vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:might get spanked, but i dont care, shame on you bfg

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 28, 11 6:07 PM
Jofer wrote:I've noticed several CE games lately that I've bought and discovered upon playing that the "bonus chapter" or gameplay was actually the solid ending that should have been on the SE game - and come away from the CE thinking I'd have felt very gypped if I had bought the SE and was left hanging. Shadowwolf is one that comes to mind. One of the Awakenings did that too - can't remember which one though.

Shadow Wolf was a rip off. I was very po'd when I got to the end of the SE and... nothing. That was the end??? It's made me wary of buying SEs just to get an incomplete game. I won't be getting Lost Souls.

Awakenings though - only the last one was a CE and we haven't even gotten the SE yet.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 6:08:50 PM PST

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Sep 28, 11 6:17 PM
vingilot wrote:
Awakenings though - only the last one was a CE and we haven't even gotten the SE yet.

I just went and looked to be sure.... yes it was the last one.... there's an obvious break where SE ends and CE continues - it pops up a screen saying you've completed and would you like to continue your journey with the bonus CE content - which pretty much is needed to end the game at a good stopping point.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 6:18:18 PM PST

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Sep 28, 11 6:32 PM
This is some of the games where You have to buy the CE to complete the game:

Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrow

Timeless: The Forgotten Town

Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Curse of The Full Moon

Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom

F.A.C.E.S.

If anyone knows more games, please let me know.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Sep 28, 11 7:11 PM
Purplerabbit wrote:Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker also steals the ending from the SE.

Now see, I would call the bonus gameplay for Shiver more of an alternate ending than a chopped-off one since I felt like the ending for the regular gameplay could stand on its own fairly well. It set up a possibility for a sequel (which was negated by the bonus game, thus an alternate ending), but I didn't feel like the developers just up and stopped things in the middle of the action - which is what a chopped-off ending does, in my opinion.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 28, 11 7:57 PM
TnTexas wrote:
Purplerabbit wrote:Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker also steals the ending from the SE.

Now see, I would call the bonus gameplay for Shiver more of an alternate ending than a chopped-off one since I felt like the ending for the regular gameplay could stand on its own fairly well. It set up a possibility for a sequel (which was negated by the bonus game, thus an alternate ending), but I didn't feel like the developers just up and stopped things in the middle of the action - which is what a chopped-off ending does, in my opinion.

I got the SE for Shiver and didn't feel that there was anything missing from the end of the game. I was surprised to see that on the list. I don't really consider FACES to be a chopped off ending either.

Timeless - yes, absolutely. The beginning of the game has a bride telling us to help the town so she could reunite with her love. We save the town in the SE, but there's nothing about helping the bride. That's a chopped off ending - when the game tells you what needs to be resolved, and then it doesn't get resolved. Hence why I was disappointed with the end of Shadow Wolf Mysteries - we don't stop the werewolf.

Does the bonus in Awakenings get Sophia closer to her goal, or is it a sideline story or what? I've been seesawing getting the CE or waiting for the SE, but if I'm going to miss something crucial, I might spring for the CE - during the next CE sale.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Sep 28, 11 8:22 PM
Wasn't Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice CE also one of those that had the bonus chapter in the middle of the game? I demo'd the CE and IIRC, there were 3 or 4 co-conspirators that met at the beginning of the game and that scene wasn't present in the SE game. There was also an area that was blocked in the CE game in the beginning, but in the SE game the cursor didn't even change to indicate the possibility of accessing that area in the future, which it did in the CE version. The ending didn't make quite as much sense in the SE, because the "ultimate" bad guy sort of came out of left field. It would have made more sense if you knew that there was more than one villain from the start. But at least there was an ending to the game.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 8:22:41 PM PST

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 28, 11 10:17 PM
Bpup wrote:Wasn't Grim Facade: Mystery of Venice CE also one of those that had the bonus chapter in the middle of the game? I demo'd the CE and IIRC, there were 3 or 4 co-conspirators that met at the beginning of the game and that scene wasn't present in the SE game. There was also an area that was blocked in the CE game in the beginning, but in the SE game the cursor didn't even change to indicate the possibility of accessing that area in the future, which it did in the CE version. The ending didn't make quite as much sense in the SE, because the "ultimate" bad guy sort of came out of left field. It would have made more sense if you knew that there was more than one villain from the start. But at least there was an ending to the game.

Nope, the bonus chapter is definitely a separate adventure after the main game. I demoed the CE and SE and they both start the same - the detective meets with the man whose wife and daughter went missing, then the suspect happens by. Is this the scene you're thinking of?

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 28, 11 10:20 PM
I've been thinking about this game all day...

First, let me say up front, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate...meaning neither a cheerleader nor a naysayer.

What if it was just some kind of cosmic mistake? This was the first CE Fenomen has done here (can't speak to other places). Maybe they weren't familiar with the whole CE to SE process as it happens at BFG. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the whole CE to SE process as it happens at BFG - LOL. I mean - I don't know which party actually trims the CE to an SE. Is it the developer? Is it BFG? If it's BFG, does everyone at BFG play every game and know how it's set up?

I mean I've just had this (warped) vision all day of some poor guy, sitting in a basement partition, with a single lightbulb overhead, lopping off bonus chapters from games, tossing the extra chapters into some ginormous shredder, (that he's actually afraid of) patching up menu options and sending the game off to someone else. He has no recollection of the names of the games he's touched, or how many and he's not allowed to play the games...he's only allowed to lop off bonus chapters and put them in the shredder--it's what he does.

Please understand that the above is not intended to demean any process or person. I'm just saying, is it possible that what happened to this game was purely unintentional? I just can't imagine the developer or the seller doing something that would make people not want to buy a game. It would be a lose/lose scenario for both of them.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

might get spanked, but i dont care, shame on you bfg

[Post New]by peglegann on Sep 28, 11 10:24 PM
bella81762 wrote:this is within tos, but finslap me if you must, todays release of Lost souls enchanted painting, as a se, with the last chapter of the ce just lopped off, is shoddy, you promised when the ce,s began that would never happen, you promised only the best high quality games would be givin ce status. look at my purchase history,(and i know you can) and you will see my dissillisionment with your site,

i went from buting nearly every ce, to barely any, the length and quality is just not there, and now, this, someone said whats next,,,, a sale of the endings of the games that were chopped like this one to justify a difference from ce to se,,

wouldnt surprise me one bit

Well said
I aim this at the Dev's as well. Why not make every "SE" into a decent "CE", not split it, as has been done and maybe split the difference in price? I knew when I played Lost Souls CE, that there was going to be an obvious uproar over the SE.
My buying of CE's has drastically dropped as well

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Sep 28, 11 10:29 PM
Textrekkie, also well said. It is only quite recently that the "CE's" have come to the fore, we have had some really good games in the past that just had the game title.This new SE/CE business is a way of putting up the prices for similar length games that we have had in the past. Loved the idea of that guy (why not a woman? LOL!) sitting with one lightbulb! ROFL!

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on Sep 28, 11 11:11 PM
textrekkie...lmao! Anything's possible.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 28, 11 11:17 PM
textrekkie wrote:I've been thinking about this game all day...

First, let me say up front, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate...meaning neither a cheerleader nor a naysayer.

What if it was just some kind of cosmic mistake? This was the first CE Fenomen has done here (can't speak to other places). Maybe they weren't familiar with the whole CE to SE process as it happens at BFG. To be honest, I'm not familiar with the whole CE to SE process as it happens at BFG - LOL. I mean - I don't know which party actually trims the CE to an SE. Is it the developer? Is it BFG? If it's BFG, does everyone at BFG play every game and know how it's set up?

I mean I've just had this (warped) vision all day of some poor guy, sitting in a basement partition, with a single lightbulb overhead, lopping off bonus chapters from games, tossing the extra chapters into some ginormous shredder, (that he's actually afraid of) patching up menu options and sending the game off to someone else. He has no recollection of the names of the games he's touched, or how many and he's not allowed to play the games...he's only allowed to lop off bonus chapters and put them in the shredder--it's what he does.

Please understand that the above is not intended to demean any process or person. I'm just saying, is it possible that what happened to this game was purely unintentional? I just can't imagine the developer or the seller doing something that would make people not want to buy a game. It would be a lose/lose scenario for both of them.

but thats just it tex, ce,s were never supposed tp be about trimming, the bonus content was advertised as additional, it should maybe flesh out a story, not finish it

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 28, 11 11:37 PM
I'll add my thoughts on this CE vs SE just from my recent experience. I just finished Enigmatis The Ghosts of Maple Creek I had betaed this and heavy on HOGs I knew I would like it, and full widescreen on laptop a plus. I waited for the SE and almost hit Buy but the WT wasn't on the blog for hours. What the heck, I went for the CE for the SG spur of the mo. Am I glad I did. This is a dev who did everything right IMO.

Took me 2 nights to get to the end, by then using both SG and WT when my scenes got way out of order and confusing. Then saw one bonus is all the locations available for HOG repeats, liked that. BUt couldn't access those til I did the bonus game. It is a backstory of events leading up to the start of the game, so it did add to the enrichment of understanding a bit more of the characters in the story, historical background. However, had the reg game started with the events leading up to it, it would have changed the mystery and been more "open plot" rather than a closed plot, not letting the player know everything in advance. I'd rather not know everything about the characters or there wouldn't be so much mystery and suspense.

I think it is like a prequel as for Curse of the Opera had a backstory that came out later, adding some dimension. I remember confusion which to play first, Opera or later Asylum Conspiracy. I just happened to pick AC up as a COW I think so now want to go back and replay Opera knowing now what lead up to that story. However, I never did finish Opera, had problems with small objects and getting lost with too much adventure.

My first CE was Lord of Mirrors, again, mostly HOGs so enjoyed it. I finished the main game and altho reading reviews about an alternate ending, I thought the game was over. It was maybe a month later I was about to play it again when I notice in the upper left hand corner was a door or something I had not noticed before. I click it, and OMG it was the extra play, for me about an hour more. Yes, it had a twist at the end but felt more like a lead in to a sequel which hasn't appeared in over a year. I still felt I got my money's worth with or without the Extra extended play. In fact, it creeped me out.

I'd be happy on most CEs if the bonus was just a bunch of jigsaws, or more HOGs, or unlimited match 3s. Most the IHOGadventures are now so similar by the time I get near the end I'm tired of it anyway. I just buy them for the integrated SG, not extras as I spend hours just backtracking lost

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Sep 28, 11 11:39 PM
Developers are of course interested in getting as much money as they can for their games, and I fully understand that they spend much time developing them. But I do not believe that the developers are responsible for these problems. BFG decides what is a CE and what is an SE, and the company determines how games get marketed.

I think that in the last six or eight months we have been seeing an ascendancy of the marketing people over the creative people. BFG used to be run by the creative people who cared about gaming, but the marketing people just don't get it. We buy games because of their appeal, their creativity, their innovations, and their length. In other words, we and the creative people consider quality as the base line; the marketing people only look at revenues.

I'm not buying CEs much any more because most aren't worth the money. And I won't buy a mutilated SE like Lost Souls. We obviously all make our choices, but I hope that the power of the pocketbook can still influence corporations.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Sep 29, 11 12:51 AM
Hi everyone!

The moderation team is going to go ahead and move this thread over into the Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings forum and this discussion can be continued here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM a member of the moderation team.

Thanks!

bfgRhone

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Sep 29, 11 2:30 PM
I never buy games anymore without checking the forum. I appreciate the input and won't be buying this game.

girlwonder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by girlwonder on Sep 30, 11 12:21 PM
I always thought the only difference in a CE and a SE was the fact you had to wait at least 30 days to buy the SE after the CE was released. Also there was a little extra in game play on a CE.

I have never purchased a CE and won't in the future. Just too expensive for a hobby. Something has happened at Big Fish...a big change in how they market their games. Are they just testing the waters of "the fishies"... How much can they push down our throats? The SE's aren't worth buying and the CE's are just average games.

Sure would be nice to get our old Big Fish back. Guess I will start visiting Target Stores again to buy my games.

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Sep 30, 11 4:23 PM
Deamland had an extended version that is what the other game site calls it we were not offered that version here at we got the regular I guess SE version of the game. In the extended version you can go through those cemetary gates and finish the game. I would have never known this if I did not try the 7 day free trial at the other game site (I had to play the new Mortimer Beckett Game) and played the extended version it would have been nice to have been offered the whole Dreamland game as an SE here at .

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 30, 11 6:25 PM
Hey sweet annita! We did get the extended version in the form of an update to the game. If you re-download the game, you'll get the new version. It was something that NevoSoft did for us, free of charge. So anyone who buys the game here will get what other sites are selling as the "extended version".

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/172459.page

Edited on 09/30/2011 at 6:27:18 PM PST

annita33
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,725 Posts

[Post New]by annita33 on Sep 30, 11 7:21 PM
Thank you so much Tex I had no idea because when I went in to play using the new profile I created on the other site the cemetary gates were open but when I went in there were just letters on the screen I couln't access the extra gameplay. Well I am glad didn't make it a CE then.

Go to: