects. Not as bad as some we have had recently. Grade: B

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Jul 9, 11 1:19 AM
"Absolutely fabulous!" Enjoy the "artistry"! My overall view is the complexity and the intricacy that went into the production of this game. . . . . . . . and that I perceive it as a game. The People's Choice Awards review for "Foreign Dreams" - "Amazingly and unbelievably great very impressive!" they give it and

"Touche'!"

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jul 9, 11 4:04 PM
I do quite like this game. The graphics are quite cartoon-like, but still ok. I probably would have bought this game, but seeing as I was on the end of dream 3 and there are only 5 dreams this game is too short- so not a buy for me.

bigdave02
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by bigdave02 on Jul 11, 11 6:08 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Of course not - it is information that a lot of game players and forums lurkers would like to know before they commit their GC or PC credits - unless there is a WT of course!!
Cheers
LURKER?

Edited on 07/11/2011 at 6:12:08 PM PST

Go to: