VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

Re:Reviews for Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 24, 11 12:06 PM
I don't do grades anymore since I am about of school but for a score. 7 because it was to short.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 24, 11 12:11 PM
I don't normally play Adventures, so it took me some figuring to move forward. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I could make progress, although I did feel lost several times. My time ran out trimming the Bonsai for the second Ghost. I found the minigames quite frustrating as I had to keep starting over, but you do have the option to skip them. I would consider buying if I needed to fill a Punchcard, but still prefer HOPA and Fractured HOGs. The curser response seemed a bit slow, but otherwise a well made, interesting game.

M_E_M_O_M
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by M_E_M_O_M on Aug 24, 11 12:56 PM
This was too dark for me. Don't like cartoon-y graphics, found it easy enough to navigate, but won't be buying this one. Yuck!

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 24, 11 12:57 PM
Am I the only person who didn't like this game? I thought the puzzles were stupid. Some I thought just plain didn't make sense and others I couldn't even bother trying. When I got to the murals on the wall I deleted it. What was the point of that one?

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 24, 11 1:57 PM
I just finished my trial and enjoyed it enough to use a coupon on it. I usually go for HOGS but these last two adventure games have gotten me intrigued. I may have to go searching the old adventure archives in here. I like the look of this game and the sound effects. It's not terribly hard but has a bit of a challenge which I like. I would suggest people try it for themselves. The trial is as far as you can get in an hour. I was in the middle of the wedding room when my time ran out. That is the second of 6 ghosts you have to help.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Aug 24, 11 2:35 PM
I'm an avid adventure game player, but this one just isn't an adventure. It's a FROG in sheep's clothing! Pieces of junk lying around that you have to pick out by just clicking around, puzzles that are tedious and not challenging, I could go on, but I won't.

I didn't mind the graphics - reminded me of the old Monkey Island type game, which I love. Too bad the game play is terrible.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 24, 11 2:48 PM
I don't play adventure games, as I am an avid HOG player. This one seemed a bit different, so thought I would try it out. I actually enjoyed it. Since I don't play these games, I don't know how it measures up to other adventure games. Graphics weren't anything special, music okay, game play was nice, games a little different but not difficult. Fun, but still not a buy for me only because I prefer HOG's.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 24, 11 3:05 PM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Hello again,

I have now finished this game & thought I'd add a few more bits.

The other chapters are not as long as the first but the game is still of good length.

Every puzzle was different. Actually, I found my self hankering after that robot from the 1st episode & I would have loved to replay some of the other puzzles that only appeared once.

The ending implies there is another instalment to follow.

The only glich I came across was with a memory flower game & I know my answers were right because I cheeted & wrote down the grids LOL But it worked out in the end.

This is definitely one of those games you want to demo even if you don't buy. Very very enjoyable.

Once you have played a puzzle you can play it again, they are all there under the the Extras tab and some of the them have more than one version of the same type ... I found out the hard way with the map when you had to follow the pirate's route and I got to 7 moves and then forgot andwhen I had to replay it it came up with a different route to memorise .

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 24, 11 3:29 PM
Wow - this is a surprisingly good game! Don't expect stellar graphics but still they are clear and, personally, I like the artwork. It's something different, as others have said, which I like. I have become quite engaged in the game. Definitely a buy for me!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 24, 11 3:33 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:Am I the only person who didn't like this game?

Nope, you are not alone. Just an uninspired and uninspiring game - if you are looking for an adventure type challenge, it won't be found here. I have only "saved' one ghost and may come back to this game some day if I run out of other games to play but right now I take a pass. I agree with cstdenis
Too bad the game play is terrible.
However, I was not crazy about the style of graphics, I will concur and defer to Darkdisciple's comments on the graphics because I couldn't have said it better myself.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 24, 11 4:12 PM
Thanks for the great reviews!! I usually hate cartoon type graphics, but enough of you loved this game in spite of them, so I'm gonna give it a trial!!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Aug 24, 11 4:12 PM
I just finished this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a Lite Adventure and definitely my kind of game. I'd LOVE more of them. I mentioned on another thread that I think the opening with Felix should have taken the place of Ashley. Felix's scary look better suited the story than Ashley did. If any Fishies know of similar games, please let me know. I'll replay this which is something I generally don't do as I get bored the second time around, but I had skipped a few of the puzzles in my excitement to get on with the adventure. So a replay is a must for me. Very good game.

[Post New]by woodspinner on Aug 24, 11 4:37 PM
Way too short! Without using the guide, but in casual mode, I finished three ghosts in the hour trial. I don't buy two hour games.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Aug 24, 11 4:48 PM
This game is so cracy that I love it. Do this but cant do it until you do it the way I want it done, reminds me of some of the bosses I used to have. Dont miss the junkpiles at all today. Ive been laughing my head off. Unique puzzles and I am glad that they are playable without playing the whole game and I will because im really taking advantage of the skip to move on in the game. Lots of imagination put into this game. I hope you make some more of these. Nice middle of the week break.
Thanks Big Fish, better than some of the CEs lately.

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Aug 24, 11 5:21 PM
I almost always purchase HOG games, but this was FUN. Will purchase this for sure. Great game. Kudos to developer and Big Fish. Super great game.

[Post New]by triquetra33 on Aug 24, 11 8:43 PM
This game won't win any awards for visuals, but I liked the demo enough to think it'll be worth a credit. If it was a CE price, I'd probably wait, but at the reg price I think it's a buy. At least it should hold me over till the next new HOG comes along...

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 24, 11 8:46 PM
A surprisingly good game, especially for an SE. It is a definate buy for me. Give us more of these please.

Menesa
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Menesa on Aug 24, 11 10:01 PM
M'mmm turned out to be just another game where the developers didnt do much historical research.. .
Seems they skipped their ancient history lessons at school to play with computers. Dont they understand the word... research.
**** Hum so what's new!!!!!!
It is a very shory game with only a couple of hours game play...just wish I hadnt wasted my credit on it.

So my rating is smelly sock.=4
My rating can be as low as OMG Whats That Stink =1 to Evokingly Fragrant=10

Edited on 08/24/2011 at 10:06:36 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 25, 11 2:35 AM
Menesa wrote:M'mmm turned out to be just another game where the developers didnt do much historical research.. .
Seems they skipped their ancient history lessons at school to play with computers. Dont they understand the word... research.
**** Hum so what's new!!!!!!
It is a very shory game with only a couple of hours game play...just wish I hadnt wasted my credit on it.

So my rating is smelly sock.=4
My rating can be as low as OMG Whats That Stink =1 to Evokingly Fragrant=10

Although I disagree with your rating, I love your rating system!

For me, this game would have been somewhere around an 8 1/2 on your system: a sweet scented rose (?)

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 25, 11 2:49 AM
OK I do try and be fair and objective in reviews (usually) so I think it's best here for me to do the pros and cons.

(edit - I am sorry I thought this was a game by big fish due to their opening logo and not noticing anyone else, So sorry did not want to mislead and I can't change my 'official' review. I just discovered this, so my apologies - this isn't a big fish game! I think this is why my expectations was so high)

I don't hate it, just leaves me between OK and annoyed.* I just expected more.
Like darkdisciple said these graphics are old. I don't mind cartoon graphics (I love Nick Chase games) but there is no depth to them. But if that was all, it wouldn't bother me as much, as spirit soup had older graphics and I enjoyed that. I think it is a combination of a few things - it is FROGesque (I usually hate FROGs). And because of the simple graphics when you are in a scene, it's mind numbingly easy to see all you have to pick up.

PROs
- built in guide, with progressive hints, although not a complete walkthrough it's nice to see this in a SE.
- puzzles had an easy mode, an immediate skip, so pleases everybody
-It's widescreen
-Finding envelopes to get journal updates (would be great if future morph object games tied that in) although they were SO obvious to find.

CONs
-It's short (not, it's so short I wouldn't buy it)
-I played on the adventure mode it said active zones not highlighted. There were sparkles! even if it took a few seconds to activate, shouldn't be any
-the idea of some of the puzzles were good, but the execution in some were lacking. I love puzzles but because of this, it annoyed me*.
-too easy - picking up objects in a scene
-the 'blah' graphics, just needed some more work in making them 'deeper'.

Just too easy for me and missing that 'x' factor. The mystery of why some games leave you cold and others you love even despite their cons. But do demo it, I know many will enjoy it. I don't regret my last coupon spent on this (just not loving spending it!)

Light game - candyfloss. A "C" for me.
Maybe it was because I am hungry that this didn't satisfy -
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/2040/172198.page#top

Edited on 03/23/2012 at 8:28:57 PM PST

Go to: