[Post New]by kysbamma on Nov 2, 11 12:29 AM
Played for 1/2 hour ... Gonna buy... ordered Amazon too Great puzzles so far

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 2, 11 9:39 AM
Have to admit I dont like it, objects are far too small to see and it seems to have lost the thread of the story, I wasted a punch card on it so disappointed

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 2, 11 12:34 PM
Bought CE

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Nov 2, 11 4:08 PM
Lots of varying opinions on this one. I like some of the elements, but several were turn offs. The puzzle to launch the boat, filling in the right number of squares, I filled in a correct solution, but it must not have been the one the developer had in mind so it wouldn't take. That's a problem. Also, not crazy about the box puzzle - not intuitive and I can see frustration ahead. No buy for me.

beachmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by beachmama on Nov 2, 11 7:24 PM
Bought this with the Halloween coupon. I think it was the oddest of the Hidden Expedition series. Actually had to use the Walkthrough a few times. Can't wait for the next installment.

Audreyrpeters
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyrpeters on Nov 3, 11 5:20 PM
Wanted to like this but didn't. Have enjoyed other Hidden Expeditions. Many hidden items were too small for my taste and the overall game play was pretty boring. Was sorry I bought it as the game also seemed very short.

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Nov 4, 11 2:02 PM
I bought the game sight unseen because it was a Hidden Expedition game and I had enjoyed the others. Boy was I disappointed. I do admit there were some decent spots in it, but only spots. I plunged forward hoping I would get used to the game, but more times than not I said to myself spoiler alert (sort of) "I hate this game.". Still, I plunged forward again. I am prettty close to the end (I think) but I am quitting. As I said, there are some nice things about the game, but not enough to keep me around. I do have several hundred games 99.9% of which I have enjoyed and tons of them I have LOVED. I did buy it with SPOOKY so the loss is small. I shall move forward to the other games I bought that day and leave the frustration behind. More power to those who enjoyed it though safarinow

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 5, 11 10:15 AM
Sorry I bought this game. Didn't care for the style of this game at all. It was boring and just not interesting to play.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Nov 5, 11 1:10 PM
Played some of the demo and bought it. Now I've finished the game and I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not. Played the other Hidden Expeditions, they were good. This one? Hmmm.

I found the undersea hidden objects incredibly difficult to find, that was very frustrating. Some of the puzzles were good, some were just far too long (the box!).

Using inventory items was irritating because you have to click on exactly the right spot or they don't work. (Thought I was never going to get that last damn chicken!)

Apart from the underwater scenes, the graphics were nice and clear. Music very so-so. Storyline rather confusing.

Still undecided about it on the whole but I would say the game is well worth the money.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 6, 11 5:39 AM
I have played the demo and I am not too sure what the object of the story game is but I am going to buy with a game credit. I like the graphics, HOs and the sound.

[Post New]by poobearz on Nov 6, 11 6:37 AM
I also bought this with no trial based on the fact I love the others and have played them multiple times. Big mistake. I literally forced myself to finish it just to make sure it didn't get better further on.

Storyline was so boring and almost non existant. The underwater scenes were horribly designed, very hard to look at long enough to do the levels. For the first time ever I found myself just hitting the hint button to show me the objects because I didn't want to sit and look for them. When a game feels like a boring job, it's not worth the credit. Wish I had skipped this one or tried it before I bought it.

You know in the first few minutes if you will like it or not so I strongly suggest downloading the trial, not going by your previous experiences with this series. No more Hidden Expedition buys for me without trying them. Lesson learned.

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on Nov 7, 11 6:21 PM
I waited for this one for a while, and for me it was worth the wait. Had a blast with Devils Triangle (which i think is probably the better of the two), and this was a great follow up. The graphix are just amazingly beautiful, game play was fun & challenging, good puzzles, and i love the humor through the whole thing - it's definitely lol-worthy I can understand how the underwater HOscenes could be somewhat disconcerting for some folks. Initially i was thinking, ok, what the heck happened HERE? Definitely coulda gone south after the shock of the big change in artistic environment there, but imho it was a pretty cool part of the adventure, & it added another interesting arena to play in. Altogether, i really liked this game a lot, & just like with Devils Triangle, will get plenty of playtime for the money. And i would be extremely happy with yet another Hidden Expedition . Thanks devs, BFG - really nice job!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 8, 11 11:08 AM
Wow, OK, I did enjoy the game....long one. However I didn't find it easy, sort of a struggle at times due in part to some of the HOG objects were extreamly hard to find. Also, some objects didn't respond even though you knew things belonged. I tried so long to get the little fishing pole together with the fisherman I finally checked the walkthrough which indicated I was right. Spent a lot of time there, but finally got it to set in. This happened in other areas too. Frustrating. The journal was about the only clue to where to go and what to do and it wasn't always clear, so you had to do a lot of guessing and moving about. The clue button did recharge qucikly, that was a blessing.

Most of the games were hard for me as the instructions were not always really clear about what to do. I did skip a lot of these, however they did look interesting and were different from what I normally see in most games. Definately not a beginner game. Hopefully the developers will sharpen up the clicks...that was a big frustration as the narrative would say that you were wrong when you were really right on.

A good buy and I will probably play again. No regrets with this one.

Marciepie
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Marciepie on Nov 10, 11 12:33 PM
I am amazed at the negative comments here. This game is amazing. The developers really got their creative juices flowing with this one. I don't know what others look for in **** games, but this one is not your norm and I for one am so happy to see the creators found yet another way to take it up a notch.

The graphics alone shouldn't be missed.

[Post New]by DarkStarsD on Nov 14, 11 1:11 PM
Could not resist a linear set of numbers!Expected to play a larger.Very similar to the graph Machinarium.

rebahanna
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by rebahanna on Nov 16, 11 5:35 PM
I did actually like this game. Challenging, but short on game play (depending on how long you take). I did have to look up the walkthrough a few times to get where I wanted to get. Overall, it was not a dissapointment, like some of the other games I've bought and regretted. I would recommend it.

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Nov 20, 11 9:58 AM
I really liked it! I liked the story; I always thought the last one wasn't really finished. Beautiful graphics. I liked the variety of the HOG scenes; straightforword HOGs, find the pairs, etc. I'm glad I bought it!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 20, 11 4:14 PM
Finished the demo and am thinking of buying this game. Lately I have been feeling like I am getting sick of playing HOGs, but this is a HOG with some unusual twists which is why I think some people here were so disappointed with it. Perhaps they were expecting a regular HOG type game, and judging from the demo this is not. It seems as if there are puzzles and lots of interactiveness within most of the H0 scenes, which I like, since I get bored doing H0 scenes without interactiveness or some kind of twist to them. One of the H0 scenes that I played in this game reminded me of the H0 scenes in Dark Dimensions City of Fog, which were really interactive and I enjoy playing H0 scenes like that. Objects you found in the scene went in to your inventory and then were used to open or reveal other objects. It was fun and a bit challenging, and I am hoping that there are other H0 scenes like that in this game. Another one of the H0 scenes involved finding objects that a mother wouldn't approve of a child having. The objects weren't listed, you were just told how many you had to find, and you had to figure out on your own what they were. I liked that as well since it made it more interesting and challenging than your average H0 scene.

I also found the story to be original and interesting. I am definitely intrigued about what will happen next. If you like conventional HOGs, then you might want to demo this game before you buy it, even if you like previous games in the series, because so far it does not seem to be a conventional HOG. But if you are sick of the typical HOG like I am you might want to give this a try because it definitely seems different than your average game.

Wolvo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Wolvo on Nov 26, 11 12:06 PM
Hmmm started off really enjoying this game but in the end it felt unsatisfactory. Some overly precise clicking required, some puzzles that felt illogical and it seemed short, certainly compared to Citadels of Time . Its very pretty though so I only rate it about a C for gameplay although its a good story with some interesting hidden object variations.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Dec 8, 11 4:36 PM
OK, here's my review for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands:

Graphics: It doesn't get much better than this! The colors were sharp, clear and clean. I usually play my games after dark instead of sitting in front of the TV, and although dark and spooky is my favorite, I am also thrilled to see the bright and beautiful colors of a game such as this one. Widescreen option was offered in Options.

Voices/Sounds: Sadly, there were no voices, but Options had Sound FX, Music & Ambient volumes which was greatly appreciated.

Music: The music IMO was just okay - nothing really special. Once I realized that it didn't add much to the game, I turned it down quite a bit.

Minis/HOGs: The minis were mostly on the easy side, but the HOGs could be a little challenging. Items were cleverly hidden on top or beside other items. I don't like it when items are hidden beneath something else & just barely peeking out, but that was not the case in this game. I also liked how a few of the HOGs turned into minis after the last item was found - true Hidden Expedition style!

Game Overall: I've played all the Hidden Expedition games, and I have loved every one of them. Their themes are different from most other Hidden Object Games, and the challenges are fun and different also. This one took me about 6 hours to play, maybe a bit more. Although I would have preferred better music & some voice-overs, I still give Floodlights & Big Fish high marks and hope to see another Hidden Expedition soon. I would also suggest starting up a different story cuz I can see how someone might be lost with the present storyline if they hadn't played the previous game. I was really looking forward to playing this, and I was not disappointed!

Recommendation: For HOG lovers, fishes looking for something different, and for those of us tired of car crashes and finding our sister/brother/father/mother/uncle/lovers, I think you'll really appreciate this one.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one:

Go to: