tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mysteryville 2

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 1, 11 12:52 PM
This is the reason I love reviews!! I hate silhouetted HOG's. Not even going to try this game. Thanks everyone!

Edited on 11/01/2011 at 12:52:37 PM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 1, 11 2:59 PM
whats funny is, 3-4 years ago, this game was all the rage. Funny how things change =)

gracehjs
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by gracehjs on Nov 1, 11 3:02 PM
Mysteryville was one of the first HOGs I played back in 2007 and I loved it. I also loved Pirateville, Christmasville etc. I agree that this one is no different from the ones produced back then.
I too have moved on the more adventurous games, but I still like this one. So, it will be a buy for me and I do recommend it to newbies.

Grace

ibnurdreamz
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by ibnurdreamz on Nov 2, 11 3:43 AM
I wanted to like this game, but not so much! Graphics were okay I guess but nothing memorable about them. Just not impressed at all. Sad to say, I just wish that BF would start putting up some games that were worth trying...

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 2, 11 5:00 AM
There are some things I really dislike in a game..let's see
1) a timer with music to add to the stress
oh, this game has that..yuk!
2)black screen that you have to find stuff with a little flashlight..oh, it has this in it too! double yuk
3)too much written dialogue which isn't even funny or clever that you have to click through..-oh this gem has that in spades!
4)penality..not just a timer working against you but if you click on a general square shaped thing not knowing at all what it is..and it's wrong..you get a penality of 20 seconds against you! oh Whoohoo!
5)slow "tip" button

well, well..this game has almost all the things I hate in a game. Along with the stilted gameplay and obviously poorly translated chat..it seems very ancient. From what back bin did BFG dig this one up from? Please, no more.
This game puts this developer up there with the H20 games. Dreaded and discarded.
kris

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Nov 2, 11 8:16 AM
Game Length: About 90 minutes for fast players.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Nov 2, 11 12:54 PM
As most others have already said, this game is no longer up to par with the current games in any way. I instantly remembered the first Mysteryville and how I thought it was clever and well done, but that was eons ago and things have progressed. I do think beginners would enjoy it though. Will try it on 8 yr old granddaughter when she visits next time.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 2, 11 9:22 PM
megwoman25 wrote:whats funny is, 3-4 years ago, this game was all the rage. Funny how things change =)

Yes, three, four, or five years ago it was. But unlike Mystery Case Files, which also debuted around that time, this game has not evolved past the initial concept. Think about the original MCF and how each game got more intriguing in storyline and playability. This one; what was cutting edge 5 years ago is a snooze-fest now. Not to mention it has the worst dialoge ever written.
Better luck tomorrow, fishies!

Edited on 11/02/2011 at 9:23:15 PM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 3, 11 1:33 AM
I must be one of the odd ones out on this one. I remember the older one and liked that one too. It was kind of nice to play just an "old-fashioned" HOG for a change. Kind of relaxing even though there was a timer. I only had a run-in with the timer 2 times during the demo. I replayed the level and kept going. I have to admit I am a couple days of behind on reviews too. We were in the snowstorm up in the Northeast and had no power for a couple of days, so I am a couple of days behind in games.
I would have to rate this an 8 out of 10.

[Post New]by ThoughtFox on Nov 7, 11 1:56 PM
Awful! I don't think even children or beginners would like this. Surely they are also aware of the advances that have become commonplace over the last few years. The dialogue is truly dreadful and there is hardly any storyline. It's all very muddled and pointless. A waste of time.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 9, 11 7:14 PM
well, color me green and call me fuzzy, but i'm having some serious deja vu...

seems like the mysteryville folks haven't stepped forward in time with the rest of us - they're still rockin' it old style

unfortunately, i like my games new and improved and at least a little bit up to date

how this game got made... will remain a mystery

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 19, 12 7:56 PM
I am not sure why this game was rated with 4/5 stars. Its basically a straight HOG + jigsaw puzzle. Ok its has 2 modes, by item list and silhouette of that item. Its more of the same theme throughout the game! Its either find a bunch of cards, glasses, whatever. Its so silly and non-sense and no logic at all!

I dont even know why the main detective character had to go around the entire town to search for objects and everywhere he/she went, there is chaos, and the place need help to sort out, be it a bunch of fruits etc.

Its really on the same old premise as Mysterville (the original game). This is the part 2, which is 1 part too many!

Objects are easy to find 95% of the time, and hint is pretty slow though. Its ok if u got it free and just want a game to play to while away the time. I got the full version by borrowing from the library

Rating: 2/5

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 13, 12 6:30 PM

All I am going to say is this game gave me the punch I needed for a new card for only $2.99 and tonight I'm feeling so brain dead and rotten physically that I'm actually enjoying it.

After tonight, well, um, hmm, not sure it will stay on my BFG Game Manager....

We'll see.

It IS nice to see a town without aliens, monsters, collapsed buildings, weird symbols, or entities with an angst to take over the world etc etc for a change... (I'm trying to be positive here).

Eh, to all a good night.

eta: I'm quite certain this game is very 'tongue in cheek' and not meant to be taken so seriously as many reviewers are fuming about it's quirky aspects and, of course, it IS simple as far as playability features... I found quite a lot of humor in it along with the mystery to solve... as different and 'old school' as it is, it's actually a fun change of pace IMO.

Edited on 11/13/2012 at 10:31:07 PM PST

dmih73
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by dmih73 on Nov 19, 12 5:50 PM
I guess I'm an odd person, too, Emu3, I like the game, too. Relaxing game HOG for me!

Go to: