shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Review for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 25, 11 5:21 AM
greeneyes488 wrote:Im not a puzzle lover but I just cant pass this one up!.Done the 2nd one.what was the 1st one? Anyone know...Id like to do it too.

Awakening: The Dreamless Castle was the first in the series.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 25, 11 5:46 AM
I liked the game. Owl is a nic feature. The little dragon was plus. Could use him this winter. Puzzles were great with just a tad of hardness to them. Can't say yet about the **** scenes as I have only done two. Too many gets to the eyes.

Debating on whether to buy now or wait until it's a SE.

Had a dream about apples and BFG. Logged on and saw 10 credits in my stache. Wow, I thought. Now I can buy all those CE's I liked. In the dream BFG decided to give everyone a free credit for every ten games purchased.

If only dreams did come true. I need to get some decent for a change.

[Post New]by beachcomber65 on Aug 25, 11 6:15 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I beta'd this AGES ago, I remember posting that the Pocket Dragon was back in this one.

There are a TON of puzzles, at least in the first hour. I whizzed through a lot of them, funny that memory kicks in from playing it so long ago.

It'll be on my SE list. I don't do CE's except for HE5 that is!

HE5????

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Aug 25, 11 6:21 AM
Hi everyone

Overall, I liked this game although it is a tad easy, and very puzzle heavy, which I also liked. The graphics are nice but the music is kind of boring. The puzzles are a great variety, but the HOG scenes are very few and far between. I have the other two "Awakenings" and if you like those, most likely you will like this one too.

I played in normal mode ( no guidance, minimal sparkles indicating HOG scenes) and was still in chapter 1 at the train station when the demo ended, so the game looks to be of a decent length. I enjoyed the pocket dragon and owl features as well as the easy to read guide, but I did feel that this game falls a little short on difficulty. I had no problems using items to their logical conclusions, although one puzzle did confuse me, the others were not hard, but still fun to solve.

A nice game, a good diversion, but not exactly CE worthy in my opinion, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles one would expect at that price. I will wait for the SE.

My grade system:

Gameplay: B
Puzzles: A ( a great variety)
Music: B
Graphics: B+
HOG scenes: B( there are very few)
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):B
Game issues: none

My Overall Grade- B

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 25, 11 6:55 AM
beachcomber65 wrote:
spiritdog51 wrote:I beta'd this AGES ago, I remember posting that the Pocket Dragon was back in this one.

There are a TON of puzzles, at least in the first hour. I whizzed through a lot of them, funny that memory kicks in from playing it so long ago.

It'll be on my SE list. I don't do CE's except for HE5 that is!

HE5????

It's Hidden Expedition 5 (The Uncharted Islands)

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Aug 25, 11 7:41 AM
Well, this game is chock full of charm and totally delightful moments.....plenty for me. Will buy it next month as I'm waiting for the first of September so I can use my credits. The first time I've played this series, and will go back and demo the others to see what I've been missing.

Love the fairy tale aspect, the graphics are gorgeous, love the guides without having to use hints, but love having them all available.

The demo hour flew by and now I'm waiting impatiently for my new credit to come in....but I am tempted to just purchase the extra credits, without waiting much longer.

Lovely game, and a lovely way to while away the hours by playing it; which I shall do as soon as possible!!!!

from JT.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 25, 11 8:03 AM
This is a "sweet" game. Nice clear graphics. More puzzles than H0g scenes, which makes me happy. LOL. Puzzles are doable so far and fun, didn't have to use the skip button. It went to full screen on my laptop, did not have to change the resolution. This is a definite buy for me. Love that little dragon.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 25, 11 9:10 AM
O.K., there are games and then there are games. This is a Game. This series is one of the most beautiful and amazing series that exist! If you haven't played the first two...you must do so before you move on to this one. They are worth your money and your time. This is another edition to a wounderful series. I highly recommend on buying this one and the other two. The graphics are top of the line. The gameplay is so interesting and flows so smoothly. I'm so thrilled that the third editon is here for our enjoyment. We are all in for a real treat with this game. And for the debate of CE vs SE...when it comes to this series CE's are a must have in my opinion. WoooHoo! great job developers!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE" Top of the Line!

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on Aug 25, 11 9:17 AM
Absolutely love it. The games are fairly easy so I feel brilliant after attempting Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes. The characters are adorable too. Guess you figured out by now that I am a grandma.
One question before I spend more money on this game: is the bonus play worth the additional cost?
Either way, at some point in the near future I WILL be playing a CE or SE of this game.
Bessie Mae

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Aug 25, 11 9:18 AM
Great game for me too. Have played all the others & was so looking forward to the next in the series. Played the trial for just a bit to check for problems -- nil -- then purchased and it d/l'ed fine and am now enjoying. It's playing in full screen for my laptop and I didn't need to change anything -- not that I ever do. If I have to play with black bars on the sides so be it since I never change resolution for a game. So far I luv it and if some think it's too easy for me it's just right.

Happy gaming everyone -- know I'm having fun!!!!!

BTW, great post, Lisa........agree with you totally.

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Aug 25, 11 9:37 AM
crazy8club wrote:I liked the game. Owl is a nic feature. The little dragon was plus. Could use him this winter. Puzzles were great with just a tad of hardness to them. Can't say yet about the **** scenes as I have only done two. Too many gets to the eyes.

Debating on whether to buy now or wait until it's a SE.

Had a dream about apples and BFG. Logged on and saw 10 credits in my stache. Wow, I thought. Now I can buy all those CE's I liked. In the dream BFG decided to give everyone a free credit for every ten games purchased.

If only dreams did come true. I need to get some decent for a change.

Thanks crazy8club, loved your dream review! If only... At least BFG now allows us to use 2 game credits to purchase a CE with, that's a step in the right direction & shows that they are listening to us. I just hate having to wait 2 months to collect the game credits, 'cuz we can't use our punch cards for them, yet... And yes, I know I can buy a credit for $6.99, but that's not happening, so I'll just wait.
Happy gaming pondmates, hideobjectaddict

keeliesnanna
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by keeliesnanna on Aug 25, 11 10:11 AM
i too am using a NVidia GEForce card and the graphics looked good on my computer not grainy at all my only dilemma is to buy or not to buy as i have already bought 2 CE's this month ...... its no good i cant resist its another buy for me!

girlJaye
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by girlJaye on Aug 25, 11 10:38 AM
I love this series, and was so excited to see a new installment up for grabs this morning!

I really like sparkly things, so I'm ever indebted to games like this for helping out with little sparkles here and there. If you don't like them, the game offers both a casual "experience" and an expert setting before you start.

This is a fun little story - the puzzles aren't too difficult, and it's a true continuation of the previous Awakening games, which is really nice. They've kept the same storyline and a lot of the same practical concepts, too. The mini-puzzles are, of course, different, but flow in the same vein as the previous games. There's just a really nice sense of continuity.

Can I just give the Pocket Dragon his own paragraph? Oh my word!! He PURRRS when you pick him up!! Sometimes I pick him up for no reason other than to hear him purr.

I haven't bought this game yet - still running the trial - but I know already that I will.
Thanks BFG!!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 25, 11 11:00 AM
Great game so far! Good puzzles, artwork, and characters. I love this developer and this series. It's just so nice to play a "magical" game that I can escape into. My only wish is that the journal wouldn't keep sparkling after a new entry is added - that distracts me since it's in my peripheral vision. But - NICE JOB, BOOMZAP!

Edit: I was wrong - the jounral stops sparkling - it just took longer than I expected.

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 6:30:00 PM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 25, 11 11:16 AM
I was really hoping to like this game. Everybody says it's very "pretty" and it is, but that's only one reason for buying a game -- interesting play is another reason and this one quite frankly is boring IMO, more geared towards kids I think or people who just want to kill a couple of hours and not think too much.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Aug 25, 11 11:31 AM
This game is nice. The graphics are beautiful, as usual, and I have an Nvidia GeForce graphics card. The music is nice so I don't have to turn it down real low.
There are lots of puzzles which I really like. The Awakening series games are not heavy on hidden objects so I would categorize this as a puzzle/hidden object game, not the other way around. This is a big plus to me.

As for the story line, it is told to the player at the beginning of the game. It is not an adventure game where you don't know what's going on. It is a game where the player has to talk to characters and get past obstacles to find the humans who left her country one hundred years before. The obstacles are in the form of puzzles.

If people haven't noticed, the reason this game is a collector's edition and not a standard edition is because there is a strategy guide included in this game as well as other things. The strategy guide had to be bought separately in the other games. If you want to use the strategy guide you have to pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it wait for the se. If I could afford it I would buy it today but since I can't, I'll wait for the se. The game is well worth the wait in my opinion.

I rate this game

Wow! Two 5 happy suns game in one week for me. I'm a happy gamer

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Aug 25, 11 12:21 PM
Cute game....a few too many puzzles for my tase, and not enough h...o....scenes. I won't be buying this version, as it won't open up to full screen. I've only had this problem with one other game, and I was able to solve that one. I also don't think it's worth a CE price. I may purchase it when they come out with a new version as an SE.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 25, 11 1:20 PM
Fun game. Even better than the last one in this series. Varied puzzles and enough HOG's to make it interesting. Clear crisp graphics, no dark and gloomy settings, and a cutesy factor of 10 with the owl and pocket dragon. Unfortunately cannot afford the CE. I will have to wait for the SE. I wouldn't mind eating Hot Dogs and Beans for the rest of the month, but I can't convince the wife it would be worth it. She is a non-player and thinks computers are just a waste of time.

1meemaw4u
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by 1meemaw4u on Aug 25, 11 1:30 PM
Well I loved the first 2 Awakening games. I would like to try this one but it won't install. Just one more in a long line of problems BF seems to be having with everything - from having to join the new Game Manager about 742 times to games not downloading. New is not necessarily better.

Good advice: Try it before you buy it.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Aug 25, 11 1:31 PM
Boomzap another great winner! Thank you, thank you for wonderful fairy tales goblins, dragons, owls and a Princess! A fun happy game without crazies, aliens, dead bodies, blood, occult and voodoo! This is another "mesmerizing experience" as another gamer put it! Purchased as soon as it could download - my birthday present to me! Loved the first two, especially Moonfell. This is one gaming company who actually listens to its users and provides an even more fun experience. Glorious graphics - if you are seeing grainy pictures - strongly suggest you go buy a new graphic card. My system is five years old and not top of the line and I have perfect, crystal clear graphics - I thought I could reach out and touch the turtle in the rippling water. Amazing graphics!!

A Princess searching for her people with two of the most enchanting companions. A pocket dragon who purrs and has attitude! An adorable owl with engaging humor. Mini-games that challenge you and make you think. I will say one totally stumped me - the one with roulette wheels. There are slightly different twists to some old goody standbys -- which I enjoy. I'm at chapter 2 after almost 2 hours of play - so this will be a long one. As for CE over SE - I generally will wait, but couldn't stand waiting a minute for this sequel and these guys haven't let me down so I'm expecting great things in the bonus play! So far this game is the best offered in months on BFG! Will add more when I finish! Thank you again.

Go to: