Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jigsaws Galore

[Post New]by Nagster on Jan 12, 12 5:46 AM
jeannemaria wrote:Last night i tried to download this game for Trial. It seems like a game i would like. Near the end of the download a Message popped up to install a program. I did NOT want to do that. I don't want to run the risk of damage to my computer programmes.

I was concerned about having to install OpenAL as well and canceled the installation. As I stated in a review at another place here (that BF chose not to post), a warning that this game requires the installation of another safe and virus-free third-party program would have been nice.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 12, 12 7:16 AM
I had never bought a jigsaw PC game before, and must say that I am extremely impressed with this game! The amount of customization that can be applied to any of the puzzles is superb and it's easy to use. The program opens up as any program would, with your task bar still visible at the bottom of the screen so you can leave it open and still open other programs or browse the net. The Open AL is safe and I have several games that required this installation to operate properly.

There are categories of images, and they are very lovely, are Animals, Buildings, Miscellaneous, Outdoors and Scenic. You can adjust the size of the puzzle, (how large on your screen it appears, the number of tiles, their shape, oddness, fun pieces, and where they are positioned on the screen.

You can choose a "ghost" image, or not, which is a very pale image of the picture, and the pieces snap into place when they are placed on the puzzle. Pieces also snap together outside of the puzzle board so that you can, for example, create a long string of tiles to create the straight edged borders that most people look for first.

You can choose to "cheat" or not cheat. You can right click on a tile and find its neighboring piece, or have it placed for you. You can also choose to have the program auto solve the puzzle for you. When you are done with a puzzle, the game tells you how many minutes it took you to solve the puzzle, and any cheats you might have used.

What's great is that you can use a screenshot or use your own images to create your own puzzle! I have hundreds of my wildlife photos tucked away, so I can see that this will, as has already been stated by others, provide many, many hours of fun. I tried one of my own images at several hundred pieces, and once I become more familiar with the program, will try one at over 1000 pieces or more for a challenge. Thanks BFG, I'm very pleased to have found this little gem! I used a PCC, but it's well worth the regular price.

[Post New]by Dorsetfish on Jan 12, 12 7:33 AM
in reply to the jeannemaria query, last night my wife downloaded jigsaw galore and suggested I do so on my win7. It asked me to download a programme which I was suspicious of so declined, the same as jeannemaria, it failed to open. my wife said it was safe so she downloaded it and hey presto spent rest of evening doing jigsaws. Found a lovely piccie my son had sent via his iphone on Tuesday, created it on jigsaw and spent 96m 57s building picture in 220 pieces, all good fun

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 12, 12 8:09 AM
As everyone has said, this is a GREAT jigsaw puzzle game with tons of options!

One thing I found that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it has a really cool screensaver. I turned mine on and found that it randomly chooses pics (probably from the My Pictures folder on your computer) and you can watch it automatically complete a jigsaw of the picture. Sometimes I just sit and watch it trying to guess which picture it is as it completes the puzzle.

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Jan 15, 12 1:41 PM
quarlesqueen wrote:
Does anyone know if this one has a feature were you can just place the edge's first?
Well off to try the demo, hope I love it and can figure out all of the directions, which I find confusing sometimes, in jigsaw games

Hi, this is the developer. Yes, you can do that. To fetch just the edge pieces to a tray, right-click the tray and select the menu option to fetch all the edge pieces. Alternatively, you can fetch just middle pieces or just fun pieces.

~ David

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Jan 15, 12 1:54 PM
karolyneb wrote:Review for Jigsaws Galore
Jigsaws Galore ...

The Bad:
Some of the included image names are misspelled

No way to configure Mystery Mode to display the puzzle images in the main selection screen but hide the images when actually putting a puzzle together. One can keep turning Mystery Mode on and off when selecting a puzzle but it still would be nice to be able to see the thumbnails.

Who will love this (aside from the obvious "Folks who like jigsaw puzzles" ):
Folks who like to have an activity in the background while they work

Auto-save is set to 'off' by default. I'd recommend enabling it.

The developer's web site has free images to download as well as lots more to purchase ($15 for 50 images). Try doing a web search to find it.

Hi, this is the developer. Great comprehensive review, thank you. Just to expand on the "Mystery Mode" and turning off the background ghost. You can turn the background ghost on and off while playing using the toolbar button with the ghost picture on it. You don't need to use Mystery Mode just to hide the pictures while playing. Mystery mode was added for some people that simply don't want to see any of the pictures at all ahead of time so everything is a complete surprise to them. In your case I would advise leaving Mystery Mode OFF and just toggle the ghost image on and off to suit. Same with the little overlay window picture.

Auto-save is set to OFF by default since the game already automatically saves the jigsaw whenever you quit the game or play a different jigsaw. The separate auto-save feature does a periodic save in case your area is prone to power outages. I don't enable it by default as the periodic save may be distracting, especially on very large puzzles.

~ David

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Jan 15, 12 2:05 PM
jeannemaria wrote:Last night i tried to download this game for Trial. It seems like a game i would like. Near the end of the download a Message popped up to install a program. I did NOT want to do that. I don't want to run the risk of damage to my computer programmes. The Game downloaded and i got a Desktop icon of Jigsaws Galore, but I can NOT play it. It says: Cannot find import: DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version. File "openall 32dll" error 126.

Has anyone else had the same problems? I don't know what to do. If Big Fish can guarantee it is absolutely safe then i will first delete and then re-install "Jigsaws Galore".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi, this is the developer. You can check with BigFishGames but I think this just means that during the install you didn't say OK when prompted to install OpenAL. OpenAL (Open Audio Library) handles the sound effects that the game plays and the game won't run if this file is not present. OpenAL is a well known audio library and the file in question is distributed by Creative Labs, so no problem there. Please install again and you should be all set.

~ David

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jan 17, 12 2:08 AM
In this case there really is no reason for BFG to warn anyone that the game will attempt to download another program. If anything it would have been more confusing than helpful. The vast majority of people already have OpenAL on their computer without realizing it and therefore most of us are not asked for permission to download it. As David mentioned, it is a widely used file by many programs - quite safe. Who better than the developer to reassure you

What a great program David - thanks!!

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 2:10:11 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 19, 12 12:24 AM
Love this game! I've always enjoyed jigsaw puzzles, and it is so nice not
to worry about where to store the board to an unfinished puzzle. It's also great to not lose pieces, which I have in the past. Plenty of puzzles to choose from.

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Jan 19, 12 1:26 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks to the developers of this one. I've tried other jigsaw puzzle games and on the whole they've been lacking in that elusive "fun factor." Frankly, they've been cumbersome and rather annoying. I read the reviews here, and gave this one a try, and so far, it gets a huge two thumbs up, five stars, etc., from me. I love the screen saver. Love it. The only problem is that it is mesmerizing, so it's difficult to escape!

There are so many options in this that it feels like the devs goal honestly was to create the ultimate jigsaw puzzle game. One can't help but wonder if they are jigsaw puzzle fiends, too. I recommend people take the time to read through the help guide, and look at the options and tools in detail - there might be a hidden gem in there you could miss otherwise. Like the fact that you can put all of the interior pieces in a tray and do only the borders first. The trays are great in general - great idea and well designed.

It's difficult for me to do physical jigsaws -- lack of adequate table space and some back issues. I finally found as good a virtual substitute as possible. Thank you! Nice job!

[Post New]by silenita2000 on Jan 19, 12 10:35 PM
Excellent game. I tried other jigsaw puzzle games but I would rate this one as THE jigsaw puzzle.

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 21, 12 4:23 AM
This is a fantastic game! David, you really created something for everyone that loves Jigsaw Puzzles. The thought and care to every little detail is explained in depth under "Help", so many choices! I'm so glad I love (and buy), all (and I mean all!), of the CE's...I have already created several beautiful puzzles. Thank you! and too!

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Feb 1, 12 1:39 PM
QEIII wrote:

Unlike the awful jigsaw game that came out a couple of months ago (sorry, can't remember name!) the whole screen doesn't move when you go to pick up a piece.

Okay I've never played a computer jigsaw before but my hour was up before I knew it. The only thing that was majorly irritating to me was picking up the whole puzzle when I'm just trying to put one piece in. Am I doing something wrong?

I took a look at the options and like the other fishies said you can pick an already made puzzle or make your own. I like how you can make the puzzle pieces bigger too. I'm not losing my sight yet and want to keep it that way. All in all I am seriously impressed and will buy this game.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Feb 1, 12 6:52 PM
I am in my late 70's never done a puzzle in my life. never had the patience so I approached this game with caution thinking that I would just take a peak.

After ten minutes it was a buy for me. there are easy puzzles for a newbie like me and you can go on to the more difficult or make one of your own. the pictures are beautiful and instructions and options are clearly defined.

I also like the idea that if there is a picture that you really like and would want to frame it there is a print out option there as well.

I recommend this game for anyone who has not done a jigsaw before. You can relax, take your time, no annoying music in the background. Well worth the money

mom68
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by mom68 on Feb 1, 12 9:01 PM
This is a total buy for me. I love puzzles, and have been wanting a "real" puzzle game on Big Fish for some time. Thank you, Big Fish!

Happy Gaming, Fishes!

[Post New]by Jigsaws_Galore on Feb 3, 12 9:27 AM
mary102696 wrote:The only thing that was majorly irritating to me was picking up the whole puzzle when I'm just trying to put one piece in. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Mary, this is the developer.

I suspect the piece in question just got hidden behind the larger chunk of puzzle. At any time you can right-click a chunk of pieces and select "Send to back" and this will reveal any pieces that were underneath.

Alternatively, you could open a tray, right-click the tray and select "Fetch unsolved pieces" and any remaining single unsolved pieces will be fetched to the tray.

Enjoy the puzzles!

~ David

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Mar 17, 12 12:07 AM
KIW0612 wrote:In this case there really is no reason for BFG to warn anyone that the game will attempt to download another program. If anything it would have been more confusing than helpful. The vast majority of people already have OpenAL on their computer without realizing it and therefore most of us are not asked for permission to download it.

I respectfully disagree. I too would have liked to be told that the game would attempt to download another program. I have never even heard of OpenAL, so it was not on my computer, and I declined the download because I didn't understand what it was.

[Post New]by brokentreasures on Mar 22, 12 5:43 AM
I love these puzzles! Is there any way you can get more puzzles for this game?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 24, 12 9:49 AM
brokentreasures wrote:I love these puzzles! Is there any way you can get more puzzles for this game?

Yes you can, they are available from the developers website and they are Delightful, Gorgeous, Really beautiful, Amazing and Yummy and if you take the last five capital letters that I have used and add a dot com you will be able to find them .

Happy puzzling.

Cherb

Mods ...

Please note that I have been a little and not mentioned any URL's at all, plus BFG doesn't sell the extra puzzles so please let my post stand <insert begging emoticon here> .

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 9, 12 6:12 PM
I bought this one for my wife. She is really enjoying this. She likes the challenge of the timer and trys to beat her last puzzle.

Go to: