Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 5, 11 4:25 AM
Agent_99 wrote:(quoted from - Mephibosheth -Lastly, one of the worst flaws is that the girl is the one to provide direction. Poor plot device, a la Wuthering Heights!)

What is exactly wrong with a girl providing direction?!?

Another quote from Mephibosheth - Now, for someone who really is a teenager, that may seem a sufficient enough plot device, but in literary circles, it's bad. In fact, it makes the deus ex machina absolutely necessary! (Of course, I find "Romeo and Juliet" one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's works, but that's another story.)

I don't know where you think you are but this is a casual gaming site. Not a literary circle. And while I couldn't stand this game myself, I think you are clearly unaware of how condescending you sound. Or at least I hope you are as I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

BBM

Please don't attack other posters personally.

Many of us won't have any problems at all with literary-related discussions as they relate to particular games. Just sayin'.

And now for a brief mini-review, based on 22 minutes of game play.

This gorgeous game is getting a bad rap. Firstly, folks, it's almost like a hybrid: adventure game meets casual gaming.

The play *is* very linear, and it does have that to-and-fro'ing quality of adventure games. You have to get everything right in a certain order.

However, in the style of casual gaming, there are copious hints. Just click on the little girl on the lower right of the screen.

The opening is beautiful, with good music appropriate to the subject and era. There *is* a lot of opening material; in fact, it's like there's a success of three openings. The first gives the game devs a chance to roll credits and set the mood.

Don't skip the opening materials, because they set the plot that's outside the Romeo and Juliet plot. As a writer, I laughed at Shakespeare telling his patron that well, his script wasn't quite ready and the patron reminding him that he was building a cottage, not a palace. Ah, that writer's perfectionism and unwillingness to let go of it until you tweak just a little bit more!

I, too, was thrown off by the reference to the love letter to Rosalind--later misspelled as Rosaline--because this is about Romeo and Juliet. That's pretty jarring and briefly breaks the mood.

This isn't the kind of game where you do a little something, then get to do a HOG scene, and voila! You have just the item you're going to need in a bit. cont'd

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 5:13:14 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Oct 5, 11 4:50 AM
I watched paint dry once. It was quite exciting compared to this snoozefest. Honestly, all that technology at their fingertips and this is what they come up with. Come on Devs, get those creative juices flowing for heaven's sake. You won't get many sales with this poor show.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Oct 5, 11 4:52 AM
I watched paint dry once. It was quite exciting compared to this snoozefest. Honestly, all that technology at their fingertips and this is what they come up with. Come on Devs, get those creative juices flowing for heaven's sake. You won't get many sales with this poor show.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 5, 11 5:09 AM
Mephibosheth wrote:.................. First, Shakespeare doesn't look at all like "Shakespeare"! Perhaps he's supposed to be a young man, but the few portraits and busts known of him show an aging, balding, portly man............

With all due respect, I sincerely doubt that Shakespeare was BORN an old and portly man. His plays were written over a lifetime, and the introduction to this game makes it clear that he was still aspiring to be a successful writer, and in the process of writing Romeo and Juliet, when this interlude takes place.

That said, on with my review:

If you expect "normal" you will be disappointed. If you expect new, different, and entertaining, give this one a try. The artwork is exceptionally beautiful, the voiceovers a pleasant surprise, and the gameplay is unique.

Yes, it's annoying not to be able to just pick up everything and store it in your inventory, but it also allows you to actually think about what the game is about. No hand-holding here, because you don't just collect everything in sight and then try one thing after another when you get to a spot where you need to use an inventory item. You have to remember where it was and go back to fetch it. I expect to take quite a long time with this game, because I tend to forget where it was that I saw Item A.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, good or bad, to compare this to an HdO offering is unfair. There is nothing cookie-cutter or cheap about this game or the controls, it's just that it is more an Adventure game than a traditional HOG.

If you haven't downloaded yet, give it a try and see if you like it - I know I do, and I will be purchasing.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 5, 11 5:22 AM
cont'd.

As I said, this game is played more like an adventure game. And that gets us to 2 different philosophies: there's one style where you find all kinds of things that you'll need later on.

So, in essence, as your character, you're schlepping a backpack or satchel with a crowbar, flint, a torch, three stones for a puzzle, a wrench, a raven statue, and maybe a few other things. And when you get somewhere that you can use something, you have it because you've already gotten it through a HOG scene or a puzzle.

But in this philosophy of gaming, you don't collect things. You get them as you need to use them. Again, adventure-style gaming.

This game is simply gorgeous. I'm enjoying the concept of Shakespeare as a young, beginning writer. I'm interested in where the second plot line goes--Shakespeare, working from notes only (it's obvious he hasn't written the full play yet that he's promised his patron!), telling the story to the young girl Ann.

The voice-overs are very good. The music is very enjoyable. The hints are readily available with very little waiting.

What this game requires is taking the time to understand how it's played. Until I *got* that, I used the hints a LOT.

Which means that the game is challenging, which is a good thing. Especially if you're bored with the "standard" pro forma games.

I had to laugh at myself when I realized that the love letter was right in front of me. The folks who made this game are good, very good. And there are little bonuses here and there: say, a lizard suddenly crawling around a newel post.

Recommendation: lean back, relax, take your time, learn the game play, and drink in the settings. I haven't finished the demo yet, and I am looking forward to it, even though I know it's going to be more demanding than the average game.

This, folks, is a very good game, and one that's not only literary, but is so far "outside the box" that it has its own territory. It's a good marriage of adventure + casual, and I say that even though I haven't gotten to the ill-fated romance of R&J, who don't get to the marriage part.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 5, 11 5:30 AM
Mephibosheth wrote:Okay, first I'll start with the somewhat positive things.

(clip)First, Shakespeare doesn't look at all like "Shakespeare"! Perhaps he's supposed to be a young man, but the few portraits and busts known of him show an aging, balding, portly man. (clip) Lastly, one of the worst flaws is that the girl is the one to provide direction. Poor plot device, a la Wuthering Heights!

(clip). Mercutio simply shows up, offers to deliver the letter in return for joining him in crashing the party at the Capulet's. Now, for someone who really is a teenager, that may seem a sufficient enough plot device, but in literary circles, it's bad. In fact, it makes the deus ex machina absolutely necessary! (Of course, I find "Romeo and Juliet" one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's works, but that's another story.)

(clip).

M

I have no problems with Shakespeare as a young writer. In fact, I'm finding it to be an enjoyable plot device. If you mean that Ann, the young girl, contributes ideas, then when I get to that, I won't have a problem with that. For one thing, that's how writers work: we get ideas everywhere.

As far as Mercutio being just a teenager, well, the main characters are teenagers. We also have to remember that in that era--and others--teenagers were considered to be far more adult than the extended-childhood teen years our culture now expects. Teenagers went to war, and often married, especially for dynastic marriages, at 13 or younger.

The game, IMHO, is an interesting, beautiful, and challenging use of Shakespeare's works. I'm all for Shakespeare entering into a new market.

Frankly, I'd love to see an Orson Welles-style gaming version of the Scottish play. Now, that could be one very creepy, scary game! Are there any developers listening??!!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Oct 5, 11 5:30 AM
I usually read the reviews and then decide on whether to purchase. I rarely do demos. These reviews made me think I wasn't interested in this game, but after reading the reviews by Pepper010 and sinshack, I'm going to demo this one. I like Adventure games. And a to Pepper and sinshack for their other comments.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 5, 11 5:34 AM
mariannequilts wrote:I usually read the reviews and then decide on whether to purchase. I rarely do demos. These reviews made me think I wasn't interested in this game, but after reading the reviews by Pepper010 and sinshack, I'm going to demo this one. I like Adventure games. And a to Pepper and sinshack for their other comments.

Thank you, Marianne!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 5, 11 5:39 AM
Mephibosheth wrote:Shakespeare doesn't look at all like "Shakespeare"! Perhaps he's supposed to be a young man, but the few portraits and busts known of him show an aging, balding, portly man.

Taken from a website dedicated to William Shakespeare 'Among the many mysteries that surround Shakespeare and his life is the question of his physical appearance. No evidence exists today that his portrait was ever painted while he was alive; likewise, there is no known written description of him. Unless new material is discovered, we will never know for certain what he looked like. '

And he was 33 when Romeo and Juliet was published; unless he suffered from premature aging, chronic hair loss and a tendency to gain weight, why wouldn't he look young?

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 5, 11 5:53 AM
This is a wonderful story if you have a lot of patience! Just getting intro after intro will test that You think one is done and another starts.

It reminds me more of the old adventure games. As far as I am concerned there is no real Hidden Object scenes. You are just always searching for an item. I don't like no having a hint button of any kind. No real instruction at all. For those who complain about sparkles and hand holding this should be right up your alley.
The mini games are not difficult but there is no skip button that I found.

The voice overs are great but the graphics, for me, were a bit fuzzy.

This has such potential but done the way it is had me very stressed out just getting through the demo. This is supposed to be my relaxation therapy I did get involved in the story in this game more than some. That in itself makes me want to see where it goes.
No walkthrough as yet so we are unable to check the length. I did a quick search on other sites also and didn't find one. Will wait for that to make my final decision.

Off to work now. Everyone else have fun

[Post New]by Coronagold on Oct 5, 11 6:23 AM
I like cheese.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 5, 11 6:30 AM
I thought I might go crazy waiting for little miss julie to wake up so I could get a hint. I really wanted to like the game but I just don't and I won't be buying it.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 6:31:15 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 11 6:39 AM
After I got used to the gameplay, I bought this game.

The active play areas and their required objects (puzzles, I guess) are not activated until you do certain other actions.

It kind of reminds me of the gameplay in Steve the Sheriff except instead of the object bubble-circles, the needed objects are places in a bar above the action scenes. You are not allowed to pick-up future needed objects until you activate the required puzzle.

The mini-games are skippable if the cute girl is lit up (lower rt hand corner - also giver of hints)

I like the way hints are given. The general scene is pictured if you aren't in the right area but if you are in the correct area a more specific hint (circle) is given.

I usually have liked Daedalic games and this is no exception!

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 6:43:13 AM PST

jma0909
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jma0909 on Oct 5, 11 6:50 AM
A lot of mixed reviews on this game. Yes, it is linear, you have to go in the right order, but, is that a bad thing? The main reason I like HOG/adventure games is that it is kind of like reading a book. This one fits that criteria for me. I had no technical issues, and enjoy the voice overs which are appropriate for the story. There is no walk through yet, so I don't know how long it is, but, I am going to give it a go anyway. Thanks, other fishies, for all your input, I rely on it quite a bit when deciding about a game. Just have a good feeling about this one. Maybe I'm just a romantic at heart

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Oct 5, 11 6:51 AM
Awful!. Too much talk and handholding. You never have to think. I liked the marble game. That's about it.

wilkesy83
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by wilkesy83 on Oct 5, 11 6:54 AM
First off all, did anyone else jump at the end of the very first intro scene? Quiet music...than WHAM! hehe!

Anyway the game itself - I had huge hopes as it looked so lovely, but part way through the second intro scene I just found my mind and attention wandering. Great they got some English actors to play the characters (apart from the little girl...what was going on there!) but the voice acting was very flat and lifeless. Sounds like they hired voice over narrators instead of vocal actors.

Then, after the THIRD scene we finally get into the game. As mentioned by other fishies before, I go so frustrated with finding things that I can't use yet. The whole game, although LOOKED beautiful, was too tedious, drawn out and clunky.

I played for 9 minutes in total. 8min was probably taken up with those bloomin' cut scenes!

Miss!

arfur99
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by arfur99 on Oct 5, 11 8:05 AM
I don't comment on games very often but this time I will. Totally confused about aims and goals, what to do etc. Have you tried there she says. I've just worn out my pointer clicking there so this advise wasn't exactly welcome. After 15 mins I'd had enough and deleted. Graphics etc are great and I think this could have been a great game if only the directions etc were more explicit .Really sorry I couldn't get on with this game.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 5, 11 8:16 AM
I'm with you Lovetomisslisa, I like this game alot. The graphics are good and had no problem finding things. I like the marble game so far, have to use your little grey cells, which is a good thing. It's a definite buy for me. This game may be more adventure than hidden object so it may not be for everyone. I looked at the walkthrough to judge the length and it appears to be a fairly long game also.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 5, 11 8:27 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I like this game alot! This is an Adventure game not a Hog. For those of us who love adventure games, this is a good one. I had no problems at all. I enjoyed the story and the voiceovers are really good. I love alot of voiceovers and reading. It adds to the play of the game for me. Adventure games are very involved and difficult. But for advanced players, this game will play just fine. I really appreciate the art of this game and all the work that went into it. This game is a buy for me. All large file and adventure game lover's should try this game. But if your just a hog lover, you might not like this game. I love it! Give it a try and take your time to read how the cursor works, that will lead you through just fine. Enjoy! I know I will!

I rate this game: "PIGLET" for advanced large file and adventure game lovers.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

I'm in total agreement with you and I'm one who loves large file adventure games. We don't get enought of them here.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 5, 11 8:29 AM
No, not for me, even with good reviews. It's a romantic story and I tend to avoid them like a hot potato. I have not a single trace of "romantic" in me and I am bored to tears with this kind of games.

But whoever likes them, good gaming and enjoy!

Go to: