pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 6, 11 6:00 AM
I have been waiting for ERS to release this game. I have the other Dark Tales games and so I know this one will be good buy. ERS has not disappointed me.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelfishp on Oct 6, 11 6:22 AM
I love ERS games. Lovely graphics and good voice overs. The music is just OK, but fitting. I have the other two in this Dark Tales series, so it will be a buy for me, just not right now. Spent a lot of money last month, but filled four punch cards.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 6, 11 6:46 AM
alpha_Tau wrote:Potential spoilers!!!

Pepper010 wrote:... Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

This one caught me out ...

Watch out!!! You can't complete the game without collecting all 33 roses.

The SG states that you will get a chance to collect any missing roses, but, right at the end, tells you that you have to go back through the game zones to find them!!!

If you don't want to be bored to death, make sure that you find them all. You cannot proceed to the bonus level without this.

The game has been a considerable improvement on more recent offerings, especially other CEs, which have often been faulty or relatively short, etc.

With all that, it's a pity that, as Pepper010 noted, the pre-requisite of the rose collection was not clearly stated at the outset, along the lines of "You will need to collect all 33 roses to complete the game.".

Best regards,
aT

Ah... So am I to assume that if I buy the SE, there won`t be any roses to collect, since they are to be used in the bonus level - something I didn`t know.

lilflirt
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by lilflirt on Oct 6, 11 7:08 AM
I HAVE THE SERIES AND LOVE THEM. JUST FINISHED THE DEMO AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I WILL GO AHEAD AND BUY THE GAME, EVEN THOUGH I SAID I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER CE BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS WITH OTHER GAMES I'VE BOUGHT AND HAD ISSUES WITH THE BONUS PLAY. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL NOT BE THE CASE FOR THIS GAME.

Jolly6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Jolly6 on Oct 6, 11 7:21 AM
I'd like some advice on getting this one as a CE or waiting for the SE. I love this whole series and have the SE versions of the others. The demo is great, but I can only afford 1 CE this month and am torn between this and Beauty and the Beast (been waiting for the SE for that, but really want to play the whole game). Which is better as a CE?

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on Oct 6, 11 7:34 AM
Jolly6 wrote:I'd like some advice on getting this one as a CE or waiting for the SE. I love this whole series and have the SE versions of the others. The demo is great, but I can only afford 1 CE this month and am torn between this and Beauty and the Beast (been waiting for the SE for that, but really want to play the whole game). Which is better as a CE?

I tried both Beauty and the Beast, as well as The Premature Burial. I am going to purchase the CE of the latter, not only for a more interactive experience, but also because of the Bonus offerings provided. Don't get me wrong the former one is highly polished, however there is absolutely nothing to the CE package. Personally, I feel that The Premature Burial is a much better deal for the money. I hope that helps you in your 'decision-making'.

Jolly6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Jolly6 on Oct 6, 11 7:56 AM
Thanks Aerosage! I appreciate your reply. I've felt "burned" before on CE's that didn't offer much different from the SE. Unless someone chimes in with a different set of reasons, I'll go for Premature Burial and keep waiting on the SE for Beauty and the Beast.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 6, 11 8:09 AM
Valdy wrote:
alpha_Tau wrote:Potential spoilers!!!

Pepper010 wrote:... Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

This one caught me out ...

Watch out!!! You can't complete the game without collecting all 33 roses.

The SG states that you will get a chance to collect any missing roses, but, right at the end, tells you that you have to go back through the game zones to find them!!!

If you don't want to be bored to death, make sure that you find them all. You cannot proceed to the bonus level without this.

The game has been a considerable improvement on more recent offerings, especially other CEs, which have often been faulty or relatively short, etc.

With all that, it's a pity that, as Pepper010 noted, the pre-requisite of the rose collection was not clearly stated at the outset, along the lines of "You will need to collect all 33 roses to complete the game.".

Best regards,
aT

Ah... So am I to assume that if I buy the SE, there won`t be any roses to collect, since they are to be used in the bonus level - something I didn`t know.

Can anyone advise me on the issue about the roses?

Thanks.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Oct 6, 11 8:17 AM
Thanks BFG and devs. Really enjoyed this game and was long. Thanks again.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Oct 6, 11 8:17 AM
Thanks BFG and devs. Really enjoyed this game and was long. Thanks again.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Oct 6, 11 8:22 AM
Wow everything in a game that I like. Nice Intro. Soothing background music. Widescreen. Characters with voiceovers. Interactive IHOGs. Good storyline. New puzzles. Tools found along the way work logically and used the way you would expect them to be used. An extra pickup item. What a great game. Thanks for a nice game thats not brainfrazzling and just relaxing.

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Oct 6, 11 8:46 AM
If Team SD rates it an " A " then it is a must buy for me. Other reviews are greatly appreciated as well.

sandrahollie
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by sandrahollie on Oct 6, 11 8:59 AM
Lilabelle wrote:
TeamSD wrote:I love this one much more than other ERS games, will play a bit more to see and give the full review but I already know that it's a buy for me!!!

Happy to see you back to the first post, always look forward to your first impressions. One suggestion if you don't mind, could you edit in your final thoughts once you have finished the game. This addition would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm also glad you're back. The first thing I do is look for your grades. It's so helpful to see if I should check a game out further or skip it and go to other things. Keep those reviews coming.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 6, 11 9:10 AM
I was fortunate to beta test this one and couldn't wait for it to come out. I love this series and I love a game where there is movement of the trees, water, leaves etc. I am claustrophobic so the thought of someone being buried alive is chilling to me, however so far the story is interesting and there is enough interaction for it not to be boring and the graphics aren't all faded and washed out looking as in some games.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Oct 6, 11 9:11 AM
Raska wrote:I didn't like the other games of the serie, but I think I'll like this one...although there are a lot of HOG (and not easy to find the objects), but the story is interesting and the puzzles are difficult...(I love to spend time on puzzles instead of looking for objects)... I'll wait till the SE comes out of course, since I refuse to pay double of the prize for a bonus chapter...(most of the time they aren't even good) and I don't need music, nor screensavers,etc...
Raska
Please be indulgent with my english since I'm a belgian girl

Raska your English is wonderful, and I agree with your comments 100%! I prefer puzzles to H0 scenes too and also tend to prefer the SE versions.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Oct 6, 11 9:52 AM
Any game by ERS means that I am going to seriously consider buying it. This game is no exception. I was playing on hard mode and enjoyed the game until my trial time ran out. Artwork is very good. Music is pleasant but repetitive. Voice overs were excellent. Puzzles were good as far as I got and the puzzle for the mail box was unique and fun.

I am somewhat surprised that a developer with as much experience and skill as ERS does not provide widescreen support. It is not a deal breaker for me, but I know that the developers are capable of this and it irks me a bit that they don't provide this. Lately other game developers are having this built into their games so that the game fills my widescreen automatically without even having to select the option of widescreen.(which in the past has not always made any difference at all) So ERS here is a shout out...this is something your customers really want, and with other developers providing it you are gonna have to start providing it. You are just too good a developer not to.

I plan to buy this as soon as it comes out as an SE. This is not a reflection on the quality of the game I just don't mind waiting a few weeks to get the lower price.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 6, 11 11:34 AM
Yes, more doom and gloom, but I love Poe and this game is wonderful. Great graphics and game play. Even like the voice overs. Hint recharges very slowly, games not difficult but do take some time, HOGs appropriate for story line. The object sound is a bit annoying, but this is a great CE and I will be purchasing this one. Thanks!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 6, 11 12:25 PM
I love it. Congrats ERS...another great game. The graphics are wonderful, the voice overs are clear and age apropriate and match the movement of the lips and the colors are crisp and clear. And for a change, they speak quickly enough that I didn't turn the sound off because I can read faster than the characters are speaking, which is what I normally do in most games. It just bores me to death to sit and wait for the character's dialog to just drag out of them. I do agree with some that so far in the games a few of the h. o. scenes are a bit on the junk pile side, but the overall quality of the game far out weighs this little bothersome thing.

However, I will probably end up waiting for it to come out as an SE simply because I can't justify buying another CE when I have 5 PCCs sitting in my account with nothing to spend them on. I hope it doesn't take as long as it did for The Bronze Horseman to go to SE...I waited for that one to go SE for the same reason.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 6, 11 12:59 PM
MKINYON: I couldn't agree less with you. I do not care for Elephant games. In Mystery of Venice and Grim Tales..The Bride, we spent the entire time going back and forth through four and five scenes to get just one object to use in another scene. That doesn't happen in this game or in any of the other ERS games I've played. So far in this game, the back tracking is limited, and takes mere seconds. You can't remotely compare Elephant to ERS.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 6, 11 2:06 PM
Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Premature Burial is the third in a series of EAP thrillers from ERS Game Studios.

Up front options include sliders for music and sound and buttons for full screen and custom cursor (they're still keeping it simple). Once a player name is entered (limited to 9 characters) and "play" is selected, a choice of player modes is offered (they didn't name them, so neither shall I): one where the skip/hint button recharges more quickly and active zones are highlighted; and one where skip/hint button recharges more slowly and active zones (which includes HOS) are not highlighted.
However, there was still plenty of help every time I clicked on something, i.e. when I clicked on the crypt door "I'll need the palette knife to clear it"; when I clicked on the fountain bowl, "I'll repair the pump nearby", etc. The game has the expected outstanding ERS graphics in the normal game play and cut scenes.

Who doesn't like a good Edgar Allan Poe story as the basis of a game? Especially when it means Inspector Dupin is back on the case and we get to assist! The opening and subsequent cut-scenes are well done. And we learn right away that there's a spirit on the loose and she's more than a little upset over something. We soon discover, however, that this spirit, as angry as she may be, is not the object of our current investigation. Even more intriguing, is the fact that the person who has hired us to investigate the death of Victorine, is Victorine's lover. (Hmmm...angry spirit, dead wife, suffering lover...I'm lovin' it! )

The story continues and actually unfolds rather well. The voiceovers for the characters at first confused me. The story takes place in France and all the characters have French names and yet everyone sounds more American than I do! But then, I have to admit, if ERS tried to use voiceovers with French accents, they would probably be railed on for having phony sounding accents. So, I'm good with the voiceovers. The music on the other hand...

(continued)

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 7:19:22 AM PST

Go to: