sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Comments for Drawn: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 20, 11 1:44 AM
arthurC wrote:I'm in two minds about this. I don't doubt for a minute that it will be an excellent, well-crafted game, but I just don't enjoy the 'Drawn' series. And I can't really explain why either. I've got the first two, and they're both still languishing in my games folder, unfinished.

Funny how some games just don't hit the right buttons, hey?

I'm sure i'm in the minority though, I know 'Drawn' is a cast-iron favourite with many Fishies, so I hope everyone else has a great time playing it.

I'll read the reviews in a day or so .. (and no doubt, I'll be tempted and end up buying it anyway! )
Jo

I feel the same way about these games as you do. I had a much better time playing Odysseus: Long Way Home, Urban Legend: The Maze & Awakening. I finished the first two, but honestly I can't remember what happened without replaying them. This is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Oct 20, 11 2:16 AM
tuttepeever wrote:
arthurC wrote:I'm in two minds about this. I don't doubt for a minute that it will be an excellent, well-crafted game, but I just don't enjoy the 'Drawn' series. And I can't really explain why either. I've got the first two, and they're both still languishing in my games folder, unfinished.

I'm sure i'm in the minority though, I know 'Drawn' is a cast-iron favourite with many Fishies, so I hope everyone else has a great time playing it.

I'll read the reviews in a day or so .. (and no doubt, I'll be tempted and end up buying it anyway! )
Jo

I feel very much like you. I also have the first 2 in the series but this one doesn't grab me at all. I beta tested this some time ago and felt the same. Trying the demo to see if I have changed my mind. I haven't.

Can't believe there is a problem with the text. At least for me. So many of the letters are missing. This should have been corrected before releasing it as a CE. A definite No Buy for me.

PS. Have also come to the conclusion that the Drawn Series don't have much replay value. Once you know the game, there is not much left for future play. Still love the graphics and the idea. Needs a lot of improvement IMO.

I'm with all 3 of you, arthurC, sassylassie & tuttepeever. Don't get the "Wow factor" about the Drawn series. I don't care for the graphics. I also bought a previous Drawn (can't remember which one), but it's just sitting there. But I'm very happy for all the fishies who do enjoy them. Oh well, live & learn. hideobjectaddict

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 20, 11 2:45 AM
Add my name to that list too hideobjectaddict! I never buy CEs of Drawn... everyone raved about the first one when I was a newbie here, so I just bought it. All through the whole game I thought "THIS is it? THIS is the great game?!" "REALLLLLY? REALLY? Really?" (SNL style for those that have seen the "really" news skit ) I was bored to tears and had expected something as awesome as Ravenhearst or RTR.

When I went to check the forum for this new game, I wondered if there was anyone that felt the way I do about them... What a nice surprise to see I'm not alone! I wait for a sale.. or even a DD COTW to buy them cuz I'm just not dying to play.

Now if BFG doesn't give us a RTR sequel (or prequel) this year I'm going to throw a fit!! Dire Grove and 13th Skull were OK... but no where near as good as the Ravenhearst series..or even Madame Fate IMHO. A little off topic sorry...

*Ahaem* ..anyway.. there is my 2 which I will not spend on this game lol.

ETR way too many "was" from my post...there was like one every 5 words! lol.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 2:53:31 AM PST

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Oct 20, 11 2:53 AM
sorry -- computer made me post a duplicate. LOL!

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 3:09:30 AM PST

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Oct 20, 11 3:05 AM
I was inpressed with the first "Drawn", the second not so much. But this one is a real disappointment and I couldn't even last through the trial. Hated the jerky screen and know there is an option to disable it but the instructions flashed by so quickly I couldn't read them. As for graphics, IMO they were ruined by that perpetual haze that clouded every screenshot and made me want to take off my glasses and give them a good cleaning. For some reason, I found most of the action to be counterintuitive and by the time I'd reached the maddening eye/ring puzzle, I no longer cared enough to hit the "hint" button but went directly to "EXIT". Afraid it's a no-buy for me, not even at the SE price. Actually, I'd have to think twice about buying it as a DD.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 3:26:52 AM PST

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Oct 20, 11 3:22 AM
Also not a fan of the Drawn series....though I have to admit they are original and well done. Something just doesn't grab me.

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Oct 20, 11 3:33 AM
i am a fan of the drawn series but i finished the trial in 24 minutes now i am not the fastest of players prefering to take my time and enjoy but i do wonder if the length of this game warrents me buying it as a collectors edition might have to wait untill later

snuffalump
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,278 Posts

[Post New]by snuffalump on Oct 20, 11 3:44 AM
Sadly ... not to my liking either

I did have minor problems with the graphics card - but I can just feel this one is not the greatest. The original is the best by far.

Don't think I would purchase this even as a DD

But to those that enjoy it ... hope you have hours of fun

Snuff

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 20, 11 4:27 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
bfgImbrium wrote:Hi fishies,

Just wanted to pop in and mention that the bonus game play is played in the main game. Like Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend CE.

Just in case that pops up later on, you early birds will know

Happy magical gaming!

bfgImbrium

Hi there,
I don't have a problem with this, but I do have a problem with a WT released at the same time as this game.
So, the bonus game play is as long as the rest of the game in light of the fact that purchasing the CE with a SG is now useless?
Hm.

Amen

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 20, 11 6:05 AM
WiccanWoman530 wrote:Add my name to that list too hideobjectaddict! I never buy CEs of Drawn... everyone raved about the first one when I was a newbie here, so I just bought it. All through the whole game I thought "THIS is it? THIS is the great game?!" "REALLLLLY? REALLY? Really?" (SNL style for those that have seen the "really" news skit ) I was bored to tears and had expected something as awesome as Ravenhearst or RTR.

When I went to check the forum for this new game, I wondered if there was anyone that felt the way I do about them... What a nice surprise to see I'm not alone! I wait for a sale.. or even a DD COTW to buy them cuz I'm just not dying to play.

Now if BFG doesn't give us a RTR sequel (or prequel) this year I'm going to throw a fit!! Dire Grove and 13th Skull were OK... but no where near as good as the Ravenhearst series..or even Madame Fate IMHO. A little off topic sorry...

*Ahaem* .

Nope, you're not alone. I agree with everything you said here. I even liked RTR and Madam Fate the best of the MCF games too. Although I probably would put 13th Skull up there as well..(not at first mind you. I hated it at first. But once I got past my 'prejudice' about it [the live actors and all], I ended up loving it and upgraded to the CE). Dire Grove, eh, not so much.

There sure better be a new MCF game. I hope the BF crew haven't been taking all their time on this Drawn sequel instead...I will be very "put out". (Prince Humperdinck voice).

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Oct 20, 11 6:52 AM
I really liked the first two Drawn games, but I don't think I'll buy this one. About a third of the "demo" time was taken up with the game loading, at least on my computer. I had just found the "eye" puzzle when the demo ended, so I was still getting a feel for whether I liked this game.

I am increasingly unwilling to spend money on CEs because most of them aren't the special games that we were promised. I don't ever use the concept art, wallpapers, or music, and I try not to use strategy guides on principle. Not even to have a strategy guide with the game but to make a walk-through immediately available means that we are purchasing the more expensive game only for early access and the bonus chapter. I don't really care about early access, and many of the recent bonus chapters haven't been worth the extra money. I even don't know if I will purchase the SE of Drawn 3 because the SEs of CEs that have a bonus chapter that is integral to the game have sometimes seemed incomplete.

Given the general price inflation, I suppose it's not surprising that BFG is hiking its prices too, but, if I won't spend $15 for two lamb chops and think twice about spending over $8 for a chicken, why would I spend $13.99 for a game?

[Post New]by lindallk on Oct 20, 11 8:01 AM
I am so excited to see the game will be playing all day.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 20, 11 8:15 AM
Wow, this hasn't gone down as well as I thought it would. I recently restarted Drawn 2 (after getting quite far in but having a busted laptop so had to reinstall on my new one) and my heart just isn't in it. When I played Drawn, I loved it and couldn't wait for 2, which I enjoyed the demo of and the first hour or so of gameplay a great deal. Now I just feel unexcited by the idea of replaying the bits already covered and then carrying on (tbh I was stuck anyway at one point ) Sooo I won't dl this one until I finish the other one, and see if I still like the series. Otherwise maybe the demo will tempt me to buy another game I won't finish!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 20, 11 8:19 AM
I know I'll be buying it when I get home from work because it's Drawn III. Whether or not I'll enjoy it remains to be seen. I have loved the first two.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Oct 20, 11 8:38 AM
Ditto Mr Russ, the first two are classic

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 20, 11 8:49 AM
I'm biased: Drawn series = by far my fav of all 'casual' games.
I'm over-the-top pleased with Trail of Shadows.

IMO, like all Drawns, ToS is quite simply in class of its own--
no other casual game's play/design or quality really compare.

Just as BFG broke new ground 1st with MCF & later with HE games, fostering unbelievably huge changes in casual gaming (lots of i-net documentation available--not just MHO), BFG's Drawn series has innovated casual core-adventure gaming.

Probably many casual gamers don't care about technical aspects of a game, yet with ToS, like all Drawns, BFG achieves--again--a new technical accomplishment. These successes are always all about boosting player's immersion in the game world.

All Drawns nearly burst from the screen with creativity &
originality both.
That's why they've won well-deserved ratings & awards from hard-core & casual adventure reviewers alike.

ToS, like all Drawns, is meant to be played slowly.
Graphics & special effects are excellent.
Screen movement & mechanics are optimized.
The music is simply outstanding.

Seeing the credits: developed by BFG Studios...
gave me such relief.
(I'd feared BFG might dump the Drawns onto ERS
as it's done with Azada#3.)

Drawns aren't for everyone, I know--but for those who want the chance to be immersed in a fantasy world, they're a gift.
Heartfelt thanks to devs!

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 8:54:39 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 20, 11 9:23 AM
sassylassie wrote:

Jo

I feel the same way about these games as you do. I had a much better time playing Odysseus: Long Way Home, Urban Legend: The Maze & Awakening. I finished the first two, but honestly I can't remember what happened without replaying them. This is a no buy for me.

Now you're talking, those were all good games. I have not been a fan of the Drawn series either. Don't see what all the hoopla is about them. To each his own I guess.

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on Oct 20, 11 10:46 AM
Wow I thought I was the only person in the world not to like the Drawn series. I bought no. 2 because of all the hype and was bored to tears. I trialled this for 10mins. didn't like the graphics and found the gameplay confusing. A walkthrough out on the same day isn't that what they do for SE's. Either way no buy.

Oh and the only MCF games I like are Dire Grove and 13th Skull. Might help if the early games would actually play on my pc though

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 20, 11 12:08 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:I know I'll be buying it when I get home from work because it's Drawn III. Whether or not I'll enjoy it remains to be seen. I have loved the first two.

Same for me, Mr. Russ.

Also - guess I posted this in the wrong place at first - but I'm so glad to hear Franklin's voice again. I could listen to him for hours on end.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 20, 11 12:38 PM
I, too, like the Drawn Series. I liked one better than two but the series grows on you. One must think to play these games and I normally need help with them. The second game had the hint system and I believe I got through it just by using it. The one thing I do not like about this one is not having a chance to skip a mini game in advanced/expert mode. I played the demo in advanced mode and did not run into problems but I was still in chapter one when I stopped playing the game. Now that I know I may get stuck down the line and can't skip a puzzle if I want to I'm not sure about the CE of this game. I might buy it and play in casual mode but I really like to avoid the sparkles. I even quit the demo and started again when I realized that I had forgotten to choose the sparkleless mode before the game began. I can always use the walkthrough if I really get stuck I guess. I would just hate to have to resort to that. But being an old adventure gamer who gets stuck sometimes, one gets used to it.

PS: Does anyone remember the King's Quest series or some of the other original adventure games? How about the Myst and Uru series. Now those are adventure games and the walkthroughs are provided on the web by other players after they figured out the game. Compared to those games, Drawn, though not a cakewalk, is a welcome respite.

I give this game out of 5.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 3:39:08 PM PST

Go to: