lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lackoo on Oct 2, 11 2:34 AM
Hmm. A 120 minutes demo ? That's new from BFG . Too bad i can't upgrade my old version of Fairway to this CE .

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Oct 2, 11 2:50 AM
sassylassie wrote:
TeamSD wrote:So HAPPY and EXCITED to see this, the first CE which is not TM or HOG and the very first non-HOG CE this year!]

TeamSD wrote: Maybe BFG think it's not worth to be a CE??? I saw it on the dev site but decided to wait for the SE here!

Did I miss something? First you're happy and excited that it's a CE, then your going to wait for the SE. O.k..

Yes, i'm happy and excited to saw Fairway CE as CE! The SE that i'm talking about is 4 Elements II........

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 2, 11 2:51 AM
RyeMcLaughlin wrote:This game was not done by the original developer, which is a pity. It just doesn't seem to have the same humor and charm.

There are 16 levels. Levels 9 through 16 are marked with diamonds - this may indicate the CE Bonus Levels? Each level has 9 courses, which would make 144 courses in total. The original had 70, so that this would be a decent amount of Bonus content. Each course has 3 or more holes. I think I was on course 5 which had 6 holes by the end of the hour demo. The first level has an annoyingly long 2 course tutorial.

Options: 6 different card faces, 21 different card backs, 5 custom cursors, Enable Particles (little cards floating off your cursor) Full screen or Windowed and volume for Sound Effects, Music and Announcer.

Golf Shop has 22 powerups for sale. They range from help with the mini games to increasing chances of getting wild card clubs or not seeing the gopher cards.

Fairway Fever - a very fast timed game. If you are on Facebook you can compare your score with friends.

Movies - replay cut scenes

There are records to beat and 31 Trophies to collect. At the end of a course you get 0 to 3 stars according to how well you did and you gain rank according to how many stars you have. Ranks go from Spectator to Superstar.

You can also purchase specific wild cards, or even fill your bag for a discounted price.

There are water hazard cards to clear before some cards turn over, and other cards with grass on them need to be hit twice before clearing.

There's a lot happening in this game, it's well done, but just not for me, at least not the Collector's Edition. I can wait.

Thanks for such a thorough review.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 2, 11 3:16 AM
lackoo wrote:Hmm. A 120 minutes demo ? That's new from BFG . Too bad i can't upgrade my old version of Fairway to this CE .

LOL I just noticed that I had 101 minutes left to play after playing the first 3 courses and thought Felix must have had hiccups .

Well while this is a good card game and everything is clear and easy to see I have to confess that I actually prefer the first version as well and I also think the gopher was cuter in that one too. Sorry BFG this game is not for me.

Cherb

unitedred7
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by unitedred7 on Oct 2, 11 3:58 AM
I like the game, but 40 mins into it a message came up saying " Thanks for playing the demo now buy the full version "

That's a funny 120 min demo anyone else had this message ?

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 2, 11 4:12 AM
I don't usually play card games at all. But I decided to take the plunge and tried this demo and the game was addictive. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the 2 hr demo.
I don't think I will buy it because it's a CE and too expensive. But it's opened my eyes up to card games and this was very good. I especially liked the voice overs (like sportscasters) . I appreciated the tutorial too, since I've never played card games before. It was a good game and I would rate it a 8 out of 10.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 2, 11 4:34 AM
Pepper010
There are 16 levels. Levels 9 through 16 are marked with diamonds - this may indicate the CE Bonus Levels? Each level has 9 courses, which would make 144 courses in total. The original had 70, so that this would be a decent amount of Bonus content. Each course has 3 or more holes.

Excellent review thank you. (I just cut the relevant part).
Can I just point out to everyone. As the original Fairway "Solitaire" (I see they have dropped the solitaire bit) had 70 courses, each with a minimum of 9 holes and some with 18 (as befits normal golf courses). In this one, some courses, as Pepper said only has as few as 3 in them and a lot with 6, there really is not much of a difference in length.
I applaud the work that has been done with this game but BF started the CE vs SE debate and "visually pleasing prices".
I for one, will be very interested to see if this ever comes out as an SE............

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 2, 11 5:02 AM
sunidayz wrote:I don't usually play card games at all. But I decided to take the plunge and tried this demo and the game was addictive. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the 2 hr demo.
I don't think I will buy it because it's a CE and too expensive. But it's opened my eyes up to card games and this was very good. I especially liked the voice overs (like sportscasters) . I appreciated the tutorial too, since I've never played card games before. It was a good game and I would rate it a 8 out of 10.

If you're new to card games, by all means try the demo of the
original :Fairway Solitaire". Great game and half the price of
this one.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 2, 11 5:21 AM
All I can say is that you have to be kidding or getting desperate to make more money, BF. What a major disappointment. It seems that almost any game now will be an CE. And again, same person who we are all to wait and see what they have to say about the game is first to give their opinion. Guess most people don't feel the same way about the game. A major yuk! I refuse to play $13.99 for this type of game.

Applebay
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Applebay on Oct 2, 11 6:28 AM
I liked it but not quite as much as the first game. Finished the demo with 89 minutes left, does that mean the game is going to be short. The original was more difficult in my opinion. I was somewhat disappointed that the screen size was not really changeable and is not as attractive on my widescreen. I will still consider the CE as I really like this type of game

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Oct 2, 11 6:48 AM
I played this game at the BFG Workshop in July and gave them some of the same feedback as I'm seeing here:

- Not enough snarky comments

- The commentators are not the same and as humorous.

- Too easy to pass a course. In the first version, you had to achieve certain things to pass a course, like make x amount of $$ or so-much under par. In this version you just have to make par to go on to the next course. The developer told me that they did add other "trophies" that you could shoot for on each course, but to me it's not the same thing. I WANT the challenge of having to meet a certain goal. Not just the same'ol, same'ol on every course.

So I'm disappointed that they didn't listen to us.

Will certainly NOT be buying this at a CE price - good graphics or not, it's just not worth it. Will either wait for the SE, or just keep playing the old version since it's better anyway. BFG - thought you wanted to hear what we had to say.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Reviews for Fairway Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 2, 11 7:14 AM
sassylassie wrote:
TeamSD wrote:So HAPPY and EXCITED to see this, the first CE which is not TM or HOG and the very first non-HOG CE this year!]

TeamSD wrote: Maybe BFG think it's not worth to be a CE??? I saw it on the dev site but decided to wait for the SE here!

Did I miss something? First you're happy and excited that it's a CE, then your going to wait for the SE. O.k..

team is talking about 4 elements in this instance

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 2, 11 7:36 AM
Really looked forward to this one, but after playing demo,
not so much. IMHO, it's lost the charm of the original.

Commentators not nearly as good; sound like they're
reading from a script.

Miss having different goals to win a course, not always
based on par.

Liked the challenge of a full course: 9 or 18 holes, not
3 or 6.

It's not a bad game, just so out-classed by the original.

Definite no buy of CE. Will demo the SE when it comes out,
but have the feeling this will go on my DD only list, if that.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 2, 11 7:55 AM
Fairway as a CE? Okay, we are going from ludicrous to ridiculous. I like Fairway a lot, play the original a lot because it's very relaxing, but frankly, my dears, I don't give a d...m about better graphics or bonus as an excuse to raise the price.

At least the gopher will be happy he has been upgraded to a beaver. What an honor!

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Oct 2, 11 7:58 AM
I am a big Fairway Solitaire fan. It is my "go to" game when I need a break from dark, eerie IH0G's. So I was excited to see this out. I too am disappointed that they released this first as a CE. I can definitely wait for the SE. I will probably purchase when the SE comes out.

But I am disappointed with the graphics on this one. For some reason I prefer the first one. You would think with all the years and all the advances since the first Fairway Solitaire came out, that they would be able to come up with better graphics. Yes, I did have choices of the look of the cards. Believe me, I tried them all. I found each set to be not as pleasing to the eye. I don't know, I didn't like just the letter 'Q' for the queen, but I also didn't like the picture cards they had available either.

I also felt that this was way too easy. What was with the short rounds? 3 and 6 holes? Does it get to the point where you are playing a full 9 or 18? And is it just to reach par on each to make it to the next level? That was the best part of Fairway Solitaire. You had to reach certain goals in order to progress. Yes, maybe you would have to replay certain courses to earn money or get the extra clubs in order to pass a course, but that made it challenging.

I don't know. As I said, I am sure I will buy the SE just to see the differences and because I like this style of solitaire. But definitely not the CE. It could have and should have been so much more, especially as they released it as a CE.

And did anyone else have the feeling that the whole trial was pre-set? It felt like all the cards were already set at the deal so that you were just going through the motions. It didn't feel like any random card deal at all. Well, that's my opinion

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 8:00:17 AM PST

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Oct 2, 11 8:21 AM
Hopefully by the time that the SE appears, some folk will have got far enough into the game to give more information about course length / difficulty etc. Impossible to judge this from the demo with its ridiculous 3 hole courses.
Like other posters ( I had also posted about my disappointment with the game on another thread) I feel this version is not a patch on the original. That was a real challenge - sometimes downright frustrating, needing many plays to get those runs of 20+ - or failing to earn enough or cash to open the next course.
What challenge in just buying spare golf clubs ( maybe wrong here but I think someone mentioned it). The only ones I saw in the trial could be used to clear away the the grass from the cards or as 'Jokers' to be used as any card in the layout.

Otherwise for me it would only be a DD or special offer, which seems a pity.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 2, 11 8:35 AM
After playing the demo I am conflicted.

I see all of the work that went into making the game - that much is undeniable. The graphics are great, the animation excellent, the voiceovers are done very well (even if not as fun and charming). But the gameplay itself seems too... sterile - like there's just a bit too much perfection.

There are plenty of courses to play, trophies to earn, mini games to enjoy, interesting new items to buy in the golf shop.

However, the game just doesn't come together enough to produce that gut wrenching moment that happens when those last few cards will decide if you move on or replay the entire course (by making a stated goal). That's what I was looking for--that's what I was wanting--a challenge! The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat! It's just not here. And without it, the game just kinda lies there...flat.

One other thing, I don't know if the courses with 3 or 6 holes is just a demo thing or not, but I certainly hope so, because what golf course in the world has only 3 or six holes.

I encourage everyone to demo it, because it is lucious and done very well and most of all, because your opinion may not be the same as mine. And after having said all of this, I will purchase the CE, because there are lots of courses to play and I feel compelled to check out the entire game. If I end up kicking myself for my choice, so be it.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 10:09:43 AM PST

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Oct 2, 11 9:50 AM
I think is is done very well...the graphics are great, the animations much more professional; I even prefer the new "announcer" to the old one. I got very tired of that accent

I sometimes found the card faces difficult to read (especially the Jack); but that will probably come easier with familiarity.

I, too, will eagerly await a posting as to how long the game is, if the courses get "tougher", and generally for more feedback. Especially want to know if this is worth a CE Like, what is the CE content? I could not tell from the demo

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 2, 11 9:58 AM
I like Golf, though my miss swings into the air, rather then the ball, tells that I suck at the game. In any case, anything with a Golf theme to it I like, just like this game. The comic graphics and Gofer are cute, as are the voice overs, but I have to agree with a few others here, in that I don't understand what constitutes this to being a CE?

This game is similar in some respects to Golf Solitaire, which if I remember correctly was not a CE? Golf Solitaire was also a long playing game, and you really got your monies worth out of it. Now, this CE game may be long too?. Still however, when I think of the price, it leaves me debating whether I should purchase or not. I may just wait for the price to drop down... not sure yet. In any case, it is a cute game, though very easy to play (I only played the demo though, which was cut off prematurily from the full 60 minutes trial time).

Still debating..... hmm.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 10:37:15 AM PST

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Oct 2, 11 10:48 AM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you haven't played this game yet, or if you'd just like to chat about this game with other players, please visit the 'Comments' thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Go to: