Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Reviews for Around the World in Eighty Days: The Challenge

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Aug 23, 11 2:19 PM
I have to agree with jkuci that HdO can't be blamed for the story line, which is straight out of Jules Verne's novel by the same name and, actually, it's a great story!

I have to admit that I played the whole demo because this game is much better than the other HdO games that I have demoed. [spoiler alert] A couple of the minigames verged on fun, though it took me some time to realize if you clicked on a wrong card, for example, you went back to the beginning of the card minigame. I was stumped for a few minutes by the mosaic puzzle as well until I noticed the color of the border.

I don't think that I'll buy the game, though: it's been a long time since I have read the book, but I was in chapter 4 when the demo hour ran out, which I think meant I was about halfway through the game, and a two-hour game is too short to spend $6.99 on.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 23, 11 3:15 PM
equusjoy wrote:I am afraid that seeing it was a HdO was far enough for me, I have never liked anything that they put out and I knew this wouldn't work for me anyway. That being said, why don't we get any good SE games anymore?? As mentioned by others, getting all the extra credits for all the CE games doesn't mean a thing if we don't get any games to use them on. I have 6 credits right now that are just sitting there taunting me.

Help, , please give us some viable options.

Joy

Joy, did you actually try the game?

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 23, 11 3:39 PM
steve_san wrote:
equusjoy wrote:I am afraid that seeing it was a HdO was far enough for me, I have never liked anything that they put out and I knew this wouldn't work for me anyway. That being said, why don't we get any good SE games anymore?? As mentioned by others, getting all the extra credits for all the CE games doesn't mean a thing if we don't get any games to use them on. I have 6 credits right now that are just sitting there taunting me.

Help, , please give us some viable options.

Joy

Joy, did you actually try the game?

Yes, against my better judgement and in fairness to the devs I did try it out. Is it as bad as the others? I think it might be a tad bit better, but not anything I would ever purchase or enjoy. Sorry, just MHO.

Joy

suesay
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by suesay on Aug 23, 11 3:41 PM
I know this is not the proper place to voice, however having said that

ANYONE LISTENING BFG??????

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 23, 11 3:43 PM
I tried it and thought it was better than the other hdo games I've tried. However, it was hard to get started. Once I started I was enjoying it until I went to the club. I had a map and had no idea what to do. Then I realized I had to find the right buildings on the map. I searched for a few but my head started throbbing and it was exit and delete for me. I lasted only 10 minutes even though I had some hope in the beginning.

[Post New]by becordrey on Aug 23, 11 4:01 PM
I made it 4 minutes and found myself very annoyed that I had wasted 4 minutes on it. Too much dialog and too much clicking through the dialog.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Aug 23, 11 4:16 PM
I'm with Barb- I quite enjoyed the demo. Kind of a treat as it is a different format and approach from the games I have been playing. I found it interesting even if they fractured the English language at times. It's a buy for me I think.

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Aug 23, 11 4:53 PM
I came in here with a question about the hints, but I see that there is no Skip for mini games. That is a deal-breaker for me.

FYI, the question is that I don't see anything happen when I click Hint. The number goes down and there is obnoxious clicking until it is available again. But again, when I click it, I don't see anything happen.

SandraDaL
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by SandraDaL on Aug 23, 11 6:01 PM
I played the full demo, and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. However, the developers really need to stop with the "jack in the box" conversation. It is really annoying. Also, I had to brighten the screen, and now my screen is terrible, can't get it back to where it was. All in all, not happy with this game or these developers.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Aug 23, 11 6:25 PM
No walk through and no escape out of the mini games. Cant purchase.

Have a good game day fishies

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 23, 11 7:12 PM
I didn't see a place for "comments", so I'll post here. No thank you for this game. I just don't like the buttons to navigate the game...no skip for puzzles that I could find...some items extremely tiny in the H0 scenes. Game a bit too "slow moving" for me. Sorry...

[Post New]by ShimShalabim on Aug 24, 11 1:00 AM
Really bad. Save your money/credits.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Aug 24, 11 5:25 AM
Very disappointing... Games presented lately just aren't up to par. I predict it will go on sale for $2.99 before you know it.

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Aug 24, 11 8:48 AM
I must state that I'm surprised that I enjoy this game. Yes, I have tried other games from this dev. however this is the 1st one I've really liked.
As other fishies say, please give each game a try if it's in a genre you enjoy. Read the reviews , however keep an open mind.
By the way, there is a "skip" button for the mini games, however it takes 3 min. I don't remember the icon used, that might be found under instructions. I do know that 3 min. is a very long time if I'm frustrated w/a mini game I just can't figure out or if it's one I always skip.
Have a great day fishies.

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Aug 24, 11 8:48 AM
I must state that I'm surprised that I enjoy this game. Yes, I have tried other games from this dev. however this is the 1st one I've really liked.
As other fishies say, please give each game a try if it's in a genre you enjoy. Read the reviews , however keep an open mind.
By the way, there is a "skip" button for the mini games, however it takes 3 min. I don't remember the icon used, that might be found under instructions. I do know that 3 min. is a very long time if I'm frustrated w/a mini game I just can't figure out or if it's one I always skip.
Have a great day fishies.
Now I understand how every so often a fishie will have a dupl or trip post. I just did it. Looked as though it was frozen, so I clicked again. I must have patience, I must have patience-----

Edited on 08/24/2011 at 8:58:43 AM PST

[Post New]by haggisbasher_1 on Aug 24, 11 3:49 PM
Waste of time and money. This is one of the worst yet.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 24, 11 3:55 PM
Game wasn't that great, although, one of the best SE games this month. Not really saying much. Very disappointed. I agree, too much talk and not enough do. Game play good, graphics good, but choppy, items difficult to find in most cases, games a little different but the same over and over so got boring. Story line nothing new. Newbies would find it fun. Just didn't "grab" me and keep my attention long enough to want to purchse, and I played the entire demo. The month is running out and I'm still waiting on a good game...preferably an SE.

[Post New]by jeanh3218 on Aug 24, 11 6:49 PM
I bought this game but can't get past Chapter 4 when it says to find a new method of transportation. I just go round and round from the village and the path with 2 directions one of which says dead end. Sooo I cant play more than 3 1/2 chapters bummer. Can you help me. What do I have to do.

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Aug 25, 11 7:09 AM
jeanh3218 wrote:I bought this game but can't get past Chapter 4 when it says to find a new method of transportation. I just go round and round from the village and the path with 2 directions one of which says dead end. Sooo I cant play more than 3 1/2 chapters bummer. Can you help me. What do I have to do.

Hi jeanh3218. Welcome to the forum.
Did you find the elephant near the tree? It is in the background around leftcenter. If I remember correctly, the ears, head, & trunk moves.
I hope this helps. If you haven't paid for the elephant & found food for it, you haven't found the elephant.
Good luck.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Aug 25, 11 12:07 PM
I played the whole demo and I really thought HdO finally delivered a decent game. Boy was I wrong. At least I only used a punch card on this one. What really upset me the most was, I would click an item that I knew was the right one and I couldn't get it even after multiple clicks. OK, maybe this isn't the right one. Use a hint. Low and behold, its the same item I am clicking on. A couple of more clicks and I finally get it.

The story line is OK but way too much talking and not enough game play. HdO is getting closer to delivering a fair game but not yet.

Having said that, I try to give each game a chance. But not any more. I will not download another HdO game until I see RAVING reviews here in the forum. I wasted a punch card on this one and now I am going to uninstall it.

Go to: