Re:Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Jan 15, 12 10:36 AM
I finished the demo with 18 minutes to spare which is VERY UNUSUAL for me and I didn't skip any of the puzzles. Read where it might be a short game but with the sale this weekend I think I'll buy.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on May 14, 12 3:09 PM
i thought this game had a just-thrown-together feel, similar to 'masquerade'. the mini-games were, for the most part, the usual suspects, the graphics seemed hurriedly done, and the story--despite an interesting beginning---quickly degenerated into a jumble. it's a shame, since this developer used to put some care into its games. now it seems all formula and rush.

in the end, it was mainly one H0 scene after another. i found these kind of odd. most of the objects were so obvious that they could be found one after the other. after that, there were several that were so obscure, it could take minutes to find each one.

no flow. not a lot of enjoyment. incredibly brief.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on May 17, 12 6:15 PM
I got pulled into the story and I liked the surprise ending. The voiceovers were really well done and I liked the interactive HO scenes some of the items were very well hidden.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 13, 12 8:55 AM
We will buy this game.-------doug & lisa

[Post New]by Butterflyshrimp on Jun 13, 12 9:37 AM
Did anyone happen to count the total HOS and total puzzles seperately in this game? I did at the time I played it but have forgotten.

Thank you

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 23, 12 8:53 AM
Just found this gem of a game after Big Fish suggested it after playing another one.
I do not know how I missed this!
The graphics are very clear, the storyline is intriguing. I played through the demo straight until time was up and wanted more.
This is definitely on my list of MUST BUY soon!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 28, 12 11:18 PM
I just finished the game and I have to say that I loved every minute of it! The story was creepy and suspenseful. The graphics were very good. The music reminded me of B horror movie music - very appropriate for this game.

The games were interesting and not difficult. The HOS were a bit different. I really enjoyed finding some strange items that I have not run across in other games.

I loved the story. I loved the ending.

My only complaints are that I had to click on items several times in the HOS to get them to "pick up." I am also a bit confused by the WT as it states there are 30 gold bags to find but I never found one. The WT doesn't say it's for the CE so I don't know why my game had no gold bags. I even went back and checked, changing my name, and heading straight for the first bag. Uh uh. It was not there.

Other than that, this game has been one of the most enjoyable I have played and I am looking forward to more from this dev.

I give it four out of five kitties. Have fun! This game is a lot of fun, especially on a rainy day!

Edited on 08/28/2012 at 11:20:53 PM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

just ok SPOILER

[Post New]by chumface on Sep 23, 12 6:30 PM
It was just 'so so" for me...alot say the story is good, OK.

highlite below to read...

so, at the end you find out you are dead and so is everyone else, been done before!

Edited on 09/23/2012 at 6:32:05 PM PST

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Oct 9, 12 6:59 AM
Other than, for the most part being dark, I hate the fact that when you click on a hint, it tells you "nothing left to do here" but doesn't lead you in the right direction for where there IS something to do. You could navigate this game for days and keep going around in circles because of this.

Edited on 10/09/2012 at 6:59:56 AM PST

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jan 15, 13 2:17 AM
This was a cool game. It has a neat story and the ending is great. The graphic's were good. The HOS were plentiful and the puzzles good too. I liked this game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 21, 13 10:56 PM
Kinda Mediocre

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Nothing has changed my opinion of this game in the last year, it’s still only so-so and there is much better out there, but the game is straightforward to play, and the puzzles are pretty easy. (Always a plus for me!)

I make a luke warm recommendation for this game!

EARLIER REVIEW PUBLISHED GAME WEB PAGE 11 JAN 2012

Middle of the Road

The lousy thing about the latest and biggest monitor i could afford is that it shows up all the flaws in the graphics not seen on a smaller screen. I played this in windowed mode because the graphics were bad enough to interfere with my enjoyment playing full screen. Creep factor is good though.

This game is not bad, but would never make my A list. The story is fairly vague and the ending is, well, different than I expected; not overly convincing. It took me a long time to get into it, and the game isn't that long, so that was a negative.

On the positive, the puzzles were easy enough for me to complete most of them without skipping, and the HO scenes were interactive and unusually creative, with things like braille and binary code and plaid to look for. The logical flow was good, you never really get stuck wondering what to do next, and there is little toing and froing.

Overall an average sort of a game. I'd like to see something similar from the designers, with improved technicals.
Probably not a game to appeal to hard core HOPA players, though there is a harder level. For newer players, I think it'd be quite good.

I recommend this game!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jul 19, 13 9:36 PM
Used a coupon to buy, glad I did really enjoyed it.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 19, 14 11:30 PM
Agony Creek SE

Part one of three:

THIS IS NOT AN AGONIZING GAME

While Agony Creek is not a glitzy game, it absolutely delivers what I was looking for: menace, malice and spooks aplenty. I completed this game in 5 hours on a Macbook Pro. As I've said many times, I'm not a fast player. I can only conclude that this is not a long game.

One after another, recently, I've been playing high-profile games that were strong on pedigree, graphics and music. They had flashy (though not necessarily challenging or, even, fun) games and HOGs. In other words, there was plenty of glitz. The total, however, was far less than the sum of its parts. Not so, Agony Creek. Here, taken individually, any of the categories (except Storyline) by which we judge just how good a game is, might come up on the short end of 4 stars. Conversely, taken as a whole, Agony Creek is a mysterious, dark delight and I was instantly captivated.

FUN FACTOR:
Well, I played it from start to finish and didn't grumble once. I've been finding, lately, that I just can't wait for a game to end. Even games that aren't bad are testing my patience and as I near the end I really just want them to be over with. Do you ever feel that way? I'm happy to report that wasn't the case for me with Agony Creek. I had lots of fun.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY:
Visuals: Though not particularly crisp or High Def, visually the game supported the gloomy nature of the story. There was pouring rain throughout the game and it was very realistic. I love that. Somehow, rain really communicates scariness and can put a chill in my bones. It was a good call by the designers to have a low-pressure system running through Agony Creek right while I was visiting town.
The feel of the game was dreary as the weather and the, primarily, dark tones of items was perfect. There was a mausoleum and graveyard, an abandoned shack-house with the obligatory broken-down car...You got the picture now. All of this added up to something good to watch...
...and, good to hear...

Sounds: The music accompanying the game was well chosen. It felt and sounded spooky. What more could I ask of it? The voice-overs, while not plentiful, were sufficient and well done. I'm struggling to remember if there was lip-synching and I think the answer is no. If there was, it didn't stand out. What did stand out, however, was the mood of the game and the soundtrack more than adequately provided the right tone.

To be continued…

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 11:34:49 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 19, 14 11:31 PM
Continuation: Part two of three:

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE:
HOGs: There were 18, if my count is correct. Each was a list-pick and the majority had a couple of interactive items. They were well described, well hidden and thematically appropriate (I hate an HOS in a really dank, scary, murderous game that pops up with a LOLLIPOP!!! What is that doing here????). The items weren't junk piles. They provided a reasonable challenge (particularly the last item of each scene...of course...)

Mini-Games: These were very easy and needed to be more challenging. If they were, it would have lifted Agony Creek to a fifth star overall. If you play these games looking for a tough puzzle, you will be left wanting. There was one mini-game, of the 15 total, that was a lot of fun and was reasonably challenging: I'll just call it the "paint game." I think you’ll recognize it when you see it.

General game play: "Where to go next" was not always obvious to me and therein rests the principal challenge of the game: you will not be spoon-fed. I definitely had to scout around to determine what to do next.

This is also where I would locate the principal deficits of the game, however: a) there isn't a map, and, b) the hint system sucks. Lack of map=self-explanatory. “Hint system sucks”= click the hint button and you get the prompt "There's nothing to do here." OK. Well, can you tell me a little bit more than that, please? More than once I proceeded through every location in the game to figure out what to do or where I should be. This was especially unnerving when my inventory bar was empty. A map or a more-finely tuned hint system would have really helped.

Well, am I now complaining about what I just praised: the game doesn't spoon-feed but I'm looking for more spoon-feeding? I'm sure there's a happy medium. Although Agony doesn't provide it, it's not a fatal flaw.

To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 19, 14 11:32 PM
Continuation: Part three of three

STORYLINE:
You wake up in a dingy shack...shackled. You get free. You receive a phone call, source unknown at the time, warning you about a female officer of the law who's suspect #1 in a killing spree that has taken several lives so far. Luckily for you (and for us) the cop has arrived just as the warning call ends. She tells you to go to the bathroom to rinse off before she takes you to the station. You climb through the broken window, instead, and are off and running…and so is Cursed Memory: The Secret of Agony Creek.

For future reference: There is a Collector's Edition available. Please forget about it. You’d pay more than twice the price of the SE to get the following:
a. An additional chapter that contains 6 HOGs and Mini-games each.
b. A strategy guide.
c. A collectable (30 bags of not particularly well-hidden gold). These aren’t challenging finds…but then they couldn’t be: if you don’t locate 10 of the bags you can’t see the Collectible Art. If you don’t locate 20 of the bags you can’t replay the game music. If you don’t locate all 30 bags of gold you can’t replay the mini-games. In other words, if you don’t find all the collectible bags that you paid to hunt down by buying the Collector’s Edition, you can’t access all the other stuff that you paid for when you bought the Collector’s Edition.

Hunh? This doesn’t seem right.

That's it for the CE! No Achievements, no morphs, no re-playable HOS and no guarantee of repayable mini-games, music or concept art. Consequently, I recommend the SE only. BUT I do so heartily!!!

Go to: