Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 22, 11 7:32 AM
I didn't know if I liked this game. But I have no other game to play, I decide to buy this game. And to my suprise I am going to like this game. The grapics getting better in the game and also the HOS.

The only thing that I not like is the SG. Everytime the SG went back to pag. 1

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 22, 11 8:06 AM
This review is based on the demo version.
Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor is definitely one for the "dark and eerie" side. As a warning, those who are offended by demons, possession, dark arts, etc., will want to avoid this one (don't even demo).

Up front, the game offers full or widescreen options with a choice for custom cursor. There are separate sliders for music/sound/environment, as well as two choices for gaming: Casual, which recharges hints faster and sparkles areas of interest and Advanced, which does not sparkle areas of interest and slows down hint recharges. The strategy guide viewable in the demo is only for the demo, so no luck in knowing how many chapters; however, it doesn't bookmark to last page viewed. While reading the General Tips, I noted that it states that solutions to some mini-games are random. If that is true, it gives some replayability points to the game.

The story is one of a friend disappearing. She turns up in a run-down mansion with a history of the owner family practicing the "dark arts". It is soon learned from exploration and diary pages that she is being held captive by her boyfriend, who seems quite intent on using her in his next dark ritual and as more than just an on-looker, if you get my drift.

The graphics are excellent, crisp, dark and brooding, as befitting the atmosphere. I loved the musical score and found it mesmerizing (if not hypnotic) and very befitting the mood and atmosphere. The game play itself is very smooth with no delay between scenes. The cut scenes play seamlessly, without delay or jerkiness. The HOS scenes are junkpile style, without an over abundance of junk. Some of the objects are well hidden, but I only found a couple to be small (gears). The custom cursor worked well for me without being "clicky picky" or dragging. The puzzles are on the easy side, but they are done with freshness and there are some unique ones in the mix. I played in Advanced mode and didn't find the game any easier than any other iHOG.

All in all, I found this game enjoyable. It's a dark and eerie iHOG, which isn't something I clamor for, but it's extremely well done. I think the storyline is well-developed (what a treat!), it's technically superior to many games coming to market and I don't get the feeling I'm just doing a lot of running around just to stretch the game.

So, it's a buy for me. And I'll be back to update my review once I've f

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 8:08:26 AM PST

[Post New]by bellamina1957 on Sep 22, 11 8:08 AM
Like so many other reviews, I too really wanted to like this CE game.
During the demo, I felt what so many others have stated...BORING, it did not hold my interest. I didn't like the HOS because I felt it was so dark, I'm a gamer who refuses to use a hint unless I'm just absolutely stumped and I used about three during the demo. Sorry to say it is a no buy for me not even for a SE or DD. When the demo ended I was relieved because I didn't care to see what happens in the story. Hopefully the dev's will listen to gamers comments about new storyline and brighter HOS.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 22, 11 8:20 AM
Thanks, textrekkie. I also like this game very much.

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Sep 22, 11 8:39 AM
I'm in agreement with textrekkie and Howatch (once I got past the initial access violation error)-I'm enjoying this game. The only variance I would note from textrekkie's post is that I thoroughly enjoy good HOS. Albeit, some of the items were a bit small; in my opinion as well.

The SG in the demo was a bit of a disappointment. It always reverts back to the opening page once closed-grrrrrr. Also, the cursor was very sluggish throughout the demo. Maybe the full version will be different...Other than that, it's a buy for me.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 8:42:27 AM PST

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Sep 22, 11 8:44 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I didn't know if I liked this game. But I have no other game to play, I decide to buy this game. And to my suprise I am going to like this game. The grapics getting better in the game and also the HOS.

The only thing that I not like is the SG. Everytime the SG went back to pag. 1

I was unpleasantly surprised with the SG interface, as well...grrrrrr!

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Sep 22, 11 8:46 AM
Tundei wrote:
Coronagold wrote:But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Why not, Mudrock doesn't make these games, people thank him for making predictions.

Who is this Murdock/Mudrock person anyway?

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 22, 11 8:50 AM
Thoroughly agree with texttrekkie and others who like this game. No issues with playing at all, fills my widescreen monitor, a bit 'sparkly' in casual mode so I shall switch to advanced after buying. Story seems to be moving along quite logically, object searches are fairly plentiful and some items tricky to see but not impossible, rewards for finishing various tasks (e.g. so many object searches without a hint), puzzles so far not overly difficult but not ridiculously easy either.

Only minor gripe would be the use of the same old items in the searches; feathers, padlocks etc. etc. Otherwise I really enjoyed this game and will buy it, bank balance permitting of course!

ETA The piano puzzle (highlight to read): put the paper on the wall and use the coal to transfer the code to the paper. Put the paper on the piano and then it will allow you to play the notes.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 11:01:40 AM PST

[Post New]by Anne69_ on Sep 22, 11 8:56 AM
I just downloaded this game this afternoon and I have already finished it, there is only a couple of hours gameplay. This is something I have found happening a lot with the collectors edition, they are putting more cut scenes and less game play. I think I will start waiting for the standard editions to come out, they just arent worth the extra money, this game especially.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Sep 22, 11 9:05 AM
Imberis wrote:Disclaimer: I played about twenty minutes before the game froze on me, but honestly, that was enough for me.

The graphics are very grainy! Even the non-hidden object scenes are really grainy. The music is pretty irritating after a while and there are no voiceovers for the story. The two puzzles I played were very easy. I did like that there are achievements, but none of them seem too difficult to get. I think I got four of them in the twenty minutes I played. The story feels same old, same old: stuck in a haunted/cursed mansion, trying to free someone you care about. Everything looks dirty and dusty.

My biggest gripes with the game are technical. The game felt very jerky and the cursor sort of "stuck" sometimes. Then the game froze on me, which I haven't had happen in a long time. It also wouldn't let me complete the [really mild spoiler!] piano puzzle. I did everything I was supposed to, but the game kept saying something like, "I don't know what keys to press!" (or something along those lines), even though I found the solution and it was recorded in my journal! Sheesh.

This game is a no-buy for me, even in the standard edition.

I was all set and ready to buy this CE today until I played about 30 mins of the demo and gave up. I agree with all of Imberis's above comments.

Faylyn

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 22, 11 9:09 AM
Based on my experience with the demo, I have to say I too like this game I was a bit worried after reading all the negative reviews I can see what people are saying about "another demonic/old house" game, but obviously I just haven't got as bored with it as others have! (and I also have a terrible memory so have probably forgotten half the similar games I have ever played).

I thought the graphics, were great, the music unobtrusive (I can't even recall what it was like so it obviously didn't annoy me), the three puzzles I did were easy enough (maybe a little too easy, I hope they get a little more tricky as the game goes on) and the general gameplay and handling was good.

Having said this, I will be waiting for the SE because whilst I thought the game was pretty good, I didn't think it was GREAT.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Sep 22, 11 9:13 AM
I am trying this game and already I am disappointed. The SG does not keep your place from the last time it was used. This is frustrating and maddening. You have to click, click to get back to the page you left. This is time consuming.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 22, 11 9:29 AM
fraziely wrote:I'm in agreement with textrekkie and Howatch (once I got past the initial access violation error)-I'm enjoying this game. The only variance I would note from textrekkie's post is that I thoroughly enjoy good HOS. Albeit, some of the items were a bit small; in my opinion as well.

The SG in the demo was a bit of a disappointment. It always reverts back to the opening page once closed-grrrrrr. Also, the cursor was very sluggish throughout the demo. Maybe the full version will be different...Other than that, it's a buy for me.

Thanks to all who liked this game. I was on the fence but now I am buying. I am quoting fraziely because I agree with what she said.

bbelle

27heb49
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by 27heb49 on Sep 22, 11 9:32 AM
I agree with textrekkie's review wholeheartedly.
After taking about 8 hours to play right through, I can say that it definitely wasn't a short game for me.
The story does evolve somewhat, and there were a few "jump out of my skin" moments (could be due to the fact that it's night-time here, and I'm home alone LOL). The game froze on me a couple of times - once about 3/4 through the main game and once in the bonus play, but after Control Alt Del-ing, I was able to get back in and continue playing from where it left off. Hope the devs are going to do something about that!!
The ending left a bit to be desired, IMHO.
I thoroughly recommend that you try it.

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Sep 22, 11 11:22 AM
WOW I think this game is great wish I could afford the CE but will have to wait for the SE unless there is another sale on CE (hint BFG The HOG are nice and bright. So very tired of HOG being shades of brown and grey. The story was sorta interesting. Love walking around to get here and there. So easy to replace my imaginary sneakers with new ones LOL.
Have to find things (I keep notes of what I need, never where I need them) finding things and places keep the old brain working.

Any way if I rated this game it would be GREAT. Can't wait for the SE.

By the way I played wide screen and did not find it grainy.

Have to edit to add I do not like to look at the SG or walkthrough or hit a hint unless I have been stuck for a very long time. Too much fun trying to work it through or find it myself.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 11:25:29 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Sep 22, 11 11:49 AM
fraziely wrote:
Tundei wrote:
Coronagold wrote:But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Why not, Mudrock doesn't make these games, people thank him for making predictions.

Who is this Murdock/Mudrock person anyway?

Mudrock puts out a thread every Monday afternoon with a list of what's coming out during the next week. He doesn't list everything, and occasionally one of the games he lists isn't ready to release during the week they told him it would be available, but usually he has it right.

Look for his thread by clicking the "Forums Home" tab, then looking for the Chit Chat Corner in the list. Click on that, and look for a thread with his name in it - this week it's called "September 19th - Mudrock's Megaloblastic Machine" and it will always be called something similar to that: the date, Mudrock, and two words that also start with "M."

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 22, 11 12:09 PM
I liked the mini games and have to agree it is an easy game....especially for a CE...It was a bit predictable...

I will put it on my wish list for the SE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 22, 11 12:24 PM
Good thing there is no penalty for clicking! Some of the items are so small you can't see them, or are blended into the background. Had to use the hint button a couple of times on this one. If you are going to have background sound, you need to have voice overs. This was a bit dull because of that. Graphics nice, color nice, game play not bad. Games easy. Demo really wasn't long enough to know if I really liked it enough to buy, especially since I couldn't see how many chapters it had to gadge how long it might take me to finish. Will put this one on hold for no.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 22, 11 12:52 PM
Thank you, megwoman, for mentioning that this game has demonic themes. Those of us who are bothered by such themes really appreciate it when a player mentions it. Based on your warning, I know not to download the trial.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 22, 11 2:09 PM
Not a game I will buy.. don't care for the theme and HOG are dark. There have been too many like this and it didn't get my votes for a great game.. Maybe 3 out of 10. Changed my mind, as I got more into it.. I will not purchase at the CE price but will at the SE.. it's more of 5 out of 10..

Edited on 09/24/2011 at 3:31:05 PM PST

Go to: