cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 14, 11 8:14 AM
I started off being very excited when I saw that the next HE was actually here and I bought it sight unseen and it downloaded quite quickly ie 30 minutes as opposed to the trial of Redemption Cemetary which was of a similar Mb length but which took 3 hours.

I then went to being a bit perturbed when I clicked on the settings and it said that my screen resolution (1024 x 768) would not accept the fullscreen setting and yet it fills my monitor so I don't know why it said that . The other thing about the settings that I was a bit unhappy to see was that the Expert Mode setting didn't allow you to turn the sparkles off completely instead you only have 15 seconds before the first glint appears and by 30 seconds you are in full sparkle mode .

Anyway I started playing and came across the first hidden object scene and I must confess that I struggled with this scene as I found it a bit on the dark side and had to use a magnifying glass and lean close to the screen to see some of the objects and even then I had to use a hint. I, personally, found the 'pinging' sound made when you clicked on a correct object irritating and had to turn my sound off completely to get rid of it and by the end of that scene I had muted the music as well.

Well I have to admit that I am now having a ball and I went from being after the end of that first H0 scene to to to to being in with the game and it is all due to the puzzles . They are fantastic and I love the 'layers' in them so that one second you think you have cracked it and then the next part of the puzzle pops up .

I lost myself in the enjoyment of solving these and it made me forget my physical pain temporarily until I tried to move my back and arm so be warned they are definitely addictive and make you eager to see what the next one is going to be .

Happy gaming everyone .

Cherb

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 14, 11 8:25 AM
I really liked the previous Hidden Expedition games, and this one is also good, better then Devils Triangle. The hogscenes are a little bit dark and the items are a little bit tiny, but I like the storyline, the gameplay and the game itself. Its a buy for me - as the CE

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Aug 14, 11 8:32 AM
Happy to see the new HE out; however, after demoing I'm gonna pass on the CE for a couple of reasons. First, (and the primary reason) is that expert mode only delays the sparkles - it doesn't eliminate them. Second, the demo version didn't include any part of the strategy guide for review. (This wasn't a show stopper for me, but it just seemed rather cheesy).

The graphics are outstanding and there is a widescreen option (hooray!). A performance option is also provided for those with older machines or operatiing systems if you notice performance suffering. Custom cursor is also an option. The soundtrack is excellent and enchances the game and atmosphere. The overall look of the game is dark and many of the objects to find are on the small side, but not so tiny they can't be found.

The game looks to be a winner and I have no doubt that it's gonna be an overall hit.

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Aug 14, 11 8:51 AM
Fantastic game--I beta tested this one and couldn't wait for its release (the box bit alone is worth it)! Best developer on the circuit in my opinion.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Aug 14, 11 9:08 AM
Sparkles in advanced mode??? Why devs.? If I want challenge, I don't need sparkles to show me where to click! I only buy if they fix this.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 14, 11 9:17 AM
It is a nice game. No walkthrough is a bummer. Still can't figure out why those who have finished the game don't do a walkthrough. I'll take the walkthrough to the strategy guide any day.

Why do games like this have to be CE's? Some of us fishies can't buy games as money is limited. Oh well guess I can do without ,cause I want to find the remaining letter for Corn Dog's pad.

Note to self. Have a small lamp on. Last game a neighbor scared the heebie jeebies out of me. I play with the lights off; even for the scary ones.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 14, 11 9:18 AM
Really really like this game. Very well done. Loved the box on the hill puzzle. Hope the rest of the puzzles are equally as good. The graphics are very nice and the game is alot of fun so far. If I'm having fun playing I know its good. LOL.

Edited on 08/14/2011 at 12:23:50 PM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Aug 14, 11 9:32 AM
hard puzzles n easy mode...love how they have segued from all the Hidden games...gla

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Aug 14, 11 10:09 AM
I just finished the trial period and headed over to buy immediately. Generally, I like to wait for the SE, but I'm having too much fun with this game. The puzzles (so far) are not brain twisters, but do take some thought. I love the variety of H0 scenes. The ones I experienced in the trial involved finding things your mother would forbid, finding related pairs and a layered, interactive H0 scene that is genius!

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 14, 11 10:40 AM
sinshack wrote:OMG, it's HERE!!! It's HERE!!!!

One of my favorite things in the beta was a box on the cliff - you'll know what I mean when you get that far.

sinshack, I agree; the box on the cliff was very unigue as HOG scenes go. Took a lot of logicstical thinking to get through it!
Overall, I'm really enjoying the game although I did reach a point where I didn't know what to do next and until I read it here, I didn't realise there was a guide or where it was. Thanks to whomever pointed it out!
I've purchased my quota of CEs for the month but this is a definite buy when it comes out as an SE. Nice job, studios!
As an aside, the "top secret" sale is a loss this weekend as the last 2 non-CE hog games that were released were pretty lame.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Aug 14, 11 10:43 AM
I am glad to see CasualGran is reviewing games again. Her comments are always welcome. I think I will wait for the SE version for a buy.

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Aug 14, 11 10:46 AM
Was holding on to my last two credits to perhaps get Bali Quest (which never showed up) But this is just tooo much fun!!!!
I was a bit worried about the expert sparkles, but really when they first show up they aren't much different from the atmosphere. I am glad they put a time on them before they show though, gives me time to figure stuff out!
The puzzles are amazing! I just had to surrender my credits to this one! Thank you BF for letting us use our credits for CE's!!!
Hope it is a long one!
Beautiful and way too much fun! Definite buy!!!!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 14, 11 11:01 AM
Oh, I am so excited to see this game is finally here!!! I tried for about 10 minutes and bought. I love the HE series and this one doesn't disappoint. The graphics are crisp and clear, the music is OK, and it has the same humor as the last one. It is a great way to start the week. Thank you BFG and to all, happy gaming!!!

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Aug 14, 11 11:16 AM
I don't like the fact that I only get the strategy guide after purchasing, it's a rip off, I usually check that out to see how the long the game is and frankly if I get stuck in the demo, i'll use the guide so that I can get the most of the hour demo, I buy most CE but I'm not sure about this one. gettinng a little tired of dark games

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 14, 11 11:30 AM
The length seems to be long. After playing almost 4 hours in expert mode (NO strategy guide, no hints, no skips), I just finished chapter 2 (only looked at the index of guide to see there are 4 chapters). The 1st chapter has a tricky puzzle that took me quite some time, 2nd chapter is shorter than first.

I really like this game so far! The hidden object scenes are a little harder than normal, I especially like the "clear the box" HOscenes (you'll know what I mean if you've played the demo). The puzzles are interesting and different than norm.

Graphics are great and the cutscenes very good. There is no voiceacting except a little narration but I don't mind.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Aug 14, 11 11:41 AM
nyc240 wrote:Fantastic game--I beta tested this one and couldn't wait for its release (the box bit alone is worth it)! Best developer on the circuit in my opinion.

Beautiful graphics, and puzzles terrific. The box is definitely mind boggling. No black bars on my wide screen for those that really get upset with those. As usual, well worth the money....

quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by quaifen on Aug 14, 11 12:53 PM
I like the game but I could not get very far into the game, without the SG, do this game even have one check the menue but no SG insight. I need to get further into a collectors game before I purchase it, this is the first time that I could not finish a demo.

quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by quaifen on Aug 14, 11 1:05 PM
quaifen wrote:I like the game but I could not get very far into the game, without the SG, do this game even have one check the menu but no SG insight. I need to get further into a collectors game before I purchase it, this is the first time that I could not finish a demo.

quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by quaifen on Aug 14, 11 1:06 PM
quaifen wrote:I like the game but I could not get very far into the game, without the SG, do this game even have one check the menu but no SG insight. I need to get further into a collectors game before I purchase it, this is the first time that I could not finish a demo.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Aug 14, 11 1:10 PM
What a great demo which seemed to appear from no where.Really enjoying the demo
brilliant graphics,story,characters and inventive puzzles within the actual HOG scenes.
Glad i didnt buy Redemtion Cementry from ERS Games as their games are starting to become rather samey.Im now going to buy this instead and hope of the game keeps up the same standard as demo..

Go to: