Re:Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings

[Post New]by jkdfighter on Sep 28, 11 8:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the cut ending...played the demo...liked it and was jut about to pay for the SE...not now though. I'm hoping this does not become a trend because it will seriously effect my desire to purchase games.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 28, 11 9:07 AM
What happened to the REVIEWS in this REVIEW thread!! You are all talking about SE's vs CE's. Surely its not that difficult to start a new thread or put it in the comments section. I've had to mention this before in the Redemption Cemetery Childrens forum. It really is too aggravating for those of us who come to read about the game. (And don't refer me to the CE forum as I NEVER demo or buy them.)

Rant over - Now back to the game review - This is mostly adventure with some HOGs with puzzles. I think the graphics are superb with good voice overs. The premise has been done before (pictures coming to life) but this takes it to another level, because you have lots of scenes coming off the one picture. I like when it tells you that you have nothing left to do in a scene. The puzzles seem very good (the main consideration for me). All in all I shall definitely consider buying this when my punch comes through.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Sep 28, 11 9:18 AM
Classicaljazz wrote:
MsFreddie wrote:And looking at the walkthrough I can truly say that I am super glad I got the CE, because without the 6th chapter (bonus game), this game is incomplete.

So we are offered an incomplete SE game. Not prepared to pay double for a whole game and won't pay a SE price as a cut down version.

Whaaaaat ? ? ? Now, incomplete games are being offered as Standard Editions? I am a person who really gets into the story of a good HOG, so cutting the ending off for a SE is a big deal to me. If the developers are going to start a trend where the ending of the games/stories can only be obtained by purchasing the CE's, I will probably be opting out on the CE's and ALSO the SE's of those particular games.

I refuse to even download the demo for this one.

Thanks MsFreddie for the heads-up on this!

Classicaljazz

I've been away for 2 mos w/a medical problem and am glad to be back but reading the posts here really upsets me. I rarely buy CE's because I don't like the "bonus" stuff and I've found that the "extra play" is usually a short chapter. BUT, to find out that the dev's are lopping off the ending for the SE is appalling. I too, won't be buying either version in protest of this issue.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 9:22:49 AM PST

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Sep 28, 11 9:38 AM
Thanks again BF for another CE gone SE. I guess I will have to stop buying the CE's so I can have some HOG/IHOG games to play. I have nothing at this time.

girlwonder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by girlwonder on Sep 28, 11 9:42 AM
What has happened to Big Fish? When I joined in late 2009, I had trouble paying for all the games I wanted to buy. Now, I am lucky to find 2-3 a month that are fit to buy. I always buy a back-up CD because I am on dial-up and cannot download (in my lifetime) any of the games offered. NOW, more and more of the good games are unavailable on CD and I suppose that is because the companies do not want them on disk. I do not know the true reason.

Are they trying to force us to buy CE's? It won't work on me, nor I doubt on too many other frugal people. This is a hobby. There are other web sights where these same games are available. Not the only fish in the sea, Big Fish!!!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Sep 28, 11 10:11 AM
I hated this game ....rubbed me the wrong way ....hated the dusting of the brush ....What a waste of time !!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 28, 11 10:32 AM
Didn't care much for the CE version and not to kicked out about the SE either. Boring storyline, games easy, HOGs easy. Got through the first chapter with 21 min to spare. Looks to be a very short game. Not sure I want to spend any money on this one. However, nice game for a beginner or someone who just wants to float through the day with nothing better to do.

emery419
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by emery419 on Sep 28, 11 12:44 PM
"What happened to the REVIEWS in this REVIEW thread!! You are all talking about SE's vs CE's."

Some people don't know how to start a new thread, and sometimes there are so many topics that it's impossible to find one that fits, so comments just go in the review thread. And aren't CE vs. SE ending comparisons a review? The ending of a game with a story is very important, and it seems to me that the review section is appropriate for this. If not, then what thread do you suggest for this issue?

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 28, 11 12:57 PM
Am not sure how to categorise Lost Souls from Fenomen Games; it is a mixture of Hidden & Fragmented Objects with some decisions to make on how to use inventory items. It is neither an adventure nor an Interactive H0G (in my opinion) but I enjoyed it none the less.

The graphics are stunningly clear & bright & the artwork beautiful; the scenes are quite simply enchanting (forgive me but it is the only word). There are 5 paintings to play in the SE version (in the CE you get a 6th chapter). During the demo I completed one picture & was about to start another when my hour was up.

There is a prologue to the game & then a sort of mini prologue to each painting (well I assume each as I only played two); these have voiceovers but in the game the voices disappear; the dialogue is clickable.

There are two modes of play; easy with a 60 second hint recharge & lots of sparkles & an expert mode with a 1min 40 second hint & sparkles only where there is a H0 scene. During the game you should click on every coin you see as these can be used to purchase trophies at your leisure.

You are given a diary that has clues & which lists tasks to do; in addition a map, this is really an overview of whichever world you are playing in (each painting has a world behind it) & active scenes are indicated. The H0s & FR0Gs were not hard to find & the mini games were not difficult, there is a skip button on these. Once you have done all that can be done in a scene a sign will tell you; a bit more hand holding than I like in what is an easy game even on expert mode, I would prefer not to know.

I will have a punchcard token to use next week so will ‘buy’ this as it is so lovely to look at notwithstanding all the speculation about there being no ending. Depending upon when I get my punchcard I will try to remember to update with a sentence about the SE conclusion.

ETA there is a sort of ending +++++SPOILER+++++ hightlight to read . after the end of chapter 5 mum & son are shown standing in front of house hugging, a cop out quite frankly
Took me 3-1/2 hours to play

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 10:47:22 AM PST

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Sep 28, 11 1:00 PM
I played 37 minutes of the demo. This seems to be more of a kid's game, nothing particularly challenging or interesting although the graphics and the voice overs were good. Maybe worth a DD, COTW, or special sale buy.

However, while I was playing I wondered how on earth this game could be good enough to be a CE. Now that I have gone and read some of the comments, I understand.

This is just an ordinary little game with 6 chapters and called a Collector's Edition. To make it into an Standard Edition they CHOPPED OFF THE LAST CHAPTER WITH THE STORY ENDING.

Ye gods, whatever next. A special monthly sale to buy the endings of Standard Editions?

This is such sharp practice and I will not be buying a game with no ending. Honestly, words fail me at this outrageous piece of trash marketing.

BFG, I thought better of you.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 28, 11 1:32 PM
emery419 wrote:"What happened to the REVIEWS in this REVIEW thread!! You are all talking about SE's vs CE's."

Some people don't know how to start a new thread, and sometimes there are so many topics that it's impossible to find one that fits, so comments just go in the review thread. And aren't CE vs. SE ending comparisons a review? The ending of a game with a story is very important, and it seems to me that the review section is appropriate for this. If not, then what thread do you suggest for this issue?

not to mention, that any threads, on length, ce vs se, ending thoughts, etc, are locked and we are directed to post in either the comments or reviews thread

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 28, 11 1:35 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:I played 37 minutes of the demo. This seems to be more of a kid's game, nothing particularly challenging or interesting although the graphics and the voice overs were good. Maybe worth a DD, COTW, or special sale buy.

However, while I was playing I wondered how on earth this game could be good enough to be a CE. Now that I have gone and read some of the comments, I understand.

This is just an ordinary little game with 6 chapters and called a Collector's Edition. To make it into an Standard Edition they CHOPPED OFF THE LAST CHAPTER WITH THE STORY ENDING.

Ye gods, whatever next. A special monthly sale to buy the endings of Standard Editions?

This is such sharp practice and I will not be buying a game with no ending. Honestly, words fail me at this outrageous piece of trash marketing.

BFG, I thought better of you.

1st super short main and bonus games, now this,, talk with your pocketbook people, this is unacceptable, if we dont stand against this, the practice will continue

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 28, 11 1:55 PM
Hi fishies,

Please remember that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you haven't played this game yet, or if you'd just like to chat about this game with other players, please visit the 'Comments' thread.

On another note, if you'd like to read more reviews for this game, don't forget to check out the reviews thread for the Collector's Edition:

Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 1:56:43 PM PST

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Sep 28, 11 2:47 PM
WELL! BFGHondo, you sound like you are trying to distract those of us wondering how BFG gets away with chopping off the end of a game to call it a SE. Are you that worried about the chance of lost revenue? GOOD!
I read ALL of the posts and consider everything fishies say about a new game. Even if you don't think it's a "review", it's relevant to the purchase decisions we make. Like many people, I have to seriously budget and carefully chose the games I purchase. I want as much info as possible and this info was very important. I don't want to jump around to different threads just to get a complete picture, I always use this one. DO NOT tell me to go to the CE thread for a review when the interest is in a SE! That was actually kinda rude.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 28, 11 4:04 PM
i dunno what the Thread Police are so upset about. i use this thread also to help me decide if i will be purchasing or not. and i don't see what is the big deal about posting whether there is a ce or se because that IS part of the review. we are not filling out federal warrants here, just giving our impressions, ie reviews. if you don't wish to read a review because there is ce/se terminology, then skip it and move on. it seems to me that eliminating an entire chapter is news i certainly can use, and i appreciate that some folks spread the word. i had planned on making this se a buy but thankfully i read the reviews about the missing chapter, and thus will pass. imho ce's have become rather prolific and most fall short of the mark. one would think in today's economy, having customers at all would be cause for appreciation.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Sep 28, 11 4:25 PM
I hated this game !!! I am on the subject of reviews ...... A lot of wasted time !!!

SantaBanana
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by SantaBanana on Sep 28, 11 4:27 PM
Valdy wrote:I bought the CE and, like so many other fishies who bought the CE, was waiting and wondering how the SE could possibly come to a satisfying ending. And looking at the walkthrough I can truly say that I am super glad I got the CE, because without the 6th chapter (bonus game), this game is incomplete.

How do you even know that the SE ending is incomplete if you haven't played it? Everyone here is jumping to the conclusion that it is chopped off based on what you wrote.

Your assumption is based on viewing the walkthrough on the blog. However, Walkthroughs will never show the ending cutscene.

The SE ending cutscene might actually show a proper resolution to the story, where all the pieces you collected automatically go into the picture frame, and the boy comes home.

Sure, we don't put the crystals in and release the spirits ourselves. That's the gameplay in the CE. But just because the SE doesn't have that gameplay, doesn't mean that the developers didn't find a way to wrap up the story properly.

To be fair to the developers, I don't think we should make assumptions on an incomplete storyline, until someone can actually confirm that this is so.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 28, 11 4:53 PM
I do have a question for those who purchased the CE. I read the reviews thread and unless I am getting it confused with another, weren't there many comments about the ending in the CE being odd and not really wrapping up the story? If so, than not having the last chapter shouldn't really matter for the SE, correct?

I simply adored this game as a CE and loved it as a SE as well. I am confused by those who called this a children's game. No, it doesn't have blood and gore, for which I am thrilled, but the gameplay is still very enjoyable. I didn't think it was too easy either. I think there are two types of players. Those that rush through every game, not reading the dialogue, want the blood, gore, and scary things, and also want it to be so difficult a strategy guide is needed and those that enjoy the total gaming experience and enjoy beautiful scenery, relaxing games, and bright, pleasant scenes. Both categories are fine and I sometimes find myself in the former group, but if you are in the latter category, you will most likely enjoy this game.

The scenes are gorgeous and the storyline interesting. Nothing really evil here, although the storyline has been done before. Minigames are pretty easy, but not to the point where they are boring. When I first played the CE, I had 15 minutes left on the demo. When I played the SE today, taking my time and really enjoying it, I ran out the hour. I feel the length is worth the $6.99 cost.

I am on a severe budget right now as well and that is the only reason I did not purchase this as a CE. However, it is too beautiful and pleasant a game to pass up as a SE. Kudos to the developers and I hope to see much more from you.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 28, 11 5:40 PM
tejasgal wrote:I read ALL of the posts and consider everything fishies say about a new game. Even if you don't think it's a "review", it's relevant to the purchase decisions we make. Like many people, I have to seriously budget and carefully chose the games I purchase. I want as much info as possible and this info was very important. I don't want to jump around to different threads just to get a complete picture, I always use this one.

Hi tejasgal,

I understand that you'd want to get as much information about a game as possible before purchasing. I do that myself, and would encourage others to do the same! Separating the comments from the reviews was something that was requested by many of the fishies in the pond, and we're just trying to be consistent in enforcing that policy.

tejasgal wrote:DO NOT tell me to go to the CE thread for a review when the interest is in a SE! That was actually kinda rude.

Adding a link to the CE forum was also something that was widely requested, and the purpose for this was to give you exactly what it sounds like you were looking for -- as much information about this game as possible.

I apologize if this came across as anything but helpful!

-bfgHondo

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Sep 28, 11 5:55 PM
QEIII wrote:What happened to the REVIEWS in this REVIEW thread!! You are all talking about SE's vs CE's. Surely its not that difficult to start a new thread or put it in the comments section. I've had to mention this before in the Redemption Cemetery Childrens forum. It really is too aggravating for those of us who come to read about the game. (And don't refer me to the CE forum as I NEVER demo or buy them.)

Rant over - Now back to the game review - This is mostly adventure with some HOGs with puzzles. I think the graphics are superb with good voice overs. The premise has been done before (pictures coming to life) but this takes it to another level, because you have lots of scenes coming off the one picture. I like when it tells you that you have nothing left to do in a scene. The puzzles seem very good (the main consideration for me). All in all I shall definitely consider buying this when my punch comes through.

I so much agree with you QEIII - This a review thread - I came on here to read reviews of THIS game - I just don't want to wade through all this complaining about BFG, etc. Please, please post that in the comment thread - it will be read. Sheesh

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 6:00:49 PM PST

Go to: