KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Aug 30, 11 7:26 AM
I found the "sound effects" (wailing, moaning, etc. ) too creepy and annoying. I could have done without all the blood (yeah I know, it is about Jack the Ripper and all).

Why oh why must devs flood us with bugs, spiders, scorpions, and all matter of creepy items in HOG scenes? This game was worse than most in that it was peppered in every HOG scene I came across. The tiny items in the HOG scenes were really too annoying and very hard to find. While I like a challenge, I want it in the gameplay not in the HOG scenes.

I did like the voice overs and they were right on the money but as other gamers pointed out just too darn slow. Luckily you could click through them when you finished reading what they were saying.

While I loved the mystic and tarot aspect of the game, this game was just too gruesome for me to want to buy it. I'm sure there are other gamers out there who would enjoy it though.

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

Re:Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper - Review and Comments

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Aug 30, 11 7:27 AM
anubischick wrote:Layzeedaisy nice review thanks for that, and for the warning re the hunt and peck for the scenes. I really dislike it when developers put a brown paper bag on a brown leaf pile in the corner of a darkened scene.

I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. However I do understand exactly what you mean, anachronistic HOG irritate me too. If a mobile (cell) phone turns up in a HOG scene in this one I'm going to be annoyed no end.

The game that is played in England that you said was the origins of what is now called Baseball over here, in fact is a girls game called 'Rounders' and still played to this day. The game is basically exactly the same but the girls play with shorter bats which are held in one hand. So it's girlie game played by guys over here..apart from softball that is. :o)

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 30, 11 8:30 AM
Graphics not bad. I turned off the voice. Sound I turned up. Once in a while I had to use hint in ****. What I didn't like was the NOT getting full hour.I was NOT going either slow or fast. Got as far as getting photo of blood and developing it, to doing two or three things after that. You do NOT get full hour. I time games and know I did not get full hour. I did NOT go at a snails pace, etc.

[Post New]by cor_ky2003 on Aug 30, 11 8:31 AM
On Dec.. 5, 2010 I purchased the game (from you guys) called Jack the Ripper.
Is this the same game or a revised one? Thanks for the info.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 30, 11 9:02 AM
cor_ky2003 wrote:On Dec.. 5, 2010 I purchased the game (from you guys) called Jack the Ripper.
Is this the same game or a revised one? Thanks for the info.

It's an entirely different game.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 30, 11 9:04 AM
(A bit off-topic here, at first--just what does the history of "Rounders," "Cricket," and "Baseball" have to do with a review of this game? I agree that an American "baseball bat" might be out of place in 19th-century England, but at least it wasn't a Cell phone, a Walkie-Talkie, or a cordless shaver!).

(Disclaimer--about 40 minutes with the demo)

This game is an improvement from the developer's first attempt--"Real Crimes--Jack The Ripper." I like the idea of three different characters and three different viewpoints. The intro and the Options menu are good. I especially enjoyed the voice acting--I'm not a Brit, but I suspect the lady's Cockney accent is "spot on," and the Police Constable at the station sounds just like you'd expect!

The graphics are very artistic; this is a slasher-type game, though, so be forewarned (but certainly not like a "Friday the 13th" movie!). Hidden objects are sometimes really hidden, but the hint system re-ups quickly. I liked the background sound FX--a good fit with the storyline.

As I type this, I notice that there's no BFG walkthrough--does that mean that doesn't think this game is "worthy"? So it's tough to figure out the game's length. In my time with the demo, I just scratched the surface of the 2nd Chapter--maybe 4 hours? I'd give this SE 'cuz it's a worthwhile game for folks who have a PunchCard coupon that expires tomorrow!

Regards, elldee

FARRALOU
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by FARRALOU on Aug 30, 11 9:11 AM
Beta tested and loved this game.purchased without playing demo.don't see anyway they could mess up what I tested

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 30, 11 9:32 AM
I think there's going to be alot of mixed reviews on this game. The graphics are so grainy and blurry, the objects are so hard to find because the contrast of this game is to dark. I love a good mystery, but this one moves so slow. The voiceovers are some of the slowest talking I've ever heard. It has most everything I look for in a game,widescreen,voiceovers,two modes of play,mystery. But the overall graphics ruin this game for me, IMO there so dark and blurry. I enjoy a good challenge, but if I can't find an object because it's to dark or grainy, that's no fun for me. The subject matter is very dark and not to my liking in some of the theme. With this said, give the game a try for yourself, but it's not for me.

I rate this game: "PORK BELLY"

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre, but it’s not for me.
‘ ‘
(o)

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Aug 30, 11 9:42 AM
SPOILER ALERT; i don't have issues with your basic battle of good and evil but this game gave me the creeps and i didnt get passed the first 20 minutes. i'd like to say something clever about the graphics, gameplay or hint button but frankly i didnt notice. they all seem pretty much the same to me. likewise the generic battle of good and evil. like i said before though this one went "****" with the crystal ball, "clang" with the tarot cards and "run like the wind" when i got to the creepy door. shudder. as someone else said "we know how the story ends". i think i'll pass.

rue23
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by rue23 on Aug 30, 11 10:50 AM
I wanted to like this game as I am fascinated by this era in English history, but can't make this a buy The HOGs are too easy and the mini games ( which are my favorite part of any HOG or adventure game) are REALLY easy so far anyway.
I only played the demo.
I do really like the atmosphere and voice-overs but the mechanics are too clunky; sometimes you don't know what to do next even though scenes repeat a lot. It does seem like an older game; less sophisticated than what we are used to now.
PS I must stand up for baseball; some of us love this sport!!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 30, 11 11:37 AM
Have enjoyed playing this trial game. Like murder mysteries and the voice over was actually quite good. Enjoyed that for a change. Haven't had any problems so far and graphics aren't as crisp and clear as I would like but music makes up for it. A good game.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 30, 11 11:41 AM
This isn't a bad game, but it is just not worth the full price. The voice was OK, but I found the scenes were too dark. I turned the music off, and the moaning and groaning was annoying. I got just too bored with it, so I stopped playing. For all who like it, happy gaming!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Aug 30, 11 12:44 PM
My review will be based on 31 minutes of play as after that time the demo ran out

This game from Casual Arts is a nice competent H0G; good clear graphics & I like the style of the artwork. I would point out thought that although a red colouring to the 'vision' scenes is a good idea it really was over the top in spades. It made it hard to make out any detail in these scenes (these were full widescreen)

As Cherb pointed out earlier this is not a game for those who do not care for crystal balls or tarot cards as you play the part of a clairvoyant who takes rather too much laudenum. Sorry folks but as an East End Londoner I have to point out that the accent is not Cockney; more like somebody from Essex , however it is not objectionable & it was a pleasant change to have a voiceover.

In easy mode the hint button recharges at around 30 seconds & there are glints everywhere, in hard mode hint at 1 minute & no glints. However both modes have red sparkles where there is a H0 mode; it is a shame that these were not left out for the hard mode.

You have a notebook which gives some excellent historical details in small snippets (which were accurate during my short game time) & a little way into the game you will find a map that can be used to jump to different locations. The mini-games were very easy & I am hoping that these may get a little more taxing further into the game.

The music was not very memorable but there are a lot of background noises: creaking floorboards, footsteps, screams, laughter to add ambience. Always a love of mine

I will buy this as it is is one of my favourite murder mystery stories but I may need a good pair of glasses to offset all that red

krisamata
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by krisamata on Aug 30, 11 2:10 PM
I did not enjoy this one at all, thought it was extremely slow, and the penalty for random clicking is super annoying. only played 15 minutes, too boring, puzzles are waaaaaaaaaaaaay to simple and easy.

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Aug 30, 11 3:43 PM
I find the game boring i am so used to playing the wonderful CE games that are more challenging then this one yes the graphics are good but not keeping me interested enough to finish (yes i bought it with credit) but i will file it away until i dont get a game that i like for a couple of weeks

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 30, 11 3:44 PM
I was really looking forward to this game but when I found out it contains a lot of occult-like themes, I was so disappointed! I thought it would just be a good mystery. Due to my personal beliefs, this one isn't for me. Thank you, cherbtoo, for mentioning the parts of the game that are offensive to some. I really appreciate that!

[Post New]by shylady152 on Aug 30, 11 4:11 PM
I really did not like this game. To me it was a little bit boring. And with a few tech. problems made it a no buy for me.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 30, 11 4:52 PM
Holy guacamole , this is one long game. I started around 9 am and just finished it at 7;10 pm. Course I took a lunch and din din break .

Can't figure how this would have to do with the occult as I only saw signs of the zodiac.Oh well this was one heck of a game to play with no walkthrough.

graphics A
music A- way down low
voice A volume down low
costume design A+ with the time
length A+

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Aug 30, 11 4:59 PM
I wanted to like this - I really did. But having played the Large File Adventure Game: Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper, this just couldn't match it, in my eyes. I don't mind the dark and sinister theme, it just didn't grab me like the LFA did. The story moved along a bit too slowly for me, and while the British accents were very good, I could read much faster than they spoke, resulting in me closing out the speech window early.

The graphics were just so-so for me, even though it looked like a fairly good story line. The puzzles were not very impressive to me and I quickly tired of the tarot cards. It would have been interesting to see how the story ended, but I wasn't Wow'ed enough to purchase the game after the demo ended. To those who have purchased and played, I hope you enjoy it and Happy Gaming.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Aug 30, 11 5:15 PM
I tried this game for myself. I don't mind looking for H O's, but some of these are obscure. It's a really easy game and I might enjoy it as a DD, but this is below par. This could have been a great game!!

Go to: