LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Re:Reviews for In Search of the Lost Temple

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Oct 3, 11 5:37 AM
I was unable to access the Hint/Menu buttons using the screen cursor and switching cursors results in the game not acknowledging any clicks. Items were ridiculously small and some had to be combined (a tiny statue of an angel and a small square??? Which I presume was supposed to be a podium of some kind). I HATE this game.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Oct 3, 11 5:58 AM
I lasted about 15 minutes playing the demo. The game's objects are too small, I couldn't find most without using a hint. I will not buy this game even if offered as a DD. Sorry.

Faylyn

[Post New]by Scarlett11551 on Oct 3, 11 6:53 AM
Terrible Game, what a waste of download time.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
588 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 3, 11 7:16 AM
I'm not enjoying this game. Very small objects...objective not too clear. I'll give it a bit more time to see if things get better for me. If not, I probably will not purchase the game.

Edit: I tried to give the game more time but I just cannot seem to enjoy it. I spend so much time looking for the minute objects that I lose track of the story-line. I'm sorry, but I won't be buying this one.

Edited on 10/04/2011 at 7:08:10 PM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 3, 11 7:54 AM
While the graphics weren't too bad, some of the items for the HOG scenes were not only small but some were "hidden" down by the inventory bar and hint button. BAD, BAD devs! First you want us to find everything without misclicking or using a hint and then you put the items too close to the hint button (or inventory bar)! What are you thinking?

I HATE achievement awards! You show an "achievement" screen but do not show what we are supposed to be striving for. Achievement awards put too much pressure in the HOG scenes. It's hard enough to find all the teeny tiny items without having to worry about some stupid achievement status.

Your tutorial is not helpful. It never stated or showed that some items can be combined in the inventory bar. I found out by accident. Normally I don't need to use a tutorial but it has been my experience that if I don't use it, more than likely some useful piece of information that can only be offered up in the tutorial is needed to understand what to do.

I found the game play to clunky and it felt like I was just moving around randomly to figure out what to do next. It is a no buy for me.

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 7:56:55 AM PST

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on Oct 3, 11 8:03 AM
I only played for 3 HOGs. The items were so small that I actually got a headache trying to see them. No bifocals but I don't think they would have helped. The rooms were so large that even larger hidden objects would have been hard to find/see.
Bessie Mae

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 3, 11 8:07 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I like this game. Not love, just like. Those teensy tiny weensy items spoil what could have been a very nice game. It has nice adventure aspects, a novel twist because you sometimes need to find both halfs of an item in the HOG scenes, and if I can just get out of the danged house, it seems like there could be a lot to do.

A mini-walkthrough would be nice, because I'm a bit stuck at the moment - I'm not sure if I'm just missing something or what. But I did use a punch card credit on it, and it looks likie hours of gaming.

Too bad that nice magnifying glass in the lower right corner doesn't actually work - it just sits there, big and useless.

Please, BGF, do NOT ever offer this game for the iPad or iPhone!!!!! If I can't see the items on my desktop 23" screen, there is no way anybody can ever find them on a small screen.

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 8:09:12 AM PST

aliceh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by aliceh on Oct 3, 11 8:41 AM
Really? I play the games to relax & have fun, not to be frustrated with hard to find, small objects. No go for me.

[Post New]by kangaroo555 on Oct 3, 11 8:41 AM
Thought this game was going to be great, sorry, its a dud IMO. Objects are too small, some you cannot even see, unless you accidently click on it. Just too frustrating to deal with. A no buy for me.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
927 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Oct 3, 11 8:42 AM
LadyBlue0321 wrote:I was unable to access the Hint/Menu buttons using the screen cursor and switching cursors results in the game not acknowledging any clicks. Items were ridiculously small and some had to be combined (a tiny statue of an angel and a small square??? Which I presume was supposed to be a podium of some kind). I HATE this game.

I was not able to access the hint/menu buttons either...really wanted to get to the menu so I could leave quickly!

[Post New]by wolffiveclaw on Oct 3, 11 9:58 AM
As soon as I saw I had to find my grandfather AGAIN I wondered why I hadn't put him in a home years ago... sheesh he's obviously senile!
Thanks for the reviews fishies, I won't bother trying it.

[Post New]by jbell49 on Oct 3, 11 11:13 AM
Not for me....Boring, too small, music is monontenous...played demo for 8 min than uninstalled.

menora
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by menora on Oct 3, 11 11:20 AM
Same as everyone else played one hidden object screen but didn't bother with the second because the items are far too small. This is definitely one I will not buy even as a DD

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 11:20:34 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 3, 11 11:54 AM
I took some time to revisit Domini's Atlantis: Mysteries of Ancient Inventors game prior to demoing this one so I would have it fresh in my mind for comparison purposes.

In Search of the Lost Temple is a straight HOG which again features Anna, a newish archeologist in a fight to save her grandfather. This time the setting is China. Her grandfather is deathly ill from a curse and Anna must find the temple priest who can give her the help required to save him.

The graphics are very clear and sharp and the game has a more polished look than the previous. The dialogue and text boxes have been redone and even the main character has been "toned down" so as not to look so cliche.

However, the story lags severely getting started. Rather than spending the first half hour and 5 or 6 hidden object scenes that only achieve getting grandfather his pills and a photo album, I should be in China already or least well on the way! ( the guy's dying! ) So, there's a definite need to pep up the story, shorten the menial tasks and get the adventure rolling.

Some things are still not intuitive enough...I spent way to much time trying to figure out why the flashlight wouldn't work when all the caption would say was "I need a flashlight to see". There was nothing indicating the flashlight didn't already have batteries... The same thing with having to combine the pills with the water before I could give them to grandfather.

The objects in the HOS are very clear, but most of them are very small which makes it difficult to tell what they are. (continued)

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 3:13:39 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 3, 11 11:55 AM
(continued)

Because of this there is eye strain and a few "nose to the monitor" moments.

But as I said earlier, I can see many improvements in this game with graphics, music and storytelling. And I'm sure we will see many more improvements in games to come from Domini. I truly like their subject matter and I'm a pushover for archeologists and straight HOGs.

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 11:59:53 AM PST

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Oct 3, 11 12:28 PM
kangaroo555 wrote:Thought this game was going to be great, sorry, its a dud IMO. Objects are too small, some you cannot even see, unless you accidently click on it. Just too frustrating to deal with. A no buy for me.

No buy for me either. Got up this a.m. looking forward to playing this. Made a cuppa, started the game and what a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! Honestly dev's teeny tiny does not a hidden object make!!! I lasted 12 minutes before uninstalling. Wish I could get the download time back.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 3, 11 12:51 PM
Seems to be a trend. The only decent game you can use your coupons on are modified CE's (which you buy if you need a decent game) or crap like lost temple which aren't even acceptable as DDs. At this rate I will probably lose all of my coupons to expiration. When taht happens I will probably leave BF

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Oct 3, 11 12:54 PM
RickF wrote:Do the developers even try to play the games they design? A more appropriate name for this style of game would be an Invisible Object Game.
Absolutely

JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Oct 3, 11 1:04 PM
This is one of my few reviews, but I am in total agreement with almost all of the posts so far. I won't reiterate everything that everyone has already said. IMO the developers need to go back their drawing tables and do some more work before releasing games like this one. I would not buy this game even if it were the DD.

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
821 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 3, 11 1:13 PM
I agree with the other reviews. This could easily be a nice game, but the items are so small. Because of this, I didn't run the entire demo...too much eye strain. Maybe tomorrow will bring something good.

Go to: