Re:Reviews for Profiler: The Hopscotch Killer

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 8, 11 10:54 AM
I didn't think it would be as good as it was but enjoyed it till the trial expired. I don't think it's worth an SE price but would buy it at the DD price. I liked the puzzles,even if they were older but they weren't bad. ****'s were on the easy side but a change from the new improved ones they have now.. all in all.. I liked it..

[Post New]by Allawishas on Nov 8, 11 10:58 AM
I played the demo and I am pretty sure I almost finished it in the hour I had to play. I am not a fan of this developer and I certainly would never buy any of their games. Also, doesn't anyone double check these games before they send them out to be bought? In one of the hidden object scenes, the clue said lady bird? It was in fact a ladybug I was supposed to find. I really can't see how Big Fish or the developer is making any money on this. Definitely a no buy me or any of their games in the future.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 8, 11 12:49 PM
Allawishas wrote:I played the demo and I am pretty sure I almost finished it in the hour I had to play. I am not a fan of this developer and I certainly would never buy any of their games. Also, doesn't anyone double check these games before they send them out to be bought? In one of the hidden object scenes, the clue said lady bird? It was in fact a ladybug I was supposed to find. I really can't see how Big Fish or the developer is making any money on this. Definitely a no buy me or any of their games in the future.

Ladybird is the UK English term for "ladybug" so it's not really wrong!

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Nov 8, 11 1:30 PM
The first poster/reviewer had a great word: Ghastly. I literally played the first SEVEN minutes. Nope. Sorry. This is a no buy. It was "Ghastly.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Nov 8, 11 1:38 PM
This is a NO BUY for me. Played exactly 2 minutes and scrambled to find the exit. I hate it when the screen moves around (putting in my name I almost fell off my chair) and then to find objects right off the bat after doing nothing but meet someone just put me off. I don't follow the story lines too closely but there has to be SOME story to get me hooked. NOT my kind of game at all. I'll happily wait for something different. Isn't it great that we can try before we buy???

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 8, 11 2:46 PM
How many times do we have to say "stop making the screen move constantly" before someone actually listens!!! I don't mind moving the screen from side to side...myself, but I get very anxious when the game does it for me. I didn't even get past the beginning game page and deleted it. I would love to demo these games, but PLEASE STOP MAKING THE SCREEN MOVE. No buy for me until they fix this nonsense.

mlbmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by mlbmama on Nov 8, 11 5:07 PM
What a waste of my time!

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Nov 8, 11 6:30 PM
Very, very, nice game. I enjoyed the trial, good detective story. I like variety, so keep them coming. By the way, where I live at the sun is shinning, so, must be cloudy every where else. Hm . . . m . . . m . . . m?

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 8, 11 8:34 PM
I didn't like this game either. Many reasons:
you are penelized for to many wrong clicks, the screen goes black.
not everthing you are looking for is given to you all at once
the objects are just not easy to find.

This is a very poor game. I'm sure it will be offered as a DD soon, even at $2.99, that is to much money for this game.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 8, 11 8:50 PM
I can never understand why people get so worked up with HdO games because the screen moves. It only moves at the beginning of a scene to let you know that you can move the screen around to look for objects; otherwise you have to use a mouse action to move the screen. From the way it's constantly brought up, you'd think that the game was mimicking a ride on rough seas!

I played the whole demo and I enjoyed the game. It's not going to be for people who like their H0 items large and distinct; there were small items and the images were grainy. Some of the items were only visible when larger items were cleared. The H0 inventory lists in a scroll on the bottom of the scene, so you have to find the items listed for more items to be added. There are also a number of scenes where you have to find multiples of certain types of items. You can earn extra hints or extra time depending on whether you're playing in untimed or timed modes. There are M3 and assembling pictures mini-puzzles.

The story takes place in NYC in 1974, when a new female detective is being partnered up with a detective who's about to retire. I liked that they made the lead a black woman with an afro; a nice change of pace from the usual run-of-the-mill blondes. As a player you go out with the detectives to examine murder scenes. I liked that they included the corpses in the scene when the detectives arrived. I viewed four murder scenes; the first three were clear-cut for the detectives but the fourth one's obvious solution has raised doubts in the rookie detective's mind and she decides to investigate further.

People have commented that this is a short game. I don't know. I had just finished my fourth murder scene and was just starting the Identi-Kit mini-game with the woman from the orphanage when my trial ended. If anyone has completed the game, I'd appreciate knowing how much of the game is left after this point, because I'm curious as to the reason why the teacher died but want to make sure there's enough game play left to justify the purchase.

If you've got issues with HdO games, then don't bother with it because your mind's already made up. But if you want to while a way some time with a game that does actually have a mystery to solve, you might want to give the game a try.

[Post New]by Tripletsn1 on Nov 8, 11 9:30 PM
Hear, Hear, Bpup! While it is true that the graphics & navigation among scenes in this game was pretty dated, and some objects were pretty small, and some mini-games were ridiculously simple, I think it's a mistake to avoid this game altogether because of the developer. I too have never been impressed with ANY HdO game in the past, but I found this storyline more compelling than any of their previous games, and like you I'm hoping some intrepid fishie finished the game so I can find out how far I got in the hour I played... I was bummed when the hour was up but have a sneaking suspicion I'm pretty close to the end. I think if players go in knowing what to expect, they won't be disappointed. MCF or Echoes of the Past, it ain't!! but I'm not wishing I could have that hour of my life back, either. Definitely worth a try, certainly not a buy for me unless it shows up as a DD (and not even then if I'm more than 60% finished). I'd give it a 5 out of 10; maybe a C-. Great review, Bpup; I'll be on the lookout for a walkthrough; happy gaming, fishies!

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 9, 11 8:55 PM
In order to simplify things I've decided to cut and paste my last review of a Hdo game to this and all future Hdo games. Their games are all variations on the same theme(and a pretty dull theme it is) so why should my review follow suit?
Sooooo.....
I was excited to see this game this morning because I thought that the storyline sounded interesting.
Downloaded it.
Opened it up.
Saw the HdO logo.
Closed it.
Deleted it.
Better luck tomorrow everyone!
I'm tempted to contact to ask how many more of these crappy games by Hdo are they contracted to sell

[Post New]by 12Peaches on Nov 11, 11 2:04 PM
I agree, this is an awful game-quality, story line, games. A no buy for me.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 12, 11 5:44 AM
Just my opinion for new fishes let them try the game, sometimes i see reviews and I want try a game, then i got to thinking give the game a chance, so I been doing that a lot lately and some of the games i like and some I don't.. but at least i gave a game a chance..I guess it depends on the person of there like's and dislikes..
I did download the game and I will see if i like it or not, Be back later with my thoughts,,
Happy gaming fishes!!

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Nov 12, 11 8:17 AM
I just finished the game, it took me a little less than 3 hours. I usually do not like the hdo games, but I did enjoy this one. Oh, I skipped a couple of mini games, and I am a slow player.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 12, 11 10:29 AM
I finished the demo and I thought the game was fun, when it comes out in DD I will buy I really did enjoy the game..Thx BF and DEV's,,

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Nov 14, 11 6:01 PM
I do not understand the nastiness about this game. I played the entire demo, and I thought it was fun! It starts out with relatively simple cases, but the story becomes more complex and interesting as you go along. It reminds me a lot of the "Christmasville" game: fun, not too difficult, interesting story and characters, probably very good for someone new to hidden object adventure games. I recommend it.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 15, 11 8:39 AM
Only played a few minutes. The screen was really dark and you could barely see any objects, and I have an older monitor right now so changing the settings is not going to be happening for these dark games. The music...annoying. Really poor game. A definite NO.

And I always give games a fighting chance..I have played many that I didn't like at all through half the demo and then bought it because the game picked up....

Edited on 11/15/2011 at 8:40:40 AM PST

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Nov 20, 11 10:49 AM
OK so with 56 minutes of free demo time left.....I quit ! I have played this kind of game before, and for me it's a definate no-buy. It's straight up hidden objects, there's no storyline no voices just cartoon like drawings. Sorry but this is a no thank you for me!!

[Post New]by SassyTeffie on Nov 20, 11 8:49 PM
I played for about two minutes and deleted the trial. The need to scroll back and forth in the scenes makes this game a "not if it was the only game left" for me.

Go to: