Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Comments for The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnon and the 12 Jewels

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 10, 11 3:22 AM
I lasted 8 minutes trying it out.

This game is so horrible that I'm not sure I even want to bestir myself to write a review of the desperately awful 8 minutes.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 10, 11 3:23 AM
peglegann wrote: {clipped}... Well said megwoman, I always try their games in the hope that they will improve and this one has! Not enough to buy but the dev's are at least trying to change.

I have long ago given up trying the demos of their games. It has historically been a complete waste of my time. I do however come and check the game forums just in case the unbelievable has happened and they have released a game that garners some faint praise. If that is ever the case, then I will enthusiastically download the demo and take it for a test drive. In the meantime, I just pass.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 10, 11 3:24 AM
Aw, c'mon Pepper010! You already "took one for the team" by trying the game out... You may as well write about it! I will be looking for your review...

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 10, 11 3:37 AM
Having read another bunch of awful comments and reviews for an HdO game, I did a bit of browsing around to see what I could find out about this developer. Not a lot as it happens. Apart from the fact they are French, very little seems to be known about them.

But it's very clear that the general opinion of their games is not limited to us fishies. Every review I read said the same thing; awful. It does make me wonder why they continue to churn these games out (and why BFG keep offering them) when apparently almost no-one ever buys them.

One would think someone at BFG would contact the developer and say 'your games don't sell, so either change their style and improve them or we won't offer them any more'.

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 10, 11 4:02 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Having read another bunch of awful comments and reviews for an HdO game, I did a bit of browsing around to see what I could find out about this developer. Not a lot as it happens. Apart from the fact they are French, very little seems to be known about them.

But it's very clear that the general opinion of their games is not limited to us fishies. Every review I read said the same thing; awful. It does make me wonder why they continue to churn these games out (and why BFG keep offering them) when apparently almost no-one ever buys them.

One would think someone at BFG would contact the developer and say 'your games don't sell, so either change their style and improve them or we won't offer them any more'.

I too have a lot of respect for BFG and am also perplexed as to why they keep offering the HdO games. And as you say, I can't imagine HdO has that many sales....so how can they afford to continue making these games? I just find it weird altogether. and Thanks for doing the research, it's oddly comforting to know that many others share my opinion!

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 4:07:57 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 10, 11 4:09 AM
Agent_99 wrote:
(clipped)...I too have a lot of respect for BFG and am also perplexed as to why they keep offering the HdO games. And as you say, I can't imagine HdO has that many sales....so how can they afford to continue making these games? I just find it weird altogether. Thanks for doing the research!

Could it be that BF has an agreement of some sort with HdO? A contract? For in such a case, it isn't easy to stop releasing their games of course...

Just thinking.

CasualGran

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 4:11:13 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 10, 11 4:19 AM
CasualGran wrote:
Agent_99 wrote:
(clipped)...I too have a lot of respect for BFG and am also perplexed as to why they keep offering the HdO games. And as you say, I can't imagine HdO has that many sales....so how can they afford to continue making these games? I just find it weird altogether. Thanks for doing the research!

Could it be that BF has an agreement of some sort with HdO? A contract? For in such a case, it isn't easy to stop releasing their games of course...

Just thinking.

CasualGran

I know, but a contract for how long? I don't have the best memory about these things, but it sure seems like we've been offered these games for some while. More than 2 years? Also, maybe BFG is stuck with some owning interest in the company? Nobody seems to have much info on the HdO company itself. Gosh don't get me started, i love conspiracy theories. Though obviously this could be just plain old big business

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 4:21:35 AM PST

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Oct 10, 11 4:29 AM
HdO= How damn odd!

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 4:30:28 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 10, 11 4:34 AM
poopysue wrote:HdO= How damn odd!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 10, 11 4:37 AM
Okay, I fully understand that a contract is binding but whose brilliant idea was it to get into a binding contract with these developers to begin with? I guess if you went to BFG HQ and looked for the employee with egg on his or her face you would find your culprit!

ETA: ROFLOL Poopysue... short and concise! (and funny!)

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 4:37:53 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 10, 11 4:41 AM
Becca_jxxx wrote:This is a Hdo game so I will not be downloading it.

You won't even TRY it???

HdO has made efforts to improve and I, for one, will always try a free demo not just reject out of hand.

I have bought one of their games and like it quite alot!

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 10, 11 4:43 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Okay, I fully understand that a contract is binding but whose brilliant idea was it to get into a binding contract with these developers to begin with? I guess if you went to BFG HQ and looked for the employee with egg on his or her face you would find your culprit!

ETA: ROFLOL Poopysue... short and concise! (and funny!)

I agree about the contract aspect. Maybe when both companies were starting out they put together the original contract? and BFG just became more successful? And they couldn't shake off HdO? Drat, that's a whole lot of "if"s. I still can't make sense of it.

[Post New]by Barbarabarb on Oct 10, 11 5:09 AM
I am obviously out on a limb here, but I like some of the Hdo games a lot, I bought Alice in Wonderland, loved the puzzles which were the original Tenniel drawings, and I bought another after that, cant think what it was now, but I know it stuck very close to the original story, as did Alice, and I really like that. Once you get used to the puzzled they are addictive, it just takes a little time. I am looking forward to trying the new one.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Oct 10, 11 5:19 AM
It is mentioned in the reviews section that this game has a moving screen. That alone is why I won't even demo. Have a great day everyone!

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 10, 11 6:36 AM
I agree with many others here about the lack of quality of the HdO-games.

I have read somewhere on another site (i dont remember it's name) that all these HdO-games are like 2 years old and developed around the same time. That is why they probably all have the same lay-out and the same lack of quality.

BFG seems to have bought these games as a 'package deal' and spreads the release of them over time.

So i assume BFG is perfectly aware they are selling crappy games. They just try to sneak in a HdO game from time to time and hope some people are stupid enough to buy them, without realising its yet another HdO-turd... lol

Edited on 10/10/2011 at 6:37:39 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 10, 11 6:59 AM
CasualGran wrote:
Agent_99 wrote:

Just thinking.

CasualGran

todays soft release should of been tgt...its awesome,,,and even if they do have a contract, i wonder if it specifies its gotta be tgt....

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Oct 10, 11 6:59 AM
Pepper010 wrote:I lasted 8 minutes trying it out.

This game is so horrible that I'm not sure I even want to bestir myself to write a review of the desperately awful 8 minutes.

You lasted longer than me with 8 minutes in. 5 minutes here and it went in the trash bin. The file size should've been the tip off. This game looks like one that was resurrected from about 10 years ago.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Oct 10, 11 7:26 AM
Very weird opening scene. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. Then I came to the forum and saw it is an HDO game. 'Nuff said, I'm dumping it.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 10, 11 8:00 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:
sonicflood132 wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:HdO game!

Not even worth it. These games are all the same: crappy.

I will not even try to improve on your post Sonicflood. That was a perfect summation to echo my thoughts.

ETA: I do have a question though. How is it that these devs keep churning these games out? The majority of BF members see the HdO name and run like the wind in the opposite direction. How do they stay financially afloat and keep making games like this one? I find this so curious... are the financially independent or something? Who are these guys?

I think they make money on volume, and the hopes that they can sell a game before someone realizes who the dev was. Really, all they need to do is get different artwork for each game - a minor expense compared to actually developing a new game each time. They probably only need to sell a couple of hundred each time to turn a profit.

I posted this in the Reviews thread (the one that isn't locked) but here is a list of the 16 HdO games released as of July 2010:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo
A Girl in the City
A Vampire Romance: Paris Stories
Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp: 1001 Nights
Alice in Wonderland: The Incredible Adventure
Around the World in 80 Days: The Challenge
Blake and Mortimer: Curse of the 30 Denarii
Bonnie and Clyde: Public Enemies
FBI: Paranormal Cases
Frankenstein: The Dismembered Bride
Hollywood: The Director's Cut
Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell
Profiler: The Hopscotch Killer
Secrets of the Vatican: The Holy Lance
The Time Machine: Trapped in Time
Treasure Island: The Golden Bug

As you might notice, this game isn't on it - so they apparently made another batch of games (in the 2010 they sold a batch of 6 games, so they seem to go for volume sales.)

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 10, 11 8:15 AM
I made some general Hdo comments earlier and then read a few, maybe 2 that said we should give HdO a chance and at least try the demo. Well, my Catholic girl guilt took over. I downloaded and started the demo. I found it pretty much the same as all the games HdO turns out. Clumsy mechanics, unimaginative game play bad graphics and irritating, badly done h.o. scenes.

When I got to the map where you're supposed to place the countries, I decided I had given it enough of my time and energy. When I got to the BF manager, I found I had only played 14 minutes. It felt much longer. I wasted download time, run time and delete time. No more HdO demos for me until I come to the forum and can find at least 10 favorable comments. My time is valuable to me and even a free credit is worth something to me. This game is not. Congratulations HdO, once again you haven't failed to disappoint me.

After rereading this post, this game also put me in a mood. Think I'll go play something to take this taste out of my mouth.

Go to: