Quickie
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Quickie on Aug 21, 11 5:02 AM
I hate pipes. I hate pipes. I hate pipes. That said, I'll just skip them as I usually do.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 21, 11 5:05 AM
For the first time I am sorry that I bought this game as a CE. The first hour I found it a nice game. But after a few hours of playing I found it boring.

So, it's my fault. I couldn't wait!

harkonnen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by harkonnen on Aug 21, 11 5:36 AM
I like a lot of H0 scenes in my games and this one has quite a lot so far (played for 50mins before the demo ended).

Beautiful graphics - I loved both the HOG and FROG scenes.

The minigames were ok. They have a skip button which becomes available after a short delay - I used it to skip the gate puzzle (one of those sliding picture games where you rearrange the pieces). I loved the pipes minigame and hated the simon type game but it was easy enough to do.

It also has very inoffensive misclick penalty but you need to do a serious amount of rapid misclicking for it to kick in - the pointer just goes limp and hangs for a few seconds.

This game is by Specialbit who also developed Island: the Lost Medallion (another largely straight HOG).

I don't buy CEs on principle so will be waiting patiently for the SE.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 21, 11 5:36 AM
I'm sorry, I love the pipes and slider puzzles!! I don't know why but to me they are easy and enjoyable. Other puzzles are not and there are so many I can't name them here!! Those I skip somtimes too unless I want to spend frustrating minutes to much longer finishing them.

We all have our likes and dislikes which is what makes these games so much fun. God Bless BFG. Without it, I would have no fun at all!

Gamesetter_
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Gamesetter_ on Aug 21, 11 5:46 AM
Graphic are nothing special but not bad.

A lot of running as they surprise you with ****-scenes at places your cleared "long" ago and let you going back and forth for one object.
Also you will sometimes have to have click things before ****-scenes for needed objects appear (of course at completely different spot).

Puzzles are low niveau, nothing challenging and only a very few.

No story plot at the beginning and not much of a story which is involving by playing.

No way to choose "no sparkling".

I don't know exactly how long it is, but according to the knowlegde that BFG guides and walkthrough always pretend double length of what a game really is, I would take a good guess: Played 1,5 hours and will have the same time to finish.

So just another CE that is an average ****-game with limited adventure parts. Surely worth playing for the normal prize but far away from what a CE should be (ok, 99% of all CE's are far away from being worth the prize so that might not be a criterion).

Edit: Without skipping any puzzles and using the guide 1x: 2:49 (main game - did not play the bonus yet).

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 7:48:04 AM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Aug 21, 11 5:54 AM
Thanks for all the great reviews today from everyone. Because of that I bought without trying, saves a lot of time try, download, buy download etc. This is really a beautiful and enjoyable game. Nice gameplay, smooth transition from scene to scene. Distinguishable items in the junkpiles, nice background music and YES stretchable screen. I havent had to use the SG yet, guess im getting better at this. Thanks to the developers of this game, alot of thought and effort was put into it and its much appreciated. Thanks to Big Fish for a nice Sunday Game.

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Aug 21, 11 6:14 AM
Wine, Vine. Could they have meant "Vino"? But spelled it wrong?

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 21, 11 7:49 AM
What I liked about this game :

Crisp graphics and soft music
Nice blend of HOG scenes and FROG scenes
Objects easy to find in the HOG scenes
Puzzles not too easy but not too hard (at least the ones I played)

What I didn't like :
Follow the sound puzzle that was hard to see the colors light up
Achievement awards (Orb for cleaning up the room that is part of the game play is NOT an achievement IMHO)
Slow loading into scenes-especially ones already visited
No voice overs (takes away from making it a CE game)

While I enjoyed the fact that it was a change of pace from the really dark HOG games I have been playing, it was rather simplistic for a CE game. I will wait for the SE version to come out to purchase it. I prefer more of being able to wander around more and finding objects all over the place and trying to figure out where they go as opposed to only finding a few and almost knowing where they go. I do like having a map but with this game I doubt it is needed. I hate achievement awards and try to ignore them in my game play. I feel they are unnecessary and have no value in the HOG game genre, but that is my own personal opinion. I do like however the extra collectibles to find during a game (I know go figure ).

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 7:50:53 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 21, 11 8:06 AM
I thought this game was all mixed up like a dog's breakfast. Yes, it's beautifully done, but what exactly IS it? It's a HOG, it's a frog, it's a bit of an adventure game, there are puzzles for kids, there are puzzles that are too easy for adults but too hard for kids and vice versa. Not a buy for me, maybe as SE.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 21, 11 9:18 AM
The game itself was a little different. A little bit of everything rolled into one. I didn't care myself for the graphics. They were too "cartoonish" in places and hard to make out. It seems like I was getting nowhere, going back and forth to too many ****'s . This game just didn't seem to "grab" me I guess like others. I see others really liked it, but to each it's own, I guess. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Aug 21, 11 10:06 AM
Someone help I am at a point in the game where you get into Lilys room I have what I need to get into I I grab it out of inventory click on the door with it and the door opens but i cant go in the room I cant go anywhere Is anyone else have this problem

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Aug 21, 11 10:12 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Stunning IHOG, Fracture HOG with Adventure movements. One of the best games recently posted.

Crisp graphics, very helpful hint system, which can be used also for quick walkthrough when you are stuck.

I wouldn't buy it, because the SG is external, and doesn't leave you in the place you played. But the hint system saves the uncomfortable SG. Developers - we like the SG integral, see ERS SGs...

It's a positive buy.

When are the developers going to realize that putting in a strategy guide is to make things a little easier to work with the game? Thats why we are paying extra!

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Aug 21, 11 10:26 AM
Good timing for me with this game! I had just finished my last one yesterday, and needed a new one. Also, I think I broke my little toe- I can hardly walk without MUCH pain, so I'll be doing a lot of sitting today. I love these fairy tale type games! The graphics are simply beautiful, and it is a pleasant change from the dark and eerie ones of late ( tho I love those too). I agree with the SG not saving where you are in the game- it's annoying- I just remember what page I'm on last and go back to there. The hints are quite useful also. It is on the easy side, with lots of hidden object and fractured hidden objects scenes which I like. It's good for me to get a game sometimes that's not so hard on the brain- just relaxing and fun. So thanks BF- you've helped make my Sunday more enjoyable!

[Post New]by PRINCESSWIMMER24 on Aug 21, 11 11:23 AM
I was excited to try this game after reading a couple of the reviews. I do agree that the graphics are very crisp, but that was about all I agreed on. I definitely don't think this is CE material. It seems lately that they slap CE on to any game. I found it very annoying that you had to keep going back to the same HOG scenes and look for the same objects. And I'm a sucker for voice overs. I think that to be a CE you shouldn't have to read anything lol Maybe that just means I'm a lazy gamer, I dunno. I used to look forward to CE releases, because I knew it was going to be something outstanding. I don't feel that way anymore, and this game is one of those reasons why. I'm sure there are many out there that will enjoy this game, but for me it's a no buy.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Aug 21, 11 11:37 AM
It is a beautiful game, I have to agree with that, also nice music and birds. But a lot of the H0 scenes repeat themselves. Seems not as hard as most CEs are
too, not CE material so i guess i will wait until it comes out a se to buy..

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Aug 21, 11 11:39 AM
ladygem6 wrote:I'm sorry, I love the pipes and slider puzzles!! I don't know why but to me they are easy and enjoyable. Other puzzles are not and there are so many I can't name them here!! Those I skip somtimes too unless I want to spend frustrating minutes to much longer finishing them.

We all have our likes and dislikes which is what makes these games so much fun. God Bless BFG. Without it, I would have no fun at all!

I really like the pipes and slider puzzles too.- for some reason?? really enjoy them

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Aug 21, 11 11:44 AM
equusjoy wrote:
Re eviews for Sonya Collector's Edition
by gpherder on August 21, 2:10 AM
So far, seems to be quite a fun game. I do wish they'd spell-check their hidden object scenes a bit better though.

Wine is not vine.

Oh, I so agree with this. All devs should have spell check and correct names for items. Something that bugs me is calling a snaffle bit handcuffs, etc. A bit can have one straight side, handcuffs don't. Just a pet peeve.

Joy

Handcuffs are fine with me.... I have never heard the term snaffle bit... I would be lost... more than usual..

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 21, 11 1:01 PM
I played for 15 minutes and wouldn't you know it, the first minigame I came across was a repeat the sequence. I can not stand that type. I can't remember what order to push, pull or whatever. I found the graphics nice and clear, but the music was bothering me. I always like games with achievements, they make it seem like you are playing the game for a reason. I will wait for the SE though. To all who buy the CE, happy gaming!

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 21, 11 1:16 PM
Disappointing after all the hype. No Map and repetitive scenes. I'll wait for the SE.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 21, 11 1:32 PM
The graphics are clear. Yes. And IMO that's all the positive there is in this non-double-price-worthy H0 game.
The sort of Dream Chronicle style irritates me, as does the music.
The puzzles are too familiar and much too easy.
There are sparkles and you can't choose to play without them.
The H0 scenes are junkpiles to visit more than once, and only to find typical HOG stuff like horseshoes, gloves and tweezers. Too boring for words.
The story is stupid. Here we have some kind of fairy-looking family (yuk) and suddenly one of the two daughters is shot or kidnapped or whatever and you fly to the rescue, happily dashing to and fro on twinkle-plinkle-tweettweet sounds.

Oh great, there's a SG, but who needs it? You can do this game in your sleep.

It's tedious. Don't think I'll even buy the SE.

CasualGran

Go to: