Re:Review for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 27, 11 10:25 AM
I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like about this game, but after reading some of the reviews, it came to me.. Didn't like it when it went into the Fairyland or whatever you call it.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Aug 27, 11 10:49 AM
First of all I have to say what stunning graphics & artwork; this is a really beautiful game to look at; the music is subtle & I liked the ambient background sounds – definitely a buy for me. Thanks to Hitpoint games.

The graphics are clear & the H0G scenes are nice & crisp, some of the items are a little small but I did not need to resort to a hint; there are 42 story pages to find throughout the game to add interest. I was able to solve the mini puzzles during the demo as they were not too hard.

There are no voiceovers & you can click through the onscreen dialogue if you are a fast reader, you can also use an option to mute the sounds which I know some of you like to do.

In easy mode there are the usual sparkles & glints & a 30 second recharge on the hint or you can select advanced mode, no sparkles anywhere & 2 minute hint recharge. I found the custom cursor a little ‘sticky’ so I switched it off after which I had no problems.
There is an overclick penalty but it only lasts a couple of seconds.

There is a task list on screen & a diary giving the story; this is not a dark & eerie game, instead you move from an island into fairy land & back to the island; wear your sneakers as there is no map. This is a lovely bright game to play over the weekend.

ETA took me around 3-1/2 hours to finish & I was enraptured

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 2:09:24 PM PST

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Aug 27, 11 11:12 AM
I demoed this one, enjoyed the demo. Bought and played. Really had fun playing it. Took my time took me 3 and half to 4 hrs to finish. Thanks BF

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Aug 27, 11 11:34 AM
I like The Secrets of Arcelia Island. The graphics are beautiful, the HOs make sense for their surroundings, the mini-games mostly make sense. My biggest problem comes with the storyline. It's a captivating story right up until the end. The ending felt abrupt, imcomplete and too soon. I didn't feel like there was reasonable resolution to the ending; I was definitely expecting there would be more. But that's my only complaint.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Aug 27, 11 1:14 PM
Played the entire game, I was rapt! It was really fun, had a good flow to it. Nice gameplay. Could have used voice-overs but never mind. Graphics were clean and the hidden object scenes doable without squinting, which is a big thig for me.
I liked this game, sorry it donesn't have another scene..but in good games, you always want it to go on and on. Def. woth my last coupon.
kris

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 27, 11 1:27 PM
I bought this game and am really enjoying it. I've been playing about 3 hours or a little longer and I'm about 2/3 of the way through according to the walkthrough. I have had a technical issue with the game quitting when I access the story but if I don't do that it is running just fine. For those of you put off by the fairies it is just one section of the game. You have to find 4 pearls and one of them is with the fairies but then you are done with them. Making the potions was a simple minigame. I haven't had to access the walkthrough except to see how far along I was. The hint system is quite good and will give you a nudge in the right direction.

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 1:28:07 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Aug 27, 11 2:26 PM
What a game graphics are so beautiful and clear, Music is nice I love everything about this awesome game, Thx so much DEV's and BF, You went out of your way to make us happy today with this great game..
I will be buying this game..

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 27, 11 2:39 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Oh, hack, gag and puke.

I know I'm getting more and more jaded with these games lately, but for the love of all that is holy, can these developers not come up with any original ideas at all?

I could accept this harsh negative criticism, but I was curious which games got the highest positive rank from you, and checked your critic posts (clicked on your user name).

And this is what I found:

"What an incredibly fun game! It combines the best parts of hidden-object games (searching for things you actually need, as opposed to the ridiculous, such as wrenches, feathers and screws) and time-management games, which I usually don't enjoy playing. I'll be getting this with one of my tokens next month, and I thank those who recommended this in the forums of other games. Cheers!" (about 'Settlement Collossus').

The majority negative criticism was mainly about HOG/Adventure games.

Well, Lady, after I discovered which genre you like - I know which genre you hate... . This is not a constructive criticism - this is pure genre hate - and I find it redundant. It's like a Time Management genre player comments about Match-3 or HOG genre.

Really naughty.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 27, 11 2:40 PM
Nice to see a good SE for a change.I have a wish list of at least 3 CE's that I must wait for. I was excited to see the SE sale, but disappointed because I have the ones on sale. This one will be a buy for me. I need something to play while waiting for the CE to SE releases.
Just curious: Why do fishies ask how long a game is? Speed is relative. This forum runs from 2 hours to 5 hours. That doesn't tell me how long I will take.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Aug 27, 11 3:45 PM
lovely62 wrote: What a game graphics are so beautiful and clear, Music is nice I love everything about this awesome game, Thx so much DEV's and BF, You went out of your way to make us happy today with this great game..
I will be buying this game..

So agree, and I bought. I have already been playing for several hours and am not a third of the way through. Of course, I have CNN on tracking Irene. My husband and I are from that area, and it is truly scary. Please give this game a try. Gorgeous graphics, fun HOGS, and just fun. I am also very happy.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Aug 27, 11 4:55 PM
Love, loved this game. So here I am in NYC 8pm, rain and winds picking up as Hurricane Irene heads our way. Did I mention the earthquake in Albany? Did I mention the tornadoes in NJ? Thanks BFG for giving me a very nice afternoon to escape the reality around me. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this SE!

[Post New]by tinyseahorse on Aug 27, 11 6:07 PM
not a buy for me,,,way to short, but it is a beautiful game with wonderful graphics . didnt care for some of the mini's. would have been a buy if it was longer.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 27, 11 7:53 PM
Very nice clear graphics; music not bad; hint button not bad, but not real helpful either; not a lot of running back and forth. This game seems very familiar. According to the WT, I was half way through the game in the hour demo. Nice game, but way too short for me. Besides, I took advantage of the "onetime" CE purchases and went way over my limit for this month. No purchase for me.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 27, 11 8:28 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:
Just curious: Why do fishies ask how long a game is? Speed is relative. This forum runs from 2 hours to 5 hours. That doesn't tell me how long I will take.

I agree with you completely! Better to ask how many chapters and even that doesn't tell the full story. Each person plays at a different speed. It's like asking a knitter how long does it take to make a shawl or pair of socks. My speed is usually slow because I don't usually finish a game in one sitting but continue it on the next couple of days which may take me a few minutes to orientate myself each time (CRS hits me hard!). HOG scenes for me take awhile too since I don't madly click through to find the objects. I try to look for them and not use the hint system unless I am getting really frustrated because I can't find the last one. Not to mention my eyes tend to blur after awhile (I have very dry eyes).

Game seems enjoyable and I'll probably purchase it next month (2 game cards filled and I can't afford anymore this month). I do enjoy reading everyone's review to get an idea of the game and it's potential. I still play the demo though first to see how I like it.

Happy gaming to everyone who enjoys this game. To those who did not, there is always another game right around the corner that may be your cup of tea.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Aug 27, 11 10:32 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The HOG scenes were very clear which makes for an A+ in my book. The story line was a lot of fun. Instead of all elements being dark and scary which, by the way, are my favorites; there was a lot of light and fun elements in the fairy forest. This should please of lot of players who are not fans of the dark and spooky games that we see a lot of, and for me, hope to keep on coming.

The graphics are beautiful. As an artist that works in oil paints, I have no idea how this is done by computer but, I really appreciate them.

Glad that I made the purchase. (GUPPY)

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Aug 28, 11 12:19 AM
I finished this game as hurricane Irene was almost upon my state. Loved this game. For almost 4 hours I didn't have to worry about my house flooding, losing power, or the clean-up I get to look forward to later today. It is 3:16 A.M. in Connecticut. I need to stay awake in case our power goes out and we need to start the generator. This was a much needed fun game and I, for one, appreciated it. I hope everyone in the path of this storm stays safe. Thanks BF and developer for giving me something to escape with!

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Aug 28, 11 2:02 AM
Great game!! OK, so there were a couple of fairies, but it was a well told story, good graphics, music and enjoyable (bit different too) puzzles.
I liked the change of eye expression from the Satyr when telling his story, this was a nice new development
DEVELOPERS please note, the hint system in this game was JUST RIGHT!! no need for walk throughs or strategy guides because when you ask for a hint when your stuck, it just says for example "perhaps you need to look more carefully in the kitchen", and if your still stuck will give further help. An all round enjoyable game.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Aug 28, 11 2:10 AM
Well aren't you just the cynic!! Reading through the forum, you've been outvoted by the majority of players. Perhaps it's time you gave up gaming and did the developing you're so critical of.

darkdisciple1313 wrote:Oh, hack, gag and puke.

I know I'm getting more and more jaded with these games lately, but for the love of all that is holy, can these developers not come up with any original ideas at all? There have been at least a dozen games released this year alone that have either dealt with a mysterious island (Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus); an evil witch or other person bound and determined to be a pain in the neck (Nightmare Realm); or yet another missing relative (too many to be listed here). Maybe I should have listened to my best friend in college and gone into computer gaming design as a career, because even when I'm running on two hours of sleep, I can come up with more original plots than what these game companies keep churning out. Then again, if originality were actually valued these days, there wouldn't be something like 26,000 versions of Friday the 13th in the movie theaters. Oy vey!

No double reviews this time. Simply put, it's all been done before, there is nothing new or original, and neither the graphics nor gameplay are anything that will make a normal person remember it a year from now. For casual and experienced gamers, Arcelia Island gets a 1 out of 10, and that's being generous because it's Saturday, there's a sale on collector's editions, and I'm otherwise in a splendid mood. Off to spend money on games that are light-years better than this bottom-of-a-cesspool offering.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 2:10:41 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 28, 11 2:12 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:First of all I have to say what stunning graphics & artwork; this is a really beautiful game to look at; the music is subtle & I liked the ambient background sounds – definitely a buy for me. Thanks to Hitpoint games.

The graphics are clear & the H0G scenes are nice & crisp, some of the items are a little small but I did not need to resort to a hint; there are 42 story pages to find throughout the game to add interest. I was able to solve the mini puzzles during the demo as they were not too hard.

There are no voiceovers & you can click through the onscreen dialogue if you are a fast reader, you can also use an option to mute the sounds which I know some of you like to do.

In easy mode there are the usual sparkles & glints & a 30 second recharge on the hint or you can select advanced mode, no sparkles anywhere & 2 minute hint recharge. I found the custom cursor a little ‘sticky’ so I switched it off after which I had no problems.
There is an overclick penalty but it only lasts a couple of seconds.

There is a task list on screen & a diary giving the story; this is not a dark & eerie game, instead you move from an island into fairy land & back to the island; wear your sneakers as there is no map. This is a lovely bright game to play over the weekend.

ETA took me around 3-1/2 hours to finish & I was enraptured

Thank you very much for the excellent review, SeaBamboo.

I am sure I will take longer than 3 1/2 hours - haven´t even finished the trial version yet in the 1 hour I have. But that`s just me. I like taking my time.

I am a sucker for anything fairy, so that was a plus. I also the side task, finding pieces of the book`s pages. Didn`t have any problems in the trial version, and no trouble with the journal either, as some peeps seem to have.

Great graphics, and fun gameplay. Bought the game.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Aug 28, 11 2:13 AM
daisyduck352 wrote:I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like about this game, but after reading some of the reviews, it came to me.. Didn't like it when it went into the Fairyland or whatever you call it.

Fairy Woods was an extremely short portion of a very enjoyable game, play a bit longer and see what everyone else is praising.

Go to: