Re:Reviews for Halloween: Trick or Treat

[Post New]by lovelyheart615 on Oct 18, 11 11:00 AM

It is definitely geared for kids. But I think it is too hard the children, they tried to design it for, I think it may frustrate them. Definitely have the kids try it. I don't think teens would like it.

It will list an object that there are 2 or more items to choose from.
An object to find can mean different things.
Items to find are well hidden.

I used a hint twice for the same item and it gave different locations

Fortunately you can click many times before you lose your cursor briefly, I figured I'd check that out, so I could comment on it.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Oct 18, 11 11:58 AM
Not my type of HOG .

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Oct 18, 11 12:02 PM
I agree the game seems easy but you know sometimes that's what I want. Reviews say geared towards children but then also the meaning of words the little ones wouldn't get. One time Apache was a helicopter and the next time it was an Indian. I've learned from past games to think of several different types of an item to look for. As for the candy canes some are easy and then again when I didn't get the message that I'd found them all I searched before finding last item to go to next scene or game and could not find the last 1 or 2 canes or however many were left. Very cleverly hidden on some. I'm on the fence on buying. Want to hear how long the game is.

elenasstar
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by elenasstar on Oct 18, 11 12:11 PM
Spooky Halloween fun! Love the graphics! Yes, it is geared for younger HOG enthusiasts...but it's a refreshing change from the now typical just plain creepy format that Big Fish has been churning out! Two thumbs up for seasonal entertainment!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 18, 11 12:37 PM
MEnr56 wrote:

I haven't downloaded nor trialed this game but I'm wondering why for a Halloween game, that people would be needing to find candy canes rather than candy corns?

MEnr56

She's right though... it really is candy canes that you find not candy corn. LOL.

Anyway... I don't think I can take much more of this game and I've only played about 5 minutes. For one thing the scenes are just junkpile with added Halloween decorations. Then too when you hover your curser near the top of the screen a drop down score board rolls down COVERING the things you're trying to click on... I spent a good minute trying to time my moving the curser over to a candy cane and clicking before the score board covered it up. SO ANNOYING. Add in the kid screaming "yeah!" every time you find something and the repetitive music and I'm done. LOL!!! I'll let my kids try it but I think they'll be bored.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 18, 11 1:22 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Good game for kids and older treaters too. Could have had spooky music but overall a fun game.

Edited on 10/18/2011 at 1:22:58 PM PST

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Oct 18, 11 1:56 PM
Hi all you fishies.
I must tell you right off, I was hooked. I'm just a kid at heart, or maybe I've not gotten past my 1st childhood? As others have stated, this is a change from the usual HOG. It is also easy but w/a few surprises on the mini games. A nice change of pace & who doesn't like halloween?
Be sure to give it a try. You can always say it's for the neighbor's children who visit.

Kukikat
Clownfish
Clownfish
711 Posts

[Post New]by Kukikat on Oct 18, 11 2:24 PM
elenasstar wrote: Spooky Halloween fun! Love the graphics! Yes, it is geared for younger HOG enthusiasts...but it's a refreshing change from the now typical just plain creepy format that Big Fish has been churning out! Two thumbs up for seasonal entertainment!

I agree 100%! I still enjoy the easier HOG's, especially when my brain is too tired to delve into a complex storyline.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 18, 11 6:02 PM
I am loving it! The graphics are very clear and the H0 scenes just "junk-piley" enough to make some of the items hard to find. I do like the "think outside the box" for certain words/items...keeps the gray cells active! There isn't too much dialog and I cannot comment on sound as I don't have speakers on...spooky music would be good!! The bits of animations in the scenes is great! Also, some items are hidden in cupboards, etc so look everywhere!

This game is a change of pace from those we've had to choose from lately...mostly H0 scenes and easy minigames, but that is OK!! There are extras to earn as the game progresses but I'm not sure what they are actually for except to raise one's score.

I would love to get this game but am not really sure yet as I don't want to use a coupon on another short game.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 18, 11 6:30 PM
This game is probably great for young children or for those really young at heart. I just could not stand the junk piles. A few years ago I might have put up with junk piles. I don't have to now, so I won't. I can't really review this game fairly as I only made it to the second junkpile... then quit.

I give this game out of 5 for children who don't mind junky rooms.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Oct 18, 11 10:05 PM
I have to agree with a lot of the comments - Even though I really got into the more complex IHOG/Adventure/Puzzle games - this one is a nice, pleasant change of pace. Initialy I d/l the game because I knew 2 of my grandkids would have fun with it (they are 9 and 10 & they like the hidden object games) - but I must say, I am also quite enjoying just a straight simple hidden object game - although some of the items are not that easy to find !

Nice game - you don't have to think with this game - you just need pretty good eyesight !!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 18, 11 10:18 PM
I am having fun with this one, and the candy canes are black and orange striped, and some are well hidden, but fun to find. I love all the moving objects, and the humor that I see in this game. I love that the objects are sometimes the 'think out of the box' kind, and even though the puzzles are on the easy side, there is quite a variety of them, and I like that. I know the grands will have fun with this one as well.

eta. For once, the sound effects were quite annoying, and I did turn them down, but the music is ok, so I have it at a tolerable level. Usually it is the other way around, lol.

Edited on 10/18/2011 at 10:33:33 PM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 18, 11 11:34 PM
I actually like the game. It is a hoot. I will be playing a scene or two each day through Halloween. The H0 scenes are actually quite good and challenging. I love the trick/treat aspect in the scenes too and the mini games are no-brainer fun! LOL Thanks CasualArts! I like holiday themed games.... How about giving us another around Easter time??

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Oct 19, 11 12:16 PM
I'm a self-proclamed Halloween-o-file, and I'm really enjoying this game! I love seasonal games and collect them. BTW there are other Halloween games out there that Halloween fans might want to check out: Amelie's Cafe - Halloween; Fishdom - Spooky Splash (also included in Fishdom: Seasons Under the Sea); and Haunted Domains. All are sold by Big Fish, I believe. I play them all through Halloween, and they get me in the "spirit" of the season!

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on Oct 19, 11 2:24 PM
Sherry__Rose wrote:
BTW there are other Halloween games out there that Halloween fans might want to check out: Amelie's Cafe - Halloween; Fishdom - Spooky Splash (also included in Fishdom: Seasons Under the Sea); and Haunted Domains. All are sold by Big Fish, I believe. I play them all through Halloween, and they get me in the "spirit" of the season!

There's also Night of the Scarecrows

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Oct 19, 11 9:58 PM
Thats an hour of my life I will never get back. I played this game based on the comments but whew what a stinker imho. I was thinking it would be fun to play with my granddaughter, but this is just plain tedious.

It is too hard for young children to play and too monotonous for adults and older kids.

Not for me.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 20, 11 3:16 AM
I have other Halloween themed games that will be revisited to get me through the rest of the month. This game is just not my . The graphics are bright and the game is very Halloween-ish. I just did not find myself wanting to finish it. Sorry and Devs this is a no buy for me.
Happy Gaming All

Hoggywizard
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Hoggywizard on Oct 20, 11 3:37 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 2:37:32 AM PST

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Oct 20, 11 7:17 PM
I usually try to play for the whole hour demo before deciding whether or not to put a game on my wish list. However, I had to quit after 15 minutes. The junk pile style of hidden objects just doesn't appeal to me. I quickly found the "yeah" cheer that was made whenever I found a candy cane to be quite annoying. I can see how that might appeal to children though. I found it rather odd that you had to look for candy canes.... they are something I associate with Christmas, not Hallowe'en. Is that a Hallowe'en treat that is common to other areas? (I'm in Canada.) I'm glad to hear that the game is bringing pleasure to others, but it is not a game for me. Thanks to those people who listed other games with a Hallowe'en theme.... going to check some of them out soon.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 21, 11 6:15 AM
I was excited to try this game because I love Halloween, and the reviews sounded pretty good, but after doing the demo, I am still not sure, if I want to buy it or not.
I do like collecting the candy canes, and clicking on the flashing, pumpkin and skulls, to get trick or treat points, and I like the colorful Halloween graphics.
The mini games are not challenging, but fun, don't know about hard mode though, haven't tried that in the demo time.
The problem I am having is with the H0 scenes, and I am a seasoned player, I cannot see at least 3 items, in each scene, no matter how hard I try, so this makes the game play, to slow for my liking.
I do like a challenge and usually can find items in games, that some say, the items are to small, in.
I used a hint on a couple, which I don't usually like to do, and still couldn't recognize the item, with the hint, so yes the mini's are easy, but the H0, not so much, at least not for me anyway.
I don't like it when the items are to easy to find in games, but I also don't like invisable items either, making the game tedious, rather than fun.
I don't think that children could even see some of the items, so I can't say its because I have bad eye site, what a shame, I really wanted to like this one .
For those of you that like it, have fun, and happy Halloween to all .

Go to: