dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts Collectors Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 17, 11 10:11 AM
I like all HOG games, but this one isn't much of one. I was very disappointed, especially after reading the reviews. Did not care for the SG, too many clicks and moves (walk to back of boat, talk to..., walk to center of boat, walk to front of boat, click on.... This needs to be set up better, more like all of the other SG and WT. Graphics were okay, but nothing special, a lot of running around to accomplish only one thing, not many HOGs, and "floating" alphabet when you find a HOG item is distracting and a waste of time. ONe of the few CE games that is not a buy for me.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 17, 11 10:21 AM
The graphics are great and pretty clear. I always enjoy voice overs and this has good voice overs. I enjoyed the first of this series, but this one is so much better. The story is very interesting and the gameplay flows. I will wait for the SE version, because I don't buy CE's. But it's a great game and a must have.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

PB2010
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by PB2010 on Jul 17, 11 10:52 AM
I'm pretty impressed with this game, which surprises me! I generally don't like 'segmented games' whereby the game is divided into sections which you have to pass to move on to the next one. I much prefer games which open up lots of avenues and you wear out sneakers going backwards and forwards.

That said - the HOG scenes (one per section) are challenging and in the one case I've come across so far - the first of its kind. It's not a junkpile, but a papyrus. Loved it for its novelty.

There is a lot of head scratching involved - which is great! After you've done 100-odd IHOGS, you pretty much know what to do. But with this game, it's not so easy to figure out what to make use of where. One minor gripe, though, is sometimes you have to click exactly to make your tool work. So on a few occasions, I've tried something and assumed it hasn't worked (in fact this is spelt out to you), but having resorted to the walkthrough, I then found the magic spot.

A nice Sunday afternoon game in my opinion. Definitely gets a B+ from me. (I'm stingy with my As!).

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jul 17, 11 10:59 AM
Cons: I had an extremely difficult start to test drive the game (see technical issues). Options are standard - but I wished they would put a no "click" penalty option. The penalty is so completely annoying I will rethink purchasing the game. The music was grating on my nerves so I turned it basically off. I also found the toolbar was annoying when trying to get to the edge to pickup something or to leave to another area. I found some items were not shown in the strategy guide so I could find them. The verdict is out on rather I like it or not - I found the guide a bit confusing, especially when my answer was wait for the hint button to load. The hint button even on easy challenge was slow to reload. I could not find a "polecat" (since in our region a polecat is a skunk) - lots of click penalties. This is more of an adventure game then a HOG and since it took me a half hour to get off the boat it's probably going to be a long game. I found nothing really intuitive about it so far.

"Pros" I found the introduction and graphics well done and imaginative. I enjoyed the Professor's interaction. Some very interesting, thought provoking, and challenging min-games and items to locate or use in this game. The adventure draws you in - I just have to decide if the frustration over the clicking penalty is worth it.

Edited on 07/17/2011 at 11:03:22 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 17, 11 11:23 AM
It's a definite buy for me. Much better than Amelia. My only problem is that I buy most CE's and they are the only SE's released for the most part. We really need some good SE's that aren't re-released CE's

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 17, 11 11:23 AM
It's a definite buy for me. Much better than Amelia. My only problem is that I buy most CE's and they are the only SE's released for the most part. We really need some good SE's that aren't re-released CE's

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Jul 17, 11 11:30 AM
This is a great game. I was skeptical that I would purchase this as a CE based on the first game in the series, but I quickly changed my mind. Just 20 minutes into the game I exited to make my purchase. It's back to the game for me, but just had to take a break to thank the developers, and to give my 2 thumbs up.

hubbasa
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by hubbasa on Jul 17, 11 11:36 AM
Hi fellow water life.
I finished the demo and immediately purchased this CE. It lives up to the high standards set by the MCF programs but adds its own goodies.
Top likes:
Movie score quality music
Focused Help - only need to "peek" at what you want to know. Don't have to open the SG and accidentally find out the answers for other puzzles you want to solve yourself
Educational - the information provided as the background to the story is based on facts, such as, the Dogon tribes' rituals
Challenging puzzles
More Adventure and minimal junk pile hidden object scenes

In my pond, this is the best CE game that has been released since the MCF 13th skull.

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Jul 17, 11 11:55 AM
crazy8club wrote: PS: Get rid of the snakes or give me a shotgun so I can that I can.

Hahaha! While I don't mind snakes, a lot of games give "useful objects" (crowbars, knives, shotguns, rocket launchers) to use and then they're gone . If I were out in the woods, I sure would hang on to them!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 17, 11 12:00 PM
dancemom1 wrote:I like all HOG games, but this one isn't much of one. I was very disappointed, especially after reading the reviews. Did not care for the SG, too many clicks and moves (walk to back of boat, talk to..., walk to center of boat, walk to front of boat, click on.... This needs to be set up better, more like all of the other SG and WT. Graphics were okay, but nothing special, a lot of running around to accomplish only one thing, not many HOGs, and "floating" alphabet when you find a HOG item is distracting and a waste of time. ONe of the few CE games that is not a buy for me.

Totally agree. Story too old. The game was very well done, but I lost interest very quickly.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 17, 11 12:44 PM
I do not know what to make of this game. I found the music, at least in Africa, was giving me a headache. The H0 scene I came across was not too crowded with junk, the graphics are good. I just got a little bored running to the front of the ship and then running to the back and back to the front. I may purchase, but right now there are a couple of CE's that I want to try before I make my decision. To all who enjoy this game enjoy. Not a review, just my opinion.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 17, 11 2:07 PM
Subject matter is Fresh!

Finally, an IHOG that doesn't start with an old car. Then a gate you need to find the key for. Then after you find that key, gotta get into an old mansion but the door needs a doorknob or it's boarded up, so where's that crowbar...then only to find yep, you need to find the doorknob too.

So off I go, enjoying this fresh theme headed 'round the world. I love the graphics, so clear. Music in Africa was good for me too, but we'll see how it goes further in. Nothing too traumatically difficult with puzzles so far, although I did smack myself up side of the head cuz I got stuck on the Grappling Gun.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 17, 11 2:15 PM
Enjoyed the game play. The graphics were great and the music suited the scene's. Didn't get very far but the puzzles were fun and had good help from the hint menu. DIdn't play the previous Unsolved Mystery Club selection so have no coments on that. The storyline is different and if I get into it more will probley find it very changeling.. Have to wait to see if I will buy it as a CE or not???

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jul 17, 11 3:39 PM
Another fine and enjoyable game. Thanks BF

[Post New]by triquetra33 on Jul 17, 11 5:10 PM
This one was nice looking, but didn't really grab my attention. This is just a personal preference, I generally like "eerie" games. What did impress me was that this is the first game that I have played in a few weeks that didn't have some sort of technical issue, so I have to give BFG credit for that! Looking forward to seeing what other games are around the corner....

abbyD
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by abbyD on Jul 17, 11 6:09 PM
I agree!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 17, 11 8:25 PM
My demo hour flew by with this one and I will definitely be buying it, hopefully this week.

I didn't even finish the Dogon location in my hour, so this is probably going to be a long game for me, making it worthwhile. I did have to turn to the strategy guide a couple of times, so the CE might be the better route for me.

I, for one, loved the music I heard so far. I liked the quiet two-beat drum sound that played when I clicked on the wrong object in a H0 scene. I tend to like African music, and the music so far was appropriate to the African setting, which is something I really appreciate in a game. It shows that the developers eschewed going the generic route and put a little extra effort into it.

The graphics are gorgeous in this game. It is more of an adventure game with iHOG scenes thrown in, but that's fine with me. The scenes had multiple actions in them - you pick up things, you look at others, there's action that has to be done, etc. I really enjoy that kind of game much more than the ones where you do one thing and then the scene is done. The H0 scenes contained objects appropriate to the location - no castles or tennis rackets, etc.in a Dogon hut. The items were not too hard to find though some were a bit of a challenge and were interactive. The individual locations are not linear; you can wear out your sneakers if you like to do so, and you can accumulate items in your inventory before you need to use them, which I like. The penalty for incorrect clicks is a cursor that spins on itself and a shaking of the scene; that just made me pay closer attention to what I was looking for and not just randomly click on items hoping that sooner or later I'd just collect all of them that way. I always see those penalties as the developers way of making us pay attention to something that they devoted a lot of time and effort to.

I found the historical information provided with the location fascinating, so I actually learned something with this game. I also liked hearing the languages of the area spoken out loud; I love hearing the sounds of new languages.

I didn't have any problems installing the game or running it on my Vista system. I did play the demo through the entire time available, so I don't know if my experience would be different if I had stopped and started it, given the problems listed in the Tech thread.

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Jul 17, 11 9:11 PM
I bought the game after the demo and the CE is worth the money. Very well made game except for the spinning cursor after 3 wrong clicks. However, not enough to make me not buy this great game.

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Jul 17, 11 9:33 PM
Great game, graphics, storyline; and gameplay!

My only complaint is that the 'Skip' and 'Hint' timers are waaaaayyyyyyy too long!!! Especially the Skip timer. I don't think I've played a game with a Skip timer that was so long! The Skip timer is ridiculously long! It was surprising to me, given the rest of the gameplay is great. Gosh, wonder who decided on timer length? Major fail!

I hope developers will one day realize that the pace of the game is critical and crucial to the enjoyment of it. I absolutely love it when the timers fill back up very quickly. As a gamer, let me decide when I've had enough of a puzzle or trying to find an object. I think I know when I don't want to keep looking for something or am finished trying to figure out a puzzle I'm never gonna figure out-much less wanna take the time to try and figure it out. Slow timers are a MAJOR joy-kill for me.

Edited on 07/17/2011 at 9:42:32 PM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jul 18, 11 12:43 AM
Well, the first chapter of this game is fun. Interesting use of inventory items, well done mini-games, extra steps for certain items in H0 scenes, great art and an interesting story. The music is a little too drumm-y but it's original and suits the mood. This chapter is very long with many different scenes to explore.

Chapter two: the extra steps in the H0's are a little obvious, but there's a few interesting inventory use puzzles and a few of the usual mini-games. The music is very pretty, not quite as original but nice enough. There aren't quite as many scenes but the art is great.

Then you hit chapter 3 and there are no more extra steps in the H0 scenes, the inventory items seem a little bit perfunctory, the mini games are rehashes, you're going back and forth a little too much. (Find an inventory item go back 4 scenes, use it, get an inventory item to use in the scene you just came from.) I can't remember the music and it was noticeably shorter with far fewer scenes.

Chapter 4 is short. There's about 5 scenes. Inventory is just an excuse to run back and forth, mini-games are few and very humdrum. The extras in H0 scenes are nowhere to be found. Music sounds like generic adventure, maybe they got it in a library.

But that's nothing compared to chapter 5 (Spoilers hidden, highlight to read)
which seems like it was thrown together by people who are angry at gamers. That disc of gems you've been collecting for the whole game, it gets used only to open a door! That's it. No puzzle, no wrap up. Just some weird nonsensical Nazi tie-in that is never resolved. Inside are 3 different "slide the tiles to move one tile into position. Two scenes that are nothing but a gray hallway with a door lock puzzle (the same type both times) on the end. More boring stuff happens and the grand finale is a simple simon game!

Chapter 1 and chapter 5 feel like they were done by two different developers. The first chapter has all the extras, bells and whistles. The last chapter feels like one of those games that make people ask why BFG would even consider offering it. Cheap, ugly, unimaginative and boring.

Ugh! It's so frustrating when devs pull a bait and switch like this. Put a lot of work into the first chapter and then slap together the rest of the game. I'm really disappointed. The first two chapters are worth playing but the rest of the game, and the bonus game aren't worth paying CE prices.

Go to: