Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Oct 16, 11 8:52 AM
bratzgram wrote: The few things that I didn't like?
At a point you put a map together but unless you purchase the game you don't know if you actually use the map. It's a CE

I don't know what you mean by this comment: if it's the map for the boat to the island, you can indeed use it in the demo.

Like most people who have posted here, I really like Vogat games and greatly appreciate both the ability to select the difficulty level, as well as the possibility of playing the first part of the bonus game. The minigames aren't overly hard, and there's a wide variety of them, and the hidden object scenes have some new items (as mentioned above, a wood shaving) and a few items are quite tricky to find (the eye in the bonus content). The interactive items in the hidden object scenes are generally not too hard to find, but at least they are logical.

As fun as the game is, I still don't know if I will purchase it: I completed the demo (which ends in chapter 2) on expert level in 45 minutes and the demo of the bonus chapter in 11 minutes, so I'm going to wait and read the comments about the length of the game.

cpatten1
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by cpatten1 on Oct 16, 11 9:12 AM
I love this game! Great game play and the hint button is wonderful. Didn't even need to check the sg because the hint button works so well. Beautiful graphics. I was a little disappointed because no voice overs but then I realized that I read faster than they talk and they usually slow me down anyway. Off to play. Thanks bf and vogat for another awesome game!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Oct 16, 11 9:17 AM
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Guardians of Beyond: Witchville by Vogat is about a town whose inhabitants become "ghosts" without the benefit of dying. You play the part of a psychic who, after receiving a call from a co-worker already in Witchville, heads out to help unravel the mystery.

Up front options include sliders for sound and music, buttons for custom cursor, widescreen and fullscreen. Three play options are available: Casual-which includes the full array of sparkles, tutorial, quick filling hint and skip buttons; Advanced - No sparkles, tutorial, slower filling hint and skip buttons; Expert - No tutorial, no sparkles, no hints, no skips. (Note to developers - please read) However, even if playing in expert mode, everything that is clicked on and everything that is retrieved contains hints stating what needs to be accomplished or the purpose of the item, thus defeating the purpose of expert mode. In a game that has a built in strategy guide/walkthrough and a hint system for those that wish to use them, why does the game have to have all of these embedded hints? Okay - rant over.

The storyline is interesting and the graphics are excellent. The HOS are very well rendered and creatively done. None of the objects are small, but some are artfully hidden, which I like. There are no voiceovers, something I can take or leave, but the ambient FX are very good with water movement, wind blowing, etc.

I'm purchasing the game, so I'm off to download and play.

GREAT review Tex! I also enjoyed yours too, Cherb!

Oh MY COD!!!
I just made a COMMENT in the REVIEWS section!!!

So Sue me!
LOL!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 16, 11 9:34 AM
I hate to admit this, because it's Vogat and I usually like their games, but I was getting bored with this one. The sneak peek at the bonus chapter only lasted about 10 minutes if that long. It was extremely short and took you to the second page of the bonus game page in the SG.

I then moved onto the main game and played in expert. You shouldn't have any trouble playing in expert mode as it's largely H0 scenes with a little bit of wandering around in between. The few puzzles I encountered were extremely easy. The story wasn't really grabbing my attention either and after about 30 minutes, I got annoyed with the continual music loop and turned down the volume. It is beautifully drawn and the animation is pretty good if not stellar. There are no voice overs.

When I reached the thousandth H0 scene, I ended the demo and found I had 8 minutes left. So a total of about 40 minutes on the main game and I was already well into chapter 2 out of 5.

The bonus game play suggests that the main game doesn't have a complete ending, so anyone who waits for the SE may find themselves left hanging.

This is a pass for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 16, 11 10:09 AM
I too wasn`t overly excited about this game. It`s not the graphics or the gameplay (although I really find all that constant whispering very annoying - have had that sound in several games), but I think it`s the places we are at. Everything is abandoned with blue ghostlike people, and everything else also is just different shades of blue - it all looks rather depressing.

I tried the bonus game - kudos for allowing us to do so - and must say that I much rather liked it than the main game. The graphics seemed clearer and nicer and there are actually some colours - other than the watery blue.

Anyway, I have decided to wait for the SE to come out.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Oct 16, 11 1:49 PM
I was beginning to think I was the only one not crazy about this game. Maybe I need to take a break from these, but just couldn't get into the story and really didn't care if the ghosts were helped.
Colors were dingy (brown and blue). Maybe it gets better later but think I will pass.
For those who bought, enjoy!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 16, 11 2:24 PM
I was excited about another new Vogat game (I have them all), but was a bit disappointed in this one. Very dark, HOGs were a little too dark for some items. Story line okay, but didn't really tell you anything to get you started, just sort of threw you into the game. Because of this, you are a bit confused as to what you are doing here and why. Graphics nice, as usual, music okay. Will have to think about this one. Will put it in my "probably buy if nothing better comes along this month" box. Happy gaming.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 16, 11 3:36 PM
Just finished the trial version and it's a good game. Graphics were great and puzzles good. Storyline isn't bad either and enjoyed playing as long as I did. Never got in the Lighthouse but it might be because I am not as fast a fish as I used to be. I have so many games to play right now that I will wait until later to buy when it's a SE. Don't know how you fishes can keep up with all the games.

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 3:48 PM
Dear players,

Vogat team is very happy that you like our new game. I wish you enjoy it.

If you want to see our other recent games (I hope you'll like them too):
— F.A.C.E.S.
— Elixir of Immortality
— Gravely Silent: House of Deadlock
— Reincarnations: Back to Reality
— Reincarnations: Uncover the Past
— Shades of Death
— Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone
— Dark Ritual

Our old games (maybe you want to play):
— Reincarnations: The Awakening
— Veronica Rivers: The Order of the Conspiracy
— Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown
— Cindy's Travels: Flooded Kingdom
— 7 Artifacts

Thank you for your choice!

Cheers,

Askold & Vogat team

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 3:51:00 PM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 16, 11 3:51 PM
Hello, Vogat. F.A.C.E.S. is one of my favorite games and I really like this one, too. I will be purchasing it very soon.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 16, 11 3:56 PM
I loved this game; I didn't find it remotely dark, the graphics were, as expected from Vogat, perfectly suited to the style of the game and there were less hidden object searches than in the last CE that was offered (Haunted Halls). I've been playing on and off all day, so probably actual gameplay at least 5+ hours. Really enjoyed the story line, lots of places to explore and items to collect (not all of which are used immediately) and an ending that rounded it all off very well.

The bonus chapter was a reasonable length and finished the game off nicely. And kudos to Vogat for continuing to let me play the bonus without sparkles; unlike ERS who force them on you in the bonus chapter regardless of whether you played the main game in expert mode.

No voiceovers; I'd rather have none than listen to adults trying to sound like children or fake/ out of context to the storyline ones, so that didn't bother me. Music is always off so can't comment on that. Custom cursor can be turned off, which I always do. Sadly another game that didn't fill my screen but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this one

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 4:00 PM
jennsmom wrote:Hello, Vogat. F.A.C.E.S. is one of my favorite games and I really like this one, too. I will be purchasing it very soon.

Thank you, Jennsmom! I am very happy to hear it.

Askold

kathey12
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by kathey12 on Oct 16, 11 4:02 PM
Dear Vogat:

Thank you for such an enjoyable afternoon playing your latest game!
This game had every element that I desire in the hidden object/adventure genre!
I enjoyed the story line, graphics, the puzzles, the adventure, the hidden object scenes with interaction with other objects.
Thank you for listing your games. I have all but 7 Artifacts, and Veronica Rivers Portals of the Unknown.
What I really appreciate in your style of games is the length of gameplay. This game almost had two games in one with the bonus game. I won't spoil it for others, but the bonus was very well done in my opinion!
I'm looking forward to your next release, as VOGAT games are an automatic purchase!
Sincerely,
Kathey

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 4:26 PM
kathey12 wrote:Dear Vogat:

Thank you for such an enjoyable afternoon playing your latest game!
This game had every element that I desire in the hidden object/adventure genre!
I enjoyed the story line, graphics, the puzzles, the adventure, the hidden object scenes with interaction with other objects.
Thank you for listing your games. I have all but 7 Artifacts, and Veronica Rivers Portals of the Unknown.
What I really appreciate in your style of games is the length of gameplay. This game almost had two games in one with the bonus game. I won't spoil it for others, but the bonus was very well done in my opinion!
I'm looking forward to your next release, as VOGAT games are an automatic purchase!
Sincerely,
Kathey

Dear Kathey,

Thank you very much for your warm words! You raised me up. All of our guys, the whole team, read this forum (and feedback). And they will be absolutely happy to read your review.

We have a lot of new wonderful games in development. When you buy our game, you are helping us to make new ones for you. We promise to give you joy and interesting stories in our new games.

Thank you very much! I sincerely wish you good health and happiness!

Askold
CEO
Vogat

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 16, 11 4:39 PM
I finished the demo in 40 minutes. Fairly easy hidden object scenes, graphics well done. Some objects have a poor description - maybe poor translation?

Story - You come to a town where all the residents are "ghosts" and have to rescue them within 6 hours - including your assistant. Not the most clever idea for a game, and for some reason it did not "grab" me. I thought the story line was, frankly, dumb even for this type of game.

Also, maybe it was the lack of voiceovers but the characters did not interest me either. I guess I'll let them all become the ghostly victims of "Madam Vespar" or whomever. I'l pass or wait for it to be a DD.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 16, 11 4:41 PM
Dear Askold,

I am so excited to see another game from you!! I have purchased every one of your games and have NEVER been disappointed!! I am downloading as we speak and can't wait to play. I have the day off of work tomorrow and already know what I will be doing.... playing the newest Vogat game!!

Keep them coming!!
Patti

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 4:54 PM
Cobweb55 wrote:Dear Askold,

I am so excited to see another game from you!! I have purchased every one of your games and have NEVER been disappointed!! I am downloading as we speak and can't wait to play. I have the day off of work tomorrow and already know what I will be doing.... playing the newest Vogat game!!

Keep them coming!!
Patti

Dear Patti,

Thank you very much! I hope our hard work makes you happier! That's what we try to.

Have a nice evening,

Askold

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Oct 16, 11 5:23 PM
I'm surprised at some of the negative comments - I think this is one of the best games offered for quite some time. It's very long, great graphics, good story, fantastic hint system. I've been playing off and on all day and am still not finished with the main game - taking my time to enjoy it. I guess that 's why it's so hard to please everyone - we have a variety of tastes.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Oct 16, 11 5:59 PM
Hi Askold,

Along with many thanks for your wonderful games, I want to thank you for ALWAYS stopping by to check in with the pond. I had to go out today so have not yet purchased, but I will be doing so momentarily.

I am always thrilled to see that dragon perched on his rock! I'm a huge fan, keep them coming!

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Oct 16, 11 6:14 PM
Dear players,

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like? What do you want to improve? Together we will make our new games even better! That's all for you, we appreciate you very much.

Thanks in advance.

Askold & Vogat team

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 6:15:29 PM PST

Go to: