Re:Reviews for Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge

[Post New]by TJ2008 on Aug 8, 11 8:25 AM
I am also a big fan of the ND games and really enjoyed this one. Maybe it's me, but I love those number logic puzzles. I had a great time with the bento boxes too.

One of the reasons that I really liked this game was that I had a chance to learn a little more about another culture. So many of the ND games are based in North American/European backdrops. This was a nice change of pace for Nancy.

A couple of things I would improve on: there definitely needs to be a skip option during the dialogue. I read much faster than the characters speak, and it's sometimes painful to wait for them to read their lines! I also wish Nancy had gotten a chance to explore other areas in Japan besides the pachinko parlor.

Things I really liked: the subway puzzle was interesting, but I'm glad there were shortcuts available after the first go through. The robotic cat was fun too. I really liked the traditional garden and that nothing bad jumps out at your there... it really was a nice place to relax, or make a phone call!

Overall, this was one of my favorite ND games. The puzzles were manageable and I didn't resort to using a walkthrough more than a couple of times.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 8, 11 8:31 AM
That subway puzzle was a bit strage in the demo anyway. I mean who in their right mind would get out of the train at each station if your destination is further down on the same line?

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Aug 11, 11 4:12 PM
I love Nancy Drew games so I just had to buy this one! Sorry, but I've got no review to give yet

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Nov 27, 11 9:28 PM
Another entertaining Nancy Drew game. The characters are engaging, the atmosphere is spot on, and the graphics lovely. The biggest negative was the constant back & forth to do singular tasks, & also as you were teaching during the day, only having the afternoon & evening to get things done, was a little limiting, & tedious at times. In saying that, this game had some very entertaining puzzles, especially the Suduko, Renagrams & Nonagrams - just loved those.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Dec 25, 11 11:17 AM
Wow! This is the first Nancy Drew game I have played. I was always reluctant because of the no-demos but I took the plunge and used a credit. What fantastic value and now I'm really excited because I've got LOADS of Nancy Drews to play!

There were a couple of real frustrations in the puzzles. Some of them are BIG and take a long time, or are difficult and timed, so if you don't like puzzles that have no SKIP options then probably not for you but maybe there are other Nancy Drew games with less of them?

The story was great and I loved the Japanese theme particularly the Bento moments (loved those puzzles). It's pretty creepy and jumpy in places too which was fun.

There's a lot of walking around to do, exploring, travelling,..which I found frustrating at first.... but once I'd really got into the game and understood the fact that you really are trying to solve a mystery I loved it! Pretty addictive game play and HOURS of it!

In a nutshell I'm really happy I took the plunge and right now, I'm shopping for another one!

felsta
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by felsta on Feb 6, 12 2:00 AM
I have to say that Shadows at the Water's Edge has to be one of the scariest ND games I've ever played. I really enjoyed the cultural aspect of the game. The ryokan was designed very well and the games (the pachinko in particular) was so much fun. I couldn't help but redeem every single thing from the prize-machine. The dialog is a bit much and the Japanese accents are so fake, especially the grandmother's.

I found it quite limiting that Nancy can't do anything during the day. This game requires more phone (in-game) usage too. I'm always ringing someone up to ask them a question to keep the game going.

Still a good game though! Can't wait for another to come out.

appiel
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by appiel on Apr 16, 12 3:40 PM
How do i get Savannah's book.
I already got the collar, have spoken to everyone.
Avatar is done. Got the EVP but i cannot get behind that tree.
Please help!
Thanks.
Alm,a

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 19, 12 5:57 AM
Nancy Drew goes Japan. Bess and George are in the same city for an expo, but - as usual - she only contacts them via phone. She should have stayed with them, cause she ends up in a traditional Ryokan, which is supposedly haunted.

The Good:

+ all the Japanese clichés are in there (reserved family, self-made clothes, ghosts, ceremonies...)
+ Nonograms, Sudoku and Renograms
+ hard Bento logic puzzle
+ scary at times (secret bath! WHOA!), mitigated by the fact that it's quite predictable when the haunts are coming
+ two different endings (which aren't really that different)
+ spot on voice acting (Japanese accents did not sound fake to me, those roles were cast with Asian people)
+ more phone interaction with Bess and George...

The Neutral:

o ...but they don't give you many hints, if any
o not quite logical: you are snooping through the Ryokan and night and nobody notices at all
o also not quite logical: the Subway Puzzle. Say you have to take the "U1" for three stations - would you get off the train twice to board the next train of the same line again? (at least they give you a short cut after the first time)

The Bad:

- only three locations outside the Ryokan
- plot hole: you have to stay in Yumi's Apartment because of no more trains that are running - I have taken trains at later times already
- the game does not tell you how often you have to repeat Bento and other things to get an award

Bottom Line: The neutral and negative points are fairly negligible if you are into scary, puzzle-heavy adventures. Definitely one of the better Nancy Drew games.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 7:18 PM
I love that most Nancy Drew adventures are so different from each other while still retaining elements that make them distinctly 'nancy drew.' Some ND games set around homes or castles etc end up being quite alike and rely on different plot or puzzles to be different, although they are good.

This feels different from the people being widely dispersed - two on phone, one elsewhere and three within the Ryokan. There is a theme in this game and it's very strong throughout - Japanese culture from modern to traditional and I thought how they did this was excellent. Even the puzzles are mostly Japanese or are well known in Japan, little things like that make this a very well-thought out game.

Sometimes ND games are more adventure with only a couple of puzzles, here there are a lot and as usual you can't skip them. The puzzles you have are -
suduko (quite a few)
nonogram
renogram
memory skills
origami
cryptogram type
tangram
bento boxes (picture puzzle)
couple of timed puzzles
Pachinko

In ND games you always get a couple of games that you can play as much as you want - here it was pachinko which is an arcade/pinball type game and bento boxes which if you don't like the picture you get just back out and go in again and it gives you a different configuration.

If you don't like suduko, nonogram, and renogram puzzles I found out after playing that if you get an easter egg in the game (there are 4) you can actually skip those that are given by one person (although you will have to do a couple later in the game.) There is one timed colour in type puzzle near the end and thankfully I got it on the third try or would have got frustrated as I don't like timed things.

I love learning things and learned quite a bit about Japanese culture by doing a couple of puzzles and by reading things in the game.
There were a good variety of locations and sometimes it's just set in one place - here you go to an arcade parlour, a mall (I think) an apartment, and the ryokan which has gardens, baths as well as the main area.

As it was a bit more complex the plot there was slightly more dialogue in it than other games but it wasn't a dialogue heavy game at all factoring in all the adventure, exploring and puzzles although it would be great if you could skip dialogue once you had read it. I loved it and wouldn't have changed the amount at all as I thought it was interesting.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 7:19 PM
continued

If anyone has seen "the ring" I think you will appreciate one aspect of it - I loved the nod to that movie with that but if you haven't seen it (and I do recommend the Japanese version much more creepy) it isn't necessary but an added layer of 'very clever and creepy' if you have.** the first thing I wanted to do after watching the DVD is make a copy ** Also the obvious nod to 'the grudge' movie and like those movies this, especially at one part actually made me jump and no game ever does that with me. I so loved that Japanese ghost thread throughout (so different from other ghost stories.)

As there was a lot going on, if you are new to ND games to even to LF then do choose junior mode. As you get a task list to check off, and I do secretly miss that playing senior! Also you get to phone Bess or George for a hint and I think the puzzles could be easier so if you don't like puzzle then do choose junior mode as you can't skip them.

The second chance is here as usual, which brings you back to a time before you make a mistake or timed puzzles. It's a manual save game and load game, so you can go back if you make a mistake so save often but don't overwrite old saves.

This is one of the games that have achievements but you don't know what they are till the end of the game if you do want to know what they are beforehand, do a search so you know what to try or just leave it to chance to see how you did! I love them.

I thought this was a very clever, involved plot, and hard (but not in the very hard range) puzzles with interesting adventure game. It's not one of their 'easier' games and if you don't like a lot of puzzles it might not be for you but what a well-done game that I learned a lot from - what more can I ask?

Go to: