lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

Re:Reviews for Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 3, 11 6:57 AM
I wanted to buy it directly from the developer's website like i did with Phantasmat CE , but they don't have an online store .

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 3, 11 7:02 AM
Well, the devs really tried to give us all we want. Thanks devs!

But... and I'm in the minority here, at least for this moment... this game doesn't grab me right away. It has to do with the drawing style and the colours, and the look of the H0 scenes. It all depresses me somewhat, really get the feeling being drawn back to long forgotten, dusty places no one cares about anymore. Death atmosphere, brrr...

Of course it might very well be what the devs were aiming at, but I don't like it so far, being a very atmosphere-sensitive player. So, I'm on the fence with this one, in spite of the fact that I really do like voice-overs in a game...

This CE gets 3 out of 5 from me, so far. I'll be coming back to read some more reviews, maybe even wait for people having finished this CE, before I decide wether or not to hit the 'BUY' button.

Anyway, to all already playing this one: Enjoy!

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Nov 3, 11 7:16 AM
I'm a pretty tough customer, play any and all Hidden Object games and it seems lately all the CE games weren't even up to snuff to play, never mind paying the price. I don't comment often either, but this game is wonderful. Wonderful to look at, with all the bells and whistles. I love when the strategy guide keeps up with you and in the casual play the sparkles are not too obnoxious, like the recent Pied Piper game, which otherwise was great too. Game play is just challenging enough, the story is interesting, I'm so excited. Thanks to all who made and brought us this nice treat.

Edited on 11/03/2011 at 10:23:09 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 3, 11 7:32 AM
(Disclaimer--after about 30-or-so minutes with the demo)

Wowee, Yowee, Zowee! I do believe that the developers (Artifex Mundi) have given us another classic to rival Enigmatis...! Another "spooky mansion" game? Yeah, but this one's a cut above the others, IMHO!

The intro is fantastic, and the Options Menu has the right stuff: the game cursor works well, and changes, depending on the task (hand, arrow, magnifying glass, etc.); the music is just a little overbearing; there's a screen choice; two gameplay modes (yep--"sparklies" in the Regular mode). Voice acting early on is superb--our "heroine" (of course, a girl, not a guy) sounds very much like Olivia Newton-John!

The graphics, like Enigmatis..., are superb. The H0 scenes I've seen are a bit cluttered, but not the "squint-your-eyes" type. And, they're interactive, which I enjoy. There's a "sonar" feature (lower right) that shows silhouettes of items; the Hint function re-ups pretty quickly. How about the "Integrated" Strategy Guide? Yes--it's "integrated," not the "Exit to Main Menu" type. And the whole shebang is available in the demo! WTG, developers!

This CE ranks near the top of the $13.99 BFG offerings--if I was allowed to, I'd set off "Skyrockets" to Artifex Mundi!

Regards, elldee

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 3, 11 7:33 AM
lackoo wrote:So is this as great as the Phantasmat CE ?

Not even close.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 3, 11 7:42 AM
CasualGran wrote:Well, the devs really tried to give us all we want. Thanks devs!

But... and I'm in the minority here, at least for this moment... this game doesn't grab me right away. It has to do with the drawing style and the colours, and the look of the H0 scenes. It all depresses me somewhat, really get the feeling being drawn back to long forgotten, dusty places no one cares about anymore. Death atmosphere, brrr...

Of course it might very well be what the devs were aiming at, but I don't like it so far, being a very atmosphere-sensitive player. So, I'm on the fence with this one, in spite of the fact that I really do like voice-overs in a game...

This CE gets 3 out of 5 from me, so far. I'll be coming back to read some more reviews, maybe even wait for people having finished this CE, before I decide wether or not to hit the 'BUY' button.

Guess we are two in the minority. I couldn't agree with you more. It doesn't grab me either. Colors, what colors?. I feel like I have to wash the vaseline out of my eyes due to the blurry washed out scenes. I am also an atmosphere sensitive player and this game is not up to par IMO. Blurry does not equate to spooky. So far it is not worthy of the CE price for me. And I do agree with you also, I liked the voice overs, but thats were it ends for me.

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Nov 3, 11 8:08 AM
I am impressed with all of the wonderful reviews. I have never bought a game without trying it. Based on all of the positives being said I did purchase this without trying it! Thanks to all of the other fishies for giving me and others such thoughtful, consistent, and helpful reviews. I am off to play. Hooray!!!

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Nov 3, 11 8:27 AM
CasualGran wrote:

Of course it might very well be what the devs were aiming at, but I don't like it so far, being a very atmosphere-sensitive player.

Totally agree!!! This game is not for me.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 3, 11 9:19 AM
I beta tested this. The trial took me about 1hr 20mins. This review is just on that (my memory)

I was disappointed that I wasn't the same character as the last game*, but the mansion is the same (edit -* time mysteries inheritance). Also I don't care for that style of graphics, as fishies said before me, they just look washed out to me. Also it was your standard junk pile.

BUT, what hasn't been said (I don't think?) is there is an interactive map, that becomes available a bit later. A transporter map! There are different places you can go to. But when it takes you to to one place, it is set in different time periods. So you can only accomplish different things, in different time periods. That part was good.

Because of the interactive map, and the time zones I feel this game is elevated. I like the interactions, there weren't that many puzzles but the game was fun and I have been waiting for it for a while.

Don't know about getting the CE, will wait till others finish it and see if it's worth it.

Edited on 11/03/2011 at 1:15:11 PM PST

ranger05
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by ranger05 on Nov 3, 11 9:19 AM
Love it. Will definitely buy. The HOS scenes are not real easy and I like that. I played the entire demo and was sorry when it ended.

mcscooby
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mcscooby on Nov 3, 11 10:16 AM
Awesome Game! Didn't have to finish the demo to know that it was a definate buy!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 3, 11 10:21 AM
gingergal wrote:

BUT, what hasn't been said (I don't think?) is there is an interactive map, that becomes available a bit later. A transporter map! There are different places you can go to. But when it takes you to to one place, it is set in different time periods. So you can only accomplish different things, in different time periods. That part was good.

Yes, there is - you can "jump" from year to another year only to check if there is any activity there, jump to another year, in a linked room and finish the activity.
For instance: if you find oil in some year, you can use it in different year and accomplish the activity. Very comfortable movement.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 3, 11 10:35 AM
Oh, I don't know where to begin.

I LOVED Enigmatis, and when I heard this was from the same dev, I was happy and sad all at the same time... happy 'cos I wanted to play and sad 'cos I bought 3 games in the sale and can't really justify paying for a CE as well as my usual credit.

When I started to play, I KNEW this wasn't going to be anywhere near as good as it's predecessor. Don't get me wrong, it's a good, good game, but not special, for me. The graphics were a bit grainy and blurry, and stretched out on my monitor (which never normally happens), and the story didn't really grip me in the 50 mins I played before I reached the end of the sample version. I "get" the premise of time travelling, but didn't really think it added much to the game at this stage... but obviously it's a big part of the story so should become more interesting as things progress. The H0 scenes weren't great, either. And I HATE the "sonar" thing which shows you the silhouettes only. I want a HINT button with my H0s please! (Don't know if this is different in casual mode? I played on advanced/expert mode). And that moon pendant thing irritated me too. Why re-use an inventory item over and over, especially if the voiceover keeps saying "My moon pendant will fit in there too"? Just don't bother, and have those areas unlocked!

Having said all that, I did quite enjoy the game, just nowhere near as much as I'd hoped. It seemed a little clumsy to me, especially after playing the crisper Echoes of the Past no.3. I don't think it warrants being a CE, for me. I will definitely get it when it comes out as an SE, but I can happily wait a few weeks and save myself some £££

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Nov 3, 11 11:29 AM
Wow! This is a simply superb, stupendous, marvelous, fantastic, (etc., etc.,) game. I adore every aspect of it. The graphics are crisp, clear and very well done. I think this game far outshines Phantasmat, and don't get me wrong, I loved Phantasmat, but I found this game much more intriguing and held my attention completely. It's even better than the first Time Mysteries (IMHO) My hat goes off to the devs on this one!! Keep 'em comin'!!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 3, 11 12:00 PM
Review based on part of demo: Beautiful game with all the "bells and whistles"! I just love wandering around those old mansions. You never know what is around the corner or hiding in the next room! H0 scenes aren't bad..just have to look a little harder for some objects - or switch to the M3 and play that way. I didn't know there was a "silhouette" button to show the outlines of objects but will look for that next time I play. I didn't have the speakers on but, again, will do that when I resume the game.

There are so many much more detailed reviews so I won't go over those aspects again....just know I agree with them!!!

All in all - This game "is what I'm talkin' about!" and is a definite CE buy for me!!!

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Nov 3, 11 12:09 PM
Well, make me #4 in the minority. It's too bad the devs had to ruin what could have been a really great game with junk pile h. o. scenes and all of the haziness. It's a good thing the hint button recharged immediately, or I would have gotten a headache trying to find the items...I just ended up sitting here half of the time and hitting the hint button time after time out of sheer frustration. I also like the scenes to be crisp and clear. I assume the devs think it makes the game seem more eerie to make you look through smog; but for a lot of us, it just makes it harder for us to find things. This isn't the first time I've decided not to buy a game for these exact same reasons. I don't know how people can describe graphics as crisp and clear when you are looking through a haze, and everything has a grey/green tinge to it. After reading the rave reviews, I was really looking forward to playing this game. But now, I'm just disappointed. Another good chance at a CE gone down the drain.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Nov 3, 11 12:11 PM
For Rachieross: The HINT button is in the lower left hand corner...seperate from the sonar button.

TexasAnn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by TexasAnn on Nov 3, 11 12:21 PM
This was an awesome game. I was a little leery because of the appearance of the hog scenes (which were a little monochromatic for me), but that was the only issue I had. It was a lot of fun to play.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 3, 11 12:54 PM
Awesome reviews. I wasn't quite sure about this game, even with the reviews, but I like it. The HOGs seemed a bit too messy and yes, I agree, the color needs to be much better. Too many items blend into each other. Music was a bit annoying after a while, but I learned to ignore it. Nice voice over, very nice graphics and game play. I will definitely purchase this one. Thanks!

Now I'm hoping for some really good SE games so I can use all my credits this month.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 3, 11 1:08 PM
And I'm number 5. I've gone in and out of this game. I am not that impressed. For me to buy a CE now I have to be so involved I can't wait to know what's in store. For this game, I'm just not that interested. I think it's a very good game, but I can wait for the SE.

Go to: