Re:Reviews for The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 22, 11 7:45 AM
I just tried this and found it a bit irritating. I don't like the zoom to a different part of the screen or scrolling. The items in the first scene in the cave were very hard to spot and the hint is very slow recharging. I didn't make it to the first minigame. I added it to my wait for DD list but don't know if I'd even spend 2.99 on it.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 23, 11 11:06 PM
I enjoyed this second installment in the series much better than the first. It does have the same zooming in and scrolling in a few scenes, but it isn't as bad as the first game....and I am someone who does get nauseous from moving screens. The storyline is a continuation of the first in the series, but for some reason I felt it flowed better in this installment.

The graphics are gorgeous and it is so refreshing to have a good game without vampires, blood, gory, weirdness, etc. I played on the expert mode and just got to the end of the first chapter so this looks to me like a nice long game. Some of the hidden objects were a little small, but I thought they were much easier to find in this installment. If you are a fan of steampunk and/or enjoy Jules Verne-type storylines, you will probably enjoy this game. It at least deserves a download trial. Definite purchase for me. Thanks BF!

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 1:17:51 PM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 4, 11 1:09 PM
As I personally don’t like junk pile graphics and constant hidden object searches, I cannot recommend “The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World”. I bored with it before the trial was over. But if you love Hidden Object games, you’ll most likely enjoy this one.

A brief overview of “The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World” game characteristics:
* Aside from the min-game/puzzles, the various location scenes are all cluttered with objects and have a “hidden object” feel to them, even when there is not a list of items one must find.
* The game offers in-game “hints”, however, gamer beware, these “hints” actually tell you exactly what to do and where the needed item is.
* There is a map that allows you to travel from one location to another. There is an “Object Locator” to help with the tiny, blurry hidden objects.
* There is a “Goal List” to help you know which tasks you should be attempting, though not necessarily identifying the sub-tasks needed to complete the larger goals.
* There is a “Journal” of completed tasks and thoughts about the journey.

While I found the graphics in this game to be an eyestrain and did not find the overall game-play compelling, there are nonetheless many features that true Hidden Object Game devotees will enjoy.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 17, 11 6:38 PM
I am so confused at the terrible reception this game got here at BF. This is an amazing game. I am a retired draftsperson and the tasks are just down my ally. The graphics are top notch. I agree the H.O. scenes are tough, but no tougher than many other junk pile games. I also liked moving around to find items from the list in other locations, so out of the box for me. The hints are somewhat slower, but then this is not a game to be rushed through and I have played many games where I got tired of waiting for hints to recharge. The difference is that I didn't have to sit and stare at on screen, one scene just waiting for the hint. There were other places to go and other things to learn and think about while I was waiting. Before long the hint was charged and I could use it if I was still stuck. I spent just under a ½ hour playing and got the steam engine going and was ready to check out the parent's house and believe me when I tell you that I am one of the slower players.

I love the added challenge of going to other sites to work on the first one. Having the pump handle break and being kicked right into a completely other solution was so out of formula. It excited me that I didn't have to tread along to fix the broken pump, to pump the water at the proper place after all. I hear the complaint all the time of no originality. To me this is already more fun than I've had in ages. No skip?! Oh no!! Well it practically walks you through the tasks and as a previous poster said there is a walkthrough. We use them all the time, we even pay twice the price just to get one in the game. Not too long ago there were many games without skips. The only difference was that the answers were often random even with a walkthrough and if you couldn't do it, you couldn't finish at all. These puzzles are all doable. Logic based and sensible puzzles. I played the first installment of this game on another site and enjoyed it but it was a play all you want but not get to keep the game thing. I'm sure most of you know which one. I would love for BF to get it also but with the reception this second one got, I don't see that happening, or even a chance at getting the next one. There were many very different and interesting games on that site that many BF regulars rated badly and I could never understand why, when people often say they are tired of the same themes, the same stories, bla bla, bla.

(cont)

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 17, 11 6:39 PM
This game is different, I think quite wonderful and I wish more of you could give it at least a shot. I'm hoping that when it does go DD more of you will and will find what I see in it.

The reason I am just demoing this game is that I have been ill. I am climbing back up now and am ready for the challenge this game will give me and hours of fun also. I have been coasting on same ol' same ol' while my brain has been healing. I might wait for a DD, as this game seems to have done so bad here it probably won't take long and I am on a very limited budget right now. But, then again, I might not want to wait. I really need a break from some of the same old drivel. Good job devs.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 9:01:31 PM PST

Gussie3319
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Gussie3319 on Sep 23, 11 7:47 AM
KathyGriggs wrote:
LuvDemGames wrote:Maybe it's me, but I couldn't find most of the objects in the first H0 scene, very frustrating. Played 39 minutes and dumped it. Just nothing to make me want to continue to play. Maybe it gets better but I will never know. No buy here.

I completely agree!!!

I do too - I trashed this poor game after the first 20 minutes. I'm fairly good at HOGs but this one's a tosser, in my opinion. Most of the ****'s were poorly drawn and absolutely impossible to locate without hints. Life's too short. for such cheats.

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Sep 25, 11 6:01 PM
I've just finished playing the game. I'm on an iMac and everything worked perfectly no errors or problems.
I did enjoy it ... a pleasant story without witches, ghouls and the walking dead. I found the **** scenes very challenging ... the objects are hidden very well ... there is a help function but it only shows the outline and orientation of the object. Some of the **** scenes were scrolling either L to R or Up and Down. This added a new dimension to the **** scenes - an object could be hidden behind something in the foreground and was only visible at a certain point in the scrolling. You just had to plod through everything .. there was no easy way out.

The puzzles were varied and some proved very challenging - the diary played a huge part in solving some puzzles as that's the only place where some clues were given.

In my opinion a very good game for those of us who enjoy a challenge.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 2, 11 5:46 PM
Clockwork Man 2: The Hidden World (Adventure-IHOG)
Review from 10/17/10

The game is set in a fanciful Victorian-era, steam-powered world. Amazing machines from the artists' imaginations have been brought to life in complex and beautiful detail. The artwork is colorful and rich, featuring hand-painted items and scenes to take your breath away.

The Game Guide:

I purchased the Ultimate Edition of this game from the developer, which includes the best Game Guide I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. The layout, the content, the ease of access... everything about it made me absolutely thrilled that I had bought the Ultimate Edition - and I hadn't even looked at the game yet! The game guide is not integrated into the game, but I don't see how it could have been - it is not just your straightforward walkthrough, it is a very detailed guide with easy navigation and a LOT of content. The walkthrough is just the beginning, there is also concept art (fascinating), wallpapers, maps, extra story, background on characters, and my favorite - the full soundtrack for the game. The music can be easily accessed and played within the guide, and the whole of it can be saved onto your hard drive with a single click. The guide even includes video walkthroughs of tough areas in case you need the extra help.

The Game:

You can access not only the usual player, options, etc. on the main page, but also Cut-scenes and Credits. I absolutely love having the ability to really view these things any time I wish (although you have to unlock the cut-scenes).

Options include FOUR slider bars for sound: Music, Sound, Ambience and Voice Volume. There is an option for Full-screen/Windows and you can toggle the Tutorial on and off from the options menu, as well.

The game itself starts with a dramatic stillness, using only voice and text. This progresses to a cut-scene (still voiced) and back again. All of this is skippable (though you can't click through it - watch it or skip it), but you will be missing out on a rich and immersive story if you just skip through them. The voice acting is compelling and the characters diverse. Some made me actually laugh out loud, whilst others made me scowl with irritation. It takes a well-told story to evoke such emotions, and this game definitely has a good one.

I haven't even gotten to gameplay yet, have I? Ahh, there is just so much to see! (continued...)

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 5:49:41 PM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 2, 11 5:48 PM
(...continued)

This is not your usual hidden object game. This is a hidden object game with depth. I'm not just talking figuratively, but literally as well. This game incorporates multiple layers with scrolling scenes to create the illusion of actually moving about in the scenes, not just viewing them. Not only are there scrolling scenes, but ZOOM-able scenes, as well, adding even more depth. Scrolling and zooming are explained within the game, making these aspects of the game intuitive and easy to get the hang of. Not all scenes scroll/zoom, and the game will let you know when you have a "static" (non-moving) scene.

HINTS are given to you by Sprocket, your cute robot companion. As you progress through the game, Sprocket will gain upgrades, which will allow you new kinds of hints. Each kind of hint has it's own refillable meter, so if you use the Advanced Object Locator, you can still use the Hint button (for the adventure portion of the game) without having to wait (assuming that both gadgets are fully filled when you try.)

Your inventory is kept in an auto-hiding bar at the top of the screen, while the find-the-items list auto-hides at the bottom. Changing locations is done via map. Sometimes you just don't know what to do smiley22, but that is what your task list is for. You also have an extensive journal to add even more story to the game. If all else fails, there is always the Game Guide!

There is no mis-click penalty.

Have I mentioned the artwork? And the soundtrack? In my opinion they are equally beautiful, dramatic, compelling and appropriate to what the creators are trying to accomplish - Rife with color, beauty and intrigue, the music and artwork twine together along with the voice acting and storyline to create a truly immersive world.

It is evident that the developers lovingly crafted this game, adding innovative game design and inventive hints to a stellar art team, great voice-actors, talented musicians and a compelling story. Absolute thumbs up for this game.

October, 2011 addition

I was just revisiting this game and am once again astounded by the exquisite and rich artwork, not to mention the music. Absolutely gorgeous. Once again I give this game my heartiest thumbs up

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Nov 6, 11 12:39 PM
it does look beautiful and is carefully made and I can understand why it is so popular

although some of the hidden objects are very small

but for me, having played Syberia...this is just a kid's game

Syberia totally immerses you in a completely believable otherworld and the train sequences and the robot are in a different league.
(Syberia is not a HOG though but an adventure game)

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Nov 14, 11 10:51 PM
I enjoyed the game but a few things annoyed me...Firstly, if it's 1891, why is Miranda running around in her pantaloons...Silly Devs...I didn't mind the scroll but the conversations were wayyyy to tedious.

Overall though I enjoyed the demo and just reached Chapter 2. I will consider buying...

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 17, 12 7:20 PM
Hmmmmm. Interesting game, not like the rest I have played. Despite its funky appearance, the game is a real challenge. Hints, etc refresh very slowly and they aren't much help when they do. No Skip for the mini games as far as I can see unless I missing some really small icon somewhere. That is really frustrating for someone like me that isn't really into mini games. Objects in the HOGs can be hard to find especially since you pan over several areas to find them. Can be frustrating with a slow hint button. No click penalty, (it tells you that right at the start). Story interesting but somewhat elusive. And of course, who believes some girl from the 1800 dresses like a bar fly...give me a break. She would have been run out of town. LOL

Well, I'm still not through with the game, but have to stop...it tends to wear you out. Will try again tomorrow. Worth the money, but be prepared for a challenge.

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Jan 20, 12 2:43 PM
I saw this game in a store, but knew I could check BF.
I started to try it out and I did not like it; As other people said, I found it annoying.
I got through about 30 minutes and deleted.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Apr 5, 12 9:38 AM
This was a fascinating, well-constructed game with beautiful graphics, music, & voiceovers. The puzzles were somewhat difficult and did not have a skip button. I liked the pace of the game , about 5 hours in length. It is a story of good and evil, but completely different from the typical hidden object stories. It has several nice features,including 3 different type of hint buttons, map, & journal. I liked the pictures of the people who developed the game and their various functions. I didn't realize how many people are involved in the development of a single game. Thanks for an enjoyable experience.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 18, 13 12:06 AM
If you can't skip the puzzles, I won't buy it, no matter any positives to the game. I'd really hate to spend money on a game I can't finish because I'm unable to solve a puzzle.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Mar 4, 14 3:31 AM
Discovered this game while looking for another game with a red and gold robot and decided to buy it since I had a coupon. I haven't finished playing this game yet, but decided to visit the forum and review the comments. I don't play with sound, but the graphics are beautiful. I finally got use to the scrolling, and my old eyes could not find some of the HOs, but for some reason, I found all of the acorns. How ya like them apples! I have not had a problem with the puzzles yet, and like challenging puzzles, but hope I don't run into one I can't play since there is no skipping because I too would have to quit the game.

Ordinarily I only like CEs, but based on the comments, I intend to try some of this series. I am still not sure I like this type of game, especially since I can barely see the tools I collect. I spent a day and a half, even with the walkthrough, trying to find the crowbar, which it turned out I already had in my inventory box. I just could not see it because it was just a tiny blur which blended in with the background of the toolbox, and I have a 23" monitor. The inventory box was the only issue that gave me a difficult time. Once I figured it out, I had to continually run my cursor over the toolbox to see what I had. I had to take breaks from the game. This game is different!!!

Edited on 03/04/2014 at 3:32:35 AM PST

Go to: