Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Flying Dutchman - In The Ghost Prison

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 11, 11 6:43 AM
I don`t like this game. This is an very boring match 3 game, a very easy one too. No buy from me.

[Post New]by liberated0805 on Jul 11, 11 6:54 AM
extremely botimg-same ole, same ole

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 11, 11 7:19 AM
too boring for me so it's a no buy.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 11, 11 7:52 AM
I didn't pick up on who the developers are. The only positive comments I have about the game is that it downloaded quickly and I did not experience any bugs, glitches, or tech issues of any sort. I played in normal, relaxed mode except one level when I switched to normal quest mode. The only difference? A timer in the form of a powder keg. Otherwise, the game was visually unappealing and to be quite blunt, boring. As always, I played on my laptop running windows 7 hp 64bit. I was able to get the game to fill my widescreen by changing some settings. I right clicked on my desktop and scrolled down. On my laptop there's a "Graphics Options" and when highlighted I can choose "panel fit". From there I have three options: Scale Full Screen, Center, & Maintain Aspect Ratio. I chose the first and have several games that previously did not fill my widescreen do so, including this game.

Have Fun Y'all

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 11, 11 9:31 AM
I quite like a M3 game so I was prepared to give this a good trial. I hate having to be so negative but really, don't the developers know there is another colour other than brown. We have light brown, dark brown, yellowy-brown, etc. etc. I'm sure you get the picture. Even the cut scenes were brown.

Another problem - I had real difficulty telling one tile from another. I was also disappointed there was no reward for getting 4 or 5 matches as in a normal M3. I got into trouble very early in game getting an awkwardly placed tile with no hammer or similar to get rid of it. If you get into trouble early on, you just know it's not the game for you.

Not for me, sorry. I love Round the World in 80 days and Jewel Match 3. Play them over and over. Lots of rewards and power ups galore.

[Post New]by calpalbob on Jul 11, 11 10:42 AM
I was able to mute the music by turning it all the way up, in options, and then turning it all the way off. I like this game and probably will buy it.

[Post New]by calpalbob on Jul 11, 11 10:42 AM
I was able to mute the music by turning it all the way up, in options, and then turning it all the way off. I like this game and probably will buy it.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jul 11, 11 11:20 AM
Hmmmmm..... all these conflicting reveiws. Still from waht I read seems to rate a try at the demo at least. I hope the games aren't all match three's... I will give the demo and try and then state my two cents worth.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 11, 11 11:39 AM
I AM a M3 fan, and I really liked this game, didn't find it boring at ALL, made it to level 17 on the trial, and was enjoying the game play, with the ghost and holy water, it really changes the game play, and makes it different from other M3's that I already own, so it is a BUY, for me .
I also thought the music was very relaxing, I guess that is why they say, to each his own, so many different personality's and likes and dislikes, can't please all of us, all of the time, so I am glad I liked the music also, for me it adds to the enjoyment, while playing the game.
The visual effects are cool to look at, there is smoke and when you use the holy water, you get another visual going across the screen, like an atomic bomb, has went off, with the blue light, maybe not your visuals you get when playing JM, with all of the colors of the rainbow, but I am satisfied with something different, for a change.
Than there are the bars, frozen places and boxes, to contend with, sorry suffer from CRS, that adds to the challenge, of clearing the boards, so between these and the ghost and holy water, there is plenty to keep me occupied with this M3.
It may not be all flashy and pretty, but for what it is, it is a game that I want to add to my HUGE growing library, of purchased games, here on the BF site .
If you are a fan of M3's, I would suggest at least trying the demo, you might be surprised, and find you like, the different game play this one offers, like I did .
I am a fan of swap, and that is what this one is, with the added challenge of the ghost, smoke and holy water as mentioned above.
Well, off to purchase and play ..have a great day everyone .

The developer's that made the game are Star Ashes, first time I've heard of them.

Edited on 07/11/2011 at 11:47:02 AM PST

cjmajor49
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by cjmajor49 on Jul 11, 11 12:20 PM
very boring and frustrating. Doesn't seem to have any good power-ups to help out. Don't think I'd buy this one even at $2.99.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jul 11, 11 12:39 PM
well I played for 14 minutes I see what everyone means about the music.. short of turning the speakers off no way to turn it off. well I like match threes .. sometimes (mostly in the winter when I am very bored) but I think this on is well .. best saved for a very stormy day when I can't go out and play to finish off this demo. I will not be buying this one. Maybe if there was more to do in this game other than just match three all the time, more of a story perhaps... The title in this game "The flying Dutchman- in a ghost prision ' Makes one hope for a really spooky piratey( is piratey a word?) story .. and so is really disappointing in this respect. So in my humble opinion expect for the background graphics and music .. it is the same as any other match three game. I 'm sorry but if you've played one match three you've played them all.

May I suggest some story lines for this one as the title got my writer's imagination( can't spell today sorry) going.

First research- who was the captain of the Flying Dutchman - what was the story of her becoming a ghostship.

second Ghost prision? - who is in the ghost prison? the Captain? The Crew? Why? Who put them there?
could it be the players job to get them out?
There are so many other possibilities to this game other than just a match three.

paradoxno1
Flounder
Flounder
2,497 Posts

[Post New]by paradoxno1 on Jul 11, 11 1:24 PM
Finished only 64 levels ..... short game

[Post New]by midnightmoose on Jul 11, 11 3:16 PM
Hey, fishies? Here it is on page 2 of the review section, and several of you have mentioned the sound glitch. Yet I was the first and only one to put it in the technical problems section. If the developers are looking at problems with their game, I think that is where they would look first, so maybe some of you can also post there?

mirror75
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by mirror75 on Jul 11, 11 3:17 PM
This sounds mean but the game looks and feels kind of "cheap" sorry

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jul 11, 11 3:23 PM
I lasted less than ten minutes. Although I didn't mind the music as much as some I just found it sort of **** hum. There was just nothing about the game that made me want to continue it. Even the graphics were uninspiring. No buy for me at any price.

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Jul 11, 11 3:28 PM
I agree with tofinofish. I was enthralled with the incredible graphics at the
beginning, and the promise of a really spooky story based on the famous
Flying Dutchman legend--the lead-in to a spectacular IHOG, right? Then,
it seems, the developers wimped out (lost their writer? Got Alzheimers?)
and switched to an ordinary, boring M3. I love a good M3, like Kahauna,
Around the World, or Age of Japan, but not this one.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jul 11, 11 7:10 PM
I usually love M3 games.

Gave this one a real try just couldnt get into it. Back to Heroes of Hellas lol.

Happy gaming

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jul 12, 11 1:53 AM
I didn't mind this game at all. It was a simple and relaxing game which I like once in awhile. Something that doesn't constantly "wrack your brain". lol I lwould give it a 6 out of 10.

pjandmaui
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by pjandmaui on Jul 12, 11 7:09 AM
have to agree with the majority - cute for the first 3 or 4 levels but got boring real fast - nothing ever changed - same ole same ole over and over again! Have to hike a leg on this one LOL

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 12, 11 7:11 PM
I really wanted to like this game since I love M3 games and haven't played any good ones lately. But this game is nothing special. As someone else mentioned, very dated looking tiles without the charm of an earlier era (strike 1). I hate M3 games that have those 'special' tiles that revert (in this case, curse) surrounding tiles and yup, this games got 'em (strike 2). But worse of all - it's just plain boring. Maybe I didn't go deep enough into it but I tried, really I did but there is just no incentive to beat the board other than collecting some map pieces for a future treasure hunt...sorry, I would have been snoring by then. So it's strike 3...and I haven't even mentioned the music...

Go to: