Re:Reviews for Best in Show Solitaire

[Post New]by Rosiemarieny on Oct 20, 11 1:44 PM
It's cute but I don't think this one is a credit buy for me, maybe as a dd. I didn't find it as fun as Fairway.

[Post New]by SmokeyMtnLinda on Oct 22, 11 4:25 PM
Hi! What a great, fun solitaire game!! I really love the dog theme and unique gameplay ... keeps me on my toes. Got to remember to switch between my dogs; as to their special abilities. Like a few of you, I had some technical issues with the gameplay. But with the help of the Customer Support Team and Dr. Felix, I'm up and running. Thanks guys, you put the fun in my gaming!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 22, 11 11:31 PM
I had high hopes for this "Doggie" game when I saw it was released the other day. Didn't I want it to be similar to Fairway Solitaire (which, IMHO, is the best card game BFG has offered!)? Well, it doesn't quite measure up to that one, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

I must admit that this game is confusing at first; there's a decent tutorial, but it doesn't really cover all the game's choices (of which there are many). You're initially given your choice of a couple of dogs to be your "card player," and you'll earn money--the better you play, the more money you'll accrue (Duh!). Your earnings can be spent on other dog breeds (some cost "big bucks"); you can also visit the "Pet Store" to purchase "Powerups," which will help with your dog's stamina, obedience, and fitness (dog walker, obedience trainer, water, food, play toys, collars, etc.). And there is some interesting info on each dog breed. You'll need to switch between breeds occasionally--the current "pooch" may run out of stamina, and needs some water and food, or a rest. You can personalize your dogs' names, too, which is a nice touch. The game cursor is a heart-shaped "license" tag or a "rabies" tag--it's kind of clunky, but it works well.

I would have expected more sound effects (like walking into a Humane Society or SPCA kennel), and the game could really use a commentator's voice acting.

I've had no tech issues with this game (other than "cancelling" the Microsoft Visual C++ update--the game runs just fine without that rubbish!).

I think this is a PunchCard coupon code well-spent! Just be patient, learn all the "ins and outs," and have some fun with all the dogs!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 11:39:01 PM PST

[Post New]by Wiener on Oct 23, 11 4:26 AM
I also think it is a great game, on par with Fairway Solitaire. The only problem is the slow turning of the cards...try making a time goal with them that slow...lol..not fun.

The dogs are great with their different abilities and even the more expensive ones are fun to try and get. Lots of replay value in this game...lots of goals to strive for and I especially like the statistics screen. All in all a great game!!

Please fix the slow turn rate of the cards though!

AmyCT
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by AmyCT on Oct 23, 11 6:31 AM
Cute game, but there are a lot of glitches in the game... things in the store that do not work. times when there is a card that can be played but it will not accept ( I had a queen, and tried a King, nothing, but it accepted the Jack of the same hand), etc... they need to fix the actual game glitches.
Buy if on sale...

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 23, 11 8:32 AM
Ok, I'm going to revise my earlier review somewhat, given that I've now played a great deal further since then.

I still think this is a great game, but, as others have said above it has problems too. I found the following:

* The Parson Russell is supposed to chase off squirrels, yet it doesn't; even though Stamina, Obedience, Fitness and Loyalty are all maxed to the full.

* At times a card is selected that is behind the face up card in the playing field.

* Sometimes, even though the acorn falls to the ground, the squirrel does not chase after it but stays blocking the stack of cards; sometimes the acorn is missing altogether.

* As has been mentioned, the cards on the pile turn over too slowly making it very difficult to meet the "make a hand in 2 minutes" deadline.

I really wish developers would test these games more thoroughly before releasing them. It's not the first time I have had problems with a Solitaire game. Before its update, Fairway Solitaire stopped playing at about 3/4 through the game and would not let me pick up any further cards.

We need a patch to sort out the above problems please, BigFish.

[Post New]by crissimorris on Oct 24, 11 9:18 PM
I have to agree with some of the other fishies. This could be a cute concept, but it's just not executed very well. The graphics are just okay and the game play is a tad confusing (even for a seasoned Solitaire player). I also had a hard time with the cards; maybe it's just me, but it seemed like they were very difficult to distinguish.

Not a buy for me

Cartiza
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Cartiza on Feb 12, 12 4:11 AM
I never write reviews..there are tons of glitches...I have been stuck on one level for ever not fun just flipping cards and getting no where..doesn't matter what dog I use I can't pass the level.

Getting runs is near impossible because you just flip cards with no cards matching the playing field..you exit out and the cards stay the same..if you can't pass with those cards the first time it's not gonna happen all the times after that.

The game started out nice but can't seem to get any where now even on easy mode only because none of the cards match the field removing 2 cards from the field is pretty bad no way to make the money in one hand if no matches or runs are available.

Very disappointing Will stick to Fairway!!

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 7, 12 6:39 PM
ajuma wrote:I really wanted to like this game but for some reason, I found it hard to see the numbers on the cards...and I have a big monitor!!

Me toO!! I hope the developers make them bigger in the sequel!!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jan 14, 13 9:06 AM
I guess enough time has passed since this game came out and evidently some fixes have been made because I had no problems or glitches. I enjoy solitaire especially between some of the longer "thinker" games so it is a buy for me especially for $2.99 as it is offered today. Can't lose. Just played the demo and couldn't believe how fast the time flew by. I'm in.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 25, 14 1:40 PM
It's been awhile since I played this game. I find it very relaxing although I do hate the music. Did they just pick something at random?

I haven't gotten too much into anything other than just playing hand after hand and that is enough for me right now. But I was reading some of the older reviews and noticed that a game called "Fairway" was referenced and some alleged snarky comments are part of that game - well, that is right up my alley as I love snarky comments and so I will check out that game. Thanks to those who mentioned it.

I'm getting into solitaire now as I can't seem to find many decent HOGS or HOPAS. I do like this particular game a lot because it's so easy to play.

I hope that eventually a border collie will show up as that is my favorite breed and I have a border and I admit I feel kinda funny giving her name to a dachshund.

I named the Chihuahua "Elf".

I like the undo button - that helps a lot because my computer is very sensitive and keys get clicked when I'm not even touching them or so it seems. I know there is a way to fix that and I did it once but I've forgotten how.

Highly recommended for both solitaire and dog lovers!!

But the music? Maybe some dog sounds would have been nice or even "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" would make more sense although I guess they could become annoying after awhile.

Happy gaming, fishies!!

Edit: I got my beautiful border collie! They made a mistake in the game, though. The black lab is shown as being a bit more intelligent and that is just not true. Border collies are the most intelligent dogs in the world.

Edited on 09/12/2014 at 7:45:35 PM PST

Go to: