sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 22, 11 8:36 AM
This was a pretty good game for an SE. It was a little frustrating here and there with only the map with help on where to go next and how to get there. In the demo hour, it seemed like I didn't get very far, but I don't know how long the game is either. The ****'s are kind of blurry , but the mini games are challenging enough. The music is eerie. I didn't recognize the "Golden Girls" reference, I guess I didn't watch the show long enough! lol I would rate this game an 8 out of 10. Still on the fence on whether to buy or not.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Oct 22, 11 9:24 AM
I've sort of had it up to here with hospital settings at the present time. I'll pass and maybe pick it up as a DD in the future.

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Oct 22, 11 9:38 AM
I despise hospitals and asylums, but I like this game. I've bought it already and I still haven't learned what exactly is wrong with hospital practices (oh, you can see it's dirty and horrible, but there's no big in-your-face evidence that something really bad is going on) and the villain looks like he might have an actual motive to do all this stuff.

+ true widescreen (not distorted)
+ you can mute voiceovers
+ ... but they're actually good!
+ not so typical puzzles
+ story better than average, even despite overused theme
+ no technical issues except no windowed mode
+ music is fine
+ map!

- soundtrack not so varied
- H0 items tiny
- looks short-ish, 3 hours or so.

H0 scenes aren't abundant, but they also aren't very rare. The game is more eerie than scary.

All in all, I like it and I bought it.

sigrid1
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by sigrid1 on Oct 22, 11 9:39 AM
I know I'm strange (just ask my family), but I'm kind of bored with the asylum games. I love a mystery, but does it always have to involve suffering? Anywho, I'll go back to my already purchased games and replay something a bit lighter. I prefer Age of Oracles to the darker games. They are okay every now and then, but not in a steady stream....LOL. Enjoy folks. I'll wait for something a bit "brighter" to lighten the rainy day gloom.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 22, 11 9:57 AM
A great game and will have to put it on the list to buy. It's great that you can turn the brightness up or down. Wish more games did that. So far the graphics are nice and clear and storyline good too. I guess they do have SE's out there and it's a nice change to be able to buy without waiting..

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Oct 22, 11 11:34 AM
having fun playing... great game

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 22, 11 12:48 PM
Even though I think the asylum idea is starting to get overused, I decided to give this game a try and I'm glad that I did. I got totally engrossed in the game and the trial time just flew by. I bought it as soon as my trial time elapsed because I want to see where this story is going to go.

The H0 scenes are somewhat grainy, but that's in keeping with the whole graphic design of the game; I've only had to use a hint once in them so far. My eyes aren't the best but I'm having no problem with them. The voiceovers are good and I'm finding the storyline interesting. I'm not sure yet if the doctor whose patient notes we are listening to via cassette tapes is a bad guy or not, since his comments seem to indicate care for the patients. I want to find out why the place is in such disarray. (I'd also like to understand why a woman who's apparently been in a coma for three years is able to climb out of bed and walk without difficulty, but I'm putting that down to storyline expediency - lol.)

The game offers two game difficulty modes, and also gives you control over voice, music, sound, brightness, cursor, and widescreen modes, which really allows the player to customize the game as they like. I'm playing at the harder level. I notice that there is a slightly glittery effect when a H0 scene is present. The cursor changes shape when it crosses over an area where an action can take place. You have an inventory, journal and map to help you.

I have no idea how long the game lasts, but for an SE game it has very good production values and is definitely worth the price.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 22, 11 1:02 PM
Great reviews everyone, this looks like it is going to be a nice game, so d/l now to try the demo.
I love the title committed, and anything that has to do with being trapped in a rundown hospital, that your trying to escape from..woo hoo.
I also think that BF is doing a great job, with the game selection again, feels like the old BF, that I so loved, and bought tons of games from, so way to go.
I now have a lot of games, on my want list, instead of just trying to find a game I like enough to buy .

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 22, 11 1:05 PM
If you are a big fan of different puzzles, this is a game for you. The voiceovers done well. It looks like a good game, except I don't like that many puzzles.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 22, 11 1:13 PM
It might just be me, but I am soo sick of escape from the Asylum/Hospital game. No originality in the genre.I have 6 coupons about to expire, but I just can't bear another asylum. Games are supposed to be fun and raise your spiris.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 22, 11 1:23 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:It might just be me, but I am soo sick of escape from the Asylum/Hospital game. No originality in the genre.I have 6 coupons about to expire, but I just can't bear another asylum. Games are supposed to be fun and raise your spiris.

Ditto

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 22, 11 1:35 PM
To my surprise not a bad game. Good graphics, story line. The HOS's I found some of the item a little hard to find some of the objects but no big deal. It seemed to me to be a little short. I finished in about 3 hours. Other than that it was good.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 22, 11 2:00 PM
Okay, got hooked once I got into the 3rd room, so will have to buy to finish. Nice graphics, music good, voices appropriate for game and setting, nice game play (no problems), HOGs not bad (some items difficult to see), games not easy (take some thought and time), story line not bad so far. Very happy to see a nice SE for a change. Keep it up!

Yes, another sanitarium...way over done. Yes, the "blinking eye" syndrome...real tired of that.

As I said, will buy this one. Thanks for the reviews fellow fish.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 22, 11 3:36 PM
Soup Nazi , ....no soup today ....

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Oct 22, 11 8:58 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game! The graphics/artwork were clear and well done. The story, although it's an "escape the looney bin" theme, was just different enough to make it entertaining. The music was suitable and unobtrusive. There is a brightness slider if the game is a bit dark for you. There is a choice of difficulty and I chose the regular option, as I like the sparkles. The game flowed well, with help from the map. It wasn't a "click here and to there" map - simply one that shows active areas, etc. All in all, an engaging and fun game.

The only negative - I wish it had been a bit longer. I skipped only two puzzles (the kind I'm just horrid at), and I got the game done in about three and a half hours, and I play slowly . The higher difficulty choice may make the game a bit longer.

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 22, 11 10:41 PM
Well, I like spooky games - and considering we're so close to Halloween I wouldn't expect anything less.

I am still happy with the asylum theme, in my opinion it's right up there with the haunted house theme; timeless.

Need I say, love this game. Not only for a theme I like, but as Bpup said:

"The H0 scenes are somewhat grainy, but that's in keeping with the whole graphic design of the game"

Very atmospheric, Hooray!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 10:43:47 PM PST

kittcar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kittcar on Oct 22, 11 11:53 PM
Just finished the game...it was terrific...I liked the story and the puzzles...A few of the hidden objects were a bit hard to see. I don't really like scary games...but this one seemed to be of a more mysterious nature or like Vervaine said more eerie than scary. I don't usually listen to the music or the voices but I thought the whole sound track was terrific, especially at the end. It made me want to go faster, in the sense of making me feel like I was the one solving the mystery; I was the one in the game. I'm not a particularly fast player and it took me 41/2 hours to complete it (mostly because I didn't use the map for the first half of the game as I usually like to play the game as much as possible without help.)
Hope there is a sequel!!!

[Post New]by onesweettart on Oct 23, 11 12:11 AM
I beta'd this one, and strange to say I could have sworn the cut scenes were better quality during the beta. It's possible that I'm remembering incorrectly, but I really feel like I'm not. The little girl was not in the beta, so the cut scenes are definitely not the same ones that I watched at that time.

At any rate, this is a review based on the demo, because I'm not going to be buying this one. My opinion is basically the same as it was when I beta tested the game, at which time I said that lots of Fishies were going to mention in the forums that this is yet another asylum/hospital game with an amnesiac patient and lots of people are getting tired of that theme. I'm fine with playing them still, as long as there's an interesting twist, and I think this storyline includes an interesting twist. The Hidden Object Scenes are junkpiles, and many of the objects to be found are 97% covered by other objects. Some of the mini-puzzles are new and not the standard (as someone mentioned above, the solitaire was a nice touch), others are the same old-same old (connect sections of pipe to make water flow).

Glad to have a map, even though it's not interactive, because there's a lot of back-tracking to re-visit Hidden Object Scenes and areas that are re-activated. Demo was a full hour, not truncated, and I got pretty far along during that hour, I suspect the game would be short for me. When I beta'd the game I specifically said that I thought it was a good game, as long as they were planning it as a SE and not a CE, so I'm glad it is a SE. (I also mentioned that the Golden Girls "Shady Pines" made me grin, whether intentional or not). All in all, I think plenty of people will be happy with it, it's just not my style. Too basic for me and I'm particularly not fond of junkpile hidden object scenes.

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 23, 11 12:33 AM
kittcar wrote:Just finished the game...it was terrific...I liked the story and the puzzles...A few of the hidden objects were a bit hard to see. I don't really like scary games...but this one seemed to be of a more mysterious nature or like Vervaine said more eerie than scary. I don't usually listen to the music or the voices but I thought the whole sound track was terrific, especially at the end. It made me want to go faster, in the sense of making me feel like I was the one solving the mystery; I was the one in the game. I'm not a particularly fast player and it took me 41/2 hours to complete it (mostly because I didn't use the map for the first half of the game as I usually like to play the game as much as possible without help.)
Hope there is a sequel!!!

I agree with everything you said, except i do like scary games, and eerie games and just well surprising games! And this is one of the good ones IMHO

p.s. I played the beta and the only complaint I had was the solitaire game! For I hope, obvious reasons.

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 12:36:22 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Oct 23, 11 5:16 AM
I KNEW that name "Shady Pines" was familiar but couldn't remember where I knew it from. Nice to have the mystery solved. Thanks.

Great game. All the components are very well thought out, with good attention to detail, even down to the muzak in the elevator, which I liked a lot. It all comes together to make a really interesting and enjoyable game, well worth the money.

The shock-horror secret revealed at the end was an unexpected twist I appreciated.

I noticed one unhappy gamer, but just cannot see where they're coming from. None of their comments were true for me.

Thanks Fugazo. Keep 'em coming.

Go to: