mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Review for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 20, 11 8:21 AM
I played the demo for 15 minutes and loved it and bought it with a coupon code. I love adventure games and this one is very cute and looks like alot of fun, albeit on the short side from what other fishies are saying. Guess ya can't have everything LOL.

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Aug 20, 11 8:59 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has submitted a detailed and thorough review. Your reviews are so, so helpful to me and I'm sure many others in deciding which games to try and buy. I unfortunately don't have time to download and try out games that I won't be buying, so I rely heavily on the reviews to see if a game is worth buying and playing. Thanks to all the positive reviews, I will buy this one with a coupon soon. After I've played it, I will post my thoughts on the game as well.

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Aug 20, 11 9:34 AM
Well although I did not find it hilarious I did find it light hearted & the puzzles were just hard enough to keep the game moving along!
It also is in the daylight which is a bonus, although I enjoy a lot of the IHOG's that are dark & mysterious it makes a nice change to have one in the daytime.
I must say I found grandma a little grumpy but I guess she has a town to save! LOL
The hour demo went past extremely quickly which is always a good indication that I will be buying the full game!
It's from me.
boots

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Aug 20, 11 9:50 AM
Not a buy for me. 'Got bored after 40 minutes.

kglen1
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by kglen1 on Aug 20, 11 11:06 AM
Just had to say as a former teacher for younger children that there is a classic story called Spirit Soup so I'd think that's maybe where the title for this one came from.

[Post New]by wendyherzik on Aug 20, 11 1:09 PM
someone please tell me how to get past the snake to get berries

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 20, 11 1:31 PM
Well. I've finished in about 3 1/2 hours. This has been a very enjoyable game with a pleasant atmosphere, crystalclear graphics, nice music and original puzzles. Absolutely worth buying. Wish more SE games like this would come out.

4 out of 5

CasualGran

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 20, 11 1:37 PM
wendyherzik wrote:someone please tell me how to get past the snake to get berries

SPOILER ALERT ... highlight to read

You have to purchase a "potion" from the shop on the left before your grandmother's stall.

[Post New]by wendyherzik on Aug 20, 11 1:48 PM
where do i get the coins???

[Post New]by wendyherzik on Aug 20, 11 1:49 PM
where do i get the coins???

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Aug 20, 11 2:27 PM
I was excited to demo this game after reading all the positive reviews and being a newbeee with adventure games was hoping this would get me into more of this genre.

At the end of the demo I was so lost lol. The help button keeps telling me "nothing to do here go somewhere else" lol lost lost lost.

If there was a walkthrough I would purchase this game immediately. I really want to learn and enjoy the adventure type games.

Great graphics and enjoying the storyline so far.

Will not be able to purchase I just dont know how to play this type of game.

Happy gaming to all the lucky fishies who know how to play adventure games.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Aug 20, 11 2:45 PM
Simple, light-hearted, enjoyable adventure game. No hidden object scenes, but lots of inventory items to collect which are all in plain sight. Has skip button for all puzzles plus has bonus puzzles of the same type that can be played from the main menu. The blurp says it is hilarious, but I found little humor.

Definitely a short story, not an epic. I completed it in about two hours and never even thought about checking for a walkthrough, which I usually need at some point for adventure games.

At the start of each "chapter" the map shows active locations, and those locations remain active on the map even after you've completed all the tasks at that location, but that's my only complaint. I was hooked the minute I saw the tree in the middle of the house and the bed design. I wouldn't nominate it for game of the year, but I had a good time playing it.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 20, 11 3:13 PM
I thought this game looked familar. I had the opportunity to beta this game nearly a year ago. There were so many problems with the game, I guess they went back to the drawing board.

I still see problems. The cursor is to large, if you chose not to use it, then you won't be able to use the magnifying glass.

I have rached a point where I can't seem to go on to any other scenes. Each time I ask for a hint, all I get is there is nothing to do here, go to another location. It tells me that at the 4 locations I have to work with.

I didn't like the game nearly a year ago, and I don't like it now.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Aug 20, 11 4:21 PM
A very, very good game - but also very short. Hopefully this developer will make more (and a bit longer).

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Aug 20, 11 4:39 PM
I like this game so much that I ran out of trial time (flew right by me) and was dissapointed. Will have to buy the game to finish playing. Lots of objectives (things to do before you can move on). I like variety and this is really cute. This game receives the People's Choice Review and a .

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Aug 20, 11 4:48 PM
I love adventure games, but IMHO this was dull in the extreme. Poorly executed, alas. I only lasted about 20 minutes before quitting and deleting.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Aug 20, 11 6:47 PM
Delightful game. Change of play style from a HOG was refreshing. Bought it instantly and am sad that it's finished. Excellent puzzles, with bonus games at the end.

Hope there is a sequel .

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Aug 20, 11 8:28 PM
Leemo wrote:Delightful game. Change of play style from a HOG was refreshing. Bought it instantly and am sad that it's finished. Excellent puzzles, with bonus games at the end.

Hope there is a sequel .

I totally agree! At the beginning of the demo, I wasn't that pleased. It felt a bit like an escape the room game, but the further I played during my free hour, the more intrigued I became, and I started to realize that this is a very unique game! When my demo ended at the pipe puzzle, I just had to buy and I'm glad I did.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Aug 20, 11 9:32 PM
Charming! Art work is simple however superb. I enjoyed the hunt.

The game as other reviewers noted is not quite the usual hidden object game in that one must go on what I call a sort of Easter egg hunt where instead of eggs you are searching for objects and places of action that require an object. While on your adventure of seek and find and use objects found you encounter characters. These characters will help you along the way.

The story in the Journal is worth the read. The characters in the various scenes are not to me where the humor that many Fishies have alluded to it is the entries in the Journal.

Puzzles for the most part where challenging to me. At least one Fishie thought the game was "ridiculously" easy. It was not for me -- what brain cells I have left, I used them all -- well, I might have some spares.

This game was nothing like say the adventure Dracula Origin. That game drove me crazy and I have yet to complete it although I will continue to try. While some refer to Spirit Soup as an Adventure game, I just choose to think of it simply as a different take on hidden object seek-find-use game,

If you choose to play, stick with it, I found it to be entertaining and hope you do as well. It is worth a good days play.

Thanks Big Fish!

[Post New]by desertsombra on Aug 21, 11 12:49 AM
You need to get snake repellent from the man selling mysterious articles, next to grandma

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 12:50:48 AM PST

Go to: