bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 13, 11 5:46 AM
EXCELLENT! I played the demo in Casual mode and it was a bit on the easy side for me but a whole lot of fun. I will play on Expert when I purchase. I finished the demo with 12 min. to spare.

I love any game that moves you to different times and places. You don't get bored with the same areas.

This has fantastic mini games! They make you think but aren't unsolvable and can be skipped. The story is great as well as background music. The sound effects were incredibly real (chainsaw).

There are seven chapters and bonus play. So the length should be good.

The only downfall with this game that I could see were the hidden object scenes. They were a lot fun and interactive but blurry. Not enough to change my opinion of the game but if I found any bad points to it this is it

I would break my no CE rule and buy immediately if I hadn't already broken that rule twice already this month

Definite out of 5.

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 5:47:50 AM PST

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Oct 13, 11 6:25 AM
I loved the graphics on this one and there were some new ideas in puzzles. But, I'm a bit worried about the length of the game. I wasn't pushing it and I finished the demo in 33 minutes. Sometimes I like to see how fast I can work the games but this time I was enjoying the scenery. Maybe what should be done next was too obvious ... I don't remember having any "WTF do I do next!" moments.

A very nice game to play but I'm not sure if it is worth the CE price if it will be easy and short.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 6:45 AM
For those fishies who can`t decide whether to get the CE and wonder what the bonus game is about, Imbrium has added a MAJOR SPOILER in the "Comments" thread, which tells us what you do in the bonus game.

I haven`t bought a CE in a while, because I have been disappointed with most of their bonus games. However, this one is a must have, IMO.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 13, 11 7:10 AM
Well I bought the game because I played the demo and the hogs were pretty easy. So, BF you made another $14.00 off me because I wasn't allowed to use 2 of the 3 game credits I have, thanks

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 13, 11 7:22 AM
What can I say about this game. I am totally blown away. By sheer coincidence, the last 4 games I played were all from ERS. Man, they rock!

I loved the second chapter with all the toys. When Barbie walked out of the dolls house, I burst out laughing.

Now for chapter 3. I didn't even trial this one. I watched the video and looked at the screenshots and that was enough for me to know I'd love this game. I simply couldn't envisage trialling it only to download it all over again. Oh, the wait! I dived straight in and I'm loving it.

I am going to have to try the first one after this one, then the MCF games, and the remaining EA Poe games after I finished the Premature Burial and loved that one also.

Play this, fishies. You won't be disappointed.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Oct 13, 11 7:35 AM
This game has what is expected of the Dev, great graphics, good gameplay, mysterious and scary story. I, however, found it very disturbing. The first thing I had to do was turn off the sound because the music was just too creepy. After that, it was not much fun without sound.

I have played quite a few macabre games and I think that I own all, or at least most, of the games by ERS. I tend to want to purchase them as soon as I see it is an ERS game. For some reason, I found this game so upsetting to me that I may not buy it. I hate to pass up this game and will have to think about it. It may just be too upsetting for me.

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Oct 13, 11 8:09 AM
Really enjoying this demo and will be purchasing the full game.This is the best ERS Game for a while as have not been impressed with recent titles and ERS Games used to be a automatic purchase for me.Great story,graphics,puzzles and even an improvement on the music and sound.Really liked the acorn nut juggling squirrel which brought a touch of light relief to a really dark and at times disturbing game.Hope ERS Games can keep this standard up and they will be back on my buy list.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 13, 11 8:18 AM
I dl'd this without much hope of it working as an ERS on my fussy laptop but LO AND BEHOLD it ran fine - have ERS changed their software for me?

I liked it. Graphics - good. Story - well, same old same old, but it works. Trouble is, I think it was TOO easy. Took 35 mins to do the demo, and didn't get stuck once (I lie, I used the SG to check about making the fire as I was in a hurry to get finished and go out somewhere, oops should be leaving in about 1 minute actually!)

And the MUSIC!!!! For goodness sake ERS, change the tune! It was driving me mad, playing that same old Puppetshow/Maestro soundtrack ad nauseam. Can you PLEASE get your composer out of retirement and give them something to do?!

All in all, an enjoyable enough game for a few hours (probably less than 3 though) of entertainment if you fancy breezing through a game. For me, and at the CE price, a no-go. But I am happy to find a working ERS game and as long as the SE runs when it is released, this will be a buy. I just don't think it's worth $13.99.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 13, 11 9:07 AM
DLing to try, but the screenshots don't impress. I loved the first HH, but it was so much more adventure than HOG, and the puzzles were challenging. I don't remember the HOG scenes being quite that junkpiley, but maybe I'm wrong. And this one is definitely more colorful and less atmospherically gloomy - and the story: Sphera, anyone? (A game I did like, BTW.)

Sadly, I'm losing my enthusiasm for casual games. There are really good ones I can't live without, but they are really few and far between. It seems to me that a developer comes on the scene, makes a couple of great games, and then the quality goes in the crapper. Maybe not in terms of production values, but in terms of challenging play.

I'm sorry. I don't like easy games. If ONLY someone would make another Riven. Or at least another Machinarium. But I guess if they make the games easy, and fast to do, people will buy more of them. I played Riven for about a year, and it was worth the $40 it cost when it came out.

As in most things, the profit motive is killing the quality - though in core games, they are still expensive and lengthy.

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Oct 13, 11 9:29 AM
Man I love the games from this developer. They're always so cool. What can you say about ERS that hasn't been said. Only that I wish the games came out more frequently. They're always worth the money.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 13, 11 10:11 AM
Fantastic game! Very nice puzzles and Hid obj scenes, creative graphic and magic!
I just finished the trial version and I have to keep going to play it, so I got it, really awsome so far! Thanks ERS., another winner for BFG, and your team!!

jsfurman
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jsfurman on Oct 13, 11 10:20 AM
It's not bad however, to be honest, I have not found one game in the past 2 years that has been as well done as "Dire Grove". Big Fish, in my opinion can create teh best games out there but they are too few and far between. Is there anything new coming from BFG in teh near future that can compare to the level of Dire Grove?

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 13, 11 10:42 AM
I have the first game, Green Hills, and really liked it. This one is equally as good. Great graphics, voice overs, special FX and game play. HOGs fairly easy so far, games almost too easy so far, but I like this game and will definitely purchase it.

We do, however, need some good SE games so we can use our credits before they expire. Letting them expire will not keep people coming here to buy games if they can't find anything worth buying. We need more good SE games and fewer CE games. I looked back and when I joined over 2 years ago, we didn't have hardly any CE games, but we did have great SE games. Let's get back to basics for awhile.

Thanks for all the reviews.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 13, 11 10:49 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood is the second in the Haunted Halls series from ERS. Up front options are the typical sliders for music and sound, options for full screen and custom cursor. Two play modes are offered, Regular and Expert, with sparkles showing active areas and HOS in Regular mode and no indicators in Expert mode. However, playing in Expert Mode still provides clues everytime something is retreived or clicked on, something I would like to see stopped. What is the point of having an expert mode if the game is going to tell me everything anyway?

The game starts with the usual opening cut scene. It's done very well except for grammar "for those who fear - he takes". Voiceovers, especially for the children, are much better. The music is good and suited to the opening scenes, but there needs to be more than one track. Hearing the same thing over and over starts to jangle the nerves.

The HOS scenes continue to disappoint. The foregrounds are done well, with objects added flawlessly. Backgrounds are washed out, with objects that jut out obtrusively because they are poorly drawn and added. Example: In the first HOS going to the cabin, the left background looks pretty good and shows a bird and a wolf that bob their heads, but the right background looks terrible with all the badly added objects.

The story also seems to be missing the same "thriller" feeling of the first. The child in the tree with the wolf didn't even raise a goosebump on me. In fact, nothing in the demo really gave me that old creepy feeling of the first one.

I'm sure there will be many who enjoy the game and for that I am happy. Here's hoping you rescue Tim!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 13, 11 11:32 AM
Another beautifully crafted game from ERS, this time a move away from the 'same old' formula into something more creative. I wonder if they have two lots of devs, one doing the standard fare and the other with more inventive thought processes!

Anyway, it's lovely to look at, rescuing children from things that would scare many adults and in between solving some creative puzzles. I found it absorbing, if somewhat easier than I expected playing in expert mode.

However, ERS managed again to turn a triumph into a disaster by ruining the bonus chapter (which was short and far too HOS heavy) with sparkles everywhere. If you play the main game in expert mode, you should have the option to do the same in the bonus chapter. I was actually glad it was so short, the sparkles were just irritating.

No widescreen for me either; resolution at 1920x1080 which is the optimal setting for my monitor. This has only been an issue since my NVidia graphics card died and was replaced with a Radeon.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 11:34 AM
I just finished the game, and it`s the first time in a long time where I can say that I don`t regret having bought the CE.

The animations alone in this game are superb. There are so many fun and entertaining things happening, it`s incredible. I just loved it all.

I can`t say that the game was short - I certainly played for quite a few hours - but to be honest, just because a game is long, doesn`t mean it`s a good game. Quality is what counts, and that is what I got with this game.

Some peeps said the game was too easy. Well, perhaps. Although it didn`t appear super difficult, there were moments when I was running forth and back, wondering what I had to do next. And besides... I don`t care to play a game where I need to consult a walkthrough at all times.

The IHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are somewhat cluttered, but because of the superb graphics, images, and colours, it didn`t matter much to me.

The only slight problem I had with the game was when I spoke to Tim or rather he spoke to me, and all of a sudden I got an error message and the game closed down.
However, when I re-entered the game, it just continued from where it had closed down. That was just before I finished the main game. Other than that, the game ran smoothly.

I always loved the characters in ERS games - especially the kids - and I have asked many times to see more characters throughout the game, and I got my wish with this game.

The main game was really great. And the bonus game was not a disappointment - something I can`t say for a lot of other CEs.

Thank you, ERS. I am really happy with this game.

Edited to add some colours.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 12:56:42 AM PST

Milo13
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Milo13 on Oct 13, 11 12:11 PM
Did anyone else spot Stalin as the mustached man in one of the hidden object scenes? Maybe it's just me.

I enjoyed the other Haunted Hills game and if you liked the music in that one, you'll absolutely love the music in this one (hint: it's exactly the same)

I did like the originality of the scenes setup. I've never seen a game where you're in some kind of well floating in space or a juggling squirrel (cute!).

I think I've played too many of these games. The graphics, music, characters, background all seem they're reused & recycled from previous games. I guess it's...economical?

Has anyone made a list of all the typical items one needs to find in any given hidden object game? Like binoculars, glasses, feathers, dragonflies, inkpots, shovels, bones, etc.

Back on topic: If you haven't played that many hidden object games and you like the won't-someone-please-think-of-the-children theme, you will enjoy this one.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 13, 11 12:59 PM
All in all an OK game, but doubtfull if it's really special.

Totally agree. I loved ERS games - it was like going to an amazing movie, but they are tired and I am too. Vacation time people!!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 13, 11 1:03 PM
A little late to add my kudos, but here it is KUDOS! Great game. Playing it while I am stuck in the latest Nancy Drew game, Alibi in Ashes. No competition because BF carries these games about a few months after they are released. These ERS games are relaxing and not as nerve racking. Not too fond the latest Drew I must admit with all the going back and forth between characters. Anyway, great game as always, ERS A+++

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 13, 11 2:56 PM
Love it.. and was sad when the trial ended. Would love to get it.. but have to weigh my options right now. The graphics were great as with all ERS games. Liked the story line and music was creepy.. Puzzles were ok too. Only had to skip one but did that because I wanted to see how far I could get. Will have to wait and see about buying it or not. but if not the CE it will be the SE for sure..

Go to: