lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

Re:Review for Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lucyloket on Jul 28, 11 5:03 AM
This is my type of game - moody, spooky, mysterious etc.
The only little 'gripe' I have is that the graphics seem to be a little fuzzy. I'm wearing my glasses so I don't think it's me!
I also hope that the bonus play and extra scenes are separate extras
I've taken the plunge and purchased anyway (my 3rd CE!) Off to play now.

[Post New]by jeremy_dron on Jul 28, 11 5:05 AM
May be good game but not for me, Too easy but artwork is good.
Happy gaming!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 28, 11 5:23 AM
Excellent Game! Haven't had a good IHOG since Briar Rose. ( Same developers ?)
Keeps you very involved int he story and the story is a good one. Voice overs work wonderful.
The hidden object scenes are very well done. A lot of fun and many of them. The mini games are fantastic. Some are layered. I mean you solve a puzzle only to find another behind it. I thought that was a great idea.
The journal keeps you up to date on your tasks and suspects as well as giving you a map .
The strategy guide left a bit to be desired. Very hard to read with the colors.
Definite buy for me but I have to wait until the first as my cards are full and I won't start another this late in the month.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jul 28, 11 5:55 AM
This game is a winner in my opinion. The graphics are beautiful and clear, as in all Blue Tea games. The music wasn't too bad, but I had to turn it down. I enjoy FROGS, but in the time I played I also ran across a find the items by picture, which is a nice touch. I haven't run across any mini games, so I can not comment on that. I will certainly buy at the beginning of next month. Enjoy the game!!

holland34
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by holland34 on Jul 28, 11 5:56 AM
belamba wrote:Game is excellent BUT why no casual or advanced option? Too much hand holding as well. And those 'sparkles'...I hate sparkles. Do not like to be thought of by the devs as too stupid to fathom it out by myself!
Superb graphics, music, HOG scenes etc.

I agree. I've been waiting for this game for a long time and I am disappointed. The fragmented hidden object scenes are kind of boring - they got old by the 3rd one. It is a lovely, quality game - great graphics, music, story is OK - maybe it gets more interesting. The sparkles did it for me. I'd like to use my noggin figuring things out - it's what I'm paying for. It's a no buy for me, especially at the CE price.

Edited on 07/28/2011 at 6:07:01 AM PST

[Post New]by mgriffith67 on Jul 28, 11 6:03 AM
Hello all, I normally "creep" the forums and read reviews etc. I am a long-time fan of adventure/IHOGs and have played and bought many on here. I just HAD to comment on this game. It is beautiful and creepy at the same time!! LOVE it, I also love the other games they have done as well. Instant hook for me. All is done so well, I also enjoy the mini games, a little different than most. And looking for "pieces" of the item is to me much more interesting than just looking for whole objects. Gorgeous game, a definite buy for me, SE is most likely worth it. I usually look on the forums before buying a game to see what you all have said about it, but this one I did not need any other opinions on. The developers are great. I am sure I will love this game.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 28, 11 6:16 AM
I like it but I could do without the built-in hints like Gee, the door is locked. Oh, I know, I was a key over by the whatever. Not sure whether I want to buy it or not although I really enjoyed the Dark Parables and Briar Rose.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 28, 11 6:32 AM
Diana_K wrote:I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm going to pass.
There is no option for difficulty, and the story didn't grab me. IMO these games are beginning to look alike, and H0G scenes are boring me now.. I just click on every object that looks out of place, without looking at the words.
I'm not saying this isn't a good game, it's just not for me.

The artwork and the voice-overs were good.

Happy gaming to everyone who likes it!

Actually Diana that's what I used to do which is why I never bought FROGS. But you can't do that in this one. Superb game - loving every minute and determined to get those morphing objects

ETA (what is short term memory loss? I've forgotten ) wanted to say this is one of the rare cases when I am glad to pay CE price (and thankful I can afford it but only for the next couple of months) cos the developers have done such a good job. And I love it that you don't worry about the length (and I always do) cos it's such a great game it doesn't matter.

Edited on 07/28/2011 at 6:46:00 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Jul 28, 11 6:39 AM
Love, love this game. I actally like the FROG games, too, so that is an extra bonus for me. I am so glad this came along since I just haven't been impressed with any games lately. Not that they have been bad games, just haven't caught my interest.

Thanks to and

Joy

Now if they would just give us our old GM back I would be a very happy camper.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 28, 11 6:53 AM
Having played the demo; this will be my first purchase on Monday, for the new month. (I have filled 2 punch cards this month.) Think of all the superlatives for a Hidden Object Game, then find some more. It is sophisticated, utterly gorgeous, has a wonderful storyline, beautiful music and voice acting, shows imagination and fabulous creativity, is player-friendly, and never lets things get boring. It is a bit spooky, but not terrifying.The graphics could not be finer; and the dialogue, while important, is kept to a minimum. I fell in love with Blue Tea when I played Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose. They are the one developer that I never hesitate to buy CE's from. I was never a fan of FROGs until I tried that first Dark Parables. I still am not a fan of most of them, but Blue Tea does this genre better than anyone else. Their hint system is great (if you need it), but in the entire demo, I only used it once. Their pictures of the pieces you need are so perfect, that with just a bit of looking, you can find everything. The momentum does not lag: every time you find an object, or put one together, you are rewarded with new "horizons". There was minimal backtracking during the demo; and I have no reason to think that pattern will change. There is a map to help guide you and keep you oriented. Each time you come across a significant piece of information about a character, or collect something important, those are updated in your Map Book. This is one of the best Hidden Object Games we have seen this year. You do need to be aware that there are some points where you might be startled by something suddenly popping up. Great fun, marvelous exercise for our "little gray cells". There should be plenty of playing time, because the demo (it took me 53 minutes) takes you almost to the end of Chapter 2; and there are 6 chapters, plus a bonus chapter.

[Post New]by 70summerfield on Jul 28, 11 6:54 AM
This game is a winner! 20 minutes into the demo I knew it was a buy. Excellent graphics, interesting **** scenes, good storyline. Lately the games offered haven,t been able to keep my attention to play them through to the end--this one will. And, for you netbook players out there, this one works beautifully! Happy gaming!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 28, 11 6:58 AM
Excellent game. Very well done. Love it Beautiful graphics along with ghosts, ghoulies and a creepy environment....... what more could you ask for? Now this is a CE worthy of the price IMO. Hope everyone enjoys. Thanks Big Fish.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jul 28, 11 7:00 AM
Gorgeous, gorgeous game with a great story, good sound and clear and beautiful graphics. I have to have this game.

And hey! I just made Guppy!

Edited on 07/28/2011 at 7:00:39 AM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jul 28, 11 7:07 AM
My grade system:

Gameplay: A
Puzzles: A
Music: A
Graphics: A+
HOG scenes: A
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):N/A

My Overall Grade- A

This is a wonderful game with all that FROG lovers want and more. The graphics are stunning, the music is very nice, the voiceovers are top-notch, the FROG scenes are challenging and the puzzles throughout are varied and interesting. I very much enjoyed playing the demo and I was sad when it was over so I know that this is a buy for sure.

There ia no hard mode on this game and that is probably the only thing that is missing, the developers have really spent their time on this one and it shows. The sparkles indicating actions though are not in-your-face so I felt challenged anyway. There are 6 chapters, plus the bonus and I was just in chapter 2 when it ended, so the length for this game looks to be pretty good.

The FROG scenes are great and some must be visited more than once. I like FROG's and not everyone does them so I haven't played one in awhile and am happy to see one now. Some of the puzzles in the game ( doors to open, etc)require two solvings so that added depth to them which I liked alot. I also enjoyed just looking around at the scenery and that almost never happens in a game for me. I am definitely a HOG scene and puzzles lover and those grab me more than anything but the game is so gorgeous you can't help but look around and be in awe of what the developers have created.

This game is a a winner, and will appeal to many people, and it is worth the CE price in my opinion. I am buying it and can't wait to play again.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 28, 11 7:20 AM
I really enjoy this game as the hiddon objects are easier to find. I will buy this game because it's fun.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jul 28, 11 8:02 AM
Looks and sounds good on the video, and according to reviews. Downloading now.
Will see if I will wait for the SE or buy the CE. I'm a big HOG fan, and played most of them, but I'm getting a bit hogged out lately, especially with similar themes. Maybe will take a break from HOG's awhile, and check out some other genre's. Nice new Game Manager by the way!

[Post New]by baglady159 on Jul 28, 11 8:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of FROGS but this one wasn't too bad as the objects were not too hard to find, though I have to agree with another fishie that said you really didn't have to look at the pictures of what you needed to find...you just had to click on anything that looked out of place.
Still I was enjoying it up to the end of the trial. Not sure if I'll but it as a CE though. May wait to see how long the extra game play is before I decide.
One other thing...I read faster than the characters can talk and like it better when games have the option to click on the screen to hurry to the next conversation without having to wait for the character to finish speaking. This one doesn't have that option...I hate waiting...

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jul 28, 11 8:04 AM
I love FROGS, so this will be a buy for me and I NEVER buy CE's. I don't buy regular HOGS or IHOGS at all anymore. Too many junkpiles.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 28, 11 8:07 AM
Macabre Mysteries: Curse of the Nightingale is certainly another beautiful game from the team at Blue Tea Games. For those who enjoyed Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince, you will once again be delighted with this latest effort.

The graphics, as always, are stunning. The story is well developed and you are immediately transported to another place and time. The primary hidden object scenes are the same tri-panel frog-type as Exiled Prince, with a few other non- junkpile scenes thown in for good measure. The puzzles are fun and refreshing (what we've come to know and love from Mr. Zhao) and if that's not enough, there are morphing (macabre) objects to boot!

The guide does include a map, similar to that in Exiled Prince, as well as your objectives; however, some improvements have been made. The game is NOT spelled out step by step this time in the guide and I found there was no need to look at it at all. There are hints for the objectives, by means of pictures, but no in your face give-aways like the last game. Kudos, Blue Tea, for listening!

Sadly though, there are still the sparkles in the primary game (other than hidden object scenes) which could have (should have) been eliminated with the choice in play modes (casual vs difficult). Overall though, it appears that having Mr. Zhao back as Creative Director and the shuffling and addition of other team members were very positive factors for this new game. I'll be purchasing the CE because I've been a fan since Cactus Bruce and the Corporate Monkeys.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jul 28, 11 8:30 AM
sinshack wrote: (partial)

Heck - it's got morphing objects!!! What else does it need? I even found one so far!

Great graphics, suitably spooky music, lots to do and lots of wandering around trying to figure out where you need the stuff you collect in inventory.

Absolutely LOVE this game so far. However, although the tutorial is very short and not annoying (it doesn't make us use a hint) it never said anything about morphing objects. What kind are they? I hope they show the count in the map/objective book. I hate it when you have no idea how many have been collected except for you when you do find one.

I am thrilled that it does have FROG and **** scenes. One of my favorite FROG games was where you found almost all of the pieces but had to go to other locations to get the rest or use them (can't remember the name of that game-CRS kicks in once again).

This is a definite buy for me. The graphics are crisp, the voice overs are spot on, and the "extra" clicks to make animals chirp,bark, move, etc or the people talk are a great touch.

The music is not overly creepy and lends just the right atmosphere to the game. As for ambiance, I like some of it but when it comes to listening to water dripping I feel like it's the Chinese water torture treatment. I can't wait to get out of the scene. Same thing for buzzing sounds and thunder.

I agree with the new Game Manager being to big, too bulky and I resented having it thrust on me with no choice to keep the old one or download the new one. Yes I like the fact that you can have all the Activated games listed together but I still would vote a BIG thumbs down on the new GM.

Go to: