Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac

[Post New]by HereF1shyF1shy on Sep 16, 11 11:14 AM
I just bought this after completing the demo. I also finished the demo for the CE version but decided to wait until the SE came out. The graphics are nice. The story is indeed pretty creepy/macabre. The music is a bit repetitive as well, so I'm playing with the sound off. I like that there aren't too many HOG scenes and it's more puzzle/"wander and wonder" based. Those are exactly the types of games I enjoy most, so it was a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by emilialucinda on Sep 16, 11 11:33 AM
Valdy wrote:
dudleythepug wrote:I completely agree w/ Hannah57. Sick, so sick of HOG games. I also am considering cancelling my membership. I have 5 game credits but haven't found a game worthy of using them on in months! Thought this might be one, but it's another mental hospital story.

I am not sure why you want to make this comment in a HOG forum. I don`t care for TM games, but it would never occur to me to go to a TM forum and tell everyone that I am sick of TM games. I just don`t play them and leave those forums to those who do enjoy these games.

Seriously! I came on here to see the reviews of the game and I am reading everything but that!!!!

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Sep 16, 11 11:39 AM
Well said Valdy! I love HOG games - mainly cos I'm useless at adventure or time management games but I respect those fishies who enjoy a challenge. Takes all sorts to make up a lively pond.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Sep 16, 11 11:53 AM
csmith116 wrote:
brookings wrote:This game loaded just fine, but the activation took so long, that by the time it was finished, so was my trial time! This has been happening alot since the installation of the new game manager.

I sent info to the tech team and they posted how to download the old game manager. I did that so maybe it would help you.
Bessie Mae

Thank you Bessie Mae, I'm just so disgusted with this game manager. I can't even get it to open this morning.

[Post New]by bigcat101 on Sep 16, 11 12:13 PM
I agree with Hannah57 and anyone who is TIRED of HOGS and IHOGS! where are the pure adventure games? How about another Syberia ,S.H. The Awakened? Nothing wrong with HOGS and people who love them since i used to be one of them ,but there are other customers who pay their dues every month looking for a great deal on a Variety of Different games,not just HOGS plus CE HOGS.Come on help us Adventure gamers enjoy this site again.Please.!!!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 16, 11 12:44 PM
emilialucinda wrote:
Valdy wrote:
dudleythepug wrote:I completely agree w/ Hannah57. Sick, so sick of HOG games. I also am considering cancelling my membership. I have 5 game credits but haven't found a game worthy of using them on in months! Thought this might be one, but it's another mental hospital story.

I am not sure why you want to make this comment in a HOG forum. I don`t care for TM games, but it would never occur to me to go to a TM forum and tell everyone that I am sick of TM games. I just don`t play them and leave those forums to those who do enjoy these games.

Seriously! I came on here to see the reviews of the game and I am reading everything but that!!!!

Yes! If people do have a problem with too many HOGs/ not enough TMs/Adventure games... fair enough... but you guys should be posting in the Chit Chat Forum and not in a specific game forum which is set up for people to discuss that SPECIFIC game.

[Post New]by Sonseeahray27 on Sep 16, 11 12:57 PM
Hey! Today I finished the CE of Twisted Lands: Insomniac and I absolutely loved it. The bonus chapter explained the background for this weird epidemic and I think it was great.
The minigames were a bit annoying from time to time but the graphics were well done and I loved the story.
Many questions were answered but new ones came up as quickly. Great!
I am hoping for a third installement of this just to get to know what happened to Angela and the kids.

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Sep 16, 11 1:35 PM
hannah57 wrote:This game has a walkthrough and if you follow it, you could finish it in under an hr. No buy here.

Why would you buy a game just to do a walkthrough?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 11 1:41 PM
Well, I bought the SE today, and I just now finished the game. Took me quite a few hours to finish, and I really enjoyed it.

In fact, I think I enjoyed this game even more than I did the first one, and again, there was a surprise ending.

Although the graphics could have been a tad better, they were not bad at all. Gameplay was fun and there was lots to do - you need to put on your running shoes with this game.

There were quite a few nice puzzles. The only thing I didn`t like was that the SKIP button took quite a while to fill up. I mean, if I know I can`t do a puzzle, I`d rather just skip it and not hang around, staring at it, watching it to fill up, so that I can click it and then continue with the game.

Other than that, I had no complains.

[Post New]by HereF1shyF1shy on Sep 16, 11 1:41 PM
JoBee1215 wrote:
hannah57 wrote:This game has a walkthrough and if you follow it, you could finish it in under an hr. No buy here.

Why would you buy a game just to do a walkthrough?

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, a player could potentially finish *any* game (not just this one) ridiculously fast by using the walkthrough the entire time.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 16, 11 3:49 PM
I just finished this game and enjoyed it. Not the best game I ever played, but I liked it and am glad I got it. I have the first Twisted Lands in a CE and because of budget reasons, bought this as a SE. The hint system was excellent showing you which direction to go and would even show you what object to use if you asked. The H0s were not too difficult with no impossible to see objects and none completely disguised objects. The puzzles were fun, but I had to skip two. One where you use arrows to move tiles to match the images (I'm never good at those) and the last puzzle (didn't know what was wanted). There was a lot to do and many places to go which IMO gives it re-play value. HOWEVER, it did not fill my screen. I did not demo the game, read the reviews and might have reconsidered the purchase if I'd known about the screen issue. I know some Fishies don't mind, but I like my screened covered.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Sep 16, 11 3:57 PM
csmith116 wrote:
brookings wrote:This game loaded just fine, but the activation took so long, that by the time it was finished, so was my trial time! This has been happening alot since the installation of the new game manager.

I sent info to the tech team and they posted how to download the old game manager. I did that so maybe it would help you.
Bessie Mae

please tell us what you did to get the old game manager back. would be greatly appreciated by some of us fishies.

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Sep 16, 11 4:47 PM
Valdy wrote:

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Sep 16, 11 5:12 PM
Well I agree its better than the 1st but when I got to the end it was like I'm done? Ok it didnt end like I thought it would which makes me wonder will there be a part 3?

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 16, 11 5:42 PM
well, i enjoyed the first installment... everything seemed to flow, you just went with the story and watched how everything unfolded... you worked through obstacles and uncovered hidden truths... and it worked...

now, i've seen this side and i have to say that i really don't care for the way they've put this one together... take a step forward, then get an injection and start over... take another step forward and get another injection and start all over again... ??? what?!?

the graphics in this installment are little better than sub-par and the sound/music could take a little improvement... if not for the game having been previously released as a CE, i would think that the developer mistakenly released a beta in place of the real thing... it's just that "not good enough" IMO...

i was hoping that this would surpass 'shadow town,' but i just can't give it the

sorry, but this one is a pass

Baywolfe
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Baywolfe on Sep 16, 11 5:50 PM
I don't have any problem with them trying to come up with a new twist like switching you back and forth. I do think there are WAY too many cut scenes. I've played 40 minutes of the demo and there has to be close to a dozen.

I guess my only other complaint is that it's really kind of easy. And this is without using the walk-through and on Expert mode.

[Post New]by doodlebugg1 on Sep 16, 11 6:12 PM
Hi, I am having trouble solving the telescope. I found and installed the lens now what? Ant tips?

ayunp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by ayunp on Sep 16, 11 7:32 PM
To Crazy8 Club -
To get BFG to send a link to the old GM, you have to take the survey (in Chit-Chat Corner) about the new GM - and/or contact Customer Service. I had problems with the new one and after three or four exchanges, got a way to install the old one. There is, however, a warning that the new "old" one will be pre-empted eventually as they work out more bugs.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Sep 16, 11 8:52 PM
I tried the demo and purchased with a PCC. The game is wonderful fun and I don't think it matters a bit if you did the first Twisted Lands game. There are diaries and such scattered about that give you some back story on that and, for me, I didn't care a bit that I got a bit turned around. I told my DH that I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I was having a good time doing it!...lol...The hidden object scenes were good, the puzzles are fine - maybe a bit easy for the really proficient puzzle-solver, but just challenging enough for me that I felt really good when I didn't resort to the skip button. The graphics and art work are great - I love the colors and attention to details that they provide. The music was unobtrusive, but I almost always turn the music down when I play - I don't turn it off - just down - so it doesn't compete with the television.
It's a little creepy, and I love a little creepy - and you can get a bit confused when you end up somewhere you weren't expecting, but that's part of the fun.
All in all - I think it's a good game - entertaining and engaging.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 16, 11 10:41 PM
I got through 12 minutes of the game before I couldn't take anymore. It was the same with the CE. While I do enjoy some of the dark, spooky HOGs, this game is just plain weird and sort of sick. Way too much blood in the beginning, weird monsters, and ghastley visions for me. In fact, I can't say anything really good about the game.

In my 12 minutes, I got the main character out of the assylum and she was walking around the island. While that probably wasn't very far, it was enough for me to realize that I certainly didn't want to continue. I never cared for the first Twisted Lands and never purchased it. This one seemed to be even more odd than the first.

I usually try to find something positive to say about games, but I can't think of one thing with this one. The graphics are dark and dreary, the music strange and irritating after the first 5 minutes, the storyline was so disturbing that I didn't care whether it made sense or not. All I knew is I could delete this one quick enough. Sorry, but a definite "no buy" for me.

Edited on 09/16/2011 at 10:47:20 PM PST

Go to: