CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 18, 11 4:11 AM
Awesome game! Although it's a CE I've bought it right away, even without demoing!
That's how much I like this Mystery Legends series AND how much I trust these devs to deliver crisp, beautiful, quality games.

And this one is all that. It also comes with enough choices to serve each and everyone's desktop and gamemode wishes. Love the look and feel of this story too and the voice-overs are great.

Excellent work PlayPond! You've done it again!

5 out of 5. Absolute winner!

CasualGran

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Sep 18, 11 5:04 AM
This is a high quality addition to the Mystery Legends line of games. Although I am still very hurt that they did not give us the sequel to Phantom of the Opera, I have to admit that this is a very good fairy tale story. The download for me was fast and I had no problems accessing the game.

At first I thought it was going to be too sugary sweet, but as you travel through many locations, you find a wonderful mix of puzzles and conundrums, and not just sugar and spice cutesy. I admit to being completely and totally stumped a few times regarding what to do or where to go next.

The graphics and cut scenes are excellent, and there are relatively few h.o.g. scenes, making this more of an adventure than just a hidden object game. You do receive a nasty splash of purple all over the screen for a misclick penalty, but the hidden object scenes are nicely arranged and not just junkpiles. You have the 20 objects to find puzzles, like they had in Phantom, but these are set up based on different fairy tales, which is nice.

The map tells you where you have objectives to meet, but is not a clickable "jump to" map. The strategy guide is more like UHS hints and is not very helpful all of the time, with hints on what to do next and no jpegs of all the solutions.

It doesn't have quite the magic of Phantom of the Opera for me, so I can only give it 4 - 1/2 . I've been playing for 4 1/2 hours with no technical glitches or problems, other than being stumped, and judging from the map, it looks like I'm not even 2/3 of the way through, and then there is the bonus game. I wasn't planning on buying another CE this month, but I'm glad I did - the quality and entertainment was worth the price. Thanks, BFG - but now please give us the sequel to Phantom!

===================

ETA: Finished the game in about 5 hours. The bonus game was 30 to 45 minutes more and very exciting! Lots of action! One creature I encountered and had to defeat made me say "Wow!" when it first appeared. (Nice touch with the fire, Devs!) The story is there to read afterward, as was in Phantom, and there is a score, so you can play again and try to better your time and accuracy. All in all, excellent game!!

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 7:22:43 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Sep 18, 11 5:12 AM
As I have said in previous posts I try to stay away from CE's. once in a great while you run into one you just can't pass up. This is one of them.

I have played 40 min of the demo and read some of the reviews and am ready to buy it.

I loved everything about this except the Strategy Guide. Right now, in the demo, I am stuck on the pressure gauge outside a cottage. Can't tell by the guide what to do so I have posted in forums for help.

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 18, 11 5:13 AM
Team SD I can see why you did not give it an A for the hog scenes. Talk about a junk pile!

I love the story of Beauty and The Beast but did I ever mention that I hate spiders! Whenever II do a beta test I ALWAYS! thank the developers when I don't see any spiders. Dang, and this one happens to have a very very large one! Drat!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 18, 11 5:14 AM
Just finished the demo in 42 minutes and thought it was lovely Phantom being one of my fave games, I knew I would have to give this one a try.

Perfect graphics, atmospheric music (the same as in Phantom?) and good quality cut scenes. Not too many H0 scenes, and some cute puzzles. I like it - a lot. I will definitely be getting this game, when I get paid. From what I've seen, it seems worth the CE price and I am looking forward to getting it and getting stuck in!

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Sep 18, 11 5:38 AM
Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast CE is a must buy for me.

PlayPond offers excellent graphics, animations, voice-overs, storylines and easy navigation throughout the game.

I had no technical problems, screen resolution is perfect!!!, download/installation took less than 6 minutes and the Game Manager 3.0 works just fine for me.

Thank you BFG and PlayPond for offering this wonderful game!!

and

Faylyn

ETA: I just finished playing and it took 6 hours 10 minutes. I enjoyed every minute of the CE and am very happy I bought it!

Edited on 09/25/2011 at 8:44:51 AM PST

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on Sep 18, 11 5:42 AM
I played 20 minutes of the trial, and just had to buy it! I'm not much of a fairy tale person, but I am not finding this one to be too cutesy. (No offense, but fairies with squeaky voices put me over the edge!) If there are any critters like this, I haven't run across them yet. It feels a lot like the Frog Prince except it isn't frag objects. Kind of a cross between Frog and Phantom of the Opera. Graphics are clear. In the H0 scenes I came across, I found the objects to be kind of small because you don't zoom into a scene. But they weren't out of scale or color-on-color.

As Rebeca_Lily said, this seems to be more of an adventure game, but not so hard that you don't have a clue about what to do next.

It's finished downloading now, so I'll come back if things are not as I had expected.

Edit - Aaw crud! Spoke too soon. Squeaky leprechaun! Man I hope she goes away...

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 5:49:27 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 18, 11 5:48 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Because there is big difference between Phantom of the Opera and this game. The Phantom was mainly HOG Interactive game - this game is mainly Adventure game, with a few HOGs only to satisfy my HOG hunger.

After 6 years of HOGs I'm more than ready for more Adventure and less HOG. I don't mind an occasional HOG here & there but quite a few games (like Voodoo Chronicles) tend to overdoooooo the HOG genre till my eyes bleed. (eg. "I just did this same HOG scene one minute ago!!!") ("And This one too!!!) ("And THIS one TOO!!!")

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Sep 18, 11 5:57 AM
sunidayz wrote:After the ridiculously long download, almost 2 hrs, I played the demo and finished it with 15 mins to spare which I still hate. (Why are all developers doing that now? Cheating you out of time?) ...........

Since the demo is FREE, how can you consider that they are "cheating" you out of anything? The purpose of the demo is to see if 1) the game plays on your computer, and 2) if you like it enough to buy it. Since just a couple of years ago larger games like this were not offered with any demo, you had to buy blindly, I'm happy with the sample versions.

My review: I loved it. There were many nice surprises, like the unique way to find the key (who knew my volunteer work with the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts would pay off like this?) and the strategy guide - accessible during the demo - with the same just-what-you-need way of delivering the clues that was used in the last Haunted legends. I like that because I tend to accidently read more than I intend to when I read a normal strategy guide.

The music is nice so far, the graphics are stunning, and it's a buy for me.

I have a soft spot for Beauty and the Beast anyway - I loved the Disney movie, I always loved the basic story of looking past physical appearance to see the real person inside, and my kids were involved in the production of Beautry and the Beast as their high school musical last year. My daughter worked stage crew, and my youngest son was 2nd violin in the pit orchestra (and his tutor was 1st violin!) After listening to the score played live daily for at least an hour, over a period of nearly 3 months, AND listening to the tape of the Broadway score every time we were in the car so he could "teach" his ear the phrasing, we never got sick of it.

For those having the stopping issue, I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't had any problems, but I don't run McAfee (I've had too many issues in the past with it.) I know from other threads that BFG is working on a fix.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I love the voiceovers so far, but I absolutely HATE the misclick penalty, a very annoying purple splat that covers the whole screen. And maybe it was the time of day that I downloaded, but I was shocked when it finished in less than 5 minutes!

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 6:14:53 AM PST

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Sep 18, 11 6:10 AM
Oh, what a wonderful Sunday morning game!! After playing all the dark and gloomy people being possessed games, it is nice to have a nice, cheerful game.The graphics are nice and clear, there are three levels of difficulty, the music is OK, as long as I have it turned down low, and, my favorite part, a map. I most certainly will be purchasing this one! Happy gaming to all, have a great day and be nice to each other!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Sep 18, 11 6:11 AM
I do like it, although the wicked enchantress is really a bit over the top, isn't she? At any rate, voices are great, graphics are very pleasant, background sound doesn't make me cringe. It might be an interesting story going farther into the game (I've only played 30 minutes), but it doesn't grab me as a CE. I really hate the SG. That's rather odd, because I used to love the UHS website. Now, sometimes, I need pictures.

So, although I like the game, I believe I will wait until the SE comes out. I have to say, I don't think it's as good as Phantom was but I see others think it better so as usual, it's a matter of personal preference.

desandnrs
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by desandnrs on Sep 18, 11 6:19 AM
carolina67 wrote:Because of the problems yesterday about the games cutting off after a few minutes of play, I'm just curious which version of the game manager you all are using. It appears you aren't having any problems playing it.
I did not know we had a choice in the matter of which version of GM to use. I certainly would not use the new one if I had anything to say about it. I have had nothing but trouble since the new version came out. Right now I am having problems trying to purchase games while the sale is on, and when I try to do so, I get kicked out, Yes I have contacted BF and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully before the sale ends today.

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Sep 18, 11 6:23 AM
Beautiful game! I love when a game like this comes along and breaks up the dark and sinister ones I typically play. I have only played part of the demo and was drawn in, so I've purchased and am downloading the full version at this moment.

Repeating what others have said - gorgeous graphics, voiceovers are wonderful, relaxing background music, more adventure and less hog, puzzles are varied, great storyline.

I love fairy tales and this one is enchanting.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 18, 11 6:33 AM
A very good game. Indeed more an adventuregame then a HOG, but thats fine with me because i get bored when i get an overdose of hidden object scenes.

Three difficulty levels too choose from: i did choose normal. You get the sparkles for the hidden object scenes but you have to search inventory objects yourself. Quite challenging sometimes, in a positive way

The graphics in the usual scenes are superb: sharp and detailed. Unfortunately the Hidden object scenes have more grainy graphics and they are very junk-pileish. The developers could have done better on them.

The puzzles have the right level of challenge for me: not too easy, not too hard. A minor point for me where the hidden object scenes you did get after finding a purple crystal: you always had to look for 20 roses, a bit boring IMO.

There is an annoying female leprechaun in this game you have to 'pass' at a certain point. Her voice is almost as irritating as that of the Princess in Isabella, but fortunately you dont have her with you through the entire game.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 18, 11 6:39 AM
Continued review)

A fun character was the robot dog. I laughed very hard when he exploded
(Don't worry, you have the change to safe him right after that.....). Another cute character is the little robot on the spinning wheel.

What is also great about this game: i am basing my review on playing this game for like 3 hours. As far i can tell i am only HALF past the length of the regular game. So this seems like a very long game, considering i am a fast player. It seems like this game will offer 6 maybe even 7 hours of gameplay. And that positive, considering the dissapointingly short CE's Big Fish has offered lately.

A minor complaint: lots of flashing / lightning effects in this game, which could be irritating for people who are sensitive to it. I think they overdone these effects a bit.

Right now i am giving this game: 4 out of 5 stars.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Sep 18, 11 6:53 AM
desandnrs wrote:
carolina67 wrote:Because of the problems yesterday about the games cutting off after a few minutes of play, I'm just curious which version of the game manager you all are using. It appears you aren't having any problems playing it.
I did not know we had a choice in the matter of which version of GM to use. I certainly would not use the new one if I had anything to say about it. I have had nothing but trouble since the new version came out. Right now I am having problems trying to purchase games while the sale is on, and when I try to do so, I get kicked out, Yes I have contacted BF and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully before the sale ends today.

I checked that out today. You can get what they call a roll back version of the GM if you are having troubles. I'm stuck with really long downloads. But if you have a
look at the Announcements forum it tells you about how to get the old GM back until they have a fix....... lets keep our fingers crossed!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 18, 11 6:53 AM
So far I have played for 3 hours (including the demo hour) and am nowhere near the end yet.

This is such a wonderful game, with cute characters thrown in as well. Gameplay is fantastic, and so are the puzzles.

I really liked "Phantom of the Opera", but I just adore this game.

More of the same, please!

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Sep 18, 11 6:57 AM
What a lovely game--music, artwork, voice overs, widescreen. The best, IMO, is how unique it is. Every scene you go into has a different surprise. I just bought a CE yesterday and swore I would not buy another this weekend but this is a must have!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 18, 11 7:05 AM
jennsmom wrote:I do like it, although the wicked enchantress is really a bit over the top, isn't she? At any rate, voices are great, graphics are very pleasant, background sound doesn't make me cringe. It might be an interesting story going farther into the game (I've only played 30 minutes), but it doesn't grab me as a CE. I really hate the SG. That's rather odd, because I used to love the UHS website. Now, sometimes, I need pictures.

So, although I like the game, I believe I will wait until the SE comes out. I have to say, I don't think it's as good as Phantom was but I see others think it better so as usual, it's a matter of personal preference.

Yes she is.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 7:06:13 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 18, 11 7:07 AM
This review is based on the demo version only.
Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast is a "what if" ending of the fairy tale. As in previous games, Play Pond likes to write their own stories and I must say that I found this one better than the one in "Phantom". The graphics are also better than in previous games with the hidden objects not so tiny and difficult to find.

The initial options allow you to choose widescreen or regular monitor or windowed mode and also has separate selections controlling music, FX, voices and ambient sounds. The game offers three modes of play: Easy (sparkles on all active areas, silhouettes for hidden objects, inventory items glow on usable areas) Normal (sparkles on active areas, silhouettes for hidden objects) and Expert (sparkles on hidden object areas and puzzles). I chose "hard" mode and was not disappointed with the feel of the gameplay it provided, except (and this is a personal thing) I feel there are too many hints woven into the journal and in-line game descriptions you get when you click on screen areas which serve to defeat the purpose of hard mode. (i.e. when you click on the birds in the cottage screen, you're told "poor birds...perhaps the cellar has birdseed").

The puzzles are cute,(who couldn't love "RoboDog") but not difficult and most of the solutions are picked up along the way and stored in your journal.

It's a game that's done very well graphically and technically. I found the overall gameplay to be smooth with no noticeable lag or drag between scenes or clicking problems. I believe it's a game that will be highly successful for this team and many will enjoy it.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 8:09:06 AM PST

Go to: