Re:Reviews for Virtual City 2: Paradise Resort

[Post New]by littleoracle on Oct 9, 11 10:59 PM
Sorry, but I'm not really a fan of this game. I love TM games - especially ones that really make me think outside the box. However, this is a fairly difficult game in my opinion. It reminds me of SimCity from long ago but on a micro level.

The problem with this game is that the growth is slow and anything can set off the delicate balance - and not easy to undo, either. With balancing all the levels of happiness, environment, etc., one can go up from a game command but another can drop significantly, ultimately causing me to restart the entire level. And to top that off, everything has to be done in a short time for the gold level.

Just one example, people in the game get kind of picky. They want lots of buses, but a bus run will have to go only from one stop to one other entertainment area; They don't like multiple stops, which is ridiculous. I've lived in a city and there's nothing wrong with waiting a couple of stops till your destination. Same with delivering goods by truck - why do I have to have one truck per load? Why can't they pick up other goods and ultimately start a chain reaction?

I'm afraid it's too much, too confusing, too busy for my taste. I'm only in Florida and I've already given up. A few of the levels were interesting and fun, but when it gets so detailed that I can't really keep track of the in's and out's of my goods/traffic (especially when I can't come up with a stats page) then it's too busy for me. However, if you like complex games, maybe this is for you.

bkfrenchy
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by bkfrenchy on Oct 10, 11 10:11 AM
I just purchased this game the other day and love it (love all virtual ones). However I am noticing it is very very slow. 5 minutes is like 45 - 60 minutes.
A Fix?

thanks

[Post New]by Rosiemarieny on Oct 10, 11 8:07 PM
Fun game, I think the game play is a lot tougher than the first one, but I won't let that deter me from using one of my credits.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 11, 11 7:54 PM
I couldn't get into this one. The graphics were amateur and the gameplay was confusing. Lots of icons and I didn't quite understand the point.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Oct 12, 11 2:23 AM

Level 1 l went through like a breeze; gold on every level without too much trouble.

Level 2.1 and 2.2: incredibly hard (struggle - struggle - puf - puf), but l finally did manage (play time deep in the red though)
2.3 & 2.4: smooth - gold again.

So l'm looking forward to much more enjoyment with this game. IMO VC2 is at least as good as the first one.
Fantastic game!

As l found somewhere else here, the walkthrough is very helpfull.
It is at:
g5e.com/support_pc#VirtualCity2
(in case the mods remove this, you can PM me and l'll sent the link to you)

Besides all that:
l still don't understand why fishies make (long) negative posts here about the game. What's the sense of that?
l don't like HOG's. If l would do the same in those game threads, l would have been a long time ago.

................................................................................ . . .

Edited on 10/12/2011 at 2:28:24 AM PST

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Oct 12, 11 3:17 AM
Great game! Can't wait for VC3.

RenaRF
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by RenaRF on Oct 12, 11 11:48 AM
With you 100%. I found VC1 challenging but not outright impossible. This one IS - and in spots it doesn't make a whit of sense. What you do in one level for happiness, or tourist approval or business approval doesn't work on another level where the variables are different.

A game is zero fun if it's simply too difficult to play, and this one is. Wish I hadn't bought it - it's a BIG disappointment.

jawfish wrote:As others have said, this game is much harder than the first one. Expert? forget it! I'm already struggling.....Is there going to be a walkthrough. I need help!

Prefer difficulty similar to first game, I want to finish it by myself

RenaRF
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by RenaRF on Oct 12, 11 11:53 AM
Regarding long posts, negative or positive: this IS the "Reviews" section, not the "Good Reviews Only" section.

Fransje66 wrote:
Level 1 l went through like a breeze; gold on every level without too much trouble.

Level 2.1 and 2.2: incredibly hard (struggle - struggle - puf - puf), but l finally did manage (play time deep in the red though)
2.3 & 2.4: smooth - gold again.

So l'm looking forward to much more enjoyment with this game. IMO VC2 is at least as good as the first one.
Fantastic game!

As l found somewhere else here, the walkthrough is very helpfull.
It is at:
g5e.com/support_pc#VirtualCity2
(in case the mods remove this, you can PM me and l'll sent the link to you)

Besides all that:
l still don't understand why fishies make (long) negative posts here about the game. What's the sense of that?
l don't like HOG's. If l would do the same in those game threads, l would have been a long time ago.

................................................................................ . . .

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Oct 12, 11 4:01 PM
honestly i was going along learning the ropes and things were great and then hit Scipio and couldn't finish out of the red to save my life. seriously frustrated trying to figure out how to get gold on this, and i don't want a walk thru. i want a game that i can try a few times and finally figure out what the winning strategy is, on that level its not happening for me which is a huge downer. i liked the first one but this one seems more complicated and less fun somehow this time around. maybe i'll pick it up later or for a daily deal but i wasn't immediately hooked.

[Post New]by SystemOverlord on Oct 12, 11 4:40 PM
mendolyn wrote:honestly i was going along learning the ropes and things were great and then hit Scipio and couldn't finish out of the red to save my life. seriously frustrated trying to figure out how to get gold on this, and i don't want a walk thru. i want a game that i can try a few times and finally figure out what the winning strategy is, on that level its not happening for me which is a huge downer. i liked the first one but this one seems more complicated and less fun somehow this time around. maybe i'll pick it up later or for a daily deal but i wasn't immediately hooked.

I get your frustration, and it took me a bit to figure out the deal. The ratings are tied to the # of people that go to whatever venue your dealing with. In Scipio, you need a Job Rating of 230, which means that you have to transport 230 people to the office buildings. The # increases each time a busload arrives but there is a steady DECREASE over time, so you need to make sure that the capacity of your office building(s) will hold that required # and also that you are transporting enough people to reach the that # plus a little more to compensate for the slow, steady decrease. Which is why you want keep you bus routes as short as possible to make sure that people are being transported quickly. Same thing applies to Happiness and Visitor ratings.

Finally, couple of tips going forward: keep bus routes as short as possible - maximizes the revenue and # of people delivered. Don't route buses to more than one bus stop or other type of the same venue. You can send a bus from a bus stop to a hotel and an entertainment venue, but not to two entertainment venues for example. If you do two of the same places, the revenue and # of people delivered is split in half which is why you want one bus stop, and one each of different types of place - office, entertainment - like that. another thing to remember is that if a house is covered by a Dumpster (not the Dump Truck) then it doesn't need to be next to a road. This can be very useful at times, let me tell you!

Hope this tips help you a little and perhaps you'll give the game another chance? It is more complicated than the first one, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad until you get stuck (like everyone else) with the programming error in Florida 13 - Goodland!

Edited on 10/12/2011 at 6:07:12 PM PST

Jezhara
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Jezhara on Oct 14, 11 2:43 PM
I loved Virtual City 1 but this one is even better. I'm finding it a lot harder than the first one but thats whats making it more enjoyable - planning and strategizing to meet the goals in the time frame. Its certainly challenging. I'm really getting my money's worth out of this game and am glad I bought it.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 2:49:14 PM PST

SpookyPigdog
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by SpookyPigdog on Oct 15, 11 3:47 PM
I'd love to buy this, but I found it too difficult to keep my people happy after the trial part was over. There was no where to put the fireworks park to "make them happy" and I just got so lost.
I love this style of game in the pc gaming world - but there they aren't as complicated or tricky and I can enjoy building, making things pretty and keeping people happy as long as the building are there - much more FREEDOM.
If you know of a BigFish game like that, please let me know!

PS my PC games I enjoyed like this were ones like Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Oct 17, 11 6:08 PM
I loved this game. I finished it today. Granted I did not get Expert on every level but I finished them. And I had enough credits to buy all the Upgrades I needed.

I am very much looking forward to Virtual City 3!

This is a great game in my opinion.

AgnesKite
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by AgnesKite on Oct 21, 11 3:00 AM
I truly enjoyed the first Virtual City, and have replayed it a number of times while waiting for this one to arrive. Now that I'm playing it, I'm a bit on the fence. I still love the concept and the basic gameplay functions, and the addition of tourism and businesses was an interesting challenge (which made a level or two rather hairy for several restarts). However, I'm finding a couple of the levels entirely too challenging, and now can't get past the Florida level 9, which is dependent on increasing daily income to a specific amount. In fact, the only levels I've really had any trouble with were the ones involving income, thus far.

On the previous installment of this game, I had to restart several levels a number of times to beat them at expert level, but on this game I have been trying for days just to get nowhere on one level rather early in the game. I've even checked out tips and walkthroughs on the forum and still can't beat this level. At this point, I really want to play the rest of the game, so being stuck on this level is just annoying. I hope the developers spend a bit more time in beta testing before the next game so that the levels are a little more balanced and not so impossible to get through.

[Post New]by Sylfaen on Oct 21, 11 9:44 AM
I was addicted to the first one and I am currently loving the new one. Overall the game is an A for me.

Please add in a sandbox mode tho!

[Post New]by RoJoandRain on Oct 21, 11 12:08 PM
Poem123 wrote:For the people getting frustrated with trying to get expert, I have played the first half of the game over twice. The first time I found it impossible. The second time I got gold on every level with no effort. The trick is in buying every upgrade that becomes available asap and then using them. The other trick is to set up multiple short bus routes between A and B only, the shorter, the better, the less stops, the better.

This game is currently bugged at level 2-13. It affects a lot of us but not everyone. While I'm confident this will get fixed, we haven't had an acknowledgement. It is impossible for those affected to continue past this level until it is corrected. Please consider this before purchasing.

Also: this game is AWESOME. I love it.

Thanks POEM123, I will use your advice, as I found myself stuck in the very early levels, which was really surprising to me, as I breezed through VC. Specifically I had trouble with Utah 7 & 9.... (anything to do with the new office buildings) ...so I'll use your advice, and go from there. I really LOVE this game, and hope I will be able to access all levels....bug or no bug...lol.

ladymoon65
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ladymoon65 on Dec 25, 11 7:14 AM
I like this version of Virtual City but miss the Sandbox. Any chance of fitting one in?

This might be the answer all our problems.I get so far then give up and try again later.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Mar 8, 13 6:55 AM
More challenging than the first one, and I found it more fun as well. As mentioned in another thread, this one has no sandbox but there are plenty of scenarios that start you out with a basically bare map. After playing for gold, you can revisit these sites and use them just as though they were sandboxes - so the no-sandbox isn't an issue - for me, anyway.

[Post New]by tngirl195754 on Mar 13, 13 7:53 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Virtual City games!! I played the two that are out now and I like the sandbox mode in VC1 most! VC2 was great, but no Sandbox.. I hope you get another Virtual City out soon! Its way over-due!!

[Post New]by tngirl195754 on Mar 13, 13 7:55 AM
PS.. I own the 2 versions of virtual city that you have... I NEED another! Any idea when a new VC will be out??

Go to: