mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Comments for The Lost City: Chapter One

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 27, 11 7:51 AM
Well I got as far as the Fathers room and quit. I found this game very frustrating and not a whole lot of fun. I think this game could have been a good one with a some tweaking. Wonder if it ever got beta tested? Will save my coupons and money for something better that hopefully will come along. Looking forward to Thursday's CE, I heard its a good one.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 27, 11 8:43 AM
I tried the game, I don't think I will be buying either, THe game did not grab me like most games..sorry DEV's Bf

[Post New]by downunder46 on Jul 27, 11 9:03 AM
I thought "Episode One"' good, I like it when there are sequels to a game. I spent the first 10 minutes trying to get out of the car. No matter how many times I clicked on the door handle, nothing happened. Exited to get the W/T, when I went back in, the door handle worked! I've never used a W/T so early or so often in a game before. When I saw the concierge, I couldn't exit the close-up scene, had to exit the game and go in again. The key mini-game was annoying. I managed to last to the end of the trial, thinking it had to get better, but it didn't. I got as far as opening the safe before the trial ended, which is about halfway through the 3rd chapter, the W/T says there are 7 chapters. I may buy as a DD or COTW, but not at SE price.This the 1st time i've commented on a game, so I hope I did O.K.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jul 27, 11 11:04 AM
I disliked many of the same things as others mentioned here and in the Review thread but, for me, the worst offence was the language.

I can handle odd cursors and strange logic for how to get out of a car. I don't mind older style graphics and puzzles with no instructions.

What I can't stand is not bothering to have a native english speaker go through this game first to clean up the language.

I was struggling along with awful dialogue and directions until I got to the Diary. It is unintelligible, to say the least, and that's where I drew the line.

I've beta tested a fair bit and many of the games I've played have come from developers in Europe. The best of them have someone who speaks english as their first language go through the game BEFORE it's released.

I'm not saying we all have to speak english. I'm saying don't release a game in english if you can't write in the language!

You don't even have to hire someone. So many of us beta test because we love the games and we are all more than happy to fix the language problems if you just ask.

Sorry for the rant. This is a particular pet peeve of mine and it makes this game an immediate No Buy for me.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 27, 11 12:38 PM
oh, oh, oh! i can't wait to go save timmy's father! one might pause here and wonder what business a gang of crooked archeologists has in kidnapping anyone... but mystical artifacts seem to make people do all kinds of things in games these days...

now... on to the game... let's see if it's as bad as it seems

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 27, 11 1:27 PM
Trust that I would like this game if it, in my belief, was ready for prime time.

I encountered a problem after navigating outside the Father's room. Inserted key and obviously needed a door knob. After searching around the hallway it was clear that the door knob had to be somewhere else. I managed to get a glimpse of the "old" lady who needed her flower. From that point on I was unable to navigate back to the lobby nor go upstairs. I concluded the game has me confined to the hallway with no possible escape.

I had no problems with the game not having a tutorial. If I was on the design team I would surely offer a number of enhancements.

I suppose I am hopelessly attached to feedback as presented say in the MCF games.

An annoying issue from the get go was the presentation of Options. Sticking the sliders on Music for example is not straight forward. After figuring that out the next encounter was Fullscreen. Fullscreen once selected should let the player know the selection is On/Off.

On exit/quit of the game and a relaunch the Options that you, with some pain, set up to your preference the settings are not always saved.

I am not a fan of the tool bag. I would at least have liked an option to leave it open e.g. displaying objects in the tool bag until I as a player did not won't to view. I like the feature of Hover Over items in inventory displaying the objects name.

As with GUI's say on Windows games should carry through with learned features of other games. For example, Standards. Adopting Standards is a good thing. A game possessing Standards ensures that the player can navigate easier i.e. the player now has some knowledge s/he has carried forward.

A game that is built on Standards does not mean that Standards replaces Creativity. For example, the first game that introduced Morphing Objects did not brake, what I believe, was Standards protocols. Introducing the creative feature of Morphing Objects was simply not only creative but yet another feature that can be added to the Standards tool chest for another game development team to consider using. We certainly do not want to stifle creativity after all we HOG players long for new and entertaining creativity from game development teams.

I am aware of the work from all who bring games to the ever hungry for a new game HOG audience. It saddens me when there are bugs with the game. A game which users are stumped, as with a puzzle, to me means only the game is challenging. Bugs a different issue.

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Jul 27, 11 2:13 PM
Wow. What a dumb game. Hate the cursor, hate the graphics, hate the mini-games, hate the music, hate pretty much everything.

biggamer25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by biggamer25 on Jul 27, 11 6:57 PM
this game is not a nice game I tried the game but I couldn't even sign in on the darn thing. every time I would write my name in the player box and then click Play nothing happens. The name is gone and I still can't play. What kind of game is this. Somebody please tell what's going on here.

biggamer25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

this game is not a nice game I tried the game but I couldn't even sign in on the darn thing. every time I would write my name in the player box and then click Play nothing happens. The name is gone and I still can't play. What kind of game is this. Somebody please tell what's going on here.

biggamer25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 27, 11 7:43 PM
I am not sure about this one either. Thanks to this forum, I didn't have any trouble getting out of the car...ain't that something, lol. And I didn't find any other flowers, that it would let me get, besides the one outside. I managed to get the door to her father's apt open, and then ny dogs needed me. By the time I got back to the game, the trial period was up. I have a handful of iffy games that I went ahead and bought and have yet to finish, so while I would jump on a good one in a heartbeat, I am not certain that this one is going to qualify as a good one, yet. I would have liked to play out the trial, but at least there is a walkthrough, Think I will wait and get this one tomorrow, maybe. Bought new books today, and they are all calling my name

Edited on 07/27/2011 at 7:45:52 PM PST

shany1
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by shany1 on Jul 27, 11 9:09 PM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I wonder if this game was testing by people. There is a lot of trouble.

I am with you on that! I wonder if they let us that don't care for this game give us another chance once they get the message and make it more user friendly.

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Jul 27, 11 11:29 PM
Played it to Chapter 6 and then it just glitched again. I am really sorry I tried to like it and paid for it. You could not give me the next chapters free.

[Post New]by dialBUG on Jul 28, 11 4:13 AM
Try this game and think it's pretty hard to play. But if you like the challenge it's for you. This is more than adventure, this is type of games that called as i thing quest. SO you need to think and one more time think about logic and evereything else. Finished the demo in the aquarium and checked the walkthrough - there is a 7 chapters and i even don't passed the 2. So i will buy it and play a long time .

kcrosley2
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by kcrosley2 on Jul 28, 11 8:35 AM
uhg i have the code for the safe but safe won't open pls help ty

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jul 28, 11 8:57 AM
Hello Fellow Fish,

This game is a little different, which I like sometimes. The twigs around the border and the strange cursor were annoying at first. Once I got used to them it was not too much of a problem.

The minigames were interesting as was the story line and the hidden objects scenes within scenes. The game is more of an old time adventure game where if you don't do something you're stuck in the game until you get it done. This is annoying sometimes but it makes a person think about what has to be done.

I had six minutes left in the demo. I got to the safe in the father's apartment and judging by the walkthrough I have quite a way to go before I get to the finish. I enjoyed the game for the most part. It was interesting but the scenery was depressing to me. I'm not sure whether it was the color or what but I found it to be very depressing. I will probably buy the game in the future but it will most likely be bought at the Daily Deal price. Even though the game has many positives it has almost as many negatives.

I give this game

[Post New]by teacher123abc on Jul 28, 11 6:17 PM
I won't be buying this game either. I feel completely lost and confused. Weird way it is layed out to me.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jul 30, 11 4:33 PM
I mostly like this game, I found the trial a bit of a challenge which is good. I did find the cursor annoying at first though. I just checked the walkthrough to see where I am in the game and I am very nearly at chapter 3. The game length is quite good, not too short. I may buy this game if I need another stamp on my punch card or as a DD.

iluvmycats63
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by iluvmycats63 on Jul 30, 11 4:50 PM
Hello this is a trilogy ..?!..man am I in for a brain meltdown....... I'm learning to go slow with this game.. I hope you all are like me and in there cause this is going to be a bumpy ride to get thru all 3 of these babies good lucky......good luck fellow fishies( OH i will be one of the few who will stay on till the end ,,,,) I have to know what happens at the end

[Post New]by ShimShalabim on Jul 31, 11 5:12 AM
A complete mess!

Go to: