BP532
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Post any Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by BP532 on Aug 4, 11 2:59 AM
BP532 wrote:I'm @ 2 hours downloading and 68% complete. I have a powerful PC so this is surprising. I've never had such a slow download. Usually takes about 5 minutes tops. What is the deal?

Wow! Just deleted and downloaded after 2 1/2 hours. It took less than 5 minutes to load the second time. I don't get it!

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:Post any Grim Tales: The Bride Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by tillybaby on Aug 4, 11 3:00 AM
Tbh. I have tried everything known to man to try and download this game but alas it's stuck, why does it do about 25% and then stop? I've uninstalled my firewall, re-set my broadband everything but nothing and no explaination either, unless they are trying to sort something out at their end.

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Aug 4, 11 3:03 AM
I am at the point of deciding whether or not to buy the full version, but I have a quandary due to performance.

My experience with the trial was that the display flickered and juddered a great deal, whenever I moved the cursor or changed view (eg pop-ups or moving to a different scene).

I have all the latest drivers, etc, and a powerful (Windows 7) PC, with a high-spec graphics card and lots of memory; so, that isn't the problem. I note that the game's system requirements do not list Windows 7, which is annoying; however, I have tried all of the compatibility combinations, and everything else advised by BF, without improvement (placing it in XP mode actually made things worse). The only small effect was from a change of options to the system cursor, which reduced the flickering slightly.

I am also having the same problem as most others here with the Game Manager application. The latest version appears to be a pointless re-arrangement of presentation of the much the same content as before, with a confusing interface, and the downloads appear to be slower. Here, in the UK, I have a BT Infinity connection, which is a 40 Mb/s optical-fibre link, so I should have no local bottlenecks, and Speedtest.net informs me that I should get around 3 Mb/s from Seattle. It is not infrequent for the connection to be down in the 10s of kb/s range and have bad peaks and troughs (inconsistent flow/lots of errors), much worse than before.

Generally, quality and performance seem to have fallen through the floor with BFG recently, with loads of dodgy games and other problems, and no improvement in sight.

Edit ~ Full version download freezes at 43% [374.5 MB of 880.9 MB] and does not re-start, even if left for a while and even if I force a re-start of the Game Manager (ie so it uses a new link session).

Looks like another refund demand!

Best regards,
aT

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 3:21:41 AM PST

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Aug 4, 11 3:23 AM
I agree with all previous posts about the game manager. It takes forever to download a game. Last night I had to turn off the wireless adapter and use a Cat 5 cable to get a game to download on my notebook. Even with the cable connected, I had to stop then restart the download 10+ times to get the download to continue. The idea might have been good the reality is, the new game manager is a failure and doesn't work well.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 4, 11 3:28 AM
I've even tried using the non default download in options but still won't work.
What is going on? Is it the GM? BFGs servers? Or has the game a major bug? Whatever it is, it isn't my computers that's for sure!
PLEASE BFGs give us the old GM back. It worked just fine. What's the point of buying CEs from you, if we can't D/L them let alone play them. I've got two bang up to date PCs. One XP 32-bit and one W7 64-bit. Can't use XP GM at all, no games will open AND it's lost all the saved game positions! W7 one ok with trial but can't D/L full version.

Edited to say I may have found a possible solution. If you play til your trial time runs out (mine says there is 12 minutes left - but there isn't), then instead of clicking 'buy' as you've already bought it, click on reactivate game.
Not certain this will work, but worth a try. Otherwise we are all stuffed til a fix is found for the D/L problem with this game!

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 3:42:12 AM PST

WPat651044
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by WPat651044 on Aug 4, 11 3:54 AM
Good Morning,

I am trying to download "The Bride Collector's Edition" . I am wondering if anyone is experiencing slow downloads? It is taking hours to even get the trial version.
Usually they download quick enough, but not this time.

Thanks,
Wanda

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 4, 11 4:04 AM
Scrub that....it only reached 40%. BFG Manager stopped responding, so had to go to task manager. When the D/L stops, it takes an age to uninstall this game. It either goes on unistalling for 10 minutes or freezes completely!

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Aug 4, 11 4:29 AM
belamba wrote:I've even tried using the non default download in options but still won't work.
What is going on? Is it the GM? BFGs servers? Or has the game a major bug? Whatever it is, it isn't my computers that's for sure!
PLEASE BFGs give us the old GM back. It worked just fine. What's the point of buying CEs from you, if we can't D/L them let alone play them. I've got two bang up to date PCs. One XP 32-bit and one W7 64-bit. Can't use XP GM at all, no games will open AND it's lost all the saved game positions! W7 one ok with trial but can't D/L full version.

Edited to say I may have found a possible solution. If you play til your trial time runs out (mine says there is 12 minutes left - but there isn't), then instead of clicking 'buy' as you've already bought it, click on reactivate game.
Not certain this will work, but worth a try. Otherwise we are all stuffed til a fix is found for the D/L problem with this game!

I usually use the "Already purchased" feature to activate/download the purchased/full version and did so for this game, but I have experienced no improvement in the general download position (for the new GM) as described in my earlier post.

I have stopped and re-started the download several times now, with GM time-outs also occurring, which gets me a few additional % before it freezes again. At this rate, I might, eventually, get the whole thing; however, this situation is most frustrating and quite unacceptable.

Best regards,
aT

[Post New]by lizkate on Aug 4, 11 4:34 AM
tried to download demo several times-stays on 'downloading 1%' for a long time then stops...
must be a trial to see how much patience fishies have...
sadly-I failed the patience test.

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Aug 4, 11 4:36 AM
playfulruth wrote:Download of the full version is INCREDIBLY slow - if it goes on like this it will take several hours (which means I'll have to stop it cause I don't have that much time). Probably a matter of this stupid new game manager that was forced on me. I used to be such a happy customer - and now I turn more and more into a very UNHAPPY customer.

PLEASE give the good old game manager back to me, it worked fine, downloads were fast and I was satisfied!!!!! [/quo

I am with you 100%, I've had more problems with game downloads since the new stub was forced onto me. Why can't they leave alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Aug 4, 11 4:40 AM
Well this is a record for me. Three and a half hours and only 66% on the full download.
If any one at BFG actually READS these complaints, will they PLEASE PLEASE get rid of this absolutely RUBBISHY game manager.
I appologise for shouting, but I am rapidly changing from a very satisfied customer (and a good one at that) to one who is seriously thinking of going elsewhere, all because of something that I don't want, didn't ask for, and was forced on me. I say again, I am NOT A HAPPY FISHIE!!

haggishead
Shark
Shark
13,780 Posts

[Post New]by haggishead on Aug 4, 11 4:55 AM
and I thought I had problems d/loading the game but after reading all your posts I think I got off pretty lightly.

took in all 1hr 30 mins to d/l and that was after having to pause it quite a few times as it kept sticking at various percentages.

I don't know if it is this version of game manager as I also experienced slow d/loading with the previous version and I have a powerful computer and fast broadband.

all in all it's getting pretty tedious d/loading games.

Kayen59
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Kayen59 on Aug 4, 11 5:10 AM
If people are having a hard time downloading BFG games, maybe they should look at their computer instead of BFG. Try getting rid of some stuff on your computer, I did and now I do not have any problem downloading from BFG. I just finished downloading this game and it only took a couple of minutes.

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Aug 4, 11 5:32 AM
Kayen59 wrote:If people are having a hard time downloading BFG games, maybe they should look at their computer instead of BFG. Try getting rid of some stuff on your computer, I did and now I do not have any problem downloading from BFG. I just finished downloading this game and it only took a couple of minutes.

From the variety of posts, which include several with varying download times with eventual success, I would assume that there are real problems with GM, and/or access to BF servers, etc (ie rather than they being imagined, one-offs, etc, or simply due to poor PC management).

As to Kayen59's suggestion, I would expect that some few fishies do have "clog" problems, but I would also assume that most of us will have reasonably up-to-date PCs with sufficient specs, and will be managing them in accordance with the plethora of advice that is "out there" for such undertakings.

Certainly, I do this, and keep myself up-to-date with developments in Windows and related problems by appropriate reading. In my case, I have an IT background, to the extent that I build and maintain my own PCs, so I have some experience with these various issues.

I can therefore state, with some reasonable confidence, that, whatever individual experiences some of us are having, there are genuine problems with the latest GM, the production quality of games (especially recent ones), and with BF's general (lack of useful ... [?]) responses to our reviews, comments and complaints about said issues (I mean, with the many problem games and also over time, not just when they are asleep in Seattle).

Best regards,
aT

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 4, 11 5:33 AM
Kayen59 wrote:If people are having a hard time downloading BFG games, maybe they should look at their computer instead of BFG. Try getting rid of some stuff on your computer, I did and now I do not have any problem downloading from BFG. I just finished downloading this game and it only took a couple of minutes.

Uh, sweetheart, this isn't 1998.

Edited on 08/04/2011 at 5:34:39 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 4, 11 5:43 AM
Well, after 4 1/2 hrs it finally D/L and installed. I played the game ok, but when I wanted to quit it froze so had to use task manager. Not sure what it will do when I try to play it again later :-((

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 4, 11 5:43 AM
DL was fine. About 10 min. for the hole game.

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Aug 4, 11 5:53 AM
Well, this is becoming very annoying.

After all of the events stated in my previous posts in this discussion, I eventually got to 100% download. Installation and activation elicited error code 203600, which is not listed in the help.

Having already undertaken all of the advice that BF offers for download and activation problems, I decided to again uninstall/re-install the (latest) GM again (third time, as I recall), and this time the game has activated.

What I actually did, this time, was to uninstall the GM and re-install the game from my BF purchase history page, which then caused the download/re-installation of the GM and, for some reason, the immediate activation of the (apparently already installed) game, which now does appear to run (although with the same performance problems as I originally posted).

We will see what happens now.

Best regards,
aT

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Aug 4, 11 6:03 AM
Download did take awhile had to keep pressing pause but when it was done I have had no problems Now I have heard through some post that if you have XP you won't be able to play games with the new GM well I have XP and a dell 10 year old computer and knock on wood I have had no big problems I think maybe Kayen59 was trying to say was if your havng problems try to clean out temp files,cookies and other things that can be making your computer run slow and I think that " Kayen59 knows its not 1998" I know alot of people are frusturated but please don't be rude to each other everyone has there own experience with these games our comments whether it be about the game or advice don't needed to be responded in a snippy way

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Aug 4, 11 6:24 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Suggest you hit the green envelope and contact BF's wonderful customer service people. They aren't really busy right now, and they will tell you what you need to do to fix your system so you can play the game.

ROTFLMAO!

Go to: