KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Re:Reviews for Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Oct 14, 11 1:27 PM
Once I got into this game, I realized it was an old one. I had this game a long time ago. I didn't remember it until I got to the train station. The boxes that had to be moved cinched it. This is NOT new. I don't think I'll get it again as I find it to be very frustrating at times. Not my cup of tea!

Happy gaming fishies!

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Oct 14, 11 1:37 PM
My overall review is that this is an okay game but nothing really special. Good enough for me to spend a credit on even though it hasn't so far grabbed my interest after playing for over an hour.

The hog scenes are fairly easy, the puzzles are reasonable, the voice acting is only so-so bearing in mind what an awful script they're working from.

Anyway, I needed a game for the weekend and this one was in the "it will do" category.

ED. Finally struggled through to the end of the game and rather wish I hadn't bothered. What a ridiculous ending. Almost appears to have been done by someone on LSD. Parts of the game were really good and innovative, but what a silly finale.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 4:01:22 PM PST

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Oct 14, 11 5:14 PM
KathyGriggs wrote:Once I got into this game, I realized it was an old one. I had this game a long time ago. I didn't remember it until I got to the train station. The boxes that had to be moved cinched it. This is NOT new. I don't think I'll get it again as I find it to be very frustrating at times. Not my cup of tea!

Happy gaming fishies!

I'm with you, KathyGriggs. From the reviews, I expected to enjoy this one. I was so bored, I gave up--just the nonsense of talking to a lady in the station to inquire about a ticket agent made me yawn. We're in the minority, but I agree with you & layzeedaisy...nothing special here.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Oct 14, 11 5:30 PM
hideobjectaddict wrote:
Sablesshadow wrote:
MEnr56 wrote:

I may one day buy this game as a daily deal but I don't rush to buy games that freeze up almost every time that I click on the "windows' button to escape out of the game to check on the walkthrough.

MEnr56

MEnr56, I found a good way to jump back and forth from the game to the walkthrough, and I hope it helps. I open one browser for the game, and another for the walkthrough. When I want to go from game to walkthrough, I hit both Alt and Tab, and it sends you immediately to the walkthrough.

When I want to go back from the walkthrough to the game, I just click on the little icon of the game on the bottom of my screen. HTH

Thanks so much Sableshadow & Slapahojo for that tip, still don't know how to use most of the different combo's of my keyboard yet. This is a great one! hideobjectaddict

You're more than welcome, hideobjectaddict, sometimes the tips found in CCC are worth more than gold! Someone was good enough to tell me about this, as I was continually closing down the game, and having to reopen it. Now it's a snap!

pjhundt
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by pjhundt on Oct 14, 11 8:44 PM
Who Beta tested this game? The translation errors are very annoying. Who knew that "Beams" was actually pieces of firewood? In one HOS you have to find a "Chandelier" - a candelabra. In another HOS you have to find a candle holder - the exact same candelabra that was previously a chandelier. Did anyone else notice the spelling for the 3rd suspect changed: Holy, Howlie, Howl??
All these inconsistenies and errors made this a very frustrating game. Wish I could get my money back.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 15, 11 9:16 AM
As much as I enjoy this game: graphics are great, and I like the change from day to nighttime. And I like the gameplay as well.

However, there are 2 things that are really disappointing.
One is the translation of object names. Almost every, nay, every HOS (hidden object scene) has words in its list that are incorrect and do not correspond to the objects themselves.

I am rather disappointed that BigFish actually allowed this game to be sold here with all these errors, and I mean, there are lots of them, not just the odd one here or there.

I am also rather disappointed that the developers haven`t taken it upon themselves to clean up the game and change as much of the errors as possible so that we could at least have a cleaner Standard Edition of the game.

Secondly, I have to complain about the clickability of objects, mainly in the HOS. For example, I just clicked on a bone, because the list gave me "bone" (one of the few words that were correct). I clicked on it and clicked on it and clicked on it - thank goodness there is not penality for misclicking.

When my finger started to hurt from clicking on the bone - anywhere on the bone - I used the HINT to show me whether there might be another bone somewhere.
But no... it was this bone. So I kept clicking on it until finally I found a spot which allowed the bone to be taken off the list.

This happened with several objects I have encountered in the HOS. Poor clickabiliy is a no-no when it comes to HOS, IMO.

Both the above put a damper on my enthusiasm I have for this game. This is a fantastic game, I think, and would have been even better if more care would have been given to the translation and to the clickability of the objects. Really frustrating, to say the least.

And I still don`t understand why BigFish isn`t checking these game before distributing them. They say they check them out, but this time it must have been done by a non-English speaker.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 2:17:00 AM PST

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Oct 15, 11 10:19 AM
I really tried but I do not like this game. Too dark and too unnecessarily convoluted for me.eg-the nonsense bit with the woman at the ticket booth. Kept thinking it would get better but, sigh, it didn't. Also found the action a bit jerky and slow. Realize I have just finished the Maple Creek game which was wonderful so maybe I am judging it too harshly.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 15, 11 12:32 PM
Great game! Graphics were awesome, voice overs were well done & story line was good as well. I loved the talking skull & wished they would have included it much earlier in the game than they did. No tech. or download problems.

4 1/2

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 16, 11 4:34 AM
I just finished the game, and enjoyed everything about it - a very unique game it was - except for the many, many, many appalling mistakes made in the translation, and the way some objects in the HOS were almost impossible to click.

[Post New]by AnnieP on Oct 16, 11 3:59 PM
Sablesshadow wrote:
You're more than welcome, hideobjectaddict, sometimes the tips found in CCC are worth more than gold! Someone was good enough to tell me about this, as I was continually closing down the game, and having to reopen it. Now it's a snap!

I certainly agree with that. Another one is playing the games from the icon on your desktop, instead of usung the GM because it takes so long to load and close down.

But,

I discovered something interesting that probably everyone else already knows!!

I was trying to use the Alt/Tab trick and some times it worked, and sometimes nothing would happen. I think it's OK if you play using the GM, but if you bypass that step, then it won't work.
Has anyone else had that problem too?

I know this isn't a review but it really pays to read the forums - there always seems to be some help available.

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Oct 16, 11 4:35 PM
I'm with Angelfish....not a popular comment among the others but didn't care for the game. I played it before, guess it was the CE version. Definitely a no buy on the CE and not on the SE either. All the games I want to buy are CE's. I have a free game from a punch card but told me I couldn't use it on a CE. I thought you could. Since I'm unemployed right now I'll just have to wait on the other games to come out as SE. As for this game it is a definite pass.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Oct 16, 11 4:44 PM
Not a fan of this one. I agree with Valdy, the objects clickable areas are no more correct than the names by which they are listed. No directions on the minigames and the Hints are only good for finding objects - they don't help if you just need a nudge to find the next direction. The graphics are well drawn, but the dialogue is awful. Disappointing follow up to the recent great SE games.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 17, 11 4:18 AM
I love this game; the artwork is a little unusual & the graphics clear & well coloured, watch the BFG logo at the top of the game as Felix looks like a film noir detective, brilliant. There are voiceovers but you can skip the dialogue if you wish, they are not the best but better than a lot I have heard & some of it is quite witty & added to my enjoyment.

There are two modes; Casual with lots of sparkles & glints or Hard which has sparkles for H0 scenes only. You have to earn hints by completing tasks or mini games & you get a diary which tells the story as you move along & gives a task list.

The mini games are a little more involved than the usual & it makes this an interesting game to play, there is a skip button. The H0 scenes usually have an interactive object, most of the objects are easy to find but some can be well blended & some objects are a little oddly named. I did find it difficult occasionally to pick up an item as I could not quite find the correct spot so took a few clicks to get it into inventory.

Due to the translation errors in naming objects & the problems picking up items I shall wait until I have a punchcard coupon before adding this to my list of games.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Oct 17, 11 2:44 PM
Not a bad little game. Music and graphics ok. It was way to heavy on the HOS and not enough puzzle or adventure for my taste so I only finished about 40 minutes of the demo before I got bored.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Oct 18, 11 4:19 PM
angelfish106 wrote:In the minority here but I didn't like this game. I turned off the custom cursor as always but then it doesn't change to a hand or arrow or whatever else is necessary to know even vaguely what needs to be collected or where to go. It wasn't widescreen so some areas where I was supposed to move to were actually outside my playing screen. I also didn't care for the graphics, not as sharp as they could have been. No buy for me.
I noticed that about the custom cursor right away so I switched back. I haven't had any problems with the custom cursor, I just prefer my own. I think I like this game and I remember I didn't buy the CE { if I'm not mistaken} because I couldn't access the SG in the trial. I ran into trouble and couldn't figure out what to do next. With the WT available I may buy.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Ahhh...creativity makes a reappearance...

[Post New]by mycatluna on Oct 19, 11 9:53 PM
Finally-something unique!

I really enjoyed this game-had a great time playing. I thought the voice-overs were done well (unlike the TERRIBLE voice acting in Redemption Cemetery Children's Plight-yeesh) and the graphics are clean and crisp and consistent with the old-time 40's feel of the game. Even the objects in the Hidden Object scenes are consistent with the time period portrayed.

I was immediately bummed when I didn't see a wide-screen option but it turned out to be okay-the graphics still looked great on my wide-screen so no complaints there.

With this game I never knew what to expect and the ending, which some have complained about as being weird, is really a lot of fun and does tie in nicely with the story. There are so many different locations! Big thumbs up there...

There is plenty to do and I found it a perfect balance between Adventure, Puzzle, Action and Hidden Object.

This is a game I will definitely play again as it is so unique. I can tell quite a lot of work went into this game and I can't wait for the next installment.

Great job developers, and aside from a few translation errors, keep up the great (and original) work.

Cheers!

mycatluna

PS: I spent several hours with this game: I'd guess around 4 hours plus? Regardless, very decent game length.

[Post New]by smartvalerie on Oct 22, 11 5:44 PM
MEnr56 wrote:

I may one day buy this game as a daily deal but I don't rush to buy games that freeze up almost every time that I click on the "windows' button to escape out of the game to check on the walkthrough.

MEnr56

Don't you go through options & untick the full screen? then you can bring up the walkthrough without losing your game, when you click full screen again most games have a continue to them. Easy!

MEnr56 wrote:

MEnr56

Don't you go through options & untick the full screen? then you can bring up the walkthrough without losing your game, when you click full screen again most games have a continue to them. Easy!

MEnr56 wrote:

MEnr56

MEnr56 wrote:

MEnr56

Go to: