shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 18, 11 4:26 AM
equusjoy wrote:I went back and played the first one again to see what it was about. It was sort of disappointing because we really never learned anything about what was going on. Now the wife is in a mental hospital? Well, maybe I would be too since I don't know what happened or why. I just played about 15 minutes to see that it is a lot like the first one, so I will try again after I get some sleep to see how I feel about it.
Happy gaming everyone!
Joy

What?? The story made perfect sense in the first game IMO. (First Game Spoiler): Angel was the baddie in the first game, she stabbed the guy to death which is why he fell off of the boat! This in turn got her shanghaied by the Zombies and then he saved her - so she knows perfectly well what happened! LOL I haven't started this game yet, but the first game was really great!! I mean, you have to suspend belief, like you do in most of these games. Unless of course you really believe in Zombies. LOL I am really looking forward to this game and will be back with a review later.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Aug 18, 11 5:13 AM
jkuci wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Just from the screenshots I know I won't like it. It looks like it's one notch above urban decay. When I play an IHOG I don't want Detroit, m'kay? Something more like Empress or Drawn impresses me. Pass.

Whoa! A little rough on Detroit....

...The truth hurts sometimes.

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on Aug 18, 11 5:17 AM
Thank you shadowfax!! Now that I remember the plot I'll have an easier time evaluating this one.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 18, 11 5:32 AM
Warning: light spoiler in the first paragraph!

Yep, the same non-sensical story in this one as in the first game. I don't particularly like that, as I didn't in first. I mean... lobotomy??? Even if you've played the first installment it's difficult, IMO, to 'understand' such a threatening from a supposed doctor trying to help a carcrash victim. Really weird.

Furthermore it looks like a game I'lld maybe consider to buy as an SE. It's not up to CE standards in my eyes. And even in expert mode there are sparkles indicating a H0 scene. Bummer. I also think they should have provided the SG in the trial. There's not even a part accessible. Another minus.

Clear enough graphics though and the clutter you have to search through is not too bad. Seems a rather easy game all in all. I didn't have to skip the puzzles, but others might find the skip-button, as soon as it's filled, usefull.

I'm on the fence with this one. Probably won't buy it, but it depends. Could be that other games in the coming days are worse and not even considerable at all. We'll see.

CasualGran

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 5:38:37 AM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Aug 18, 11 5:48 AM
Carole22759 wrote:
jkuci wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Just from the screenshots I know I won't like it. It looks like it's one notch above urban decay. When I play an IHOG I don't want Detroit, m'kay? Something more like Empress or Drawn impresses me. Pass.

Actually, considering that there is a plan being seriously put forth to just bulldoze whole blocks of Detroit, I think "one notch above urban decay" is, if anything, kind.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 18, 11 6:29 AM
I played 15 minutes of this game and I can honestly say, I don't get the storyline. The graphics are nice and clear, the music is so so and the game play is easy, even in the hard mode. I will wait for the SE, and in the meantime, I will read more reviews as they come in. Thank you to all who write them as I am not a very good reviewer. Happy gaming and enjoy!

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Aug 18, 11 6:47 AM
I played the full demo because the first game was good IMO. I was happy to see this one come out today and was prepared to just hit buy but something made me hit try first. So glad that I did. Nice graphics but not so nice music, it's kinda boring. I find the game too easy and It's just not up to CE standards for me.

Without being able to access the strategy guide to see how many chapters there are or try to figure out how long the game is, I'll pass on the CE and wait for the SE. Even though I prefer to play the CE's, something is nagging at me to wait with this one so I'm gonna trust my gut instinct....this time!

Edited to add that the GM tells me that I still have 20 mins left to play but the game didn't agree with me, telling me that my trial had finished. I'm not sure if that's any indication on how quick the game will go.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 8:04:50 AM PST

[Post New]by karen18670 on Aug 18, 11 7:04 AM
It's interesting and has a lot of adventure - not too many hidden objects. I really like this one. I bought the first one and liked that one too but I think this one may be better. The graphics are beautiful too.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 7:05:32 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Aug 18, 11 7:12 AM
This review is based on the sample version only. I played in expert mode, using no hints and skipped no puzzles and I finished with fifteen minutes left on the timer (and I wasn't rushing. I think it was due to all of the cut scenes and flashbacks - there are a lot of them.

Options include full screen, aspect ratio (which means wide screen owners will have a full screen with no distortion) and a custom cursor option. Player options include casual or expert mode. Casual mode includes sparkles for active objects, Expert mode doesn't, except for hidden object scenes. No part of the strategy guide is available for viewing.

The graphics are good, but like it's predecessor, the story line starts with a strange cut scene and develops slowly (along with other subplots), throughout the game via various newspaper clippings, diaries, flashbacks, etc. Those who enjoyed the first one are sure to like this one as well. Those who like a well developed story told in a coherent fashion may find it difficult to stay interested in this one.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Aug 18, 11 7:22 AM
Played 30 minutes of the demo. It was okay. I didn't care much for the first one. It just seemed to drag on and on and then the end confused me.

The graphics are great, I cannot rate the music since I had the sound down. The HOG scenes were very easy. A little too easy. I don't like them hard but I don't like them very easy either. It seemed to be like I was reading the word from the list and then look at the scene and click, there it is.

Since I did not use a hint I couldn't tell how long it takes to recharge. While playing one puzzle, I completed it when the skip recharge was only half way through charging, and it took me a little while to complete the puzzle (I am not a big puzzle fan). The skip seems to take a long time to charge. Planning on going back in the game to time it.

I will probably buy as a SE, more than likely using a game credit.

*Edited* Hmm, 4 minutes it took for the skip button to recharge. Wow. If I purchase the SE, I will probably look around online for a puzzle solution if I can't figure it out instead of waiting 4 minutes for a recharge.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 7:37:29 AM PST

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 18, 11 7:38 AM
VERY VERY short trial period. Maybe 35 to 40 min. of play . I saw no mention that it was a demo. I like it so far. I loved doing the cube game.

I know where I'd like to stick that needle Dr. Quack uses. I edited it because of

Gotta figure out how to break the skeleton's chains.Mmmmmm.

Only thing I hate is the fizzling noises and flashing. Not good for PC's.

I hope the price is reduced in about 2 weeks, then I'll buy it.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 7:53:09 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 18, 11 7:40 AM
crazy8club wrote:VERY VERY short trial period. maybe 35 to 40 min. of play . and I saw no mention thatit was a demo. I like it so far. I loved doing the cube game. I know where I'd like to stick that needle Dr. Quack uses. That's right. Right in his backside where the sun don't shine.

Too right! - how appropriate is that!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 18, 11 8:10 AM
I played part of the demo and I just can't stand HOGs anymore. I won't buy this one.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 18, 11 8:15 AM
luvpumpkns wrote:i beta-tested this one back in june and have been waiting for it to come out ever since. i really enjoyed playing this one.

Thanks for you post! I downloaded the sample version and thought "I've played this one before"! But, I do think now that I also did the beta test! Would love to get this game now, but not sure if the length justifies the cost.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 18, 11 8:49 AM
CasualGran wrote: I also think they should have provided the SG in the trial. There's not even a part accessible. Another minus.
megwoman25 wrote: *Lastly, you can't access the strategy guide at all until you purchase the game. Is this going to be a new thing? It was that way with Hidden Expedition too. I want to know what I am purchasing. Thanks.
Thanks for this info! That leads directly to the decision for me: No buy.
I'm not going to support that laziness of ANY developer.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 18, 11 9:04 AM
Another dark, depressing game. Good graphics but the music is canned and repetitive. Definitely not up to CE standards - but won't buy the SE anyway since I don't like the storyline (same old victimized female) and there was nothing that kept me engaged in the demo (it did seem too easy, even in expert mode, but that could change further into the game).

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Aug 18, 11 9:16 AM
Why do some even bother to leave a review if you havent played it? I read the reviews but not interested in someones negative comment who hasnt played the game.

This game is really enjoyable, fantastic scenes, and lots of things to do. For one I am grateful for these games, brings alot of pleasure to me and my family. I have no complaints.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 18, 11 9:18 AM
This is probably the most "Spartan" CE that BFG has ever released. Not that I care about wallpapers and screensavers, but haven't they been staples in most CEs? Apparently, not this one. And no access to the SG in the demo? That's taking a step back in time, IMHO, and will probably lose the developers (whom we're all familiar with) a bunch of sales.

Another "Asylum" game? I don't remember the first one, although my "Purchase History" says that I own it. That doesn't bode well with me for this one. The options menu is inexpensive, although there are two gameplay choices. I chose "Regular" (I usually do with a demo) and found tasks and H0 scenes to be far too easy. I don't suspect there'll be much use for the SG in the full version. Graphics are nice, music, not so much. Storyline is confusing from the get-go--girl is in a car accident--she winds up in an asylum (?) in the care (?) of a mad doctor who wants to perform a lobotomy because he's convinced she's hallucinating. Who knows? Nothing (so far) like the coherent plotlines in F.A.C.E.S. or Green Hills.

This might make a decent SE, but as a CE, it leaves a bit to be desired.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 18, 11 9:35 AM
calsmom2001 wrote:
Carole22759 wrote:
jkuci wrote:

Actually, considering that there is a plan being seriously put forth to just bulldoze whole blocks of Detroit, I think "one notch above urban decay" is, if anything, kind.

Okay-Enough with the references to Detroit (No, I am not from Detroit). Granted there are areas that need to be cleaned up but there are other cities that have problems too. This forum is for reviewing games, not political statements or slams (unless it concerns the game).

That being said, while I liked the game, I am waiting for the SE versions. First off, no SG to look at before purchase (again!) and I'm not sure it is even needed. Second no bells or whistles in it to make it all that special as a CE. Third, no map and with the back and forth between "worlds" or whatever you call it, it gets confusing as to where to go to use your found items (CRS gets longer and stronger). Yes there are two tabs in your journal for each but a map would really help and it would be quicker.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 18, 11 10:18 AM
I bought this game and am really loving it. The graphics are great, they're clear and sharp, and there is nothing blurry. There aren't too many H0 scenes and more interaction and adventure. The puzzles I've encountered so far were fun. I like the storyline, and I think this one is better than the last one.

Go to: